• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who doesn't see the allure in alcohol, marijuana, or other drugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorey

I finished halo 2 while intoxicated, so none of this "it makes video games bad" bullshit.

Heh, we oughta split this thread off into "Games you can get yer Drunk on with"

Playing War of the Monsters with yer best friend and a big ol' bottle of vodka = fun times by bottle's end.

It is fun to escape reality once in a while. Life is short. I enjoy getting fucked up on occassion. Why not experience as much of life as you can?

MIMIC

Banned
nitewulf said:
its just megafoo, and he is just playing around.
i feel the opposite of what you feel, i am threatened by the ppl who dont do these things and i feel you are trying to impose your judgement and morals on the rest of us, specially when these kinds of threads open up.
usually my policy is live and let live, but every time in these kind of threads i see ppl asking,
"so why do ppl get drunk and/or smoke pot and act stupid?"
"why do you feel the need to lose control?"
"why are you killing yourselves?"
first of all, those viewpoints are narrow and ignorant...

Actually, those viewpoints have been reinforced by the drinkers/druggies in this very thread.

I have to say I like how this thread ended up. I realized I should think and THEN type so I'm not just trying to prove a point and be different, and the people who were all about "everyone should try it," admitted they don't care either way. I wish people were more about live and let live. I also just finished watching Trainspotting. What a film it was.

White Man

During my days behind the chemical veil:

opiates == hallucinogens >>>>>>>>>> alcohol >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> amphetamines >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (x 10) marijuana

nitewulf

MIMIC said:
Actually, those viewpoints have been reinforced by the drinkers/druggies in this very thread.
*looks at tag*
i dont know what to say. i like your anti-war points, but may be you went so far left that you transferred into the right.

edit:
to add, look at pimpwrex's posts. he is by far one of the most level headed posters here (Pimpwrex are you Duane from way back by the way?).
and by his own admission he is a regular drug user. frankly speaking i agreed with most of his points, aside from the caffeine/coke thing.
i dont ever recall seeing him flip out or anything. on the other hand i do recall olimario flipping out, and he is definitely anti-drugs.
dont stereotype everyone into this "american pie/animal house" party kids role, most of us are all adults here.

pops619

I like getting drunk. I've honestly had some of the best times of my life while drunk. I'm sure getting stoned would be a pretty good time as well. That said, I have no real urge to do it. I can have perfectly good times while sober. I see getting drunk as something fun to do every once in a while. I'd definitely get tired of it if I did it often. Plus, bad hangovers generally make me stay away from alcohol for a while.

Mumbles

Hint #1: The more stupid you look, the more fun you're having. True wether drunk or sober

Hint #2: "I like getting drunk/high" != "I need to get drunk/high to enjoy mysel.f"

HInt #3: "Alcoholism runs in the family" is an *extremely* good reason not to drink, regardless of what is said above.

So, to combine the three above - there's no real reason not to try it, so long as you aren't predisposed to have problems with drugs. if you don't like it, it's only one night. An if you do, then you've found something enjoyable for yourself. And if you don't want to try, then fine, but don' try to get all higher-than-thou about it.

Zep

Banned
I dont get how you can call someone a pussy for not wanting to drink...If im a pussy then you must be a lonely soul, trying to fit in, insecure...needing to show off in front of people just to look cool with a bottle or can in your hand to show and show a girl how retarded/shitfaced you can get..

Yea, real smooth...

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
DaddyZ said:
I dont get how you can call someone a pussy for not wanting to drink...If im a pussy then you must be a lonely soul, trying to fit in, insecure...needing to show off in front of people just to look cool with a bottle or can in your hand to show and show a girl how retarded/shitfaced you can get..

Yea, real smooth...

did you come up with that on your own? cause it shows. please go here http://www.dare.com/home/default.asp or something

MIMIC

Banned
nitewulf said:
*looks at tag*
i dont know what to say. i like your anti-war points, but may be you went so far left that you transferred into the right.

You thought I'd that kind of a statement without backing it up?

Before I hit the sack:

Reinforced point #1: "so why do ppl get drunk and/or smoke pot and act stupid?"

Reinforced by Steve Youngblood when he said:
You look at these people making fools of themselves and think "who needs this shit." Well, two things: (1) those people who are acting like morons are probably having the time of their life, and (2) with responsible consumption, you can both have a good time AND not turn into a raving jackass.

Reinforced point #2: "why do you feel the need to lose control?"

Reinforced by Badabing when he said (in response to a question about what defines "fun" without alcohol, in the context of questioning whether or not one can have "fun" at a party, club, etc. without alcohol):
Getting drunk and doing things you normally wouldn't do sober.

Reinforced point #3: "why are you killing yourselves?"

Reinforced by Pimpwerx when he said:
Probably been close to alcohol poisoning a few times, but I tend to drink 'til I'm drunk whenever I go out. Can't help it.

BTW, I was randomly "awarded" this tag.

Megafoo Chavez said:
did you come up with that on your own? cause it shows. please go here http://www.dare.com/home/default.asp or something

That reminds of that Arizona state law for kids site...

http://www.lawforkids.org/toons/view_toon.cfm?id=8

It's real and it's FANTASTIC!

And a strip for insta-satisfaction.

static.cfm

Manabanana said:
I have to say I like how this thread ended up. I realized I should think and THEN type so I'm not just trying to prove a point and be different, and the people who were all about "everyone should try it," admitted they don't care either way. I wish people were more about live and let live. I also just finished watching Trainspotting. What a film it was.

Woah it's like this thread has had a final conclusion and everything.

Where did it all go wrong? ;_;

It is definately wrong someone criticizes anothers music taste, choice of literature or general opinions about basicaly anything on the internet. It is definately arrogant and insecure to try to belittle and force one's beliefs on another on the internet also.

That being said anyone who has never finished a beer or had a toke of a joint and for example would rather eat potato chips and play multiplayer videogames is a pussy. It's just reality folks.

Megafoo Chavez

I love EGM
DaddyZ said:
damn straight i came up with it, you like it ;-) ? well anyway, i just want to point out that you are cool..thats all. A.Cool.Guy.

you are cool as well. One day you will come to the realization i have. That you have no fucking clue whats going on

Zep

Banned
Megafoo Chavez said:
you are cool as well. One day you will come to the realization i have. That you have no fucking clue whats going on

Booo...you can do better than that scrappy...

way more

What is this straight edge, arrogant, self possessed bullshit? This fucking goes for the vegetarian, non-smoking, abstinence staying, PG-13 viewing, channel censoring, FCC, no tolerance facist, white bread eating mother fucker.

cubanb

Banned
DaddyZ said:

Yea, real smooth...
are you 12?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
mac said:
What is this straight edge, arrogant, self possessed bullshit? This fucking goes for the vegetarian, non-smoking, abstinence staying, PG-13 viewing, channel censoring, FCC, no tolerance facist, white bread eating mother fucker.

White Bread is the best bread for toast, but otherwise I think I agree with what you said.

cubanb

Banned
Sactown said:
White Bread is the best bread for toast, but otherwise I think I agree with what you said.
sourdough bread makes some damn good toast... especially if you got garlic butter!

nitewulf

MIMIC said:
uh uh. this was your statement, and it includes everyone. now take note, i dont do drugs, however i do drink.

1) i never act stupid, its not in my nature.
2) i dont drink to lose control, i do it because it feels good.
3) i am not killing myself as far as i know, because i am doing it limitedly. and even if i wasnt, it'd be my right to do whatever i wish with my body.

this is the thing, there are exceptions, but you made a general comment which doesnt include the exceptions.

furthermore, my original point was that those are the steretypical questions asked by the anti-drugs/anti-drinking crew mostly, and even looking at this thread i dont see this stereotye represented broadly.

not one person falls under the three criteria simultaneously, each person you quoted falls under at least one criterion but not all three. yet, every time i see you guys asking these questions as if each drinker (or drug taker) falls under all three.

even loki drinks!! that should tell you something. you think he falls under any of those criteria?

just like oily food can be a guilty pleasure, getting a buzz can be a guilty pleasure. and we all have our vices. but i dont think all of fall under that sort of a stereotype that you guys try to shoehorn us into.

BTW loki, this wasnt an insult, rather you come off as a very straight and righteous dude so i was just using you as an example.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
DaddyZ said:

Yea, real smooth...

Nobody drinks/does drugs to show off, they do it because it's fun.
The object of life is to have fun, you seem to be against fun.
You fail at life.

cubanb

Banned
DaddyZ said:
Nah, more like 18... why? do you have something informative to tell me? if not gett.off.my.dick
heres something informative: GROW UP AND CHILL OUT

out of all the people in this thread, you are the one who needs a drink or joint the most. reading your posts on GAF, everything ends up being an insult.

at.least.go.get.some.opiates.and.have.a.good.time.for.once
anger.leads.to.the.dark.side

nitewulf

Sactown said:
Nobody drinks/does drugs to show off, they do it because it's fun.
The object of life is to have fun, you seem to be against fun.
You fail at life.
preach it brother. this is someone who gets the point.

Zep

Banned
So your saying i need to drink/drugs to have fun...ok you fail at life..i know your type, your a fake, thats all there is too it..FAKE.

Its funny because everyone that i kno in real life tells me im a funny person, and i've never had to drink or smoke...

Again, your a Fake "Sactown"...Let that shit sink in...Fake.

Im not angry...i find this shit funny, i deal with you type of people everyday.

Zep

Banned
I dont want you guys to think i'm an asshole, becuase im not, but when someone says im a pussy because i dont drink/smoke/do drugs, that shit couldnt farther from the truth...and im just defending the way i feel about the situation.

nitewulf

DaddyZ said:
I dont want you guys to think i'm an asshole, becuase im not, but when someone says im a pussy because i dont drink/smoke/do drugs, that shit couldnt farther from the truth...and im just defending the way i feel about the situation.
hey junior, hang around here a few months so you'd get to know the posters better before you go all self righteous on us. megafoo probably hasnt been serious here, ever. hell at the moment he has a topic open about shaving your pubes!!!

You coke users and potheads should really try smoking a little bit on a bowl of bud, but watch out. Coco Puffs make you feel like you're floating and I kinda felt like I was loosing control, but I like that. Peaking on orally-taken Adderall and smoking some good smoke does kinda the same thing, but coke ='s the lost control. However, I don't like loosing control around people I don't know, and I don't even use drugs around people I don't already know. Also, I don't recommend these things to people who can't spare to loose a few productive hours. Doing such things calls for a day of downtime or being, or at least feeling, really lazy the next day. I can count on my fingers the number of times (eight)I've dabbled with coka, and I can definitely say that some skeezy people deal it. That's why I don't want to use it, not because it's addictive, not because it's expensive, not because it harms your cardiac tissue--only because skeezy mofo's have it, and I don't want to be around such dregs.

My suggestion is that if you really want to get bent on drugs with your friends, decide if you have friends around that you really care to call friends and be around and then take some disco biscuits and listen to your favorite music for eight hours. Dance around. Have some fun. Just don't fry yourself too much and do too many stupid things to your body/brain. You'll be sad at Hallmark commercials if you eat too many pills, my friends. Weigh your options, and read www.erowid.org for all the drug info you need.

As to how I became a drug user? Well, alcohol destroyed my grandfather when I was five years old, so I didn't ever really want to drink. My senior year in high school I began to drink and party, having a good time with my high school chums. It's only during the day when I had urges to drink that I thought that I might have addictive urges and that I'd have to watch myself. Much of the time then and now if feels good to deny my urges to drink or smoke. So, I didn't want to ever really drink and eventually did because it can't hurt you that much. It's part of this world, and if you don't ever try it people are going to think you're square. Also, if you never try it, then you're seriously depriving yourself of a mostly universal and common human experience. You can be very social and bond by sharing a drink or a smoke with someone. If we're cavemen meeting up by the village fire and you don't have some of the tribe's drink, the tribe might think you're not one of them and be weary. Plus, the women of the tribe won't fuck you. Alcohol is that social drug, and you're going to at least have to go and be able to feel comfortable where people are drinking at some point in your life. Get used to that. Also, get tired of it at some point and learn to know when bars, parties, and clubs get tired. Favor something more enriching and producing if you can. Go do something different. Go take a walk in a park with a dried up creek bed and natural springs. Have a refreshing drink and walk around, or do the same while smoking a bowl and walking through said park.

More to me, I never really thought I'd ever touch substances, but being a bio chem. major in rout to (back then) pre-medicine leaves room for experimentation. Make aspirin for a final project in chem. lab, sure. Learn some more things about chemicals and the body, and realize their power. Try some of them in more experiments. Try some yourself for fun. Learn non-toxic ways to kill pests, and learn the ins and outs of what chemicals do in animal bodies. Try some of those. Become your own personal chemistry set--my joke to my friends. Seriously, I love Depeche Mode, not at much as I used to because they've disbanded and there's nothing new from them, but I love Depeche Mode. I was sitting at their concert in Houston about five years ago, and in talking to a friend of mine about how the music made me feel, and in talking to him for a month prior to that night about how I like to drink till I'm silly and giddy, but I don't like to be hung over: That night, that moment at the concert I decided I'd try to smoke pot. I consider it one of the most enlightening decisions of my life. Now, that's how I enjoy a new album and my favorite music from my library: turn it on, read the lyric sheets if there are lyrics to it, smoke a bit, and jam out. That's brought me so much joy in my life that I don't think I would enjoy music as much without it. Well, the next night AFTER the concert night, my friend took me to a guy's barn, and six of us sat around while I saw people break up, for the first time in my life, some pot and roll it into a cigar. That night was fun and sort of magical. I just took over a year to realize that those munchies were all in my head, and that I could sustain my high by not eating anything greasy or not eating anything at all. When I controlled the munchies later, or if I knew I was going to get them, I'd take a huge bag of fruit over to my friend's house. We'd play some station, watch some movie, etc. and tear into Kiwi's, bananas, star fruit, plums instead of eating crap. Occasionally I'd get the urge and come back fifteen minutes later with tacos for everyone, but I learned that I could enjoy pot and not become a cholesterol laden fatass at the same time.

That was all fine and dandy. Then I did that for four years straight, and my college life really turned into just a lifestyle of smoking. Then, I found people (fellow coworkers) interested in the same type of music I was interested in--electronic dance music. I thought if pot made me feel as good as it did that the ecstasy stuff must be nice. I also saw footage of the Chemical Brothers playing in New York somewhere, how cool the show looked, all the people dancing, and two musical geniuses making the crowd react to the music being played. I knew I had to be part of that, so in 2001 I began going to raves and clubs, and consistently I did for two years straight, every chance I got so long as I was caught up in my work. I remember sitting in computer science on a Tuesday and hearing the prof talk about data streams but only thinking of how whacked out and good I felt from some yellow pills I took that weekend. There's just something about those little pills, the thrills they yield, that kill a million brain cells. Lyrics from Green Velvet, I know, but it's a catchy line.

Well, CS plus Japanese, plus working for a major electronics cooperation while partying in my spare weekends didn't cut it, so I got on academic probation, got off over a summer, got on it again, and then got a suspension after two semesters of not being able to bring myself up over a 2.0 grade point average. Something had to give, so I dropped the job because it was going nowhere, and I was selling $30 to $40 K of product per quarter and not getting paid much more than what someone would to bag groceries. Yay. I felt shitty quitting my job for a while, but I realized how I was being used by the place, and I saw that I could still party chemically and function in school, just not working 30hrs a week pedaling electronics. As for my GPA and school status, I fixed it that next summer, got back in the game, and actually, in that time, found I degree I gave a shit about. I really loved my social life and really hated school. I went to my college advisor and told him I hate school. I was really tired and wanted to get out of school and just teach or something with and English degree or whatever I could get fast. He asked me what I like to do in my spare time, and after I told him, he said, "We've got a degree for that." Badda Bing. After a couple years of hard partying because that was more satisfying than school, I found a program I really like. Awesome. Somebody's going to pay me money eventually to do the things I did and was interested in doing in my spare time. Awesome. I'm glad I spent the time I did socially being my own personal chemistry set because in that time a degree program was formed that I'm in now. Yay. Long story short, if you're going to do i life what you like to do, getting fucked up with substances probably won't hinder you that much unless you run into legal trouble. Also, breakfast bong hits won't get you anywhere except wanting an afternoon nap and not being productive. Do what you want, guys, but be productive. We're in it to become producers, graduating away from being just consumers. I'm not there completely yet, but it's going to be nice to actually contribute to the GDP and to have a purpose other than just occupying space and having fun.

Also, never do speed/meth. That was a mistake I made one night after already being on hallucinogens. If you're going to get sped up, do something else. Speed is the devil's drug, and you don't do it; it does you. I'd never been so sick in all my life, and my friends really saw it in me how sick I was. I couldn't eat for two days really, and by the fourth day I tried to eat a whole meal. Food never tasted so nasty, and I thought that brown stuff looked suspect when I put it into my body. Again, read Erowid.org and make your own decisions, but that stuff fries your nerve endings in your brain. It's shown to destroy brain tissue in lab monkeys, where-as recent tests show that MDMA do not harm the brain. Be your own judge, and be sensible. Drink in moderation, and if you don't like the taste of alcohol, then you just haven't found the mix drink or beer you like just yet. Some Japanese beers are really dry and tasty, and whiskey always tastes bad, so mix it with sour mix.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Dunno what the allure is, just not my thing personally. A bit of Rum and Coke every once in awhile, cool. Drugs/Smoking? No thanks. Can't stand it at work (Casino, if it weren't for the fact you make stupid amounts of money for doing absolutely dick, I wouldn't have the job), can't stand it outside of work. You wanna do it, more power to ya. Just won't see me around ya while you're at it.

There's plenty of non smoking, non drinking, hotter than fuck women out there to go around. We all win!

shuri

Banned
I find hilarious the whole "IF YOU DONT DRINK YOURE A PUSSY" posts in this thread. Are you guys 15 years old? Let other people be, and dont come down sounding like an old uncle with the funny 'THIS WILL MAKE HAIR GROW ON YOUR CHEST, BOY" angle

I used to go out a lot, preferably every weekend, but I hardly ever do anymore. Since I stopped feeling like doing that, I hardly ever drink anymore, and I haven't smoked pot in years.

At the moment I tend to avoid alcohol, not for any particular reason, I just don't have any reasons to drink it either. Might as well just have a soda. :)

Zaptruder

Banned
I simply don't choose to partake in chemical abuse...

because it's expensive... and it actually makes me feel worse (well alcohol really... and in the short term).

MIMIC

Banned
nitewulf said:
uh uh. this was your statement, and it includes everyone. now take note, i dont do drugs, however i do drink.

If you think that I was grouping the entire population of drinkers/druggies, than something is seriously wrong with you.

You said that those viewpoints were "ignorant and narrow-minded." But how are they ignorant and narrow-minded when I can do something as simple as using the comments in a random Internet forum thread to reinforce those viewpoints?

And you wonder why people ask those questions. Maybe because there are a lot of drinkers/druggies that "talk about doing stupid things while under the influence of alcohol or drugs," or "talk about wanting to loosen up or lose control so they take drugs or drink" or that "talk about how the drugs/alcohol is destroying their bodies, but do it anyway."

Don't fucking deny reality.

nitewulf

MIMIC said:
If you think that I was grouping the entire population of drinkers/druggies, than something is seriously wrong with you.

You said that those viewpoints were "ignorant and narrow-minded." But how are they ignorant and narrow-minded when I can do something as simple as using the comments in a random Internet forum thread to reinforce those viewpoints?

And you wonder why people ask those questions. Maybe because there are a lot of drinkers/druggies that "talk about doing stupid things while under the influence of alcohol or drugs," or "talk about wanting to loosen up or lose control so they take drugs or drink" or that "talk about how the drugs/alcohol is destroying their bodies, but do it anyway."

Don't fucking deny reality.
here we were all hugging and kissing, and understanding. and tounging each other (ok not that) and you had to go on and ruin it.
why do you hate freedom?
anyway, without going into a diatribe, because i just dont have the patience for it anymore, all i'll say is grow up a bit (i recall you're in HS, this not yet the time to form these kinds of opinions), give it some time when you're in college and are around a whole bunch of weird and interesting ppl. and after you're a college graduate, experience life a bit more and then look back and think. may be you'll realize what we're talking about.
dont be one of those jackasses that shut themselves in a room, play video games all day and judge everybody else who's going out and having fun.

"druggie" is such a condescending term and really irks me. Sure, I smoke some marijuana now again (and again), but would a tobacco smoker be labeled as a druggie? Nope, and most people, especially those educated past D.A.R.E., would realize that it's a much more harmful substance and the same goes with alcohol. Although with alcohol you're a "drinker." Sounds much nicer but isn't alcohol also a drug (and one of the most harmful)?

Buggy Loop

Gorey said:
Heh, we oughta split this thread off into "Games you can get yer Drunk on with"

Not alcohol but,
Marijuana + NES contra coop = joy

Damn i played it so many times with my best pal.

Gorey

What is this straight edge, arrogant, self possessed bullshit?

You know, one of the biggest regrets I have from my straight edge phase was intolerance. My reaction- and the culture I was part of for 10 years- was just that, to react to the 'you! you be a PUSSY if you don't get high!' by saying 'you! You be an IDIOT for getting high! Self discipline=better than you!'.

Thankfully, I grew out of it. An intelligent person eventually realizes that it is a question of individual choice, personal freedoms.

But guess what? It was my choice to live like that, and it was just as valid as your high-is-great stuff. The assumption that I wasn't 'living life to the fullest' because I chose not to take drugs or drink is insane, and nothing more than reactionary bullshit.

Reactionary bullshit is what breeds intolerance. Live and let live is pretty much the only way.

Then again, every time someone labels me with sweeping and ridiculous crap the way you did with the rest of the above quote, all I end up with is a sense of regret. Because clearly, not everyone in the world is intelligent enough to ...gasp...grow up. You know, use that thing you have called your mind. It's between your ears, if you missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom