• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which wrestling squad is your favorite? (Four horsemen/DX/NWO/NoD/)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pwc9Y9X.gif

No other faction can compare.

tumblr_mehwkuW58I1qzwhb0o1_400.gif

Sephzilla

Hart Foundation, though I remember the original tag team more fondly than their future incarnations. The Montreal Screwjob was one of the most devastating things my nine-year-old self had witnessed, hell even my disinterested dad very loudly said "WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT", but it made Michaels dropping the belt at WM14 all the more sweeter.

Fuck him and HHH.

In hindsight though, the Montreal Screwjob screwed us out of Austin vs Bret 3 at WrestleMania for the title

He was also put in every gimmick match against every top star and given the most time and leeway in matches.

Manufactured greatness when fans were too busy coming down from their Monday Night Wars high to notice or protest.

Fans noticed. HHH was pretty despised by the IWC for a long time.

latest

They fucked this right up by the end (of course) but damn it I'll always go to bat for the Nexus being one of the best things modern WWE had going for them, especially after the 2009 doldrums. They took jobbers and made them a threat, JOBBERS!
Wade Barrett got robbed.

I think we should all appreciate just how great a name change The Godfather to The Goodfather was.
PIMPIN' ISN'T EASY, IT'S HISTORY.

latest

They fucked this right up by the end (of course) but damn it I'll always go to bat for the Nexus being one of the best things modern WWE had going for them, especially after the 2009 doldrums. They took jobbers and made them a threat, JOBBERS!
Wade Barrett got robbed.

None of them were jobbers yet as they were all from NXT. Cena not putting them over at SS is supposedly a big regret of his.

None of them were jobbers yet as they were all from NXT. Cena not putting them over at SS is supposedly a big regret of his.

True, I should probably have said rookies.
That said Tarver was a straight up Jobber and not in the Heath Slater making a great run of it way.

To this day I'm still surprised that segment where they all beat on Vince happened, ol' Vinny Mac putting them over right there.

None of them were in NXT
Original weird reality show NXT with the pros and their rookies

impirius

Get up on your feet
Put your hands together
Sing along with 3 Count
We'll party on forever

We like the Backstreet Boys
N'Sync, too
Britney Spears is kinda cute
We watch TRL on MTV
Everybody 3 Count, 1-2-3
One!
Two!
Threeeeee!

Don't forget WCW's shameless DX ripoff
misfits4.jpg

I don't want to hear anybody say a bad word about General Hugh G. Rection

Ronin Ray

Horrendous take on DX, and you've insinuated that Triple H wasn't a legit main eventer after he proceeded to prove you wrong over two decades and dozens of classic matches, suck it!

Please list some of these dozens of classic matches. HHH is the ultimate used politics back stage to get a head .

Ronin Ray

Truth.

I did a brief revisit of the Attitude Era and DX was insufferable. Hart Foundation, Nation of Domination, and the Ministry of Darkness were all way better stables.

There is literally nothing memorable about The Brood or Gangrel outside of that (amazing) entrance. All of Edge and Christian's memorable stuff happened after the Brood broke up

This 100%

Please list some of these dozens of classic matches. HHH is the ultimate used politics back stage to get a head .

GAF is slowly turning me into a Trips mark, dozens of classics? hmm that's a bit of a stretch but I can happily give off a single dozen.

- Vs Cactus Jack (Royal Rumble 2000)
- Vs The Rock (Backlash 2000) Or substitute for the following Iron Man match
- Vs Jericho (Last Man Standing at Fully Loaded 2000)
- Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (No Way Out 2001)
-
Vs Kane (Chain match at Judgement Day 2001...*ahem* well I liked it!)
- With Stone Cold Vs Benoit and Jericho (2001 Raw ep where he tears his quad)
- Vs Shawn Michaels (Summerslam 2002)
- Vs Benoit and Shawn Michaels (WM 20)
- Vs Batista (Hell in a Cell at Vengeance 2005)
- Vs Cena (Night of Champions 2008)
- Vs Daniel Bryan (WM30)
- Vs Dean Ambrose (Roadblock 2016...seriously!)

