• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whole milk is bad for you. No wait it's good for you. Umm...¯\_()_/¯ (Wapo article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
Does this... really make sense to you? Because it actually doesn't in real life.

With the growing evidence linking high carbohydrate diets to a whole host of health issues – namely diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity – it's really no wonder people are reexamining our stance on at milk.

A glass of skim milk has roughly 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrates – all of which are sugar – with no fat. With milk being pushed from every angle as a health food (not to mention fruit juices), kids are drinking several glasses of this a day, and there's really no question that it's contributing to growing obesity levels among children.
Lmao.

Im pretty sure you can stop quite a few places before blaming milk for childhood obesity.

Milks main purpose is to help mammals grow. Its not wonder juice or something. There are other benefits to be had from it that you can find elsewhere but its perfectly fine taken in moderation. Especially within a suitable diet and exercise routine.

Jay Sosa

Food science:

enhanced-buzz-22650-1360175400-3.jpg

Anything but skim. You need some fat to absorb the vitamins it's fortified with.

Whole or 2 percent. I find that 2 percent is the sweet spot for many, though. Whole may be too creamy for many.
Well, whole it is. Much tastier anyway. Maybe i'll buy a cow so he can drink straight from it. That's the best tasting milk.

Can't stand the taste of soy either.

Cow's milk is delicious.

I also try to stay away from industrialized soy products, which are everywhere. I don't mind traditional soy--like tofu.

Soy Milk is better in chocolate yo.

iu

This necter puts the classic chocolate milk to shame.

entremet

Food science:

enhanced-buzz-22650-1360175400-3.jpg

Food Science is actually pretty legit. It's the type of stuff Alton Brown of Good Eats does.

What you're talking about is Nutritional Science. And the issue with it is that it is notoriously hard to test via the scientific method, which prefers black box models.

It's incredibly hard to isolate the variables, which is why meta analyses are preferred. Yet even those have blind spots because you also need to factor big things like genetics, environment, stress levels, sleep, and so on.

Biological systems are very complex and using a method designed for the physical sciences, where you can isolate variables more easier, brings problems.

Walter Matthau

Gold Member
Good back to the prehistoric era you neanderthal.

Most modern humans can handle milk fine. Perhaps you are one of the archaic remnants.

Whole milk tasts much nicer. We started using it at home after having children, because whole milk is advised for infants, and I realised I had been missing out.

Global-Lactose-Intolerance.png

fatchris

You sound and talk like a fuckwit. Calling a poster a neanderthal when your fucking knowledge on the subject consists of nothing substantial and you posted nothing in response is pathetic.

Here let me give you an article that might be simple enough for you to understand. Be warned though it has some pretty big words and links a scientific study as well. Don't want to overwhelm you.

smfh

I think you're taking the joke a bit too seriously - the poster is implying that milk is unhealthy for neanderthals; a play on the fact that only a small portion of modern humans have evolved with the ability to digest milk into adulthood.

As for your implied intellectual supremacy, well, you posted an abcnews article that contains something taught in grade school. There is still no compelling evidence that dairy is bad for people with the ability to digest lactose however small that percentage of the population may be.

Pifje

I'm a strong believer that anything and everything liquid with sugar in it (like lactose in milk) is bad for you, or at least make you more easily to gain fat.

Eat that burger plus a sugary coke, and that insulin spike caused by the very easily digested sugar from the coke will store those combined calories (coke + burger) as fat cells. And, sure, calorie is still a calorie, but insulin and digestion have a role in this also.

Jay Sosa

Food Science is actually pretty legit. It's the type of stuff Alton Brown of Good Eats does.

What you're talking about is Nutritional Science. And the issue with it is that it is notoriously hard to test via the scientific method, which prefers black box models.

It's incredibly hard to isolate the variables, which is why meta analyses are preferred. Yet even those have blind spots because you also need to factor big things like genetics, environment, stress levels, sleep, and so on.

Biological systems are very complex and using a method designed for the physical sciences, where you can isolate variables more easier, brings problems.

I know, I know, I was just kidding. The only ones to blame are those that want to make money off every new trend.

RDreamer

I could never drink whole milk. Tastes like creamer. Only 1% or 2% for me. Growing up it was always 2%. When I got a bit older I went to 1%. Now I'm dating a vegan so I don't get as much cows milk. I've converted entirely to almond milk in my cereal. Can't drink that stuff straight though. Once in a while I buy a bit of cows milk, but my consumption of it has gone waaaaaaay down.

Of course nutritional science and food policy are prone to politicization from monetary interests. Agriculture was the first industry and food makes the world go round.

I think the fundamental problem with the subject is even simpler and more intractable: people need to know what to eat, while nutrition is a slow and impossibly complex science with a hundred, a thousand, a million indeterminable background factors and a subject that can't just be locked in a laboratory for forty years of study. It's reasonable to demand answers to the question of what's healthy, because you need to consume something and you will regardless, but it's not necessarily reasonable to expect them as immediately as we do.

Thus, we've had to deal with 60-70 years of public policy declarations pulled this way or that by economically interested parties based on, at bottom, hasty, biased, and flawed nutritional assumptions that stuck, like the diet-heart hypothesis.

This is why I tend to favor advice as simple as, "Eat moderately, eat variety, don't overdo it on the animal fats." It's not a position supported by any specific piece of research, but it is one that will avoid the unintended consequences of too-limited studies that get public support, for whatever reason. Until nutrition and the burgeoning field of nutrigenomics mature, I can't help but see elements of shamanism or phrenology in wide-scale governmental nutritional advice.

entremet

This is why I tend to favor advice as simple as, "Eat moderately, eat variety, don't overdo it on the animal fats." It's not a position supported by any specific piece of research, but it is one that will avoid the unintended consequences of too-limited studies that get public support, for whatever reason. Until nutrition and the burgeoning field of nutrigenomics mature, I can't help but see elements of shamanism or phrenology in wide-scale governmental nutritional advice.

The problem with nutritional advice is the monied interest and the fact that is just one aspect of health. Stress management, sleep, social connections, physical activity all have huge affects on health, but those are rarely mentioned.

Our lifestyles are also way too sedentary too.

There are some silver bullets, though. Trans fats and excess added sugars have been proven to be deleterious to health.

I must have been living under a rock this whole time cause I never got the memo to stop drinking whole milk. I love whole milk! The only things I've cut out of my diet over the years has been soda and fruit juice.

whole milk is so good for you

you dont need anyone to tell you otherwise

little bit of fat keeps you happy, a good 8 grams of complete protein keeps you strong and its full of vitamins and minerals

you can get a whole gallon for like 4-5 dollars

its a godsend

You sound and talk like a fuckwit. Calling a poster a neanderthal when your fucking knowledge on the subject consists of nothing substantial and you posted nothing in response is pathetic.

Here let me give you an article that might be simple enough for you to understand. Be warned though it has some pretty big words and links a scientific study as well. Don't want to overwhelm you.

smfh
Damn dude :p

The problem with nutritional advice is the monied interest and the fact that is just one aspect of health. Stress management, sleep, social connections, physical activity all have huge affects on health, but those are rarely mentioned.

Our lifestyles are also way too sedentary too.

There are some silver bullets, though. Trans fats and excess added sugars have been proven to be deleterious to health.

Oh, certainly, and I didn't mean to suggest that one should just eat anything, and fuck all the science. But given how complex a biological system is just on its own, let alone in conjunction with the many environmental factors that modulate it, we're still decades away from conclusions and recommendations more complex than ones like the ones you've outlined.

Saudades

Oh man, I just started drinking skimmed recently cause I thought it'd be healthier and now this...dammit. Stop giving me conflicting info.

FZZ

Banned
I think you're taking the joke a bit too seriously - the poster is implying that milk is unhealthy for neanderthals; a play on the fact that only a small portion of modern humans have evolved with the ability to digest milk into adulthood.

As for your implied intellectual supremacy, well, you posted an abcnews article that contains something taught in grade school. There is still no compelling evidence that dairy is bad for people with the ability to digest lactose however small that percentage of the population may be.

60% of the world's population is lactose intolerant. Stating that I am the neanderthal is incorrect, especially since White Caucasians are closer to Neanderthals than any other group on earth. And it is that very group that tends to not be lactose intolerant.

There is no implied intellectual supremacy. I was blatantly calling the poster out on their own bullshit especially since they did not reply with any apt source for a rebuttal. Let alone have proper discourse and immediately went to calling me a neanderthal for suggesting that milk from cows is meant for calves.

Here's another source that may be up to your standards since apparently what I linked was taught in elementary.

I'm not claiming intellectual supremacy over everyone, especially on a gaming forum filled with CS majors and engineers but I won't take degrading comments from drive by posts and do nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom