• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whole milk is bad for you. No wait it's good for you. Umm...¯\_()_/¯ (Wapo article)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeopower6

A glass of skim milk has roughly 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrates – all of which are sugar – with no fat. With milk being pushed from every angle as a health food (not to mention fruit juices), kids are drinking several glasses of this a day, and there's really no question that it's contributing to growing obesity levels among children.

Obesity levels in children are probably more of a thing due to a lack of physical activity. You think people didn't drink whole milk daily decades ago?

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
I drink close to a gallon of whole white every day...I'm fine.

Does this... really make sense to you? Because it actually doesn't in real life.

With the growing evidence linking high carbohydrate diets to a whole host of health issues – namely diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and obesity – it's really no wonder people are reexamining our stance on at milk.

A glass of skim milk has roughly 9 grams of protein and 12 grams of carbohydrates – all of which are sugar – with no fat. With milk being pushed from every angle as a health food (not to mention fruit juices), kids are drinking several glasses of this a day, and there's really no question that it's contributing to growing obesity levels among children.

How many kids that you know drink several glasses of milk that wasn't an infant or under the age of 3?

Everything is bad for you. Everything will give you cancer.

Dont overdo shit and enjoy life,. We are all going to die.

That's my motto at least.

Way to ruin my day =(

Bass260

No shit.

Cow's milk is made to fatten up a calf in a few months time. Our human bodies don't need it...period.

entremet

Whole milk is amazing for bulking. I never did GOMAD, but I did do a quart of milk a day and put some solid mass.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Oh this again.

It's not as essential as the dairy board makes it seem. Neither is it bad for you. It's like everything else we eat or drink.

I like skim milk better, but that's a personal preference.

D

Deleted member 529084

Unconfirmed Member
Whole milk is amazing for bulking. I never did GOMAD, but I did do a quart of milk a day and put some solid mass.

I'm doing a Semi-Gomad

Drinking close to a gallon a day.

Went from 136 to 150lbs in 3-4 weeks.

I drink about 5 pints between 8am and 3pm.

And about a quart at dinner.

hirokazu

This article is weird. It goes from ragging on about the milk advice being wrong, to the argument that the guidelines of consuming less saturated fats is wrong because most people replaced them with carbs instead of being responsible. Then it goes back to being about milk.

Yeah, if your take away from the consume less saturated fats message is to swap all fats for carbs, and look out for "low fat" processed foods, obviously you're not gonna see much difference in your health. Food companies adopt quickly to the health advice and trends, they'll just as easily replace things out of vogue with equally bad things so they can slap a "LOW IN ***!" badge on the front.

Perhaps the real lesson to be learned here is better educate about health and less generalisations like "eat less fat!" And also, eat less processed foods but if you are choosing processed foods, read the nutrition labels, not the marketing on the front.

Full cream milk can probably be part of a balanced diet. As can low fat milk. The keyword is balanced. Replacing fats with more carbs is not balanced.

i gotta work on my calves

lookin pretty small brah

BqGT7W7CYAEUSo9.jpg

BlueWord

Obesity levels in children are probably more of a thing due to a lack of physical activity. You think people didn't drink whole milk daily decades ago?

I think people weren't consuming refined carbohydrates and sugars in the quantities in which they do today, definitely. Milk isn't the problem, but when looking at the diet as a whole it's just another component that is mostly sugar.

How many kids that you know drink several glasses of milk that wasn't an infant or under the age of 3?

I don't put much stock in anecdotal evidence, but I do see it a lot amongst my cousins. They pour it on their sugary cereal in the morning, it's given to them at lunch at school, as a drink before bed – that's a lot of milk.

antonz

Food health in this country is highly compromised by lobbying. At this point it seems like so many food health things brought up in the 70s and 80s has been completely debunked.

Jonm1010

Banned
Over the last few years I've basically gotten to the point of throwing my hands up. Honestly I just can't get a beat on what my diet should be.

It's beyond frustrating.

Be careful with fats. But wait fats are actually fine. Hold off on the butter but wait maybe that's ok. Omega 3 fatty acids are good but wait maybe they aren't so great. Protein is good but oh yeah it can be bad for your kidneys and liver. Be careful of the carbs but oh that Greek diet which is heavy on carbs is the best one. Same with the Japanese one with rice. But be careful on the carbs. Red meat is bad but it's not as bad as we thought. Then again maybe it is. Chicken and fish are good but don't eat meat every day. Fruits are fine but be careful Because It can be bad for your pancreas. Nuts are great but maybe not that great. Eggs are fine but maybe not too fine. Worry about cholesterol, don't worry too much.

It's fucking exhausting trying to mentally square up all the contradictory evidence out there.

FZZ

Banned
Over the last few years I've basically gotten to the point of throwing my hands up. Honestly I just can't get a beat on what my diet should be.

It's beyond frustrating.

Be careful with fats. But wait fats are actually fine. Hold off on the butter but wait maybe that's ok. Omega 3 fatty acids are good but wait maybe they aren't so great. Protein is good but oh yeah it can be bad for your kidneys and liver. Be careful of the carbs but oh that Greek diet which is heavy on carbs is the best one. Same with the Japanese one with rice. But be careful on the carbs. Red meat is bad but it's not as bad as we thought. Then again maybe it is.

It's fucking exhausting trying to mentally square up all the contradictory evidence out there.

Everything in moderation. Just have a balanced diet and exercise, I can guarantee you will be fine and you won't need to waste mental stamina either.

Jonm1010

Banned
Everything in moderation. Just have a balanced diet and exercise, I can guarantee you will be fine and you won't need to waste mental stamina either.
At the end of the day though you have to make choices. Trade offs. Pick and choose. And your choices have consequences. Or they don't.... Depends on the study. Maybe I just listen to the one that says genetics are the largest determinant? Or eating too much X, y, or z. Or who the fuck knows.

hirokazu

It's beyond frustrating.
Eat food*; mostly plants; not too much.

* Food meaning stuff that haven't been processed anymore than necessary when you bought it.

Jonm1010

Banned
Eat food*; mostly plants; not too much.

* Food meaning stuff that haven't been processed anymore than necessary when you bought it.
Yeah I've read Michael Pollan. It's nice general advice. But I also weight lift and excercise. So now where do I go? I need protein and energy but there is plenty of mixed evidence on protein. How much, how little. What is quality, what isn't. Long term what are the consequences?

It gets a lot messier the more you dig into it and narrow down your lifestyle..

illadelph

3973210-9519211577-milk-.gif

everyone just drink whatever fucking milk you want, and be sure to move around every day

let's not complicate shit guys

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Yeah I've read Michael Pollan. It's nice general advice. But I also weight lift and excercise. So now where do I go? I need protein and energy but there is plenty of mixed evidence on protein. How much, how little. What is quality, what isn't. Long term what are the consequences?

It gets a lot messier the more you dig into it and narrow down your lifestyle..
It's not messy. Drink lots of water. Lift heavy weights. Drink more water. Eat ridiculous amounts of veggies. Stay around 0.8lbs of protein per lb of body weight. Get quality sleep.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Food health in this country is highly compromised by lobbying. At this point it seems like so many food health things brought up in the 70s and 80s has been completely debunked.
It's not so much lobbying as it is food companies adapting to whatever guidelines are put out there. Candy is labeled as 'fat free' like it is somehow good for you. Fruit juice becomes a daily serving of fruit. If you give complex instructions people don't follow them, if you give simple instructions then 'bad' stuff is labeled as good. It's a lose/lose situation.

jax

Banned
Almond I'll cosign, but it tastes like garbage compared to milk.

And I will never drink soy milk ever.
I won't argue there, I hate the taste of most almond milks. I've found the only decent ones are the unsweetened vanilla options, and even those can get weird.

Soy is amazing though. A lot of the negativity towards Soy was created as a propaganda campaign by the panicked dairy industry. "Oh the Fido-Estrogen causes breast cancer in women and manboobs on men!" When standard dairy milk has regular estrogen, which does all the same shit only worse. I don't understand the negative stigma associated with Soy Milk. It tastes amazing.

BigDes

Kind of amazing how the human race has lasted for so long what with all the foods we have eaten for thousands of years suddenly becoming ultra megadeath poisons.

Sometimes I am honestly surprised we as a species can find our own front doors in the morning

JB1981

Nutritional sciences are prone to the same problems as any science IE it's super hard to get right. Add in studies that often involve self-reporting (notoriously bad) and the rapid advances in our understanding of what nutrients are actually doing in our bodies and it absolutely makes sense that we're living in a time of upheaval for these recommendations.

Give it 100-125 years and it'll balance out, but for now basing your purchases on any single study and hoping for the best is a terrible way to live life.

Also, drink Almond Milk anyway.

Isn't that shit kind of high in estrogen and bad for men long term or am I thinking of Soy milk?

entremet

I won't argue there, I hate the taste of most almond milks. I've found the only decent ones are the unsweetened vanilla options, and even those can get weird.

Soy is amazing though. A lot of the negativity towards Soy was created as a propaganda campaign by the panicked dairy industry. "Oh the Fido-Estrogen causes breast cancer in women and manboobs on men!" When standard dairy milk has regular estrogen, which does all the same shit only worse. I don't understand the negative stigma associated with Soy Milk. It tastes amazing.

Can't stand the taste of soy either.

Cow's milk is delicious.

I also try to stay away from industrialized soy products, which are everywhere. I don't mind traditional soy--like tofu.

dity

Can't stand the taste of soy either.

Cow's milk is delicious.

I also try to stay away from industrialized soy products, which are everywhere. I don't mind traditional soy--like tofu.

A vegetarian restaurant in town does soy-everything products. Soy chicken, soy beef, soy pork. Ended up absolutely loving it and basically being able to have anything on the menu. However soy milk still comes off as weird. It's truly a conundrum.

User 406

Banned
No Way to Figure Out What Macronutrient Balance Is the Right One, Say Gluttonous Sedentary Citizens of Only Country Where Widespread Obesity Happens

entremet

Well, i don't drink milk. But my son does. What should i give him?

Anything but skim. You need some fat to absorb the vitamins it's fortified with.

Whole or 2 percent. I find that 2 percent is the sweet spot for many, though. Whole may be too creamy for many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom