• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which wrestling squad is your favorite? (Four horsemen/DX/NWO/NoD/)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hart Foundation 97. Their heat/face reactions were insane. Unlike most heels who try to have the "cool" factor, they shitted on the American fans every chance they can. Plus they had those dope leather jackets.

Browny

Banned
Dangerous Alliance were amazing.
LIJ are great at the moment.

To the person who posted the Dungeon Of Doom:
they were great. "SULLIVAN!!!"

Wood Man

Akuma Chojin

TkM0IiC.gif

When you think about it, RTC actually won in the end.

woah.gif

Mark (lol) me down for a seat on the Hart Foundation '97 train. Especially when they pulled off being faces in Canada while being despised heels in the US. Not enough credit is given to the Harts for the post new-gen resurgence of the WWE as all of the focus is on Austin (understandably) and DX, who the WWE history re-writing machine likes to pretend is the most important faction of all time.

Remember the slow burn break up between the Owen and Davey tag team? And how it culminated in a match where Bret appeared and broke it up and talked them into uniting with him as a faction? You'd never get a story like that today's wrasslin.. I mean, entertainment.

Sephzilla

Mark (lol) me down for a seat on the Hart Foundation '97 train. Especially when they pulled off being faces in Canada while being despised heels in the US. Not enough credit is given to the Harts for the post new-gen resurgence of the WWE as all of the focus is on Austin (understandably) and DX, who the WWE history re-writing machine likes to pretend is the most important faction of all time.

Remember the slow burn break up between the Owen and Davey tag team? And how it culminated in a match where Bret appeared and broke it up and talked them into uniting with him as a faction? You'd never get a story like that today's wrasslin.. I mean, entertainment.

The feud with Austin and the Hart Foundation stuff is why I think Bret is one of the GOATs of professional wrestling. He made all of that stuff work so well and I don't think anybody could pull that stuff off.

DX is corny as hell
Bullet Club is (Now) corny as all hell
nWo was only cool for about a month before it let in fucking Virgil

Four Horseman will forever be one of the GOAT stables

The feud with Austin and the Hart Foundation stuff is why I think Bret is one of the GOATs of professional wrestling. He made all of that stuff work so well and I don't think anybody could pull that stuff off.

Yep, it was masterful. I loved the slow turn from his Survivor Series '96 return onwards, where he'd occasionally get visibly frustrated with the way he was being treated or deliver frustrated promos, before finally doing the double turn with Austin at Mania.

Today they would probably try to cram the story into one episode of RAW.

Currently: Los Ingobernables de Japon

All-time Favourite: The lWo. Eddie Guerrero was so fucking entertaining.

All-time Worst: DX. It's funny how Triple H has re-written WWE's history to make them appear like they were far more important than they were. They were fucking terrible.

As for others, I'm a big fan of the og Bullet Club, back when it was just Devitt, Karl Anderson, Bad Luck Fale and Tama Tonga but I was turned off once they turned into a blatant nWo knock off (though I'm still a big fan of a lot of them).

Speaking of which, the nWo was awesome at first but it dragged on way too long and had way too many red shirts.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hart Foundation was super good.

I would also throw in there Evolution.

I know they aren't actually the best stable of all time, but it launched 2 legit huge careers in Batista and Randy Orton and the aging Flair was fantastic in it, and was probably HHHs best run since DX broke up the first time.

It was a solid group. Obviously not the top group, but I'd say top tier.

Murkas

I don't follow NXT but were the Four Horsewomen actually a stable? I always got the impression that they were just 4 top women wrestlers who they dubbed the Four Horsewomen, but they didn't really go around as allies stomping people and cutting promos together in the ring etc.

Was that not the case?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't follow NXT but were the Four Horsewomen actually a stable? I always got the impression that they were just 4 top women wrestlers who they dubbed the Four Horsewomen, but they didn't really go around as allies stomping people and cutting promos together in the ring etc.

Was that not the case?

They're not a stable.

Yep, it was masterful. I loved the slow turn from his Survivor Series '96 return onwards, where he'd occasionally get visibly frustrated with the way he was being treated or deliver frustrated promos, before finally doing the double turn with Austin at Mania.

Today they would probably try to cram the story into one episode of RAW.

The promos Austin cut for that Survivor Series are in-fucking-credible.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP

Was that not the case?

