• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why a gay law professor is trying to shut down women-only ‘Wonder Woman’ screenings.

Yeah, this is my stance on it.

I get it and I think it is cool to have these screenings where women can be together and celebrate that this awesome, feminist icon is finally having her own movie but I do understand why some people are perturbed by it. I have similar feelings about that black feminist festival in Paris.

I think ideally, what you do is have female preferred screenings as opposed to female only screenings. You don't ban men but you make it clear that these showings are for women to celebrate and experience it. If some fucking MRA assholes waltz in there and start a fuss, you kick them the fuck out for being disruptive.

But in the end, I think the outrage over this is way overblown. And a lot of shitty people have said a lot of shitty stuff over a few screenings. Critique it, sure, but don't be a major dick about it.

Yeah, I agree with you. I feel perturbed by it too but I see where the thought comes from. Female-preferred screenings would achieve a similar purpose too, I feel.

Although it'd be whataboutism, I also wonder how many people would be OK with a few guys-only screenings for some other masculine characters' movies. Nothing like that comes to mind though.

ReiGun

So whats the difference between a womens only screening and a normal screening? Like, do the women have an extra event like a discussion or something? Im trying to imagine why it would make a difference to go to a normal screening and a womens only screening.

Is this the only screening in town? Is it on opening day and iconveniencing men?

There's no difference, far as we know. The women aren't getting any special perks, they're not seeing the movie early (the screening is on Tuesday). It isn't even the only screening happening in the theater that day.

The only difference is that the audience is entirely female. That's it.

Opto

Banned
Take Back the Night Marches give feminism a bad name.

Sororities gives feminism a bad name.

Women's Studies gives feminism a bad name.

Best Actress Awards gives feminism a bad name.

A bunch of manbabies are gonna show up and make complete asses out of themselves, aren't they?

If they do and they can't watch the movie in silence or disrupt the event, Alamo will kick them out. Like they do for any other regular screening of any movie ever.

I honestly doubt the kind of guys who would be upset about this would be able to find their courage when faced with an actual real life female majority crowd, though.

Yes you're misrembering, because they're essentially saying we'll accept your money, but you're still not allowed to this particular women's only showing.

Nope I was right
DA2MoNQWAAEaO9l.jpg

If they do and they can't watch the movie in silence or disrupt the event, Alamo will kick them out. Like they do for any other regular screening of any movie ever.

I honestly doubt the kind of guys who would be upset about this would be able to find their courage when faced with an actual real life female majority crowd, though.

You might be right about that.

Opto

Banned

Do not doubt the pettiness of some men. There is not a bar they will not lower

Nepenthe

The One and Done™;239155716 said:
Stop debating with a straw man.

What strawman am I arguing against? You're the one who brought up that feminism was getting a bad rap from this and I sarcastically pointed out why this was dumb.

A women's only screening is really stupid.

Which is why the screenings sold out and the Alamo is bathing in the attention.

What is the point?

Believe it or not, different film audiences create different experiences. I know, right? People are different, and that's actually okay! I know it might be weird for you to think that hype millenials in superhero movies make an experience more memorable than the same film with older people who respect theater etiquette more, or that perhaps it's understandable that I value the fact that I got to see Get Out with a majority black audience just delighted to see a film that reconciled both our racial reality with the desire to actually see ourselves as the main protagonists in horror films, but audience make up affects these kinds of experiences, and I have no doubt that I as a woman would be intrigued to see this film with mostly other women.

EDIT: Damn, that ban was fast.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its probably been said before but if this was some Amy Schumer comedy or the like getting a women's only screening even with a harsh or snide tone to the advertising that none of these dudes would even bat an eye. When its some nerd property though and they come out of the wood work like this is something worth fighting for. What a fucking joke.

spelen

I don't give a damn about this woman only screening. it doesn't bother me in any way , idc about the law in this instance either. this screening will be a non-story by next week.

Syriel

Do you know how many places charge a higher fee for dudes and a lesser/nonexistent one for ladies? Where is the outrage for that thing that's been happening for fucking years.

It's illegal in CA, and if you run across it and bother to file a claim, you'll win.

Pretty much. And it's still entirely possible to create and maintain a nominally segregated venue, if you want, but it's about ENCOURAGING your target audience to attend (and by extension, non-actively discouraging others) rather than just outright banning anyone who isn't them. One is marketing, the other is segregation.

Hits the nail on the head from a legal PoV.

Those bakeries don't say, "But at this counter right here we offer our wedding cakes for gay couples."

A few bakeries did say "you can go to this other bakery for your cake." They still, rightfully, lost in court.

"law professor" and yet the idiot cannot even research the basic facts about it, thinks it's a "rule" and that a woman cannot go there with their male gay friend, both false claims.

I fear for his students if he is teaching them this terribly.

According to the Alamo, that was the rule for these screenings. What were you saying about research and basic facts again?

Until someone actually challenges it legally and it actually goes somewhere (which is really doubtful that Alamo is gonna have any problems) I'm going to assume that the event is going to go off with a hitch and everyone other than sad, insecure petty men will move on with their lives and forget about it.

Yup. Unless there is a government agency tasked with following up on complaints, the only practical way to enforce a violation of civil law is through the courts. It may be illegal on the books, but if no one files suit, then there is no enforcement.

Clefargle

I'll make it simple, this is only a couple of steps from when businesses went:

"Whites only, blacks only"

And we decided a some time ago that shit was illegal and we don't desire to 'let the market' sort it out. I certainly get what Alamo is trying to do but I'm not going to sit here and pretend it isn't discrimination in some form.

Yup

I don't care about any men who got their feels hurt over this online. But the principle here is pretty important. Can't ban people from attending an event at a business for any reasons relating to gender, race, ethnicity, etc. I don't care if it "ruins" the female "atmosphere" for the screening. If a man sitting in the same room with you is that bothersome, don't go out in public.

Moppeh

Banned
Yeah, I agree with you. I feel perturbed by it too but I see where the thought comes from. Female-preferred screenings would achieve a similar purpose too, I feel.

Although it'd be whataboutism, I also wonder how many people would be OK with a few guys-only screenings for some other masculine characters' movies. Nothing like that comes to mind though.

I would personally be far less receptive to the idea of men's only screenings. I can't think of anything that would anywhere close to as monumental and justifiable for men as this is to women.

And as a dude, I personally have no interest in attending something like that. I feel like most of the people who would attend something like that would be MRAs and anti-social dudes.

Davidion

So I've been hearing about this but haven't examined the details up til now. Let me get this straight:

- There are other regular screenings of the film AT THE THEATER
- The women's only screening is one FUCKING NIGHT
- This professor is arguing principles but really just boiled it down to ONE LINE IN THE PROMOTIONAL COPY

This genius's bachelorette analogy crumples like paper; are gay bars not allowed to reserve sections for customers?

Are you people arguing that this is discrimination, on crack?

this_guy

Isn't it not discrimination if they make reasonable accommodations to serve everyone? So if there's one screening reserved just for women but 5+ other showings that men can attend then it's not discriminatory.

I'm not a lawyer but if someone can clarify that would be great.

Mik2121

What a hot mess you guys got over there...
Where I live they don't have any exclusive shit where men or women can't enter but still got a Ladies' Day where it's cheaper for women every Wednesday.
I'm not a fan of limiting entrance to this kind of stuff based on race or sex, specially since it usually just ends on people complaining anyway. Just say the show is meant for women and maybe give them a discount, but still let men in, if they really wanna go? They'll most likely not attend anyway unless they are going with some woman to see the movie together I'd guess.

Edit: didn't know they had more screenings even at the same theater. Ok, then the complaint becomes a bit extra sillier... (thought it was the only screening at each theater)

Dice//

Banned
Yup

I don't care about any men who got their feels hurt over this online. But the principle here is pretty important. Can't ban people from attending an event at a business for any reasons relating to gender, race, ethnicity, etc. I don't care if it "ruins" the female "atmosphere" for the screening. If a man sitting in the same room with you is that bothersome, don't go out in public.

It's a movie screening. It's 2 hours. We're not talking about erecting women's only safe zones because women feel predatory eyes on them and men seem to be absolutely desperate for women's company.

This is a mountain out of a molehill for sensitivity on an otherwise fun event and because women **finally** have a leading heroine to relate to amongst the HUNDREDS of male heroes who take the spotlight. This is an AMAZING attempt at disenfranchising women (more so) on a small ounce of fun they can get from something like this.

Fine if you want to argue the legality, I get it.
But as far as I can tell the surrounding context of this has very little ground and this only seems to offend people who still have TONS of options to still view this film. Are the people offended by this also the ones who got turned down from a kids club poster that said "NO BOYS ALLOWED"? Get a life, literally, this is a waste of everyone's time and energy in the grand scheme of things.

MUnited83

For you.
It's illegal in CA, and if you run across it and bother to file a claim, you'll win.

Hits the nail on the head from a legal PoV.

A few bakeries did say "you can go to this other bakery for your cake." They still, rightfully, lost in court.

According to the Alamo, that was the rule for these screenings. What were you saying about research and basic facts again?

Yup. Unless there is a government agency tasked with following up on complaints, the only practical way to enforce a violation of civil law is through the courts. It may be illegal on the books, but if no one files suit, then there is no enforcement.
It isn't a rule for any single of the other screenings. Dude says women cannot go with their male gay best friend to see the movie, which is just demonstably false.

Alamo has not broken a single law either, unless you can demonstrate they actually refused to sell a ticket to a man. Good luck with that!

If some theatre did a Male-Only show of the next Tarantino movie, one screen and one night only, would anyone actually give a shit? Like anybody?

Opto

Banned
Yup

Men can literally go see the movie at the same time, in the same place, just in a different theater.

But your last two lines show you don't really give a damn about women's experience in public, even for one specific, localized event.

Some of the most insufferable people I've ever come across were law professors, so this is completely unsurprising to me. Throw in that he is at one of the worst schools in the country with a Yale jd and yeah, I can see this guy out there trying to insert himself into made up controversies.

Oersted

We have that here all the time.

Noone has an issue with it.

Literally noone.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If some theatre did a Male-Only show of the next Tarantino movie, one screen and one night only, would anyone actually give a shit? Like anybody?
....yes? It would be a shitstorm? Probably an even bigger shotstorm?

Unbounded

I mean they put gay in the title it is obviously because it's the conflation that a minority identity give you credibility when talking shit about another minority identity.

This is nothing new. If he wasn't then the majority of posters here would dismiss him outright.

Hell, some already did because he's a white male.

Cipherr

That such an insignificant and small gesture bothers so many of these asshole tough guys cracks me up man.
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Talk about being "snowflakes", jesus christ. Im so happy this movie was a massive success this opening weekend. I can just FEEL the seething rage.

Did the theater try to actively ban men? Would it be a big deal if some men showed up to a showing that encouraged women to show up? Or is it assumed that men would dominate the showing anyway?

If people are just watching the movie and going home, I imagine a few men wouldnt be a big deal. Im trying to imagine a scenario where they could promote women without getting into a legal issue.

What happens if some unassuming man shows up for the show and has to be rejected because he's a man? It seems like it would cause a problem to be told you cant see the movie because it's "X only"

guggnichso

Banned

Twitter and GAF would have a meltdown, people would get doxxed, there would be death threats etc. You KNOW that, no reason to pretend otherwise.

Dice//

Banned
A bunch of men throwing a hissy fit over a largely male-dominated genre (hell in a largely male-dominated world) just shows bad taste.

Man up, men. Brush the petty squabble about this aside and let women have a day, nay, a screening.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the most insufferable people I've ever come across were law professors, so this is completely unsurprising to me. Throw in that he is at one of the worst schools in the country with a Yale jd and yeah, I can see this guy out there trying to insert himself into made up controversies.

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole.

reckless

So was it just an event marketed towards women or did Alamo actively refuse to sell tickets to men? That makes a big difference morally and legally.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Do women feel as entitled as white male nerds? On the Internet no less?
If you had a male-only screening of a film, it would become a feminist issue.

Are feminists or male nerds louder on the internet? Hmmm good question. They'd both raise a storm.

“There was a vibrant argument happening on Facebook,” Clark, 48, told The Washington Post. “But when the theater responded to complaints, they were pretty snide about it and willing to mock anyone who had a complaint and that really struck me.”

Being "snide" to fucking moronic manchildren, oh no! Sorry but these people are idiots and there's absolutely nothing wrong with these types of screenings. They're not exactly common or preventing anyone from seeing the film. The Alamo wouldn't be making fun of them if they weren't being babies about it in the first place and I think it's progressive having a strong film that maybe women can get into a bit more instead of all of these things being testosterone fueled endeavors, and having a few harmless screenings like this is a positive thing for the gender.

So let them have it.

Did the theater try to actively ban men? Would it be a big deal if some men showed up to a showing that encouraged women to show up? Or is it assumed that men would dominate the showing anyway?

If people are just watching the movie and going home, I imagine a few men wouldnt be a big deal. Im trying to imagine a scenario where they could promote women without getting into a legal issue.

What happens if some unassuming man shows up for the show and has to be rejected because he's a man? It seems like it would cause a problem to be told you cant see the movie because it's "X only"

Lol no, one knows anything because the event hasn't happened yet. But you can certainly buy a ticket online if you're a guy since some people did. And no unassuming guy is going to show up and be rejected, because the tickets (sold online weeks in advance) were all sold out for the event an hour after it went up.

Top Bottom