• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who doesn't see the allure in alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD-Ness

Is there anyone else who doesn't see the allure in alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs?

This is somewhat of a piggyback onto this thread

I have no urge, whatsoever, to get drunk or stoned. I never have and I'm doubting if I ever will. However, the other teenagers (high school age) that I socialize with are obsessed - and infatuated - with the idea of getting drunk or stoned on Friday or Saturday night. Now, I have nothing wrong with this - I can see they're just in the "experimentation" phase of life. I have nothing wrong with drunk or stoned people and go to parties often. I just see no purpose in doing it. Why can't a bunch of people have fun without this...shit? Lowered inhibitions...blah!

I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way though. I'm not lonely, but just feel awkward. The people I know who used to denounce smoking, now do it weekly. I'll go with them, but I never try it.

I'm also somewhat of a healthfreak. I run cross country and play lacrosse. And plan to run marathons beginning in a couple of years. So I really have no urge to mess up my liver or lungs.

I'm not scared to try either of things though. If I had too do either them, it wouldn't be bad.

I dunno...I guess I'm satisfied with "reality."

Memles

I find drunk people hillarious, but have never been drunk/stoned myself. Don't plan on doing so anytime soon. The allure, it alludes me.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I am exactly the same as you Zero.

Sure, I tried the whole thing of alcohol, and even a tiny bit of the weed when I was away in college for a brief time. It got old very fast, and I eventually got turned off to it all even more. Now, I really want little to do with people who drink or smoke, and especially don't want to be around them when they are drunk or stoned.

Gek54

I was big into alcohol in highschool now I dont want to go further than a buz from two glasses of wine or beer. The medication I take for migranes mellows the hell out of me, I wish I could be like that all of the time but it costs to much and I dont want the drug to loose its affect from overuse. Weed just made me feel stupid and lazy...why people want to feel like that is beyond me. I am not about to try anything harder.

I've never touched the stuff but I've been to places with people that do. I laugh at them and die a little inside.

But yes I don't see the allure at all myself

Pimpwerx

I was like this too while I was in hs. I drank a few times in hs and never smoked. I used to look down on all that...sorta. Then I got to college and I'm a naturally curious person, so I'll try anything with enough info. So I ended up doing a lot of drinking, which is the norm up in the Albany area. Probably been close to alcohol poisoning a few times, but I tend to drink 'til I'm drunk whenever I go out. Can't help it. I tried weed and became a stoner around my junior year. I'll probably never stop until they make THC pills or something. :lol Tried shrooms, acid, ecstacy, ritalin and random pharms too. Always with some info before, I don't do things blind. We did buy some bogus shrooms off some guy at Woodstock, but that's the only time I've been a complete idiot about drugs. Didn't do coke until a couple years ago. Went through a period where I was doing that weekly, which was cool. A good party drug if not for the fiending and high price.

Through all of it, I was always introduced to it by friends who were doing it. From drinking to sniffing, it's always been fairly social. I get stoned by myself everyday, but that's my chillin drug, not really a social thing unless I'm with my friends. I've also gotten wasted by myself a few times, but that's rare and always when I'm in a fucked up mood. If I never hung with people who did this stuff, I would never have started either. My advice is to befriend a crackhead. You'll learn a lot in a few sleepless days. :lol PEACE.

goodcow

I've never used drugs or alcohol. I don't see the point. Not only do they cost large sums of money, but they cause damage to your body. I can entertain myself and others fine without them.

Loki

Count of Concision
Who doesn't see the allure in alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs? #1

<raises hand>

Alcohol can be cool, though only in moderation-- I hate the feeling of getting blasted, but having a buzz can be very nice. Still, it's not necessarily something I look forward to doing, but it can loosen you up a bit when you're out amongst friends trying to have a good time, or just socializing in general. :)

As for the other stuff, I've never touched any of it, despite growing up around people who were always smoking/doing weed etc. I guess I just never saw the point, really; I've also never felt "peer pressure" to do anything in general, so I guess that aspect of my character helped me in avoiding some of those pitfalls. Lotsa guys I grew up with in the neighborhood or at school were/are big potheads/alcoholics or worse, and their lives revolve around that. I'm sure in moderation it's not that bad, and that's why I generally don't preach to people about the evils of marijuana, but I just personally never felt the desire or need to indulge in it.

I'm what you would call a "straight arrow", though you'd never know it by the crowd I grew up with. :p I'm sure others here never pegged me as such, either. ;) :p

Well, I'm not going to pressure you and tell you that you NEED to experience the feeling for yourself, but it is kind of naive to sit around and claim to not understand the allure when you yourself have not experienced the effect of getting drunk and/or high. I mean, if you never have, of course you don't understand what the big deal is. You look at these people making fools of themselves and think "who needs this shit." Well, two things: (1) those people who are acting like morons are probably having the time of their life, and (2) with responsible consumption, you can both have a good time AND not turn into a raving jackass.

Again, not to break out the peer pressure, but you really should try it at least once in your life. I used to think the same way about drinking (I don't smoke weed), but I eventually realized that I was on the outside looking in on the subject. There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks from time to time, so long as you don't develop a dependency to that feeling of euphoria that alcohol provides.

dem

Why not just drink one night when youre out with friends and see what its like? Its not going to kill you.

Chony

dem said:
Why not just drink one night when youre out with friends and see what its like? Its not going to kill you.

Yeah, try anything once, you may like. That goes for food, or pretty much anything, assuming it's non-addictive, which marijuana isn't.

Loki

Count of Concision
Steve Youngblood said:
I used to think the same way about drinking (I don't smoke weed), but I eventually realized that I was on the outside looking in on the subject. There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks from time to time, so long as you don't develop a dependency to that feeling of euphoria that alcohol provides.

Exactly.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I absolutely detest marijuana and drugs, so I never did any of that stuff. As for alcohol, I don't mind drinking it once in a while in a party, but I prefer juice or pop.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I rarely drink, only when I feel like it I suppose. The sad case is, I get way too tired on 3 bottles of beer and fall asleep.. although I guess that depends on where I am at the time. Tried a few drugs but they weren't really all that high and mighty so my life is pretty much clean.

Two youngest siblings however drink like camels and smoke like chimneys. Personally I don't know how they do it. Every 2nd night, booze up. I'm waiting for the moment when they start hitting pubs at 10am and sticking around till night each and every day.

Triumph

Banned
I wish everyone would post their ages with their preferences.

Anyhow, as for me, if I didn't kill trillions of brain cells through substance abuse, I would have conquered the world and you would all be toiling under the yoke of my oppression. So consider that a positive to drinking/smoking dope! I know I do. You guys bitch so much, who would want to rule you fuckers?

I got drunk once, and I hated it. I was trying to play JSRF and couldn't land on the 13 bus terminals to get the graffiti soul, but I had very little coordination. No drinking since then. I cant' stand the idea of not being completely in control of myself, so drugs are pretty much out for me. I'm too productive to slow down. Hell, I hate sleeping :p

Zep

Banned
never touched any liquor/beer/cigarettes/drugs...anything...

I dont see the fun in it..maybe thats me..im naturally funny..

Jim Bowie

I don't like smoking anything at all. I just don't like the taste. Alcohol doesn't taste good to me, either. Save for Bushmill's Irish Whiskey. If I had to drink, I'd drink that. Other drugs? Geez, forget it.

Some people call me straight-edge.

dem

Manabanana said:
I got drunk once, and I hated it. I was trying to play JSRF and couldn't land on the 13 bus terminals to get the graffiti soul, but I had very little coordination.

Is this a joke?
Please tell me this is a joke...

Ramirez

Considering I've watched alcohol literally destroy my family I will never touch it,it's worthless as far as I'm concerned and the problems it has caused me in my life is really to troublesome for me to talk about.

As far as smoking,I don't understand it either,but whatever,if ya wanna do any of it,go ahead knock yourself out,just don't bother me with it :p

AntoneM

ooh, the stories I could tell, I have done lots and I mean lots of stuff, I still enjoy a good buzz and a toke once in a while and I'm still a little wary of fire alarms (the actual part that you pull to set it off) but I'm no worse off for it.

yoshifumi

Banned
Manabanana said:
I got drunk once, and I hated it. I was trying to play JSRF and couldn't land on the 13 bus terminals to get the graffiti soul, but I had very little coordination. No drinking since then.

:lol:lol:lol

Never done any, never seen the need. I still go to my brother's parties at college, in which a good deal of drinking goes on, and most of the time I enjoy myself equally as much without it. I don't really want to depend on some substance to create happiness and fun, I feel I can do it myself. It's just a device used by dull people to make their lives interesting. I can understand some people's reasons to use it, however, I don't think any of the reasons apply to me.

MIMIC

Banned
Like I always say, I don't need to be high/drunk to have fun/do something totally stupid.

And besides, isn't it fun being sober to coherently observe your friends being ridiculously out-of-control? :D

(And I hate the taste of alcohol anyway. My friend practically bartends in his dorm room, so I've tried some stuff. I really don't like it.)

nitewulf

Raoul Duke said:
I wish everyone would post their ages with their preferences.
true. many of you sound like HS kids who are just regurgitating what you were told by your school counselors or parents. you should definitely post your age along with your remarks here.

dem

I refuse to believe you guys are having fun at parties/bars/clubs without alcohol. When I see those guys theyre always sitting there staring off in the distance with that "I'd rather be anywhere than here" look.

:)

Doth Togo

Zero said:
Is there anyone else who doesn't see the allure in alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs?

This is somewhat of a piggyback onto this thread

I have no urge, whatsoever, to get drunk or stoned. I never have and I'm doubting if I ever will. However, the other teenagers (high school age) that I socialize with are obsessed - and infatuated - with the idea of getting drunk or stoned on Friday or Saturday night. Now, I have nothing wrong with this - I can see they're just in the "experimentation" phase of life. I have nothing wrong with drunk or stoned people and go to parties often. I just see no purpose in doing it. Why can't a bunch of people have fun without this...shit? Lowered inhibitions...blah!

I feel like I'm the only one who feels this way though. I'm not lonely, but just feel awkward. The people I know who used to denounce smoking, now do it weekly. I'll go with them, but I never try it.

I'm also somewhat of a healthfreak. I run cross country and play lacrosse. And plan to run marathons beginning in a couple of years. So I really have no urge to mess up my liver or lungs.

I'm not scared to try either of things though. If I had too do either them, it wouldn't be bad.

I dunno...I guess I'm satisfied with "reality."

Me neither. Never done drugs or smoke. I used to drink but have, in the past few months, had no desire to touch alcohol. Admittedly, I'm a bit of a homebody. I work during the week, go out maybe one night a week with friends...several nights with the GF... I'm really not interested in getting toasted and vomiting on somebody's shoe in an alley. (Been there done that.)

Miguel

I still have yet to drink or smoke in the 20 years I've been alive.

Just about all my "friends" used to drink and/or smoke, but my best friend did neither. They'd go party and get stoned, my friend and I would go to Rockets/Texans/Astros games whenever we got the chance. Needless to say, we both eventually just stopped (some willingly, some just stopped talking to us) hanging out with everyone else and made a few friends on our own rather than the same bunch of HS friends we were exposed to every day. We're still great friends. Sure, it limits on the options of what to do friday/saturday night, (and by the way, he's out of town, and there's no good movies out, and there's a R ckets game on tonight, so I'm home. :p

I used to tell people that I didn't care if they smoked or drank, just not to try to get me to do it. Of course, they always tried, and I always declined, and the cycle continued til I just left.

Anyway, long story short,
People I knew who did/drank drugs/alcohol = Either I stopped talking to, or they stopped talking to me for not hanging out with them while they got stoned.

I don't know what this really accomplishes in the thread, or if anyone will actually read it...

Pimpwerx

It's not necessarily a good thing to just accept what you're told. I'll say that the PSAs send a good message in telling people to stay drug-free, but most of what they show is exaggerated or just plain wrong. People who say it does damage to your body probably also drink coffee or soda or eat eggs and other food high in cholesterol or sit in the sun too long and so forth. Lots of things are worse for you than even coke. I don't drink coffee. Yesterday I had my first cup in months. Caffeine is such a shitty drug, but lots of people drink coffee by the gallon and then turn their nose up at coke. It's not enough to know that something's bad for you, you should always know why and how. But that's where personal preference comes in. Not everyone does drugs. I still have a hard time admitting some of my habits to people I know b/c I know that eventhough they may smoke pot ocassionally or whatever, telling them you snort lines won't exactly go over well, or telling them you roll or whatever. But if I'd never done any of this stuff, I'd have missed out on a lot. At least now I'm a bit more experienced, for what that's worth. Now if I'm ever on Jeopardy, and there's a question about what happens to the back of your throat when high on coke, I'll know the answer. ;) Yes Alex, I'll take The Rapists for $200. PEACE.

MIMIC

Banned
dem said:
I refuse to believe you guys are having fun at parties/bars/clubs without alcohol. When I see those guys theyre always sitting there staring off in the distance with that "I'd rather be anywhere than here" look.

:)

So what's "fun?"

Iceman

None whatsoever. There are all kinds of natural highs. Why would I want to risk putting my body into a state of chemical dependence in order to achieve something I can get for free?

MIMIC

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Caffeine is such a shitty drug, but lots of people drink coffee by the gallon and then turn their nose up at coke.

OK, are you comparing the caffeine in coffee to cocaine??

Pimpwerx

Iceman said:
None whatsoever. There are all kinds of natural highs. Why would I want to risk putting my body into a state of chemical dependence in order to achieve something I can get for free?
Because that wall won't "breathe" on its own. :lol Dammit, you don't do drugs, so that reference is totally worthless. See, at the very least, you need to do drugs so you can get the lame references I make. ;) :p PEACE.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
I'm 17, weed and drinking is fun shit.

Last night I shotgunned 4 beers under 1 minute. I never thought I'd ever be able to do that.

Pimpwerx

MIMIC said:
OK, are you comparing the caffeine in coffee to cocaine??
Meh, a poor generalization, but compared to the amount of coffee a lot of people consume, you can do coke on the weekends and do less damage to your body. The word often omitted from most drugs discussion is "moderation". What really makes the difference between someone like Rick James and your boss at work is your boss probably knows when to stop. And while your boss may not actually do coke, you'd be suprised how many people do it and where. Dealer clientel runs the gamut. PEACE.

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
MIMIC said:
So what's "fun?" cocaine??

Getting drunk and doing things you normally wouldn't do sober. Waking up and having to rely on others to tell you what you did the day before. Also, everyone starts looking hot.

MIMIC

Banned
Pimpwerx said:
Meh, a poor generalization, but compared to the amount of coffee a lot of people consume, you can do coke on the weekends and do less damage to your body. The word often omitted from most drugs discussion is "moderation". What really makes the difference between someone like Rick James and your boss at work is your boss probably knows when to stop. And while your boss may not actually do coke, you'd be suprised how many people do it and where. Dealer clientel runs the gamut. PEACE.

Merely doing cocaine once (with some people) is enough to cause serious bodily harm/permanent damage....which is why cocaine, even taken in moderation, has no comparison to the consumption of caffeine.

But maybe if you take a disproportionate comparison like 1 line every 4 years to 6 gallons of caffeine a day, then that's a difference.

Also, you can't die from drinking coffee.

Getting drunk and doing things you normally wouldn't do sober.

Personally, I've done plenty of things that I wouldn't normally do (while my friends were drunk).

Zep

Banned
im 18 and in college...so im asked a lot to go out drinking and i say no some of the girls i have my eye on look at me weird...but i wont let them change the way i'am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom