• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whole milk is bad for you. No wait it's good for you. Umm...¯\_()_/¯ (Wapo article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...millions-away-from-whole-milk-was-that-wrong/

For decades, the government steered millions away from whole milk. Was that wrong?

U.S. dietary guidelines have long recommended that people steer clear of whole milk, and for decades, Americans have obeyed. Whole milk sales shrunk. It was banned from school lunch programs. Purchases of low-fat dairy climbed.

“Replace whole milk and full-fat milk products with fat-free or low-fat choices,” says the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, the federal government's influential advice book, citing the role of dairy fat in heart disease.

Whether this massive shift in eating habits has made anyone healthier is an open question among scientists, however. In fact, research published in recent years indicates that the opposite might be true: millions might have been better off had they stuck with whole milk.

Scientists who tallied diet and health records for several thousand patients over ten years found, for example, that contrary to the government advice, people who consumed more milk fat had lower incidence of heart disease.

After all the decades of research, it is possible that the key lesson on fats is two-fold. Cutting saturated fats from diets, and replacing them with carbohydrates, as is often done, likely will not reduce heart disease risk. But cutting saturated fats and replacing them with unsaturated fats -- the type of fats characteristic of fish, nuts and vegetable oils -- might.

This shift in understanding has led to accusations that the Dietary Guidelines harmed those people who for years avoided fats -- as instructed -- and loaded up excessively on the carbohydrates in foods such as breads, cookies and cakes that were marketed as "low fat."

It also has raised questions about the scientific foundations of the government’s diet advice: To what extent did the federal government, and the diet scientists they relied upon, go wrong? When the evidence is incomplete on a dietary question, should the government refrain from making recommendations?

“The vibrant certainty of scientists claiming to be authorities on these matters is disturbing,” George V. Mann, a biochemist at Vanderbilt’s medical school wrote in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Ambitious scientists and food companies, he said, had “transformed [a] fragile hypothesis into treatment dogma.”

Indeed, the subsequent 40 years of science have proven that, if nothing else, the warning against saturated fats was simplistic.

By itself, cutting saturated fats appears to do little to reduce heart disease. Several evidence reviews -- essentially summing up years of research -- have found no link.

“There is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of coronary heart disease,” said one published in 2010 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

“Current evidence does not clearly support” guidelines linking saturated fat and heart disease, according to a review of experiments and observational studies published in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

“Saturated fats are not associated” with mortality, heart disease, strokes or type 2 diabetes, a major review in the British Medical Journal reported in July.

One of the most noted experiments on fats was the Women's Health Initiative, which involved more than 48,000 older women. Some had counseling to eat less fat and more vegetables and fruits; others continued, more or less, with their normal diets. Subjects in the diet group cut their saturated fat intake from 13 percent of their diet to 10 percent, as well as their consumption of other fats. Their levels of "bad" cholesterol dropped. Yet when it came to heart disease, researchers found no significant difference between the two groups.

To many critics, the trouble with the fat warning was not merely academic.

The “campaign to reduce fat in the diet has had some pretty disastrous consequences,” Walter Willett, dean of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health has said. “With more fat-free products than ever, Americans got fatter.”

One of the flaws of nutrition studies is that they rely on people to accurately recall what they’ve eaten over the course of a year. Those recollections are vulnerable to inaccuracy, especially for dairy fats which can be found in small amounts in many different foods. This inaccuracy may be one of the reasons studies have yielded contrary results on the link between milk and heart disease.

To improve estimates, Otto and Mozaffarian used a blood sample for each of more than 2,800 U.S. adults. Using the blood sample, they could detect how much dairy fats each had consumed. And over the eight-year follow up period, those who had consumed the most dairy fat were far less likely to develop heart disease compared to those who had consumed the least.

The advocates of whole milk allow that it has more calories than its low fat cousins, and for some, that might be reason to avoid it. But the traditional case against whole milk -- based on the risk of heart disease -- has frayed enough now that many argue the Dietary Guidelines should yield to the new findings.

“There is no scientific basis for current dietary advice regarding dairy,” Benatar said. “Fears [about whole milk] are not supported by evidence. The message that it is okay to have whole fat food, including whole fat milk, is slowly seeping into consciousness. But there is always a lag between evidence and changes in attitude.”

Do you think nutritional science has been particularly prone to politicization or influence from agricultural industry interests or lobbyists? Or was that a one off?

Do you think there are some things now that we believe with a fairly high certainty that will turn out to be not so certain 20 years from now?

Kraftwerk

Everything is bad for you. Everything will give you cancer.

Dont overdo shit and enjoy life,. We are all going to die.

That's my motto at least.

Dennis

Banned
If you consumed the calories you saved by going to skim milk from whole milk as sugar-foods then yes, whole milk would have been better.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If you consumed the calories you saved by going to skim milk from whole milk as sugar-foods then yes, whole milk would have been better.

Seems to be the case, yeah.

After all the decades of research, it is possible that the key lesson on fats is two-fold. Cutting saturated fats from diets, and replacing them with carbohydrates, as is often done, likely will not reduce heart disease risk. But cutting saturated fats and replacing them with unsaturated fats -- the type of fats characteristic of fish, nuts and vegetable oils -- might.

This shift in understanding has led to accusations that the Dietary Guidelines harmed those people who for years avoided fats -- as instructed -- and loaded up excessively on the carbohydrates in foods such as breads, cookies and cakes that were marketed as "low fat."

marrec

Banned
Nutritional sciences are prone to the same problems as any science IE it's super hard to get right. Add in studies that often involve self-reporting (notoriously bad) and the rapid advances in our understanding of what nutrients are actually doing in our bodies and it absolutely makes sense that we're living in a time of upheaval for these recommendations.

Give it 100-125 years and it'll balance out, but for now basing your purchases on any single study and hoping for the best is a terrible way to live life.

Also, drink Almond Milk anyway.

As someone who is lactose intolerant I developed a taste for lactaid free milk and regualr milk tastes too watery and bland

RuGalz

I always wondered if the recommendation had any influence from food industry wanting to sell skim milk that used to go waste. I drink almond milk though so it's irrelevant to me I guess.

FStop7

Banned
When was the concept of "in moderation" banned from society?

I swear to God, these studies and these articles...

zeopower6

tbh, I just drink it cause I like the taste and use whole milk in most recipes ~_~ Reduced fat/skim milks are just sad.

Almond milk is pretty watery but is better for cereal than water.

You can't beat whole milk and heavy whipping cream for texture and flavor though.

jmdajr

I started drinking whole since my kid was born. Cholesterol levels have not gone up.

They have actually gone down. BUT, that's because I cut down my sugar intake. Imagine that.

jmdajr

Last I read Saturated fats are neutral. Meaning your bad and good cholesterol both go up.

Only Poly and Mono fats raise your good cholesterol without raising the bad.

And from I understand, sugar/carbs raise your triglyceride through the fucking roof.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Whole milk is great, making an espresso based beverage with anything else is criminal.

Milk in general isn't good for you.

It's meant for calves.

Good back to the prehistoric era you neanderthal.

Most modern humans can handle milk fine. Perhaps you are one of the archaic remnants.

Whole milk tasts much nicer. We started using it at home after having children, because whole milk is advised for infants, and I realised I had been missing out.

BlueWord

Eating a handful of cow is different from drinking milk.

Eating a handful of almonds is different from drinking almond milk.

Who knew?

Does this... really make sense to you? Because it actually doesn't in real life.

With the growing evidence linking high carbohydrate diets to a whole host of health issues – namely diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity – it's really no wonder people are reexamining our stance on at milk.

A glass of skim milk has roughly 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrates – all of which are sugar – with no fat. With milk being pushed from every angle as a health food (not to mention fruit juices), kids are drinking several glasses of this a day, and there's really no question that it's contributing to growing obesity levels among children.

FZZ

Banned
Good back to the prehistoric era you neanderthal.

Most modern humans can handle milk fine. Perhaps you are one of the archaic remnants.

Whole milk tasts much nicer. We started using it at home after having children, because whole milk is advised for infants, and I realised I had been missing out.

You sound and talk like a fuckwit. Calling a poster a neanderthal when your fucking knowledge on the subject consists of nothing substantial and you posted nothing in response is pathetic.

Here let me give you an article that might be simple enough for you to understand. Be warned though it has some pretty big words and links a scientific study as well. Don't want to overwhelm you.

smfh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom