• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who is the best character designer in gaming?

Chris_C

Tieno said:
Totally agree. Master Chief's design is incredibly awesome and iconic. I really like it alot. I love his armor.

Just a note, Craig Mullins didn't design Master Chief. He is an amazing illustrator though.

Wollan

I was surprised by that Devil May Cry art. I wished it transfered more over to the games.

My favorite character artist has to be Shinkawa though.

Edit: And that VVV

I also want to commend Takayoshi Sato for his character design. Singlehandedly he did both the character design and CG work for the first Silent Hill, and made some eerily realistic-looking characters in SH2.

SatoBio.jpg

SHfamitsuPoster.jpg

Study-3.jpg

maria3.jpg

Study-15.jpg

Study-17.jpg

silenttwn

disappeared said:
And why is that?

The newer designs from 3 and 4 just feel contrived in comparison to 1 and 2's. Dunno, that's just how I feel about them. The characters design and their personality from 1 and 2 felt like people that had be grabbed from the street somewhere and dropped into a game. The designs from 3 and 4 feel like they're based off of cliches.

Shoho

Banned
akachan ningen said:
yeah, link's design is great because I've never seen a picture of peter pan before.

Actually Shigeru took the character, "Link" out of 1985 movie by Ridley Scott called Legend, where the green boy in a tunic who had to save the world, was played by Tom Cruise. The movie has a hardcore following.

Durante

Stealth said:
Hyung-Tae Kim
I usually laugh at people complainging about overly feminine male characters in games, but this guy seriously overdoes it. When I first saw the Magna Carta art, I thought all the characters were female :lol

I love his stuff, but it's obviosly far more taste-dependent than most other choices in this thread.
disgaea2006.jpg

See what I mean?

Speevy

Banned
I don't know anything about character designs. However, I do like the characters in Tim Schafer's games. Also, Intelligent Systems' vision of the Mario characters is better than EAD's, IMO.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
GeneralIroh said:
Katsuya Terada
terra037.jpg

this guy is awesome! i loved his illustrations in early issues of nintendo power. he did sol divide as well, which is an awful game with excellent concept art.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Yoji Shinkawa (just learned his name today; I've always liked MGS art)
Tetsuya Nomura (his character designs never leave my mind)
Toriyama (DBZ, Blue Dragon, the best stuff)
Clover Studio artists. Man, VF looked amazing, but Okami is just brilliant.
Doublefine studios character designer (psychonauts had awesome character designs! Very unique looking)

Woah!

yeah I actually like some of nomuras stuff as well...since it doesnt really fall under the anime blanket etc....well, I liked aurons design from FFX...again its flash...certainly not subtle...environments is where FF really shows its beauty though...also in the summons design

peace

sephiroth6 said:
I have seen some very impressive character design here but this picture blew me away.
Does anyone know on what game is this designer working on right know?
rick58.jpg

I have his artbook he's really good at girls, weapons, dragons, guy's.. really talented.

Tony Taka - works aside from erogames: shining tears,
title-46.jpg

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/i/taka_tony/

SNK's Hiroaki
kofXI_poster_06.jpg

cover.jpg

k.jpg

Tetsuya Nomura - FFV.. FFVII.. FFXI, FFXIII, FFXIIIVS, FFVII:AC, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Kingdom Hearts 1-2, Parasite Eve 1-2.. etc.

Oh! Great - so far I've only seen him do the custom costume for Azuka in T5
tekken5ohgreat8zl.jpg

He's famous for Tenjo Tenge and Air Gear as well as in the ero world.

SF3/Cvs2 artist IKENO, and AKIMAN
zangief.jpg

munchies.jpg

MegaTen

Banned
Shard said:
Or why so and so is really the best.
Well the problem lies in the question. Art is so subjective, there really isn't a "best" so people are sharing some of their favorite artists and work.

seat

anotheriori said:
http://www015.upp.so-net.ne.jp/shunya/image/rick58.jpg
I have his artbook he's really good at girls, weapons, dragons, guy's.. really talented.
Yes, we all love pictures of anime girls with huge tits, but good designs that does not make.

Thumbs up to mentions of designs from Okami and Killer7. Haven't played either of those games, but the character concepts are remarkable.

I honestly think some of the greatest illustrators in the world were hired to do pin-ups for the Halo graphic novel. I personally know a couple of these artists, and they're honest-to-God hardcore Halo fans. However, if you were to press them on what they honestly thought about Master Chief's design, they would agree that it's generic-macho-space-marine junk. Provided, the design was tailored for mass-market appeal and has been extremely successful, but does that make that design good? No.

MegaTen said:
Well the problem lies in the question. Art is so subjective, there really isn't a "best" so people are sharing some of their favorite artists and work.

QFT. Okay so this is somewhat confusing then.. Do we post which is the least generic or weirdest concepts? I'm confused for example there is an existing design but a different artist has their take on it.. isn't that also a "design" choice on the part of the artist to portray the original idea? Wouldn't this thread then just be posts of the classic archetype designs (mario, zelda, sonice etc) since almost all the following ones borrow or are influenced by classical designs? Do artist's sketches not constitute 'character design' since it wasn't used in a game?

Regarding Okami.. are you praising the dog? or the visual style of the game?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
despite the bad rap toriyama gets, I dig his monster designs I think they are awesome and full of humour.

Pimpbaa

Error2k4 said:
despite the bad rap toriyama gets, I dig his monster designs I think they are awesome and full of humour.

I agree. Although I like his main character designs in the Dragon Quest games too.

seat

anotheriori said:
Regarding Okami.. are you praising the dog? or the visual style of the game?
This is a thread about character designs, so it would be the character designs.

Top Bottom