Nah, it was less a stable and more WWE's brief lame attempt to co-opt Ronda Rousey's "Four Horsewomen" similar to the Balor Club/The Club.

The people trashing HHH are taking Bret Hart's HHH position to the extreme. Hart's point is that HHH doesn't have any truly classic, all-time great matches, and he's never innovated in the ring like other great wrestlers. But that doesn't mean he's bad. He's a very solid wrestler, solid on the mic, solid heel, solid worker, who performed well for 20 years. He's not an all time classic, but he's still one of the greats because he's performed very highly for his entire career. This is a business that had Lex Luger and The Ultimate Warrior in the top of the card for years.

See, that's all true, which is the issue. Solid isn't great.

When I think of practically any wrestler in the attitude era, I instantly think of a defining match.

Rock - vs Hogan, WMX8
Austin - vs. Rock, WMX7
Bret - vs. Austin, WM13
Undertaker - vs. Shawn Michaels, in your House
Mankind - vs. Undertaker, KoR 98

HHH....

What is his defining match? his magnum opus? Sure, he's been carried to great matches by others, but who did he carry to greatness? You used the word 'solid' a lot in your post. I agree wholeheartedly, he was always a solid worker. Solid is a long, long way from great.

Why would you let people on the internet dictate who you like ? I don't think most of these matches would qualify as classics and I found him boring in most of them. The hype built up around him never paid off for me in any way. Same feeling I had as a kid watching him wrestle that I do now. His evolution booking was so bad and predictable .

Hah, well it's not quite like that, it's more that with the ever increasing sentiment I see that Trips hasn't done much good in his career I tend to think "hang on a sec, he's not the best but he's had his share of moments" which in turn reminds me that I've never held much dislike for him and have had periods where I appreciated his work.
Wouldn't break my all time top 10 but I do consider him a strong part of WWE's best year in 2000.
Each to their own I guess, I'm a full on mark for Kane after all which im sure people find much worse.

I'm old.
Four Horsemen
The Freebirds
LCO
Jimmy Harts first family
Crazy Max
Raven's Flock in ECW
Heenan Family
The SuperPowers
My current favorite is Suzuki-Gun

Ronin Ray

Hah, well it's not quite like that, it's more that with the ever increasing sentiment I see that Trips hasn't done much good in his career I tend to think "hang on a sec, he's not the best but he's had his share of moments" which in turn reminds me that I've never held much dislike for him and have had periods where I appreciated his work.
Wouldn't break my all time top 10 but I do consider him a strong part of WWE's best year in 2000.
Each to their own I guess, I'm a full on mark for Kane after all which im sure people find much worse.

Nothing wrong with that but I guess the problem with HHH for me overall is to get those good moments he was given 100 chances with the best booking etc. So lets say 90 chances were boring and 10 chances were ok if that makes sense. HHH is pure booking to me like sting granted I only saw crow sting not suffer sting. All the build up then the very definition of basic boring nothing special ( well stings look was great ). I know I sound like I am on the bad wagon of hate but I have always felt that way. I think a lot of guys are better then HHH and weren't given a 10th of his booking and build up.

Also I think kane is a good big man I have never had a problem with him and he has good comedic skills when he gets the chance to use them.

a916

f34a827342679e94f117c478547631e5.jpg

Hart Foundation. What a collection of amazing and talented wrestlers. Such a damn shame it ended so soon.

Nothing wrong with that but I guess the problem with HHH for me overall is to get those good moments he was given 100 chances with the best booking etc. So lets say 90 chances were boring and 10 chances were ok if that makes sense. HHH is pure booking to me like sting granted I only saw crow sting not suffer sting. All the build up then the very definition of basic boring nothing special ( well stings look was great ). I know I sound like I am on the bad wagon of hate but I have always felt that way. I think a lot of guys are better then HHH and weren't given a 10th of his booking and build up.

Also I think kane is a good big man I have never had a problem with him and he has good comedic skills when he gets the chance to use them.

I get where you're coming from, by sheer tenure and company loyalty alongside that backstage influence he's had way more titles, mania main events and the like than he actually warrants.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'll go with the one with the best entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALFMYWFRjQs

I don't think WWE scratched the surface with them given how over they were at the time.

The greatest is the original horsemen. I grew up in Mid Atlantic territory, and the horsemen were incredibly over with the fans despite being heels. I think they are the originators of the cool heel gimmick really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom