• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who are the funniest people in the world?

the king

379841884.jpg

highrider

Banned
For me personally,

Dave Chapelle
Bill Burr
Chris Farley
Mel Brooks
Chris Rock
Rodney Dangerfield
Dennis Miller

I love old school comedy, physical and goofy. Chris Farley encapsulated that really well. But I can also appreciate great stand up.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Local act here called Paulo Gustavo.

Went to his show twice and was almost hospitalized from so much laughing!

Last edited:

HarryKS

That’s because nobody gives a fuck about the top guy in Sri Lanka. Western culture dominates entertainment, accept it and move on.

That includes France, Spain, Italy, Portugal and therefore a whole swathe of romance languages my man.

highrider

Banned
That includes France, Spain, Italy, Portugal and therefore a whole swathe of romance languages my man.

It does, and it doesn’t. I’ve spent time in all of the countries you’ve mentioned and they are great cultures themselves, but by nature of their language it limits the market. English is just a more universally adapted primary and secondary language. You have Spanish speaking comics like George Lopez or Gabriel Iglesias, and they do perform in their native language, but it would be put through the marketing channels in the Latin entertainment world. That is changing though. 20 years from now as populations change and it could be a different story.

Last edited:

HarryKS

It does, and it doesn’t. I’ve spent time in all of the countries you’ve mentioned and they are great cultures themselves, but by nature of their language it limits the market. English is just a more universally adapted primary and secondary language. You have Spanish speaking comics like George Lopez or Gabriel Iglesias, and they do perform in their native language, but it would be put through the marketing channels in the Latin entertainment world. That is changing though. 20 years from now as populations change and it could be a different story.

What are you talking about? The thread is called 'who are the funniest people in the world?'. Since it's mostly anglophone, it's not going to be an accurate representation of what funny is. That's all there is to it. No one's asking about English being the lingua franca. Language in itself is a vector of meaning, and as such, thinking in a different language leads to a different understanding of the world, a different approach. If 'in the world' hadn't been added, it would have made more sense. It's implied but not clear.

highrider

Banned
What are you talking about? The thread is called 'who are the funniest people in the world?'. Since it's mostly anglophone, it's not going to be an accurate representation of what funny is. That's all there is to it. No one's asking about English being the lingua franca. Language in itself is a vector of meaning, and as such, thinking in a different language leads to a different understanding of the world, a different approach. If 'in the world' hadn't been added, it would have made more sense. It's implied but not clear.

Is this your tact, go on predominantly English speaking forums and say hey man, your anglophone thinking neglects all the other great world comedy. What other great world comedy? To even have success in comedy you pretty much have to go to America.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The world has a surplus of funny people, view few though are great of stand the test of time to me that's what makes comedians terrible tests of time. Why? Because their material is so here and now.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I forgot Noel Fielding
“Goth Juice is the most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.”

"You enjoy that, Boy? Cockney urine all over your face?"

I'm Old Gregg, look at my blinding mangina, you want some Baileys?

Pejo

Nathan Fielder and Sacha Baron Cohen are two of my favorites. It's hard to be objective this question though, since everyone has a different sense of humor.

Kenpachii

Would vote for bean, the reason for this is he's not saying anything which makes him universal understood. Also poor and has nothing which also makes him understood by the majority of people.

Alx

Charles Chaplin still stands the test of time, amazingly. I was watching Modern Times in the train the other day, and the ticket controller just stopped and watched for a bit instead of asking for my ticket. ^^

Eddie Murphy, Rowan Atkinson, /thread
Rowan in particular live it's da bomb, that guy has a comedic natural gift, to the point it's supernatural

Will Smith too, love his Fresh Prince mood in particular, always make me smile big every time I see it

Let's see Eddie Murphy, Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, Loveliveserve, Tpindell and JianHaoTan personally out of all of these loveliveserve takes the crown their videos types of, what people say, people logic etc. All make me laugh they're truly funny and comedic and always have the best jokes however this is my point of view.

AaronB

For interviews;
Bill Burr
Robin Williams (RIP)
Joey Diaz
Dana Carvey (around 1990)
Dave Foley

For rants:
Raz0rfist
Bill Burr (again)

For skits;
Dave Chappelle