• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White girl attacked for getting box braids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Mog

Personally I think that hair style is hideous and that no woman of any race should ever wear it unless they are being cast in the next Predator movie, but my opinion, just like those of everyone else are irrelevant; all that matters is that she likes it, and nobody should give her shit for it, especially with comments that are racist and reinforce stereotypes.

wsippel

Banned
Since forever.
Not really. Pretty much all hairdos known to man are much older than written history itself, it's impossible to truly attribute anything to anybody. And braids in particular are one of the very oldest hairdo we know of. Even then, the oldest records are 5500 years old, humanity as a whole is much, much older - chances are braids are much older as well. In fact, they almost certainly are.

Now fashion could be attributed, but then again, fashion is in constant flux, not to mention highly cyclical, and researching trends often leads to... interesting results. If a trend becomes popular, it's almost never the achievement of a single person, subculture, ethnicity or region.

yeah i think most of us can agree the girl is hardly at fault, and that it's open to interpretation of a subject enough that nobody should be actively attacking her even if she was of age. It's a complicated subject.

I think what the detractors of this girl have failed to do is prove that it's cultural appropriation in a truly negative sense. It's much easier to make the argument when people tattoo the incorrect Chinese character on their body or wear a Native American war bonnet to an EDM festival. These things are so out of context that you can't help but see it as bullshit but people see others doing it so they assume it's acceptable. This hairstyle would be harder to prove that it hasn't simply been assimilated into the mainstream since it's come and gone in and out of style.

That said, I can also understand the frustration from black women who take it personally as they feel they've depended on braids just to manage their hair and get on in society. It's probably frustrating to see some little white girl just adopt the hairstyle because it's coming back into style.

Seriously, this is what america is now? I'll never set a foot there then, what a joke that white people can get threatened, insulted and bullied without consequences but the world would explode if it went the other way..

What makes you believe this? I'm curious.

Edit: I see. I don't think anyone here is defending those comments. The girl in the photos is a victim of Internet harassment, plain and simple. The discussion however, has moved on to why these sentiments exist, and why it isn't completely unfounded. No one is endorsing the misguided attacks coming from those Tweets.

wsippel

Banned
Boss★Moogle;148372490 said:
Personally I think that hair style is hideous and that no woman of any race should ever wear it unless they are being cast in the next Predator movie, but my opinion, just like those of everyone else are irrelevant; all that matters is that she likes it, and nobody should give her shit for it, especially with comments that are racist and reinforce stereotypes.
Rarely have I agreed so much with any post, especially one that's longer than three words.

leakey

I prefer to keep my cultures separate, as that is the best path to equality. Take, for instance, Hollywood culture:
tumblr_n0y4zqBrxu1rqkjy0o1_1280.jpg
better keep that shit away from me.

Really, though, it's sad that the girl got verbal abuse for copying something she thought was cool. Isn't that human nature?

Rembrandt

Banned

Reinforce which stereotypes exactly?

Sioen

What makes you believe this? I'm curious.

Edit: I see. I don't think anyone here is defending those comments. The girl in the photos is a victim of Internet harassment, plain and simple. The discussion however, has moved on to why these sentiments exist, and why it isn't completely unfounded. No one is endorsing the misguided attacks coming from those Tweets.
Yes I admit I might be a bit wrong, this is more of an American issue which I maybe don't know enough about to have a clear opinion so I apologize for that..

Majmun

Braids look phenomenal if you can rock them

jVRIrwTH3oCwc.jpg

jSNLvfj1NpDBJ.jpg

jXwOeg3USTOy7.jpg

Enzom21

Please elaborate on what these stereotypes are.

T

I

M

E

O

U

T

that Sloan post wasn't sarcasm?

i totally thought it was just a dig on all of the people who just pop in and spout off on 'people defending' bla bla and bounce. i mean, the whole bit about if it was reversed. man, i need to get an oil change and tune up on my meter.

rexor0717

I understand the source of their anger, but it doesn't make it any less racist to harass this girl for being white and having braids. This is a weak example of cultural appropriation.

Hideous? Really?

go on...

I think the sad thing here is that she let it get to her and apologized for it. She's only 11 or 12, so I don't fault her on not taking a stand. My problem is that by doing so, a lot of racists just had their opinion validated in their own head.

Not really. Pretty much all hairdos known to man are much older than written history itself, it's impossible to truly attribute anything to anybody. And braids in particular are one of the very oldest hairdo we know of. Even then, the oldest records are 5500 years old, humanity as a whole is much, much older - chances are braids are much older as well. In fact, they almost certainly are.

Now fashion could be attributed, but then again, fashion is in constant flux, not to mention highly cyclical, and researching trends often leads to... interesting results. If a trend becomes popular, it's almost never the achievement of a single person, subculture, ethnicity or region.

Someone might have even invented the gas mask in prehistory, too

AfroMW

Rarely have I agreed so much with any post, especially one that's longer than three words.

Interesting, please tell me more regarding how you feel about this.

Thanks, I did read your previous comments and hoped for more clarification.

I can understand being defensive because there is a history taking from black culture while actively hiding and/or dismissing its roots. Do you think that this sort of conscious, racist appropriation is as prevalent today? For example, the twerking thing. Do you think people consciously thought that this would be the next big thing for white people and wanted to hide the fact that black people have been doing it for years? Or do you think that ignorance and carelessness is to blame?

Is people liking Macklemore or Iggy Azalea because they're white, despite them putting out the same type of music that blacks have, a conscious effort to keep black culture hidden (honestly don't know because I don't really know who those two are). It seems to me that it's more a subconscious desire to embrace ideas that come from non-threatening/ideal/representative figures AKA white people. That in itself is also a battle to be fought, but I think it's hard to get angry at individuals for this.
kind of like the subconscious desire to shoot minorities more often and in more varying situations? or the subconscious desire to hire people with white sounding names even when their resumes are worse? or the subconscious desire to clutch your purse etc?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Do anyone actually know the girls twitter?

or a link to an article about this?
maybe i missed it in past pages

This is what stood out the most for me. Do some people really think that way?

Bodies...lips...huh?

Wonder what the author of this comment thinks of the abounding number of black youth who proudly wore mohawks, or are strongly into anime, comics and other aspects of pop culture that aren't of "Black origin".

Boss Mog

Braids look phenomenal if you can rock them

jVRIrwTH3oCwc.jpg

jSNLvfj1NpDBJ.jpg

jXwOeg3USTOy7.jpg

I'm sure some guys think they look great and love em but even without the braids themselves I don't like long hair that is straight and falls flat . To me women with long hair look best when that hair is a little wavy and has more volume to it like this:

b.jpeg

Boss★Moogle;148379102 said:
I'm sure some guys think they look great and love em but even without the braids themselves I don't like long hair that is straight and falls flat . To me women with long hair look best when that hair is a little wavy and has more volume to it like this:

b.jpeg

And for black women to keep their hair like that is expensive and scarring.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This is fucking Azalea Banks/Iggy Azalea all over again.

"They took er culture!" She can do whatever the fuck she wants with her fucking hair.

Seriously, fuck off with that shit. It would have been like me getting upset at the Asian dude I saw the other day wearing a Greece soccer team tracksuit. Get the fuck over it.

Wonder what the author of this comment thinks of the abounding number of black youth who proudly wore mohawks, or are strongly into anime, comics and other aspects of pop culture that aren't of "Black origin".

Punk isn't inherently white culture. Like, when a person gets a mohawk, they aren't doing it because they're white or want to look white, it's because they're punk or want to look punk. At best, they can be criticized for appropriating punk culture.

This is fucking Azalea Banks/Iggy Azalea all over again.

"They took er culture!" She can do whatever the fuck she wants with her fucking hair.

Seriously, fuck off with that shit. It would have been like me getting upset at the Asian dude I saw the other day wearing a Greece soccer team tracksuit. Get the fuck over it.

Well, okay, but why can she do whatever she wants with her hair? I mean obviously she can, but I assume you mean "without being criticized for it." At what point do we draw the line and say "okay that's really offensive"?

Hmmm ... this really brings up some interesting thoughts.

As a chocolate man myself I think it's silly as fuck to gang up on a girl for having braids just cause she's white. (fuck, half the people I see with dreads are white and that's something else that's greatly attached to the culture)

But ... I see a strange mirroring with Asian culture in this way. Like "Weeaboo". I use to ( when I was younger and saw more people strung out on Japanese shit) swing that word around a lot. Hell, I still do. Anytime I see someone use Japanese words for no reason or call Pokemon by their Japanese names I'd go "Blah! *roll-eyes :mad: "
( that pokemon name shit is actually very annoying and is like half the reason I left serebii ..)

I have never seen much-if-any backlash for that stuff.
It seems ok to mock people for appropriating some cultures and not others ...

Like, I remember a slam poetry by an American Korean girl that basically bashed American youth for thinking it's cute to toss around random Korean words/ appropriate Korean culture from K-pop and how her struggle to stand in both worlds ( being American but still holding onto her roots) is a real thing ... and she got mad love from the crowd, the internet and so on.
But a chocolate girl telling people to do the same for "black culture" seems like it would get met with backlash as seen here ...

Strange ...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Punk isn't inherently white culture. Like, when a person gets a mohawk, they aren't doing it because they're white or want to look white, it's because they're punk or want to look punk. At best, they can be criticized for appropriating punk culture.

Well, okay, but why can she do whatever she wants with her hair? I mean obviously she can, but I assume you mean "without being criticized for it." At what point do we draw the line and say "okay that's really offensive"?

Unless she shaves the "N" word in her hair (or any other inappropriate word), then why in fuck's name does it matter what hair style she has?

It's her hair. There's no law that says hair styles are reserved for certain ethnicities/races.

tuna_love

Banned

As a chocolate man myself I think it's silly as fuck to gang up on a girl for having braids just cause she's white. (fuck, half the people I see with dreads are white and that's something else that's greatly attached to the culture)

But ... I see a strange mirroring with Asian culture in this way. Like "Weeaboo". I use to ( when I was younger and saw more people strung out on Japanese shit) swing that word around a lot. Hell, I still do. Anytime I see someone use Japanese words for no reason or call Pokemon by their Japanese names I'd go "Blah! *roll-eyes :mad: "
( that pokemon name shit is actually very annoying and is like half the reason I left serebii ..)

Like, I remember a slam poetry by an American Korean girl that basically bashed American youth for thinking it's cute to toss around random Korean words/ appropriate Korean culture from K-pop and how her struggle to stand in both worlds ( being American but still holding onto her roots) is a real thing ... and she got mad love from the crowd, the internet and so on.
But a chocolate girl telling people to do the same for "black culture" seems like it would get met with backlash as seen here ...

Strange ...
What is slam poetry?

Strange ...

only weirdos say kawaii desu but i have legitimate reasons to want to be able to say nigger

I know nothing about "punk culture", but Perhaps Native Americans have something to say about that.

tuna_love

Banned
Slam Poetry
A type of poetry expressing a persons personal story and/or struggle usually in an intensely emotional style. Very powerful, sincere, and moving.

But I guess "onstage Spoken Word " would be a better term to use?
If its called slam poetry use that. I was just curious what it was.

Unless she shaves the "N" word in her hair (or any other inappropriate word), then why in fuck's name does it matter what hair style she has?

It's her hair. There's no law that says hair styles are reserved for certain ethnicities/races.

Well, okay, but you didn't explain why there's an inherent "rightness" about what anyone does with their hair. It's like when that German lady did cosplay of Michonne and did black face (even made her nose look bigger). It wasn't done out of hate, it was done out of ignorance.

Slam Poetry
A type of poetry expressing a persons personal story and/or struggle usually in an intensely emotional style. Very powerful, sincere, and moving.

Nah, slam poetry is the best word to use. I though it was mainstream enough for people to have at least heard of it after def poetry jam.

And about your first post, I'm sure a black girl would get the same support from the crowd. If the Korean girl got a bigger reaction than you would have expected, that could have either been because she did a great job, or that it was particularly eye-opening for the audience. Personally, I didn't know using random Korean words was a thing people did in America. I would have been really into her poem because of that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

If she shaved a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed into her head.

Jonnax

Slam Poetry

SLAM POETRY IS REAL?!!?!?

I thought this scene from 22 Jump Street was just a surreal thing making fun university students.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
People take social media comments WAAAAAAAAAYYY too seriously, she owes no one an apology

Who cares if she gets box braids?!....

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Well, okay, but you didn't explain why there's an inherent "rightness" about what anyone does with their hair. It's like when that German lady did cosplay of Michonne and did black face (even made her nose look bigger). It wasn't done out of hate, it was done out of ignorance.

I don't think comparing a hairstyle to blackface is quiiiiiite that same thing.

If I let my hair grow long (as I did when I was 17, I'm now 34) I end up with an afro. Are you effectively saying I shouldn't grow my hair that way because I'm Greek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom