• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who was the worst video game character of 2014?

antitrop

The game industry is always kind enough to provide us with plenty of willing participants for this award, with this year hardly being any exception.

I nominate Aiden Pearce from Watch_Dogs. Iconic cap and all.

agOeM7Y.jpg

For the reasons why, I'm going to plug Campster's Errant Signal review of the game, as he provides the most concise and biting deconstruction of the character that I've ever seen. It's really great. Cathartic, actually.

Qassim

I think naming Aiden Pearce as the worst character is far too kind. I'm totally and completely indifferent to the character, he didn't make me think anything about him, I don't dislike or like the character - I thought nothing of him.

A character I dislike will at least have registered some thought in my mind, and I could build up thoughts, feelings and emotions about that character, but with Aiden Pearce, I felt nothing and that's the worst thing a character can be.

How are we defining "worst?" Most boring or most vile? I feel like the former category would be... kinda overcrowded, lol.

Is anyone gonna tell me who the fuck is Adam Baldwin?

He's an actor. Not sure why he's a video game character suddenly. Maybe gamergate?

Ashtar

How are we defining "worst?" Most boring or most vile? I feel like the former category would be... kinda overcrowded, lol.

He's an actor. Not sure why he's a video game character suddenly. Maybe gamergate?
Yeah he pretty much became the spokes person for gamer gate but exactly sure why how

The Llama

I think naming Aiden Pearce as the worst character is far too kind. I'm totally and completely indifferent to the character, he didn't make me think anything about him, I don't dislike or like the character - I thought nothing of him.

tbh I felt that way throughout most of the game, then in the last hour or so I really started to hate him for a few reasons. But yeah, I was very indifferent to him for a while.

Astral Dog

Sebastian Castellanos was good protagonist.
He was the good detective, so bland and generic he wasnt afraid of anything. he was cool.

Corpekata

Banned
Sebastian is a pretty bad character, barely developing a personality until near the end of the game.

New lead of Risen 3 - He's so bland many reviewers actually thought he was the guy from the second game, and I don't blame them. I dug the game but his inclusion was baffling given how much the story relies on Risen 2. Incredibly hammy voice acting to boot.

Lead guy of Murdered Soul Suspect - Bland, really terrible life decisions with the tattoos and fedora

can we not do that thing where we just list names of characters without saying where they are from or providing any context whatsoever?

thanks

The Speaker in Destiny. In the first cutscene he says "Oh the stories I could tell you." He then basically tells you to F off and never tells you anything about the game again.

In other words he knows the missing plot of Destiny and is being a huge dick and not telling anyone.

The_speaker1.jpg

Miguel81

Aiden Pearce is the video game protagonist with the most punchable face this year. I also agree that he's the worst, from the games that I have played at least.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Aiden Pierce so f--

Adam Baldwin.

nevermind, it's this one

Runner-up: Talion. Oh my god, "my wife and child were killed" is not fucking interesting backstory. It's not even sympathetic anymore; it's a fucking expectation at this point. And beyond that, he's dull as shit. He literally has no character beyond "stoic, and wants to avenge his family, and.... uhhh... yeah." It's not even like anything he says or does is insultingly stupid, but it's astonishing just much of a 'nothing' character he is.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh and I'll add Ajay Ghale to the list of bland Ubi protags. Dude just casually joins up with a civil war like it's nothing. At least Jason Brody was douchey enough to evoke hate.

He's also really dumb. Hey maybe stop being surprised and acting indignant that the stoners that keep injecting you with shit do it the next time you seem them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

HURRY UP, LOVE

Something that bugs me a lot in games is when you get into a slower segment where there are paths to explore, scenery to take in, and a partner with you that repels against what you want to do and just tries to rush you forward. So guess what Loki from Bayonetta 2 does, constantly. This motherfucker just hounds you to keep up every time you're with him(and even to slow down if you get too far ahead), and pretty much makes the plot revolve around him with his TRUMP CARD.

LeBart

Aiden's sister: 'Aiden, please stop doing this, you're putting us in danger.'
Aiden: 'lol no!'

A few days later...
'Hey my sister got kidnapped! Weird! Let's cause millions of dollars of damage to public property and run over a few people and kill dozens of cops while trying to save her, because I'm the good guy! >: ('

This guy might be the worst character of the decade.

Adnor

Banned
Adam Baldwin started the use of the hashtag #gamergate, so yeah, he isn't a videogame character but he's the worst.

Aiden Pearce was pretty bad. The obvious blandness of the guy aside, he also had the dumbest "moral dilemma" I've ever seen in a game.

But my pick is Garrett from the new Thief. He's like Aiden but in a dumber outfit.

Top Bottom