• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is on your personal Mt. Rushmore of gaming developers?

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
1 Yoko Taro
2 Hideo Kojima
3 Miyazaki
4 Sakaguchi

Crazy how it is all Japanese developers. Their country breeds excellence for talent in this industry.

Last edited:
  • Amy Hennig (Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver series)
  • Miyamoto (Mario, Zelda etc etc etc)
  • Mikami (RE and Evil Within)
  • Kojima (Metal Gear)
  • All the dudes at Retro Studios (Metroid Prime 1-3)

Trinity of gaming is

4) Shigeru Miyamoto - Put a Italian plumber in a furry squirrel costume.

3) Neil Druckmann - thousands bitched about a game they didnt play.

2) Fumito Ueda - took 10 years to make a 10 hour game.

1) Mark Cerny - Knack 2

I know TRINITIES have 3 corners. But I want it to have 4.​

Name one game on the 7800 or SMS (that started on those systems) that has nearly the lasting impact that Miyamoto has.
That wasn't the point actually, and this is what happens when you dont follow the conversation you jump in. The initial point was about computers, but addressing your point, Miyamoto did nothing new, and anyone who thinks SMB is any example of great game design just shows a lack of knowledge outside the NES. Zelda was a simple Adventure game with limited text compared to other action adventures or action rpgs on the computers that all had more depth, better combat, and more in the world. But over the years those who grew up with Zelda have shouted so loud that every game that plays like Zelda was influenced by Zelda even when it's not the influence. That's just one example.

SMB levels get worse in design the further you play almost like the levels are made in a generator. It's why many people skip levels and most didn't finish the game. When SMB was sold by itself nearly no one brought it, almost all it's sales were due to being given away. There's a reason for the massive sales gaps in NES games akin to Wii Sports. SMB 2 was worse which is why they replaced it in the USA by slapping Mario characters in a different game, and SMB3 eventually also was given away for free.

Metroid? We already had games that require you to explore and back track. It's refreshing only if you were an NES gamer, if you gamed anywhere else it wasn't that special. Console fans even made up a term for the style due to how ignorant they were about similar games when Castlevania went for the same style of gameplay.

Miyamoto as a legendary game designer is laughable unless you grew up on a NES or an N64. The only way someone would disagree with me is due to attachment. No one wants their childhood to be questioned.

He's not terrible like say, David Cage, but come on.

Mario 64 sitting on shelves after release because people weren't interested they started giving it away for free more and more over time, Zelda was even given away for free after some time, but that did better by itself due to the game droughts and insane reviews. But the strange overrating in critical reviews still has me suspicious because gamers generally didn't find the game that mind blowing outside fans, and if Zelda Oot or M64 were anywhere near as top class and jaw dropping as the reviewers said the N64 would have sold anywhere instead of only one country, and even then Goldeneye ended up being the big one in and outside of the US not miyamotos games, same with Banjo. The mindshare gap is not deniable.

When your lasting impact is partially artificial it's fair to question one devs "legendary" status. If not for the crash myth this guy would barely be on anyone's radar. The most popular iterations of his own series aren't even made by him and haven't been for the last many years, his recent more involved output has been mixed to say the least.

But if you grew up with NES and stayed the course on console from that, to SNES, to N64 and you believed the crash myth then yeah, I can see why with limited knowledge, you would put Miyamoto on top of a dev list, same reason why someone would put Suzuki on top of a list for games like Shenmue. There are better devs at Sega and I'm a big VF fan.

But if you actually had a broader gaming palette the likely hood of either being on your top list is zero. Sure, we are talking about opinions but there no denying most console gamers who grew up in the 80's and 90's on Nintendo and Sega are not very knowledgeable outside that, not all but most.

Then there's E3 1996, when more people were around the Crash booth than the M64 one because people looked at crash as a better example of next gen, with Miyamoto pictured playing the game.

Imo I didn't think either game was that good, but at least Crash was a platformer, I didn't like the collectathon format. But After M64 and sunshine Mario would switch to something similar to Crashes format, and he ended up more popular then ever, while Crash would almost die going open collectathon, ironic.

That wasn't the point actually, and this is what happens when you dont follow the conversation you jump in. The initial point was about computers, but addressing your point, Miyamoto did nothing new, and anyone who thinks SMB is any example of great game design just shows a lack of knowledge outside the NES. Zelda was a simple Adventure game with limited text compared to other action adventures or action rpgs on the computers that all had more depth, better combat, and more in the world. But over the years those who grew up with Zelda have shouted so loud that every game that plays like Zelda was influenced by Zelda even when it's not the influence. That's just one example.

SMB levels get worse in design the further you play almost like the levels are made in a generator. It's why many people skip levels and most didn't finish the game. When SMB was sold by itself nearly no one brought it, almost all it's sales were due to being given away. There's a reason for the massive sales gaps in NES games akin to Wii Sports. SMB 2 was worse which is why they replaced it in the USA by slapping Mario characters in a different game, and SMB3 eventually also was given away for free.

Metroid? We already had games that require you to explore and back track. It's refreshing only if you were an NES gamer, if you gamed anywhere else it wasn't that special. Console fans even made up a term for the style due to how ignorant they were about similar games when Castlevania went for the same style of gameplay.

Miyamoto as a legendary game designer is laughable unless you grew up on a NES or an N64. The only way someone would disagree with me is due to attachment. No one wants their childhood to be questioned.

He's not terrible like say, David Cage, but come on.

Mario 64 sitting on shelves after release because people weren't interested they started giving it away for free more and more over time, Zelda was even given away for free after some time, but that did better by itself due to the game droughts and insane reviews. But the strange overrating in critical reviews still has me suspicious because gamers generally didn't find the game that mind blowing outside fans, and if Zelda Oot or M64 were anywhere near as top class and jaw dropping as the reviewers said the N64 would have sold anywhere instead of only one country, and even then Goldeneye ended up being the big one in and outside of the US not miyamotos games, same with Banjo. The mindshare gap is not deniable.

When your lasting impact is partially artificial it's fair to question one devs "legendary" status. If not for the crash myth this guy would barely be on anyone's radar. The most popular iterations of his own series aren't even made by him and haven't been for the last many years, his recent more involved output has been mixed to say the least.

But if you grew up with NES and stayed the course on console from that, to SNES, to N64 and you believed the crash myth then yeah, I can see why with limited knowledge, you would put Miyamoto on top of a dev list, same reason why someone would put Suzuki on top of a list for games like Shenmue. There are better devs at Sega and I'm a big VF fan.

But if you actually had a broader gaming palette the likely hood of either being on your top list is zero. Sure, we are talking about opinions but there no denying most console gamers who grew up in the 80's and 90's on Nintendo and Sega are not very knowledgeable outside that, not all but most.

Then there's E3 1996, when more people were around the Crash booth than the M64 one because people looked at crash as a better example of next gen, with Miyamoto pictured playing the game.

Imo I didn't think either game was that good, but at least Crash was a platformer, I didn't like the collectathon format. But After M64 and sunshine Mario would switch to something similar to Crashes format, and he ended up more popular then ever, while Crash would almost die going open collectathon, ironic.
Crash better and more revolutionary than SM64?! Damn, you must be smoking something reaaaaal strong

daTRUballin

1. Shigeru Miyamoto: Super Mario, Zelda, Pikmin
2. Gregg Mayles: Banjo-Kazooie, DKC (also Sea of Thieves, but that one can go fuck itself)
3. Yuji Naka: Sonic, NiGHTS, Ivy
4. Michel Ancel: Rayman, Beyond Good & Evil, Rabbids
5. Toshihiro Nagoshi: Monkey Ball, F-Zero, (also Yakuza, but same as for SoT applies)
I know this is an old post and I always knew you were never too fond of SoT, but damn, Yoshi! You really ripped that game a new one here! O_O

Mostly quoting you to let you know that I'm back here ;)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I know this is an old post and I always knew you were never too fond of SoT, but damn, Yoshi! You really ripped that game a new one here! O_O

Mostly quoting you to let you know that I'm back here ;)
Great to see you back! And yeah, online only, social focussed game is basically the perfect counter concept to what I like in games :(

daTRUballin

Great to see you back! And yeah, online only, social focussed game is basically the perfect counter concept to what I like in games :(
Have you ever seen or had any interest in the story-based campaigns in the game? I know you can play those solo, but the game is still online, so you still have real players in your world.

I'm excited for the Pirates of the Carribean update coming out on Tuesday. I wonder if that campaign will be structured a bit differently?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That wasn't the point actually, and this is what happens when you dont follow the conversation you jump in. The initial point was about computers, but addressing your point,...
I actually didn’t ask you your opinion about Miyamoto. I don’t care about your opinion of whose on my Mt Rushmore of gaming. I asked you who was on yours. I just knew you weren’t going to answer my question.

Go take your “No Fun Allowed” sign somewhere else.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
4634732_460s.jpg

GeorgPrime

Banned
William Higinbotham (The physicist who made the first video game)

Nolan Bushnell (Made Pong and Atari, both of which popularized the home video game console.)

Alexey Pajitnov (Made Tetris, a game which became globally poular and created a unique situation where the Soviet Union was making publishing deals with American businesses.)

Shigeru Miyamoto (Created some of Nintendo's most popular franchises like Mario and Zelda, can be credited for saving gaming from the video games crash of 1983.)

Those people should be the only ones being recognized at Mt. Rushmore of Videogaming.

They literally paved the way for all videogames today

But maybe we have to add the ET guy to always remember the videogaming crash. xD

Last edited:
I actually didn’t ask you your opinion about Miyamoto.
Made a response to a point you made on topic in the thread.

Op strikes it down. Gives an excuse he doesn't use for others.

Good image for yourself after jumping into a conversation you didn't read while screaming it wasn't on topic.

Poor guy.

He wants to argue. He’s a troll. I wouldn’t take the bait if I were you because there will be no convincing him.
Damn, you didn't even read the last post I made, and you quote someone who couldn't read and saw something I never wrote.

Gee op you keep screwing up your own thread a lot.

If none of y'all are going to include Ralph Baer on your lists, none of them are valid to me.

#1 Ralph Baer - Video games creator. Maker of the Odyssey. Often called the father of video games.
#2 Shigeru Miyamoto - This is an easy one. Makers of Zelda, Mario, and countless more.
#3 John Carmack - Another easy one. Creator of Doom and forged the basis of the first person shooter.
#4 Nolan Bushnell - The man who plunged video games into the mainstream. Creator of the Atari 2600, PONG, and a multitude of other great games.

Honorable mentions:

#1 -Hironobu Sakaguchi -Creator of Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger and the man responsible bringing RPGs to the mainstream.
#2 - Hideo Kojima - Kojima's worth mentioning because of the themes of his games and the messages he tries to invoke in each game he makes. His focus on storytelling brings him into focus for me.
#3 - Will Wright - Simulation games mastermind. He created SimCity and of course, The Sims.
#4 - Gabe Newell - Perfected the first person shooter and for most games today are kind of the basis of how most FPS games play today. Also the man responsible for Steam.
Although I agree with this list the most out of the ones I've seen here, and it's a tough list to make, but it's very US focused. I'm still surprised nobody has mentioned Gunpei Yokoi. I remember you Gunpei!

yurinka

1-Yu Suzuki (most important and influential dev ever)
2-Hideo Kojima
3-Akira Nishitani (game designer and director of Final Fight, SF2 and many other Capcom's arcade golden age classics)
4-Akira Yasuda (Final Fight, SF2 and many arcade classics, art director and designer of Capcom's golden age in the 90s)
5-Mark Cerny (Knack, Knack 2)

Mark Cerny would be there due to its key role helping to rise studios like Insomniac, Naughty Dog or Crystal Dynamics plus designing the PS Vita, PS4 and PS5 hardware and working on many PS hits like Uncharted, Last Guardian, Death Stranding or God of War III and many others, plus in his early days work as developer in games like Sonic 2 or to create arcade classics like Marble Madness

Top Bottom