• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which wrestling squad is your favorite? (Four horsemen/DX/NWO/NoD/)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

Wrestling has had many "squads" over the years. These squads generally consisted of a group of wrestlers getting together to form a overpowering block, sometimes equal, other times to protect a individual person.

Of the squads, which is your favorite, and why?

I will mention the five main ones.

Four Horsemen- considered by many to be the GOAT squad and unlike many coward heels, all of them were fairly badass. They consisted of:Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson and Tully Blanchard.

c2132de9dc2bc368e883c7519de82e11.jpg

DX- DX was Shawn Michaels brain child and basically up ended conventional wrestling shows with their what i call "Beavis and butthead" behavior. None the less they were EXTREMELY popular and helped usher in the Attitude era. Their members were :Shawn Michaels (founder/leader), Triple H, Chyna, Rick Rude, although many remember X Pac, Road Dawg and Mr. Ass as well.
224413e4f464e7b6d9385ec816e81978.jpeg

NWO- Perhaps the biggest shocker in wrestling history was when Hulk Hogan turned "heel" and went back, eventually joining the Outsiders to form "The New World Order". The NWO was a dominant force in all of wrestling, with WWE copying and creating "DX" after them (they deny it). NWO was so unorthodox and popular they single handedly brought WWE to its knees.

Their core members were "HOLLYWOOD" Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Now eventually it would seem like everyone in WCW was in NWO or some spin off, but still they were pretty powerful, and Hogan literally made men and children cry at his turn.
NWO.jpg

Nation of Domination-A team based on Nation of Islam/Black Panther parody. It was pretty controversial, mostly because they were a team of all black men with "islam" like head garbs on and they cut wicked promos. They basically made The Rock a household name, and it was the beginning of his rise to stardom.

300px-Da_Nation.jpg

Their core members everyone remembers are: Rocky Maivia/The Rock, Kama Mustafa, D'Lo Brown, Ron Simmons, Mark Henry.

So of those squads, which is your favorite? Or did I miss your favorite squad?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
first post hit the OP with a chair, close the thread

NWO Wolfpac

The Nation

Cool theme music, D-Lo Brown being from every country in Europe, Ron Simmons telling folks the uncomfortable truth, birth of The Godfather, birth of the Rock.

I preferred them to DX when I was growing up.

Of these groups The Horsemen.

But The Bullet Club is dominating wrestling on 2 different continents so they are the true winners.

Edit: Owen Hart was a NOD member.

Sephzilla

The answer is the Four Horsemen. The original Four Horsemen consisted of wrestlers who all could have been top of the card, or near there, talents. They looked invincible together. And they still managed to put other talents over big time. The Four Horsemen basically did everything you wanted out of a heel wrestling stable.

The nWo was cool at first, but it got too bloated, lost track of what it's original image was (a WWF invasion of WCW), and they basically put nobody over because the nWo was the pinnacle of backstage politicking.

DX was a juvenile nWo that hasn't aged well at all in any of its versions. OG DX was some cringeworthy 90s shit that was also tied to all of HBK and HHH's backstage politicking bullshit. HHH-DX was stupid and it was the genesis of HHH believing he was an actual main eventer. Nu-DX was the HowAreYouFellowKids.gif of wrestling stables.

Nation of Domination was alright, but in the big picture they didn't do much outside of launch Rock's career.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The Flock was pretty cool, though WCW had no idea what to do with them after they got popular. So much talent was in that stable.

v3numb

Just a correction OP, Ahmed Johnson wasn't in the Nation of Domination, that was Ron "Farooq Asaad" Simmons.

Tom Nook

The Flock was pretty cool, though WCW had no idea what to do with them after they got popular. So much talent was in that stable.

That group had potential. They would sit in the crowd and when they're called up to wrestle, no theme music just go into the ring.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Watching dx as a dumb teenager was very memorable. Definitely my favorite stable. If I had been a bit older I might have found them juvenile and stupid...naw who am I kidding I'd still have loved it.

kapowza

Yeah they feuded with him for like 2 years (he kept getting injured) then he heel turned and joined the NoD, then like 2 days later they beat him up and kicked him out again. It was stupid bullshit.

Ronin Ray

The Nation

Cool theme music, D-Lo Brown being from every country in Europe, Ron Simmons telling folks the uncomfortable truth, birth of The Godfather, birth of the Rock.

I preferred them to DX when I was growing up.

I am in the same boat. They had the talent and everything in place to be greatest ever but for obvious reasons they weren't pushed that way.

Ron Simmons as Faarooq should have been given the world title . I also liked when they added Owen Hart.

Also that DX black face shit was terrible.

Sephzilla

The Big Dog and the Architect. Stacked squad.

oh and that other guy too, he has fun promos.

Honestly, The Shield really was a fantastic little stable. All three wrestlers complimented each other really well and masked everyone's flaws. They always seemed to get booked pretty well. People got over through the Shield while the Shield never really lost their intimidation factor.

Hart Foundation.

Shit. This is a fantastic answer, actually.

The nWo during the first year or so was the most interested I have ever been in wrestling, or tv for that matter.

I was also 13 years old, but the point stands.

DX was what made me switch to WWF from WCW. I think the Stone Cold vs. HBK and Mike Tyson storyline was my first exposure to them, and they had one of the last great stable rivalries with The Nation.

I loved the Four Horsemen as a kid. It was all Arn and Ric for me.

nWo started out great, then lost steam too quickly for me once they all became cannon fodder for Sting.

You also forgot The Radicals.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom