• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White girl attacked for getting box braids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or having a booty is only acceptable when Iggy Azalea does it...

Vogue: We’re Officially in the Era of the Big Booty

Fuck Vogue magazine, that magazine and their fraternity of like minded peers turned their noses up at big booty culture for decades. This is the shit that should be the focus of anger and indignation, not harmless, well intentioned 14 year olds on twitter.

Anyway, whatever shit those twitter users went through to make them feel angry and bitter, they were wrong to do what they did.

Looks cute. Don't care about cultural appropriation whining. To me there are people who do things, and people who complain about people who do things. I like people who do things.

Lucumo

You've probably already left the thread never to return, but do you understand what the posters in here have been trying to say?

I only read most of the first page since I just returned from work. So I'm missing like 12 pages. Also, not sure what you are referring to.

Rembrandt

Banned
The real question is who the fuck continue to buy vogue or whatever high fashion magazine and give weight to what they say? They're like the oscar, a circlejerk for rich white kids, who the fuck cares about them, stop giving them money. Yeah i know this is literally the devil wear prada argument, but counter cultures have always existed and stood outside from those kind of standards, which are held only in fairly rich enviroments, in which case you're rich so who care.

The people that determine modern mainstream culture.

IMO the bolded doesn't describe institutional racism. It wasn't even explained to me until college and even then it took statistics to start wrapping my head around the issue.

I think denying improvement is a slap in the face to those who worked hard for the improvement we're all enjoying.

Out of curiosity, how would you define it?

I only read most of the first page since I just returned from work. So I'm missing like 12 pages. Also, not sure what you are referring to.

I'm saying do you understand that we're in agreement about the nature of the tweets but the main argument is the cultural appropriation going on in America and some may say she is unknowingly contributing to it. Nobody in here is saying she shouldn't wear it.

tbm24

Fuck Vogue magazine, that magazine and their fraternity of like minded peers turned their noses up at big booty culture for decades. The is the shit that should be the focus of anger and indignation, not harmless, well intentioned 14 year olds on twitter.

Anyway, whatever shit those twitter users went through to make them feel angry and bitter, they were wrong to do what they did.

Vogue maganize being its terrible self doesn't mean much. Big booty adoration has been going strong for years and years, Iggy is small time in comparison, though respectable.

Trey

Fuck Vogue magazine, that magazine and their fraternity of like minded peers turned their noses up at big booty culture for decades. The is the shit that should be the focus of anger and indignation, not harmless, well intentioned 14 year olds on twitter.

It is the focus, not little girls.

IMO the bolded doesn't describe institutional racism. It wasn't even explained to me until college and even then it took statistics to start wrapping my head around the issue.

I think denying improvement is a slap in the face to those who worked hard for the improvement we're all enjoying.

i think your casual dismissal of a response is a slap in the face to me. what am i enjoying really?

I owe everyone int his thread an apology. I've been a real jerk to y'all. I simply couldn't stand to be wrong about it. i understand how these things can cause distress, I wasn't thinking when I made my jerkish posts.

You're right, and I apologize.

I apologize for my increasing rage and how I started talking down to you. Live and let live and all that jazz.

Anteater

those braids look fucking cool tho

i'd tweet and tell her if i could remember my twitter password, you guys should encourage her

solomon

Black people (coming from a black guy) on twitter are using #BlackCulture for everything now, chill its just braids

Knox

This is part of living in a multicultural society. People adopting things from the traditional cultures around them is what is supposed to happen.

Trey

This is part of living in a multicultural society. People adopting things from the traditional cultures around them is what is supposed to happen.

While chastising and constantly dehumanizing the people from the culture it comes from? Nah.

Black women are on a whole other level when it comes to hair. Reminds of that Gabby Douglas incident at the London Olympics. She won the gold medal but all the black women could do was hate on her hair.

A blanket disregard for "people who complain about people who do things" is troublesome. You'll never know when a complaint is valid or why the complaint is being made.

isn't the type of blanket people already use? i see a lot of them in this very thread. makes it easy to sleep when you can just smother legitimate complaints and lay comfortably on top.

Yeah, in the multicultural city of Rotterdam (the Netherlands) i see this hair a lot. Is it rare in the US with white people?
People influence and inspire eachother.

Well, then. Suck it, other cultures!

My problem with your sentence is the word 'other'. How do you define a culture? Where are the boundaries? Seems so artificial and helps to keep people separated by labels. So yeah, suck it all labeled cultures. We are slowly becoming a world culture, and people's fashions and styles will always inspire others. I see no problem with it at all.

Samara

She looks nice.Its a great style.

I understand why those kids are angry, but this is not it. I agree that when a white person has what is seen as an undesirable black feature and gets a pass or act like they never seen it before, then yes, that's not fair.

This however is nothing to be mad at. Just the same old 'oh you think you're black'. Its as grating as hearing 'oh you think you're white because...'.

She looks nice.Its a great style.

I understand why those kids are angry, but this is not it. I agree that when a white person has what is seen as an undesirable black feature and gets a pass or act like they never seen it before, then yes, that's not fair.

This however is nothing to be mad at. Just the same old 'oh you think you're black'. Its as grating as hearing 'oh you think you're white because...'.

yep! both are separately but equally as grating!

SonnyBoy

Yeah, in the multicultural city of Rotterdam (the Netherlands) i see this hair a lot. Is it rare in the US with white people?
People influence and inspire eachother.

Black women are often looked down upon for having their hair in it's natural state or "black hairstyles". They feel as if they must conform to societal fashion standards to avoid discrimination and negativity.

Rembrandt

Banned
My problem with your sentence is the word 'other'. How do you define a culture? Where are the boundaries? Seems so artificial and helps to keep people separated by labels. So yeah, suck it all labeled cultures. We are slowly becoming a world culture, and people's fashions and styles will always inspire others. I see no problem with it at all.

It's not really inspiration when the stealer is credited as the inventor, though, is it?

Black women are often looked down upon for having their hair in it's natural state or "black hairstyles". They feel as if they must conform to societal fashion standards to avoid discrimination and negativity.
Yeah i heard about that, and that's a shame. But that's not really what i asked. I asked if this hairstyle is rare for white people in the US (in big multicultural cities, to be more exact).
But i think it's a shame that black women feel the need to do that. And it's even worse for them when white girls are considered hip when they adopt a similar hairstyle.

SonnyBoy

Yeah i heard about that, and that's a shame. But that's not really what i asked. I asked if this hairstyle is rare for white people in the US (in big multicultural cities, to be more exact).
But i think it's a shame that black women feel the need to do that. And it's even worse for them when white girls are considered hip when they adopt a similar hairstyle.

Sorry about that. It's not common to see white women with braids, at least not in Baltimore lol.

Trey

It's not rare in the sense that you won't ever see a white woman wear it around your neighborhood (though I suppose it depends on what kind of neighborhood you live in). It's rare in the sense that the vast majority of white women will wear their hair a different way.

And black women don't feel the need to chastise this girl. It's not a thing that's inherent to the black woman experience.

Sorry about that. It's not common to see white women with braids, at least not in Baltimore lol.
Okay, thanx. I was curious about that.
It's not rare in the sense that you won't ever see a white woman wear it around your neighborhood (though I suppose it depends on what kind of neighborhood you live in). It's rare in the sense that the vast majority of white women will wear their hair a different way.

And black women don't feel the need to chastise this girl. It's not a thing that's inherent to the black woman experience.
Yeah the vast majority of white women will wear their hair different in Rotterdam too. But i see it quite often.

How people can't see they are being racist by picking on a girl (or defending those who are) with braids because she is white is beyond me. The way racism/discrimination in the States is trending, I believe things are only going to worse before they get better.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
2bg29-copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom