• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

stalker

Do we know if the 3GB install thing is from disc or is it a day 1 patch type of thing? Hope it is the former.
Sorry if already discussed.

Robbok

finally i made my decision. I hold my WiiU preorder and i won´t buy the switch @ launch.
I will wait for a price drop, observing the reactions of the first adopters.
If i buy a switch later, maybe i will buy Zelda again.

I had the Wii U version preordered but yesterday a french retailer had a 40 euros discount so I said "oh et puis merde" and bought a Switch with Zelda for 309 euros !

I've had my Wii U pre-order since August last year, and in hindsight £35 is a bargain.

A little annoyed to hear about the frame rate issues though - not only has it been delayed to accommodate the Switch, it looks like the Wii U version may have benefitted from some more attention.

That's speculation of course, but it has been said that the dev team were not exactly happy to find out they needed to make the game for a new console. That surely had some impact on the Wii U version, even if they can't say as much.

It also makes me wonder if they had anything planned for the second screen, since the Switch only has one and they wanted to go for parity. The Sheika slate mimicking a gamepad strongly suggests they had something planned.

As a Wii U owner it's hard not feel kinda ripped off in this situation.

I have a White (to match my day one white Wii U) 1TB WD My Passport External HD coming from Best Buy and a USB Y cable coming from Amazon to go with my in-store pickup of Zelda: BotW on Friday just to experience this title now.

I think I'm even going to postpone my Horizon playthrough until a later date or maybe even during the summer drought to avoid the fatigue.

Well, Amazon isn't letting me cancel my ancient preorder, so I might be buying it on both. Hopefully they don't make me pay for a return.

But really, I'll call them later in the week.

If the emulation of Zelda Wii U version is decent enough around summer time then I might buy it and just play it on PC. If it's flimsy then I'll just get it on Switch when I get the console (probably when Mario drops).

Justinh

I am fully prepared to buy a white Wii U to play Zelda if my Switch pre-order at Walmart falls through.
Good luck finding them. They are discounted and practically not being sold anymore.
I think the best place to get one now probably is just from the Nintendo store.

Getting worried I'm not getting this game at launch. My preorder for the Wii U version was made 8 months ago and the delivery estimate still given by Amazon is 31 March 2017.

I emailed them asking wtf, why no release day delivery? They responed with "We only offer the Release-Date Delivery option when we know we can get the item from our suppliers in time to meet our delivery promise to you."

Jacce

Banned
I think the best place to get one now probably is just from the Nintendo store.

Getting worried I'm not getting this game at launch. My preorder for the Wii U version was made 8 months ago and the delivery estimate still given by Amazon is 31 March 2017.

I emailed them asking wtf, why no release day delivery? They responded with "We only offer the Release-Date Delivery option when we know we can get the item from our suppliers in time to meet our delivery promise to you."
I think the common assumption is the amount of WiiU editions of this game being shipped is far far far smaller than the Switch editions, similar to what was done with Twilight Princess. I wouldn't be surprised by this.

The GCN release of TP was more a or less a one and done shipment and pretty much everything GameCube related disappeared from store shelves pretty quickly after that. I think we should expect something similar here, you are probably going to see little to no WiiU retailer space in a month or so. The fact all hardware has already been pulled makes that feel all the more likely. I doubt we are going to ever see additional BotW WiiU disc printings after March.

Justinh

I think the common assumption is the amount of WiiU editions of this game being shipped is far far far smaller than the Switch editions, similar to what was done with Twilight Princess. I wouldn't be surprised by this.

The GCN release of TP was more a or less a one and done shipment and pretty much everything GameCube related disappeared from store shelves pretty quickly after that. I think we should expect something similar here, you are probably going to see little to no WiiU retailer space in a month or so. The fact all hardware has already been pulled makes that feel all the more likely. I doubt we are going to ever see additional BotW WiiU disc printings after March.

Ah, well that makes sense. I didn't know Twilight Princess on the GameCube was a one and done thing.

edit: Screw it, just preordered a copy at Best Buy too. I guess I'll just have two copies, maybe.

ghibli99

Wii U version preordered at Best Buy. Got it with that Visa deal, so I'm very happy with the price. Hopefully they come through w/ release day delivery. I must play this day one! :)

kunonabi

All this Amazon nonsense makes me even more glad I preordered a Japanese copy from Play-asia. Sent me another authorization yesterday so I should be good to go.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Good points on potential rarity. Just preordered from Best Buy even though I won't play until after Horizon and probably Mass Effect. It's a Nintnedo game so not like it's going to get cheaper in a month or two.

jdmonmou

You can't get the Wii U or Switch version on Amazon right now.
I just tried to pre-order the physical version on Amazon and could only find he digital code available for pre order. What the hell Nintendo? Are they really limiting shipments of their most anticipated game of the year? I guess I won't be playing this at launch then. Oh well, I've got Horizon Zero Dawn coming next week.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried to pre-order the physical version on Amazon and could only find he digital code available for pre order. What the hell Nintendo? Are they really limiting shipments of their most anticipated game of the year? I guess I won't be playing this at launch then. Oh well, I've got Horizon Zero Dawn coming next week.

Best Buy still has both. NOA and Amazon have had a rocky relationship with Amazon US not even directly carrying there hardware for a while. Nintnedo probably allocates them less stock that other places.

I find it very easy to feel unripped. They're releasing a game for the system they designed for for years, we will endure this hardship.
Well of course I would rather have BotW on the Wii U than not; as I said I've pre-ordered and I can't wait for Friday. I have two days booked off work just to play it.

But hearing about how the Switch version was dumped on the dev team at a comparatively late stage does make me wonder. And if it weren't for the Switch we would probably have been playing it already.

Arttemis

Even as a Wii U owner, I'd rather have this game exclusive on superior hardware. The design concessions made to fit the lesser hardware will be present in any port.

I don't want to buy a Switch without a bundled game, nor do I want to play it on inferior hardware, so I'll probably be waiting until the holidays for the inevitable bundle.

Then that is messed up on Nintendo's part. I'm hoping people don't applaud that they are forcing their fanbase to buy the new console for a game that was first promised on the current gen and is cross gen now.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Then that is messed up on Nintendo's part. I'm hoping people don't applaud that they are forcing their fanbase to buy the new console for a game that was first promised on the current gen and is cross gen now.

To be fair, in terms of the retailer issue, there's not a lot Nintendo can do.

Wii U has been dead for ages, so they've already stopped carrying lots of things. Now that they have to carry Switch hardware, games, accessories etc. they're even less likely to keep any shelf space for Wii U stuff for very long.

If the game ends up rare to find online, then yeah that's on Nintendo as things like games aren't a big deal in terms of warehouse space for the big online stores.

Even as a Wii U owner, I'd rather have this game exclusive on superior hardware. The design concessions made to fit the lesser hardware will be present in any port.

I don't want to buy a Switch without a bundled game, nor do I want to play it on inferior hardware, so I'll probably be waiting until the holidays for the inevitable bundle.
I know what you mean, but I'm looking at it as a good excuse to double dip when I eventually pick up a Switch (probably when Mario is out).

With the added bonus that the Wii U version will probably hold value.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I know what you mean, but I'm looking at it as a good excuse to double dip when I eventually pick up a Switch (probably when Mario is out).

For me:

1. I'm not 100% certain I'll ever get a Switch as I dislike the concept/price/power level etc. as a console-only gamer who doesn't care about portability. It will likely have to build a very nice library of games I consider personal must plays for me to buy in, and/or get some nice deals/bundles/price drops, if this is the only hardware SKU we see. If there's a cheaper console only version with pro controller packed in some day, different story. But that seems unlikely.

2. I'm not big on the art style in this game at all. I'm not going to be wandering around soaking up the scenery like I will in Horizon. The Edge review seems to suggest that the main difference is the Wii U has more frame drops, but generallly not at times where they matter.

Thus the Wii U version seems more than good enough for me, vs. waiting for a slightly better version on hardware I may or may not buy a ways down the road.

Afrodium

Banned

I have no interest in double dipping and will probably be getting a Switch at the end of the year anyway for Super Mario Odyssey. It won't be cheaper at that point, I'd like to have this game on a console that I'll still have hooked up a year from now, and I'll want to play the BotW DLC when it drops later this year. All that plus the Switch version being the best version of the game are making me seriously consider just getting one at launch. It looks like I'll be getting a hefty tax return this year too...

neoemonk

Never say you're going to pirate something here. People will rip you a new one. Just say you borrowed the Wii U one or something if you really need to share it with people.

benjammin

I'll probably end up getting the Wii U version. Really excited about this one compared to Skyward Sword, and I doubt there will be adequate supply of Switches available for quote a while. I don't think I want to wait to play this game.

cireza

I cancelled my Switch pre-order today and prefer playing the game on Wii U.

Gotta give this console some more love !

atr0cious

I know most are in for physical to complete collections, but this is on the eshop Day one right? Need to make sure I'll be able to play it if Amazon fucked up. I'm double dipping on switch later when the dlc drops, so physical while cool, isn't a must for me.

Astral Dog

Eh,thats kinda selfish.

They have been making this game for the Wii U since SS released, chances are a launch Switch game wouldn't had utilized the hardware properly anyways.
Even as it is they only managed to up the resolution to 900p in docked mode.
and its not like the Switch is much more powerful than Wii U anyways

etking

Banned
I really wonder which version is the best version. Switch will have higher resolution, better audio and maybe better textures and draw distance. But the Wii-U version may have better light effects according to the screenshots. However on the hundreds of youtube videos you can instantly tell which version is being played as the Switch version immediately looks better and the Wii-U version is always a little foggy and blurry.

Astral Dog

I really wonder which version is the best version. Switch will have higher resolution, better audio and maybe better textures and draw distance. But the Wii-U version may have better light effects according to the screenshots. However on the hundreds of youtube videos you can instantly tell which version is being played as the Switch version immediately looks better and the Wii-U version is always a little foggy and blurry.
Doubt the Wii U version will have better lighting tbh .don't see any reason why it would be better. Probably just a problem with the lack of recent videos

xtianmarq

So the game is still not available on the EShop for pre-order/pre-load...

When does Nintendo put those up normally? Also I imagine that there's not any kind of pre-order bonus?

I was told by Nintendo customer service that preload "may not happen" ostensibly due to the risk of people leaking the game (which has already happened with Nintendo Europe). Downloading Wind Waker HD from Nintendo's site was pure hell - never again - so I went to Gamestop and preordered the physical copy.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
It's a Nintendo game its hard for those to drop in price. Sometimes they end up going up in price. If this were any other company you could wait a week or two and it would be half off already.

They were meaning not using Prime or GCU for the 20% new game discount (if in a region where those are available of course).

Changed my mind, will get it at launch with a Switch. Getting it on WiiU and waiting for the Switch to sort its issues out would've been the more rational choice, but I find it hard to project myself in the future in this crazy world, and since I can play the Switch at work a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Im getting it for Wii U. Simply because i wont be getting a switch at launch. Also, zelda and axiom will be the last games in my Wii U game collection.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They were meaning not using Prime or GCU for the 20% new game discount (if in a region where those are available of course).

Between GCU and the Visa checkout promo I preordered BotW for $38 including tax. Even at release paying $60 for a game seems crazy to me these days. Find myself preordering more games thanks to GCU and other deals I can stack with it.

Lettuce

Wii U will be the definitive version so am getting that and saving myself over £330

Doubt the Wii U version will have better lighting tbh .don't see any reason why it would be better. Probably just a problem with the lack of recent videos

I think the Wii U version will be identitcal (bar resolution) as the Switch version is a Port of the Wii U version and will probably run like arse on the Switch!

Top Bottom