You could maybe make a case for the HiaC match with Taker at WM28, it was so ridiculously overwrought it wraps back around to being kinda fun unlike the previous years resting on the canvas extravaganza.

Problem is he has plenty of underwhelming matches that are treated like the biggest shit ever in the booking (see the Lesnar/Orton/Taker series for example)
And a number of his duds fall in main event mania slots so it doesn't help his case.
He had a really stellar run of work from 2000-2001, his injury really did a number on him though and I will comfortably say his 2003 stuff is the absolute drizzling shits.

NWO would have been great if it lived and died in 2 years or so. But that it dragged on for an eternity, splintered into a thousand sub-groups, and then literally was virtually everybody but Sting in WCW, I got pretty sick of it. Also because the WCW product was so bad for several years, NWO was also a victim of that.

An underrated major wrestling faction was the Heenan Family, a collection of mostly jobber heels under Bobby Heenan and sometimes tagging with guys from Slick's group. A lovably horrible faction was the... Monsters of Destruction (?) or whatever their names were. Kevin Sullivan's monster heel faction before Hogan's heel turn and the formation of the NWO.

Of those, my lasting favorites would be the Four Horsemen. Just a classic stable that lasted and never really got old. Perhaps it was because we were all marks.

The people trashing HHH are taking Bret Hart's HHH position to the extreme. Hart's point is that HHH doesn't have any truly classic, all-time great matches, and he's never innovated in the ring like other great wrestlers. But that doesn't mean he's bad. He's a very solid wrestler, solid on the mic, solid heel, solid worker, who performed well for 20 years. He's not an all time classic, but he's still one of the greats because he's performed very highly for his entire career. This is a business that had Lex Luger and The Ultimate Warrior in the top of the card for years.

Ronin Ray

GAF is slowly turning me into a Trips mark, dozens of classics? hmm that's a bit of a stretch but I can happily give off a single dozen.

- Vs Cactus Jack (Royal Rumble 2000)
- Vs The Rock (Backlash 2000) Or substitute for the following Iron Man match
- Vs Jericho (Last Man Standing at Fully Loaded 2000)
- Vs Stone Cold Steve Austin (No Way Out 2001)
-
Vs Kane (Chain match at Judgement Day 2001...*ahem* well I liked it!)
- With Stone Cold Vs Benoit and Jericho (2001 Raw ep where he tears his quad)
- Vs Shawn Michaels (Summerslam 2002)
- Vs Benoit and Shawn Michaels (WM 20)
- Vs Batista (Hell in a Cell at Vengeance 2005)
- Vs Cena (Night of Champions 2008)
- Vs Daniel Bryan (WM30)
- Vs Dean Ambrose (Roadblock 2016...seriously!)

You could maybe make a case for the HiaC match with Taker at WM28, it was so ridiculously overwrought it wraps back around to being kinda fun unlike the previous years resting on the canvas extravaganza.

Problem is he has plenty of underwhelming matches that are treated like the biggest shit ever in the booking (see the Lesnar/Orton/Taker series for example)
And a number of his duds fall in main event mania slots so it doesn't help his case.
He had a really stellar run of work from 2000-2001, his injury really did a number on him though and I will comfortably say his 2003 stuff is the absolute drizzling shits.

Why would you let people on the internet dictate who you like ? I don't think most of these matches would qualify as classics and I found him boring in most of them. The hype built up around him never paid off for me in any way. Same feeling I had as a kid watching him wrestle that I do now. His evolution booking was so bad and predictable .

Really, no props to the stable that helped put New Japan on the Map for the western audience? The team that became the hottest stable outside of WWE since the WCW days?

Love em or hate em, they're one of the biggest impacts in recent wrestling history. They got me into New Japan, and while Los Ingobernables (de Japon) is the new hotness, gotta give props to the king.

Devitt+light+up+jacket.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom