• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who was the worst video game character of 2014?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
439748503.jpg

There is a reason she is the only character in the game that you can boot off the team after you recruit them. I haven't yet, but boy am I fucking tempted.

That is the worst arrow I've ever seen.

Card Boy

Banned
Probably some character from Destiny like Ghost, that game is putrid and deserves a hate post in every thread possible.

someday

Banned
Aiden's sister: 'Aiden, please stop doing this, you're putting us in danger.'
Aiden: 'lol no!'

A few days later...
'Hey my sister got kidnapped! Weird! Let's cause millions of dollars of damage to public property and run over a few people and kill dozens of cops while trying to save her, because I'm the good guy! >: ('

This guy might be the worst character of the decade.
Yep. I'm amazed that Aiden is supposed to be a hero. He's terrible and that game's writers should feel bad.

ironmang

Thread making me realize how few 2014 games I actually played. Aiden Pierce was certainly annoying though so I'd probably agree on him even if I played more. If you asked a year ago I definitely would have said Delsin Rowe was shaping up to be horrible but I actually liked him despite the boring powers.

I have no clue about gamergate or what position I'm supposed to take so I can't comment on Adam Baldwin's inclusion. :)

BouncyFrag

The Speaker in Destiny. In the first cutscene he says "Oh the stories I could tell you." He then basically tells you to F off and never tells you anything about the game again.

In other words he knows the missing plot of Destiny and is being a huge dick and not telling anyone.
-snip-
She is in on this too:
h_QJz_Eg_Dqd2m_W.jpg

sappyday

Aidan Pierce most definitely. Actually playing as a dog would of made Watch_Dogs a much more enjoyable game. Aidan Pierce pretty much represents Ubisoft. A character that writers believe has some depth to it when actuality he's the most cardboard character of the entire year. When a character is enough to make to stop playing the game then you know something is wrong.

Also he dresses like a complete idiot

Dr. Buni

The Smash Bros version of Palutena is awful. I didn't play a lot of 2014 titles this year, so I am going with her. If a character from any game you played in 2014 is valid (regardless of its release date), then I pick Lissa's son in Fire Emblem Awakening. Half the cast isn't that great, but Lissa's son (I forgot his name) strikes as the most obnoxious of the main characters in the game.
the main one from bravely default, agnes or something
Bravely Default is not a 2014 game, though

Dr. Buni

It is.It was released on february this year.
No, it isn't. It was released in October 2012. For the Sequel was released in 2013 in Japan and in Europe. So no, Bravely Default is not a 2014 title.

Just because it was released in North America in 2014 doesn't make it a 2014 title.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm going to say "every Sonic Boom character outside of the Sonic staple characters", for being in Sonic Boom.

Well I guess Knuckles is different enough to be a 2014 character, and he was a big doofy annoying moron.

Just because it was released in North America in 2014 doesn't make it a 2014 title.

Yes it does. This is precisely how Xenoblade managed to be nominated for GOTY three years in a row. :p

Zareka

There are probably worse characters out there, but from the games I played
tumblr_static_angry.png

Chiaki Nanami, Danganronpa 2.

Nigh unbearable. I could not stand a single thing about her character.

Teddie in Persona Q is a close second though.

Kezen

Banned
I think naming Aiden Pearce as the worst character is far too kind. I'm totally and completely indifferent to the character, he didn't make me think anything about him, I don't dislike or like the character - I thought nothing of him.

A character I dislike will at least have registered some thought in my mind, and I could build up thoughts, feelings and emotions about that character, but with Aiden Pearce, I felt nothing and that's the worst thing a character can be.

I agree with that. Pearce is the very definition of "bland".
I'd rather play as Clara Lille really.

Yasuhirohagakure.jpg

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup

Uwotm8.gif

He's the best character in the game. Maybe he's more annoying if you play it with the Western dub on, but I didn't and found him to be a constant source of amusement. He's a much appreciated air-headed putz in a toxic environment full of vicious people.

I'll nominate this guy...

Togami.jpg

Whaaaat a twat.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Aiden is bland. Sera, on the other hand, is annoying as fuck. "Breeches!". Soooo randum, lolololol.

What a disgusting piece of shit character.

upselo

Neo Member
Aiden Pearce, any Destiny-bound non character, Talion from Mordor and his ugly face, Kaz Miller and his fiddle, Delsin Rowe and his teenage angst.

JediLink

Yasuhirohagakure.jpg

shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup
For the sake of anyone reading this thread who is not into niche Japanese visual novels and have no idea who this guy is because the quoted poster provided no name nor explanation, this is Yasuhiro Hagakure from Danganronpa. And yes, he is the worst character because he's a complete waste of time. He doesn't have any funny moments, or emotional moments, or meaningful relations with other characters, or anything at all to justify his existence. He does fucking nothing the entire game. He's just there.

Asbear

Banned
I vote Corypheus from Dragon Age Inquisition. In a game that generally leaves a good impression in you writing wise, it's really tough to accept how terribly bad the handling of the main antagonist is. He is completely one-dimensional and you see him, like, twice in the game in just brief encounters.

WTF Bioware?!

I don't get it, he was so cool in 13-2 but suddenly he is so annoying in 13-3. He keeps telling you something without actually saying anything, so weird.

Give me a single reason why you think that Lightning is a bad character ? She is definitely my favourite this year, Ali Hillis did a stellar job with her again and she is a million times better than her japanese counterpart, maybe next time you should play with the english dub (which is better in about 95% of cases anyway)

btw. trying to insult a character by not using a capital letter is just weak.

Just personal tastes, i just want to punch her everytime i see her (there's a lot of other bad character in Lightning returns, especially Snow and Hope, but it's Lightning that i see the most, so she gets my vote! At least she made me laugh, the game was hilarously bad, especially the ending (i played it in english, the voice acting doesn't change her character, so... yeah...)

Also you're stretching thing too much with the capital letter, it's just a typing error

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I don't get it, he was so cool in 13-2 but suddenly he is so annoying in 13-3. He keeps telling you something without actually saying anything, so weird.
Do you remember what happened to Hope in LR? It explains why he acts the way he does.
Nothing wrong with Lightning though; people just hate her, especially when they haven't played the XIII saga apart from the first because of the stigma attached to her. Definitely more worthy contenders here, but I'm not going to argue personal feelings.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For the sake of anyone reading this thread who is not into niche Japanese visual novels and have no idea who this guy is because the quoted poster provided no name nor explanation, this is Yasuhiro Hagakure from Danganronpa. And yes, he is the worst character because he's a complete waste of time. He doesn't have any funny moments, or emotional moments, or meaningful relations with other characters, or anything at all to justify his existence. He does fucking nothing the entire game. He's just there.

Also his talent is stupid bullshit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aiden is bland. Sera, on the other hand, is annoying as fuck. "Breeches!". Soooo randum, lolololol.

What a disgusting piece of shit character.

Aiden is a sociopath the game wants you to think is a hero. Way more annoying. I can ignore Sera. I have to play as Aiden.

Do you remember what happened to Hope in LR? It explains why he acts the way he does.
Nothing wrong with Lightning though; people just hate her, especially when they haven't played the XIII saga apart from the first because of the stigma attached to her. Definitely more worthy contenders here, but I'm not going to argue personal feelings.

I played the three of them, just for the sake of finishing the saga, and also laughing! The first was really bad, the 13-2 was a little bit better, more liberty, i liked noel a little bit (not too much though)! 13-3 was really the worst for me, stupid character, stupid plot, incredibly stupid ending, ugly as hell, way too easy, big world with nothing interesting to do in it! The only cool thing was the soundtrack, which is the best of the 3!

I don't regret playing it, it was funny like i said, but they could erase it completly i wouldn't care

My vote goes to pre-patch Cryptarch in Destiny, turning all my purples to blues and offering nothing but snide remarks.

After patch I nominate Xur, since week after week he refuses to serve up a Gjallarhorn.

Setsuna

Yep. I'm amazed that Aiden is supposed to be a hero. He's terrible and that game's writers should feel bad.

Because Aiden isnt a hero neither does the game portray him as a hero from his point of view

Hell if people even spent a little time listerning to the story of Watch dogs they would see that Aiden was raised in a dysfunctional family, joined a gang, became good with the underground, and grew into what he is today

Its not like he was some guy holding a nine to five that suddently decided to dispense justice to evil doers because hes kind

Mifec

Aiden Pearce, no contest. Like if they released a SW movie with Jar Jar Binks as the main char Aiden Pearce would still be worse.

someday

Banned
Because Aiden isnt a hero neither does the game portray him as a hero from his point of view
Why do you say that? I got the feeling that we were supposed to root for him and feel sympathetic to his plight. The tender goodbye with his sister, after she's lost a child and been kidnapped because of Aiden's crap seemed meant to imply that the game makers saw him as ultimately a good guy. Yeah, he feels shitty about what he's caused but he's still the superhero on a noble quest.

Hell if people even spent a little time listerning to the story of Watch dogs they would see that Aiden was raised in a dysfunctional family, joined a gang, became good with the underground, and grew into what he is today

Its not like he was some guy holding a nine to five that suddently decided to dispense justice to evil doers because hes kind

The game bends over backwards to make him totes awesum like Batman.

If you max out the evil meter the radio reports are still trying really hard to put his actions into context and avoid condemnation "many people thank the vigilante for his work against the gangs, but some have concerns over his methods" rather than, "jesus fuck there's a privacy invading spree killer at large".

Manu

The Speaker in Destiny. In the first cutscene he says "Oh the stories I could tell you." He then basically tells you to F off and never tells you anything about the game again.

In other words he knows the missing plot of Destiny and is being a huge dick and not telling anyone.

The_speaker1.jpg

i-kwJ6bGQ-1050x10000.jpg

Top Bottom