• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who will buy Zelda BOTW WiiU ?

What system are you buying Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for?

Results are only viewable after voting.

arlucool

Here's a video comparing the final WiiU build side by side with the Switch version in almost perfect synchrony. They look pretty similar to me. (Very beginning and early areas that have already been shown - so nothing "spoilery.")

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=YQbkBlpJX24
People noticed that in the comparison, Switch version has a lens flare effect going on, that is not present on the Wii U, but I think that little secuence after Links gets out if the Chamber must not be 100% scripted, and maybe a cloud was hiding light? In this video, the Wii U version clearly makes use of the effect: https://youtu.be/4I4EGUcGAkk?t=17m48s

Not laziness, they likely were deliberate in not wanting map, inventory etc. their as they didn't want to give people more reason to stick with the Wii U for the game instead of upgrading to Switch.

Probably even shittier than just being lazy, but hey they want to sell their new platform so I guess I can understand. At least they didn't cancel the Wii U version and it seems to run pretty damn well despite the power difference to docked Switch so it could be worse.

I feel the same - shady is worse than lazy but at least we are getting it in the first place!

I am so stoked for Friday my dudes.

Messiek

Apparently the game is supposed to hit the eShop tomorrow for some pre-load action.

Now, about the time of it being available on Friday, midnight PST ?

I fucking love the Wii U by the way.
Very happy to see that not everyone has abandoned the WiiU and/or starts speaking ill of it the closer the Switch launch draws. I never regret the purchase of the U, and never will. Amazing console with low energy consumption and a fantastic library.
Had a Switch and the corresponding version pre-ordered first, but got melancholic and canceled them. I feel that I owe it to my WiiU to give it one more treat. I hope lots of people get the U version to show Nintendo that people still care for it.

Messiek

Source on that?

Saw on reddit 2 different users contacted Nintendo support asking and they said there will be pre-load for the game.

Also, if you check the BotW page on Nintendo's website, the digital edition for the switch says: Available at launch ; but the WiiU digital edition says: Coming soon. Buy to play it at launch.

mingo

Double dipping Wii u and Switch. Most likely the last Wii u game I buy. Helps I got that £10 discount thing from Amazon.

I keep flip flopping on whether to go with this or try to get a switch on friday. The rational side of me says the switch will be a paperweight until mario and just go with wii-u, but I read reports of the frame rate being dodgy on this version and bad frame rates annoy the shit out of me

Raven77

That comparison video just sold me on getting the Wii U version and just waiting on a Switch. I consider myself to understand a lot about game graphics, the benefits you can get with more hardware power and I just don't see much of any difference. The draw distances seem about the same, performance seems roughly the same. I don't see anything that says "Yes, spend $300 because that is much better than the Wii U version".

Am I missing something here? They look practically identical.

(note: I am watching in 720p since at work so could have missed some things)

So the box is a misprint?

I would likely say yes. My brother was unable to get the wiimote/nunchuck to work. Even the in game manual (bottom of pic) only shows the wiiu pro and wiiu gamepad.

picture1488391574_zpsv58bviil.jpg

LordKano

That comparison video just sold me on getting the Wii U version and just waiting on a Switch. I consider myself to understand a lot about game graphics, the benefits you can get with more hardware power and I just don't see much of any difference. The draw distances seem about the same, performance seems roughly the same. I don't see anything that says "Yes, spend $300 because that is much better than the Wii U version".

Performance is way better on Switch, resolution too and there's more AA (which is more noticeable on the big screen tho). Also, obviously there's the whole portable aspect.

But the Wii U version is a good way to enjoy the game in itself if you're not interested in any games beyond Zelda and aren't willing to spend 300$ on the console.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Not me. I'm trying to find love and so I'm quitting videogames.

There are frame-rate drops and I don't think that comparison video is all that useful, since it barely has footage from the open world.

Look at this video: at 7:09 theres drops, and then also at 7:52 when they are fighting an enemy (pay attention to the second axe swing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJsn2MdHOr8&t=429s

But still, I'm gonna go with the WiiU version

killatopak

I was thinking about it before since I wanted to play it without going for the switch.

But after all the bad news from this version, I'll be looking to play it on the switch. It also helpa that I want to play the better version in the first place.

This just means I won't be able to play it day 1.

hzsn724

Buying both versions but playing it on Wii U. I managed to snag a Special Ed BotW for Switch, but I have no plans on buying the console yet. This will be a good swansong for Wii U.

RK9039

Wii U at launch, I have it pre-ordered. In my position I don't really see the point of a Switch, especially after seeing that comparison video - there doesn't seem to be a huge difference.

A friend has played the Wii U version and it has some bad framrates in certain areas (villages, if more enemies attack, heavy weather, many trees etc.). He said the framerate is not for everyone, the game itself is great. And that's my experience from some wii u videos too. if you can live with some worse aliasing and drops at times to 20fps in busier areas no problem. Switch isn't exactly bringing a next gen feeling but lesser aliasing, is sharper and runs more stable after leaving the plateau.

Zero performance issues so far on the WiiU version and the graphic quality is better then i expected. Looks great playing it on the gamepad, but I'm actually blown away by how good it looks on my 150" projector. The only real downside in my mind is the fact you are paying $80 for a WiiU game which just seems awful when you think about it. Also haven't played a WiiU game in a while and I forgot how much i disliked the game-pad in terms of button layout (triggers mainly).

Have a friend getting the switch copy on Friday and we are planning a LAN so I'm interested to see the graphics split in person.

Ernest

Banned
I'm totally getting it on the U.

I don't think I'm ever getting a Switch, which will be the very first Nintendo console I won't buy.

RedFox85

I Just don't know man but I need to make my mind up by friday right?

I will say this, anyone saying drops to 19-20FPS is no big deal has NO idea what the hell they are talking about, it is a big deal and it looks like ass. I found a video with a frame counter while playing the Wii U version, what I want to point out about this video is that the player is fighting only 3 enemies in a fairly standard location (devoid of heavy smoke or water/reflections) allot of his scenery is blocked by that mountain and the games performance STILL seems to be shitting the bed.

https://youtu.be/XQElPnJ5w20?t=56

After watching that I really am quite conflicted. I need to look at more switch gameplay and see if those kinds of drops still exist there, if they do I just have to suck it up and grab the wii u version.

Kuro

I will say this, anyone saying drops to 19-20FPS is no big deal has NO idea what the hell they are talking about, it is a big deal and it looks like ass. I found a video with a frame counter while playing the Wii U version, what I want to point out about this video is that the player is fighting only 3 enemies in a fairly standard location (devoid of heavy smoke or water/reflections) allot of his scenery is blocked by that mountain and the games performance STILL seems to be shitting the bed.

After watching that I really am quite conflicted. I need to look at more switch gameplay and see if those kinds of drops still exist there, if they do I just have to suck it up and grab the wii u version.

That drop was obviously a combination of multiple enemies, grass, explosion and the major one which was the pan to the entire valley below.

Derkon

I was going to go Wii U on this but after catching a stream of some gameplay earlier in the week I'm not so sure now. Some of the frame drops in spots where pretty big.

I sure am glad that minor frame drops like these don't bother me. It definitely sucks for those who are sensitive to it but I keep expecting to see Just Cause 3 level of FR issues based on people's complaints. Instead what I see is a pretty standard console gaming experience. Sure it is below Nintendo's typical standards but it still isn't that bad.

boiled goose

good with gravy
I want to buy on Switch, but I don't know enough about the system to buy it now.

We don't know anything yet regarding digital content management and what happens to our WiiU/3DS digital content. I have to vote with my dollars. Wii U physical. Nintendo doesn't want my money.

RedFox85

That drop was obviously a combination of multiple enemies, grass, explosion and the major one which was the pan to the entire valley below.

Ok, and by multiple enemies we are talking 3 of the most basic examples of foes in the game (aside from the jelly blobs but I would assume the shaders on their bodies will cause other issues :p) so what will it do when they game decides to throw 4 or 5 at you? What happens when you are fighting enemies that shoot spells at you or cause explosions of their own? At the end of the day it still comes down to is 20fps acceptable to you or not and I don't think it will be for allot of people. This scene didn't even have fog, or reflections ffs, things that we know are going to further work the system. I don't really think "yeah but there was a valley camera pan" works that well here because this is an open world game..eight times out of 10 you are going to have some kind of scenic pan.

Kuro

I sure am glad that minor frame drops like these don't bother me. It definitely sucks for those who are sensitive to it but I keep expecting to see Just Cause 3 level of FR issues based on people's complaints. Instead what I see is a pretty standard console gaming experience. Sure it is below Nintendo's typical standards but it still isn't that bad.

Dropping to 20 from 30 is far from minor and pretty jarring but hopefully its a very rare drop.

Kadin

It's a big deal to YOU. As I've already commented on this in another thread, it's a non-issue for me. I'm fine with people not happy about it, just try to keep from labeling those of us not affected by it as not knowing what we're talking about. Some of us are able to look at things like this and still see the larger picture which is a fantastic game. It hasn't ruined my experience so far and I'm approaching 10hrs in now.

I'd hate to see people miss out on a fantastic title due to something like this but apparently some would just rather dismiss the game entirely which boggles my mind. But to each their own.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Already purchased for Wii U. Not getting a Switch until next year anyway and the differences for me appear so minute I don't think I'll notice.

Yep. And for me it doesn't run great on either platform, and I'm not a fan of the artstyle, so I just don't see the point in fussing over it myself. It's not a game like Horizon where a big part of my enjoyment is the mindblowingly awesome graphics. It's a game I'll play and enjoy despite not liking the graphics much, so why should I care about some frame drops, 720p instead of 900p? Much less by a portable console hybrid that I'm not sure I'll ever really want to get small boosts?

Metalgus

Banned
I can deal with this kind of FPS drops as long as they don't affect the responsiveness of the controls. Obviously they shouldn't be there in the first place, but I can deal with them. Wii U version for me.

RedFox85

It's a big deal to YOU. As I've already commented on this in another thread, it's a non-issue for me. I'm fine with people not happy about it, just try to keep from labeling those of us not affected by it as not knowing what we're talking about. Some of us are able to look at things like this and still see the larger picture which is a fantastic game. It hasn't ruined my experience so far and I'm approaching 10hrs in now.

I'd hate to see people miss out on a fantastic title due to something like this but apparently some would just rather dismiss the game entirely which boggles my mind. But to each their own.

I see what you are saying, but at the end of the day I want the best performing version of that fantastic game and I think when it comes down to it you just may be the minority on this one. Regardless, if a 20-30FPS version was all we had, I would NOT let that stop me from buying and completing the game, I am simply saying that if we have the option for something that runs better it might be worth taking that option.

Cosmozone

Ended up getting it for Wii U, mainly because I can play the game two days earlier since it was already sitting on the shelf, just begging to be grabbed. (yes, I'm weak.)

Astral Dog

I'm hoping they provide a performance patch more. But in either case it's going to be highly unikely. There's no reason to waste resources patching the last gen version when all hands are on deck for the Switch
Well they are doing the season pass on Wii U, long after stoping making any U games

Kadin

I see what you are saying, but at the end of the day I want the best performing version of that fantastic game and I think when it comes down to it you just may be the minority on this one. Regardless, if a 20-30FPS version was all we had, I would NOT let that stop me from buying and completing the game, I am simply saying that if we have the option for something that runs better it might be worth taking that option.
Yeah obviously everyone will want the better option here but if you're on the fence between buying a Switch just for this game and the improvements to Zelda versus buying the game for the Wii U which I assume most already have, I can't justify that cost difference. I've watched the videos of the game on Switch and while I find it hard to notice any immediate advantages, I know others might.

I might have read your initial comment wrong and if I did I apologize. It came off to me as though you were just dismissing it entirely. I fully support those wanting it on Switch of course instead of Wii U.

Dropping to 20 from 30 is far from minor and pretty jarring but hopefully its a very rare drop.

It's minor to me...opinions...

Now if it stayed at 20 for a significant length of time (10+ seconds lets say) then it would start to bother me.

Like I said, it sucks for those super sensitive to it but as a lifetime console gamer these kinds of drops have been pretty standard over the last 30+ years.

M-PG71C

I understand why people may get the U version instead, but for me it is Switch all the way. My Wii U has a permanent home under the TV but being able to play it on a shiny new console is too much for me to ignore. Besides, there is Bomberman.

Astral Dog

[KoRp]Jazzman;231268489 said:
Zero performance issues so far on the WiiU version and the graphic quality is better then i expected. Looks great playing it on the gamepad, but I'm actually blown away by how good it looks on my 150" projector. The only real downside in my mind is the fact you are paying $80 for a WiiU game which just seems awful when you think about it. Also haven't played a WiiU game in a while and I forgot how much i disliked the game-pad in terms of button layout (triggers mainly).

Have a friend getting the switch copy on Friday and we are planning a LAN so I'm interested to see the graphics split in person.
It is indeed awful Wii U games cost $60 o_O

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Very happy to see that not everyone has abandoned the WiiU and/or starts speaking ill of it the closer the Switch launch draws. I never regret the purchase of the U, and never will. Amazing console with low energy consumption and a fantastic library.
Had a Switch and the corresponding version pre-ordered first, but got melancholic and canceled them. I feel that I owe it to my WiiU to give it one more treat. I hope lots of people get the U version to show Nintendo that people still care for it.

I beg to differ. Wii U is an abysmal system with only a handful of great games. Low power consumption, thats a nonfactor for most.

Bayonetta 2 and Tropical Freeze are all time classics but Nintendo's lost my trust. They didnt fully support it through its life cycle and killed it before even 4 years.

At least Zelda looks like its shaping up to be another classic.

Kadin

I found a video from gamersyde which shows a similar combat scenario (minus explosion) on the switch version of the game vs 3 hobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abN2UxSBZEk

I think for me personally the fact that you can hit and kill enemies without a frame dip is the major difference between the two.

*EDIT*

Again, for reference here is the Wii U version in the similar combat scenario.

Not to completely dismiss this comparison but did you notice in the Wii U video, the majority of that slowdown was being caused by the all the far off landscape you see to the right, which the Switch video doesn't show? I only point this out because honestly it's not a fair comparison. The Switch video does show stuff off in the distance, but nothing like the other video. And that's where the slowdown occurs.

True that. Count me among the "both versions"-crowd though. Yet since I'll play the game with my flatmate, we'll play the Switch version first, I'll probably replay it on the WiiU on my own at some point to see how they compare.

kunonabi

I found a video from gamersyde which shows a similar combat scenario (minus explosion) on the switch version of the game vs 3 hobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abN2UxSBZEk

I think for me personally the fact that you can hit and kill enemies without a frame dip is the major difference between the two.

*EDIT*

Again, for reference here is the Wii U version in the similar combat scenario.

It's not ideal, but if the counter wasn't there it wouldn't be that noticeable. W101 had framerate issues too and still managed to be the best game released this gen so far.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I beg to differ. Wii U is an abysmal system with only a handful of great games.

This is where things start to get subjective, unfortunately. The Wii U had at least about 20 really stellar titles and at least 35 to 40 "good" titles overall, IMHO.

But it's entirely a matter of taste. Folks that into first-person shooters won't find much on the platform for them, for instance.

Top Bottom