• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whoa... more linux goodness.... you know what ;).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
A_Lee_N said:
We'll see, from Sony's standpoint it makes perfectly sense to limit exactly how much of the hardware you open up for non certified developers. It has to do with security of the platform and I've seen this coming from a long way.. the fact that they're confirming it now only makes it less likely that they'll ever open up the full hardware.

I hope you're right though, PS3 would be a really interesting platform for homebrew under full capacity. I'm just not holding my breath, and neither should you.

Ok, look at this this way... they give you DVD, CD and BD-ROM mounting access and yet they would restrict FOREVER any KIND OF 2D acceleration (I am not talking about low level RSX register access, I am talking about even an Open GL driver that gives you a completely high Level access of RSX Shader ALU's) ?!?

Take a look back at PlayStation 2 Linux where you could not mount anything besides SCE's Linux discs ;). Now, why would they remove that restriction (BIG news) and shoot themselves in the foot (they have nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose by not giving any kind of 3d acceleration) ?!?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Panajev2001a said:
Take a look back at PlayStation 2 Linux where you could not mount anything besides SCE's Linux discs ;). Now, why would they remove that restriction (BIG news) and shoot themselves in the foot (they have nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose by not giving any kind of 3d acceleration) ?!?
Because KK is insane of course :D

Lee N

Membre
Panajev2001a said:
Ok, look at this this way... they give you DVD, CD and BD-ROM mounting access and yet they would restrict FOREVER any KIND OF 2D acceleration (I am not talking about low level RSX register access, I am talking about even an Open GL driver that gives you a completely high Level access of RSX Shader ALU's) ?!?
I'm as surprised as you are about the full lockdown, it seems needlessly strict. But it does say in the docs that it's not allowed. Maybe they'll lighten up on the restrictions further down the road, but I do not expect that they'll ever open up the hardware fully.

j^aws

Panajev2001a said:
...Now, why would they remove that restriction (BIG news) and shoot themselves in the foot (they have nothing to gain and quite a bit to lose by not giving any kind of 3d acceleration) ?!?

A couple of theories:

- Linux is a trojan horse for CELL. They want dev focus there initialy.

- NV don't have G80 linux drivers ready! ;)

Blimblim

The Inside Track
wsippel said:
Probably not. Nvidia doesn't give a rats ass about Linux/ PPC, let alone supporting special GPUs like RSX...
Well seeing that they litteraly have hundreds of thousands of potential users, they might be interested in this doing this.

wsippel

Banned
_leech_ said:
They're way better about it than ATI, that's for sure.
Absolutely. I hope things get better now that AMD bought ATI, though. AMD is usually quite Linux-friendly. But I still don't beleive we'll ever see official RSX drivers, and I also don't think Sony will ever hand out the hardware docs...

wsippel

Banned
Blimblim said:
Well seeing that they litteraly have hundreds of thousands of potential users, they might be interested in this doing this.
Linux on Power is all but uncommon. It's a standard IBM combo. But there are Linux/ IA64 drivers, so maybe, just maybe, Nvidia will provide drivers for PPC64. But that still doesn't mean the drivers will support RSX I'm afraid...

maxmars

wsippel said:
Probably not. Nvidia doesn't give a rats ass about Linux/ PPC, let alone supporting special GPUs like RSX...

I wish all other companies supported Linux like NVidia does.. Although they don't give away their sources, so that creates a few problems of its own. But, their support is incredible.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
wsippel said:

Sorry, I cannot hear you over this latest, official, non beta 96.xx driver that supports high speed compiz+AIGLX (in Fedora Core 6).... what did you say again ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
wsippel said:
Absolutely. I hope things get better now that AMD bought ATI, though. AMD is usually quite Linux-friendly. But I still don't beleive we'll ever see official RSX drivers, and I also don't think Sony will ever hand out the hardware docs...

What for ? They offer free NV4x/G7x developers guides online, they offer tons of free tools and custom extensions lists, etc... they would only need to make a binary driver supporting PSGL and give controlled access to shaders through PSGL and Cg (which they offer for Linux).

Top Bottom