• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White girl attacked for getting box braids

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a proud white person, it is my culture to appropriate, exploit and unceremoniously dump the culture of others when i'm bored of it.

none of you can take that from me.
1399827692566.jpg

I wish people actually saw it this way. I was thinking about this while taking a bath the other day: America has issues with black people celebrating black things in America saying all kinds of stuff like they're "segregating themselves". We don't give the Irish (just an example of a non-black culture) shit for celebrating Irish stuff.

My favorite:

The number of times I've heard variations of these two lines in my life time is mindnumbing.

Line one. "If black people want better/more representation on TV/movies/games they should fund their own studios and stuff. Stop waiting on us to better represent them."

Cue in say BET

Line two. "I don't think BET serves a purpose anymore and only contributes to further segregation. If white people made WET everyone would be upset and cry racism! talk about double standard."

If I had a dollar for each time they were invoked, I'd be rich as fuck.

therapist

Ridiculous. She can do her hair how she wants , people are fucking stupid i mean really.
if this upsets you , you are one sad fucking individual.

My favorite:

The number of times I've heard variations of these two lines in my life time is mindnumbing.

Line one. "If black people want better/more representation on TV/movies/games they should fund their own studios and stuff. Stop waiting on us to better represent them."

Cue in say BET

Line two. "I don't think BET serves a purpose anymore and only contributes to further segregation. If white people made WET everyone would be upset and cry racism! talk about double standard."

infinite loop i tell ya...

Omg, my friend and I had a really heated argument with a co-worker for literally three hours outside in the cold about this exact thing

Ridiculous. She can do her hair how she wants , people are fucking stupid i mean really.

I get such a strong feeling that you came in here to have a civil discussion with people and present your views without feeling the need to insult people solely because their views don't match yours.

So...

I don't understand the commenters.

I'm sure most of them grew up in the U.S.

That's called growing up in a desegregated American culture. Are they really advocating for a return to segregation? Where we have two distinct cultures that are not allowed overlap?
but racial segregation is making a comeback. it's actually been on a steady ascent in recent times!

edit: fixed to further clarify that it never went away and only declined for a period of time, but was never anywhere close to zero and is now ascending again.

and isn't it an amazing thing that those sad fucking individuals have their freedom of speech to tear apart that little girl and you have yours to diss them and i have mine to laugh and GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

My favorite:

Cue in say BET

Channels like BET that cater to specific cultures and demographics don't need validation from the "line-two" crowd though. These channels aren't made for them anyway, so let 'em say whatever non-sense they wanna spew.

Channels like BET that cater to specific cultures and demographics don't need validation from the "line-two" crowd though. These channels aren't made for them anyway, so let 'em say whatever non-sense they wanna spew.

no, no.

line one and line two come from the same crowd. line two is the response to the answer to line one.

then the response about not enough representation in the already existing 'WET' leads to line one all over again.

Amir0x

Banned
17 pages on braids? is there a summary? I don't see the problem here.

Basically the topic is ostensibly about braids but really it's about cultural appropriation and why it makes some people upset.

As always, there are casual racists and straight up ignorant folk who come into these topics and express comically simplistic views about what is really going on and then people get very angry at them

no, no.

line one and line two come from the same crowd. line two is the response to the answer to line one.

then the response about not enough representation in the already existing 'WET' leads to line one all over again.

Yeah I hear you. What I'm trying to say is that that whole group is a non-factor here since these outlets aren't for them. So they shouldn't get to influence how these channels operate and what they do just cause of whatever stances they take.

What part did I not respond to?

The part where he associated the hate of a vocal minority to the entirety of America?
It's the same "us vs them" mentality and it's feeding off itself being spat back and forth amongst various groups. Its existence isn't an excuse to feed it and make it worse.

It's not the 50's any more. Institutional racism hasn't existed for a while. Unless there are some people in here who equate affirmative action to racism, there shouldn't be any dispute regarding this.

maybe this post wouldn't be so ridiculous if there weren't actual hard evidence and statistics that clearly demonstrate its existence

that said, the strong reactions against this girl are disappointing

i fully understand the sentiments behind cultural appropriation and sympathize with them.

but dogpiling on an innocent 14-year-old isn't the answer

Amir0x

Banned
that said, the strong reactions against this girl are disappointing

i fully understand the sentiments behind cultural appropriation and sympathize with them.

but dogpiling on an innocent 14-year-old isn't the answer

yeah i think most of us can agree the girl is hardly at fault, and that it's open to interpretation of a subject enough that nobody should be actively attacking her even if she was of age. It's a complicated subject.

Trey

17 pages on braids? is there a summary? I don't see the problem here.

Here.

Seriously, this is what america is now? I'll never set a foot there then, what a joke that white people can get threatened, insulted and bullied without consequences but the world would explode if it went the other way..

People get threatened about all kinds of things by all kinds of people for all kinds of reasons all over the world. If you want to make a grander point about minorities bullying white people and/or race relations, do so honestly.

Sioen

Seriously, this is what america is now? I'll never set a foot there then, what a joke that white people can get threatened, insulted and bullied without consequences but the world would explode if it went the other way..

MVP

Banned
Next time my girlfriend or some other random black chick wears a remy wig or clip-ins, I'm gonna tell them to stop appropriating white culture.

Next time my girlfriend or some other random black chick wears a remy wig or clip-ins, I'm gonna tell them to stop appropriating white culture.

Man, people should be lucky I'm not a mod. These driveby remedial posts from those lacking critical thinking and an ounce of observable intelligence would get hit with a hammer so quick. Act like you're educated for fuck sakes.

I mean you're too fucking lazy to even scan this thread to see the discussion taking place? I suggest you stop trying to swim in water that's too deep for you, one of these days you're going to drown. You dudes aren't witty or original at all, no one is chuckling with you or stroking their cocks as you stroke yours with as you hit submit thinking "nailed it".

Samara

Where are you from? Twitter is not America

Please don't. Your attitude is ridiculous and we don't need people who think like you to come. We have enough problems with people who already live here and think similarly.

Nabs

Stay far away, thanks.

Sioen

Man, people should be lucky I'm not a mod. These driveby remedial posts from those lacking critical thinking and an ounce of observable intelligence would get hit with a hammer so quick.

I mean you're too fucking lazy to even scan this thread to see the discussion taking place? I suggest you stop trying to swim in water that's too deep for you, one of these days you're going to drown.
Sure thing. It's a shame that this is allowed and we have people agreeing with it. A true shame.

JDSN

Banned
Geez what a bunch of piece of shits, naturally it would be preposterous to blame this on some unified hivemind-like community rather than some dicks that happen to be black.

ISOM

You can find the worst twitter posts of any country. This forum has a lot of US posters on it and they post a lot of US centric topics. Just because no one is posting anything about your country don't think everything is rainbows and sunshine for you.

WalkMan

Banned
Cultural appropriation, it's like white people wearing qipao or ao dai. Doing it without understanding the cultural significance of it, rather than thinking its fashionable.

Sioen

You can find the worst twitter posts of any country. This forum has a lot of US posters on it and they post a lot of US centric topics. Just because no one is posting anything about your country don't think everything is rainbows and sunshine for you.
i know everything isn't rainbows and sunshine from where I am, but insulting people. Whoever they are SHOULD not be allowed..

Amir0x

Banned

poor white people, always so maligned, so abused

sad_nod_emoteudi0h.gif

Also, what are you talking about? Black people aren't just insulted on a daily basis without any consequence, they're KILLED on a daily basis without consequences. BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

Geez what a bunch of piece of shits, naturally it would be preposterous to blame this on some unified hivemind-like community rather than some dicks that happen to be black.

But go in that American Sniper racist twitter thread and it's all individual actions as the cause, no culture blaming! Gotta love it.

ISOM

i know everything isn't rainbows and sunshine from where I am, but insulting people. Whoever they are SHOULD not be allowed..

It's twitter man. Anyone can say anything they want there, there is no one policing racist, ignorant, or idiotic posts. You should stop using twitter to generalize about an entire country. You should also see the amount of racial attacks black people receive on twitter. Whether it's black celebrities, or just racist who like to throw the n word around but I guess you don't care about that because it's not white people being attacked then.

Kallor

10/10 racism. Would Racism again.

Sioen

It's twitter man. Anyone can say anything they want there, there is no one policing racist, ignorant, or idiotic posts. You should stop using twitter to generalize about an entire country.
Maybe I should have worded my sentence different.. What I want to say say is nobody should get treated like that.. And I don't understand some reactions here defending it..

ISOM

Maybe I should have worded my sentence different.. What I want to say say is nobody should get treated like that.. And I don't understand some reactions here defending it..

No one is defending it if you actually read the posts. People are trying to explain where the reasoning comes from even if it was misguided and wrong in this particular incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom