• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is in the best position for the next gen: Sony or Microsoft?

Right now you can’t draw any conclusion how Series X is selling compared to PS5, both are sold out so you would essentially compare the manufacturing process. I assume both are selling worse than their predecessor since they’re impossible to buy, unless scalpers are sitting on a mountain of consoles.

Sony does like to give out sales figures so hopefully we will find something out in their financial reports. As for Microsoft I don't think they will ever get back to reporting sales so that's a mystery.

They could have 17 SKUs and that wouldn't change anything in sales because they don't have the best games, since they're exclusives to the other console. Console sales are all about games and price.

They do have the cheapest console and a service that provides a ton of value. But I'm guessing that's not what market is looking for at the moment. Seems like Powerful consoles and high quality exclusive games is what people want at the moment. This could change in the future though.

N30RYU

nintendo...

simply 'cause they don't have competition and could survive just by their own IPs.

Between Sony and Microsoft... Sony have a better brand with PlayStation that let them win with low effort.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

I definitely lean green and hope xbox stays fighting behind them.

whoever is tailing usually is trying more and it shows. 1st place usually gets complacent.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sony managed to not make the same mistake last time they were a market leader by announcing a console over $500 in price. The PS3 launch price killed their advantage. Just like D Matrick and the no game sharing killed xbone.

Siny has first party that can produce great exclusives. MS gets good exclusives but Sony is leading in that area now. MS has the ability to gain share with the Bethesda acquisition. Making those games exclusives will drive MS sales. I think that is one of the big decisions yet to come.
But if you are able you should buy all the consoles as there are great experiences in all of them.

zedinen

Microsoft surpassed $5B in gaming revenue in a single quarter for the first time in 2020.

PlayStation surpassed $5B in a single quarter for 1st time in 2007.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Necroposting, gaffers. At least change your responses to reflect that the generation has already started.

Derktron

Banned
Both are in the best position, they are both having success thanks to this pandemic. Stop the fanboy bs. Along with Nintendo having a very successful year. All three are having a good position in the new generation.

Batiman

Banned
I say Sony will have the better earlier half of the gen while MS explodes later on with their number of studios growing.

PS5 obviously.

It is 3-4 months in the gen, PS5 still sold out globally yet series s have been available since the launch on many areas + series x is still available on small isolated units.

Playstation is globally 10x more popular than xbox have ever been

Hudo

Well, turns out that both are in a shitty position because they can't get their consoles manufactured.

Last edited:

Genx3

Sony managed to not make the same mistake last time they were a market leader by announcing a console over $500 in price. The PS3 launch price killed their advantage. Just like D Matrick and the no game sharing killed xbone.

Siny has first party that can produce great exclusives. MS gets good exclusives but Sony is leading in that area now. MS has the ability to gain share with the Bethesda acquisition. Making those games exclusives will drive MS sales. I think that is one of the big decisions yet to come.
But if you are able you should buy all the consoles as there are great experiences in all of them.
IMO, both consoles could have easily launched at $600 and sold every last 1 without any problems. This would've been better for both Sony and MS's bottom line as they usually take a hit the first year of hardware sales.
You shouldn't compare the price of a console launching in 2006 with the price of a console launching in 2020 with out adjusting for inflation.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think it is more of a mentality of the consumer thing for a box to be 600 than 500. And yes I understand inflation but before prices were announced people spoke in hushed tones about how the Sony box sounds like it is going to be ps3 expensive again. That is why Sony waited to let MS announce price first.
Also I feel know empathy for a companies bottom line when they chose the product price. I don’t feel bad hp loses money on the printers they sell.

Fredrik

Sony does like to give out sales figures so hopefully we will find something out in their financial reports. As for Microsoft I don't think they will ever get back to reporting sales so that's a mystery.
Just remember that it’s the same thing there, sold out everywhere. This is why I think it’s weird when people look at the Japan weekly figures and goes all doom and gloom when comparing to other console launches or Switch. The console must be available for purchase for the weekly sales figures to be good.

Just remember that it’s the same thing there, sold out everywhere. This is why I think it’s weird when people look at the Japan weekly figures and goes all doom and gloom when comparing to other console launches or Switch. The console must be available for purchase for the weekly sales figures to be good.

Not exactly. If the supply is great and the demand is insanely high you can still have an extreme shortage with great sales numbers. It's best to wait for official numbers before gauging sales off the shortage.

Fredrik

Not exactly. If the supply is great and the demand is insanely high you can still have an extreme shortage with great sales numbers. It's best to wait for official numbers before gauging sales off the shortage.
I’m not saying it's a paper launch but looking at previously mentioned Japan sales figures show lower sales than PS3, GameCube, Dreamcast etc. I think there are enough evidence out there showing that the supply is limited. It’s either that or some lucky market must’ve been shipped almost everything.

As for Series X, iirc MS said they started the manufacturing later than planned because they had to wait for some AMD tech to be finalized, so the stock issues are essentially the same even though I’m sure the demand is lower.

PS5 obviously.

It is 3-4 months in the gen, PS5 still sold out globally yet series s have been available since the launch on many areas + series x is still available on small isolated units.

Playstation is globally 10x more popular than xbox have ever been
10x more popular? What a ridiculous thing to say, so if xbox has sold 50million PlayStation has sold 500million according to your dodgy math lol.

mxbison

Sony will sell more consoles and games but Microsoft has that sweet and safe subscription revenue.

I guess they are both happy with it.

buenoblue

Gotta be sony. There exclusives are just in a class of there own. Replaying God of war at 4k60 on ps5 and that game is a masterpiece. Can't wait to see what the sony first party studios can do with ps5. Microsoft games just don't do it for me apart from forza, which I play on pc.

People acting like bethesda is the saviour of xbox, I just don't see it. They have been on a downward trajectory for a while. Fallout 76 and fallout 4 wernt that great. I feel microsoft will fall into the netflix trap of quantity over quality to keep subscribers of gamepass with loads of mediocre tittles, whereas the true stand out tittles will be sony exclusives.

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
Gotta be sony. There exclusives are just in a class of there own. Replaying God of war at 4k60 on ps5 and that game is a masterpiece. Can't wait to see what the sony first party studios can do with ps5. Microsoft games just don't do it for me apart from forza, which I play on pc.

People acting like bethesda is the saviour of xbox, I just don't see it. They have been on a downward trajectory for a while. Fallout 76 and fallout 4 wernt that great. I feel microsoft will fall into the netflix trap of quantity over quality to keep subscribers of gamepass with loads of mediocre tittles, whereas the true stand out tittles will be sony exclusives.
For the exclusive outputs, sure
But if Microsoft made all the future Bethesda games exclusive..

Top Bottom