• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people down on Smart Glass?

Desty

Banned
Smart glass is just a reaction by Microsoft to the Wii-U tablet and whatever Apple's TV stuff is going to be. They don't have a plan for it. Just like Kinect was a reaction to motion controls. They didn't have a plan for that either.

If you want to bankrupt MS's game division, Nintendo and Sony just need to come out with more and more alternative devices and community web sites to lead MS off the path. MS will feel that it has to respond and spend however many millions to make a product to counter it but without a longer term strategy.

Also, Smart Glass can be cool if the resources are devoted to it but I would rather a game team focus on the main game rather than a companion app.

As others have said, this is useless as a games device but seems great for media.
It's just not practical to be playing a game and have a phone or tablet awkwardly balancing on your lap.
The reason the WiiU gamepad works is that the screen and the controls are both in your hands at the same time.

1-D_FTW

Smart glass is just a reaction by Microsoft to the Wii-U tablet and whatever Apple's TV stuff is going to be. They don't have a plan for it. Just like Kinect was a reaction to motion controls. They didn't have a plan for that either.

If you want to bankrupt MS's game division, Nintendo and Sony just need to come out with more and more alternative devices and community web sites to lead MS off the path. MS will feel that it has to respond and spend however many millions to make a product to counter it but without a longer term strategy.

Also, Smart Glass can be cool if the resources are devoted to it but I would rather a game team focus on the main game rather than a companion app.

I feel the exact opposite on this. I'm not a MS fan by any stretch, but it seems to me they're the one company who seems to understand the war for the tablet has been waged and settled. So rather than a futile attempt to beat them, they're just going to leveage them to complement their system.

I'm not saying it's going to succeed. And MS is horrible at devising visions for anything. So a betting man would probably be making a safe bet in saying it's going to fail and be abandoned. But it's is the most sensible plan that the Big 3 has devised for this reality. Don't compete. Join.

We are so close to the end of this cycle, most games will already be someway into development now that using smart glass may not be worth there time. I have a feeling this is going to see less support than the damn vision camera.

Obviously this functionality will be integrated in to the NextBox as well. If there is support we'll most likely see it more next gen.

Miles X

I think it's an amazing move by MS, stroke of genius even. What are consumers going to pick this holiday, a potential $149 360 with their existing iPad, or a $249/$299 WiiU with inferior tablet?

And before you talk about WiiU/tablet offering a vastly better gaming experience, shouldn't need to remind people about this whole ios vs handheld gaming saga.

MS already have an answer to WiiU out of the gate.

Lynn616

not really. DLNA would be a better comparison to Airplay. Windows 7 supports it and there are a lot of DLNA TVs and other devices out on the market. Have been for awhile now. (the xbox is finally getting it this fall, about time).

If I have a video on my iPhone will I be able to stream it to my Xbox with SmartGlass?

I think if anything, Smart Glass might only set the world on fire for standardizing the "second screen" idea with TV Shows/Movies, etc. AMC has done it in the past for Walking Dead, and the idea is a great way to enhance the experience. If Microsoft pushes companies to create Smart Glass content for their programming, we'd likely see that programming spread out to other devices.

I think it's an amazing move by MS, stroke of genius even. What are consumers going to pick this holiday, a potential $149 360 with their existing iPad, or a $249/$299 WiiU with inferior tablet?

And before you talk about WiiU/tablet offering a vastly better gaming experience, shouldn't need to remind people about this whole ios vs handheld gaming saga.

MS already have an answer to WiiU out of the gate.

People complained about trying to use Move with a dualshock in their left hand being unwieldy, I shudder to think what holding a 360 controller in your left hand an iPad in your right would be like to try and use.

Because that's what the WiiU offers for gaming; a controller and a touchscreen pretty much simultaneously.

Miles X

People complained about trying to use Move with a dualshock in their left hand being unwieldy, I shudder to think what holding a 360 controller in your left hand an iPad in your right would be like to try and use.

Because that's what the WiiU offers for gaming; a controller and a touchscreen pretty much simultaneously.

Few are going to use it for gaming, the pad will be an alternative for the controller when it comes to the entertainment stuff.

Few are going to use it for gaming, the pad will be an alternative for the controller when it comes to the entertainment stuff.

Few are going to use the WiiU for gaming, or few are going to use SmartGlass?

If the former, you're wrong, if the latter, you're right, but then by extension you are wrong in saying "MS have an answer for the WiiU out of the gate"

Miles X

Few are going to use the WiiU for gaming, or few are going to use SmartGlass?

If the former, you're wrong, if the latter, you're right, but then by extension you are wrong in saying "MS have an answer for the WiiU out of the gate"

Smartglass and gaming, I'm sure MS will tout some gaming capabilities, but that isn't going to entice the casuals anyway.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm down on it because:

-As a gaming peripheral I don't see how you could use both it and traditional controls in a non-awkward way, so its only good for pure asynchronous style gameplay which is a limiting restriction.

-As a media peripheral I hate what it represents. Stump said it better then me.

King_Moc

Banned
It's a half-assed reaction that only works over the web, so will not have the required infrastructure to compete with the biggest draw that the Wii U Gamepad has.

Do i want an interactive map while watching Game of Thrones? No. I want to watch the fucking show.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
You sure about that? Sucks if so. If I have a video on my phone no DRM it will not stream?
yes it will not work with non-marketplace content. You would need to use a DLNA solution to do that. (DLNA in Windows = Play To) All smartglass does with media is tell the device what content you are watching and where you are at. The recieving device uses that info to bring down the video from the marketplace. Videos are not streaming between those devices.

rpmurphy

I'm still confused about what SmartGlass is. Does it offer the full Xbox 360 OS experience on the supported devices, or is it only active for a certain number of apps and software that are specifically designed to support SmartGlass?

Lynn616

yes it will not work with non-marketplace content. You would need to use a DLNA solution to do that. (DLNA in Windows = Play To) All smartglass does with media is tell the device what content you are watching and where you are at. The recieving device uses that info to bring down the video from the marketplace. Videos are not streaming between those devices.

Sucks. I will keep using Airplay to my Apple TV then. Was hoping for one device to do it all.

well like others have said there are apps in iOS that are DLNA applications in the marketplace and once Xbox supports it then it should work fine.

Thanks.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Sucks. I will keep using Airplay to my Apple TV then. Was hoping for one device to do it all.
well like others have said there are apps in iOS that are DLNA applications in the marketplace and once Xbox supports it then it should work fine.

border

SmartGlass is a solution in search of a problem.

Every ability they showcase is something you'd rarely or never want to do anyway. It's irritating to see people call it an answer to the WiiU when it has like 10% of the Upad's functionality. Game applications for it are few and far between, and the media stuff seems mostly like impractical parlor tricks.

I think it will be a nice way to input text without having to buy the dumb keyboard accessory, assuming it is deeply integrated into the OS and doesn't require every app to specifically support it. Beyond that I don't see much promise.

Tyrax

Let me try re-wording that:
SmartGlass is a solution of a problem in search

Browsing content on a device with metro touch input and a faster virtual keyboard to search will be miles ahead of where xbox, playstation, wii, any other set top box is at right now.

Being more accurate with capacitive touch screens for gestures and multitouch puts it ahead of the wii

Working with phones and tablets that people already own rather than requiring them to buy another $249 device put it ahead of the ps3/vita

For gaming: I'd rather search though my Skyrim inventory on that device than go through the onscreen UI.

If I have a video on my iPhone will I be able to stream it to my Xbox with SmartGlass?
Don't think so. Ms said that smartglass will be offered as a feature in the companions apps for Win8, Wp7/8 (which does have that funcionality) but for other devices it's going to be a standalone app.

jagowar

I forget where I heard it (I think it was windows weekly), they said play to currently only works with marketplace content but that will be changing.

Ms themselves said the airplay like stuff will be coming to win8/wp8 but will not be part of the smartglass app.... as said earlier will be called play to and is based off dlna....

Video of it in action in the video they posted Friday (in said video they say the fall update is required for playto functionality).... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/06/08/building-a-rich-and-extensible-media-platform.aspx

Big-E

This, to me, is a pretty profoundly negative thing. It speaks to both the declining attention span of basically everyone, which bodes poorly for rich, intellectually stimulating content and better for loud, whiz-bang content--and it speaks to the time-wasting power of a tech loop. Gotta check a news site, okay gotta check facebook, oh wait I wonder if the news site updated, okay I got a message on Facebook, let's check sports scores, oh I wonder if someone replied to the message I sent back on facebook, oh man car crash story posted to news site, lol just got an sms *switches to phone*, etc. Portlandia did a skit skewering this. There's also the idea of multiple people who have so little social grace, they can't even WATCH TV together without being distracted by their own personal stuff.

Nintendo basically acknowledged these phenomena and then announced "We want to fight back against them by making a device that unites people, and uses the tablet form factor to draw you back into what's on the TV, rather than distract you."

And MS acknowledged these phenomena and basically said "LOL You Playing a Game? Why don't you interrupt your game by checking your tablet? Watching a TV show? Making sure you read the wikipedia article on it at the same time. Don't pay attention to any one thing."

I didn't think the Wii U demos were particularly good, but I am definitely down on Smart Glass.

Good post but I am excited for smart glass in terms of watching sports as others have mentioned. Viewing sports on TV always has downtime so if I can watch the last awesome play again or read about some player who just did something amazing that is pretty cool and keeps me informed. This doesn't really work with normal TV programming and it really doesn't work too well with gaming. I agree that people don't pay attention to anything anymore is true but a sports broadcast already does things to distract you in downtime, having more relevant stuff put to your tablet seems like a pretty cool solution.

This, to me, is a pretty profoundly negative thing. It speaks to both the declining attention span of basically everyone, which bodes poorly for rich, intellectually stimulating content and better for loud, whiz-bang content--and it speaks to the time-wasting power of a tech loop. Gotta check a news site, okay gotta check facebook, oh wait I wonder if the news site updated, okay I got a message on Facebook, let's check sports scores, oh I wonder if someone replied to the message I sent back on facebook, oh man car crash story posted to news site, lol just got an sms *switches to phone*, etc. Portlandia did a skit skewering this. There's also the idea of multiple people who have so little social grace, they can't even WATCH TV together without being distracted by their own personal stuff.

Nintendo basically acknowledged these phenomena and then announced "We want to fight back against them by making a device that unites people, and uses the tablet form factor to draw you back into what's on the TV, rather than distract you."

And MS acknowledged these phenomena and basically said "LOL You Playing a Game? Why don't you interrupt your game by checking your tablet? Watching a TV show? Making sure you read the wikipedia article on it at the same time. Don't pay attention to any one thing."

I didn't think the Wii U demos were particularly good, but I am definitely down on Smart Glass.

I think this is short-sighted. The scenarios you've mentioned aren't that compelling to be sure, but you're not considering that this is a *platform* that devs will build upon and there are scenarios (yet to be imagined/created) that are now possible that are way more compelling.

In the video I linked to earlier, you can see how useful it would be to be able to know "who's on screen" in a movie at any given time. It's no different than watching a DVD with the commentary enabled. You've already seen the movie, so why not get some more in depth info about it the second time around?

For games, imagine a second co-op player on the tablet while you play the primary portion of the game on the TV. For an FPS, you could be the tactical while they could be the strategist.

The point is, virtually *anything* is possible (much like WiiU) and it's up to the devs to use their imagination to come up with the cool ideas. MS is just showing some examples of what is possble, likely just stuff that was easy to make demos for in a short period of time.

border

Browsing content on a device with metro touch input and a faster virtual keyboard to search will be miles ahead of where xbox, playstation, wii, any other set top box is at
Reminds me of how 2 years ago everybody thought we'd be navigating the 360 with Kinect's motion and voice controls. Yet here we are 24 months later looking for yet another convoluted input method.

Is speed of navigation really an issue with a controller or a remote? The only thing that will get noticeably faster is text input. Beyond that we're talking about a remote control that will have to be activated every time you pick it up. Set it down, it goes to sleep, then to use it again you hit the unlock button, then slide to unlock, then pause for a second while the Wifi connection is re-established. For basic navigation I'd rather have an always-on IR remote as opposed to one that requires several gestures just to awaken.

For gaming: I'd rather search though my Skyrim inventory on that device than go through the onscreen UI.

Inventory management in an RPG is just an incredibly niche application of the tech.

Eusis

I think this is short-sighted. The scenarios you've mentioned aren't that compelling to be sure, but you're not considering that this is a *platform* that devs will build upon and there are scenarios (yet to be imagined/created) that are now possible that are way more compelling.
Then it's a problem with their pitch, because stripping away EXACTLY how it was sold at E3 and I could see serious potential here, especially since it'll force developers to not neglect proper Wii U support on multiplatform titles (Sony I imagine will either put out a similar app or have Vita fill the role). However, the way they pitched it made it seem like pandering to people who absolutely must use their tablet/smartphone all the time, rather than just using it to better plan plays in Madden, more easily browse inventories in an RPG, or possibly even (this idea wasn't thrown at E3 but is an idea that just came to mind) treat it similar to something like Dark Souls with community tips provided on that screen for where you're at. There is some real potential here, I just hate how they pitched it being a reminder of how obsessed people can get with their gadgets for constant stimuli and not just focus on what the hell's in front of you.

evangd007

Every ability they showcase is something you'd rarely or never want to do anyway. It's irritating to see people call it an answer to the WiiU when it has like 10% of the Upad's functionality. Game applications for it are few and far between, and the media stuff seems mostly like impractical parlor tricks.

I think it will be a nice way to input text without having to buy the dumb keyboard accessory, assuming it is deeply integrated into the OS and doesn't require every app to specifically support it. Beyond that I don't see much promise.

Amen. The whole thing reminds me of Kinect: it was conceived as a product before it was conceived of as a useful device. Game application seems asinine. The fact that I'd have to juggle a controller and a tablet absolutely kills it.

Bgamer90

Banned
Since Rayman Legends has multiple items you can interact with on screen at the same time the game would have to be changed to work with smart glass, because it would need to predict what you are trying to affect. With Wii U you affect what you are touching.

Smart glass would work better with ZombiU because you are interacting with items instead of trying to help out in a fast pace platformer.

Good points.

In terms of Rayman, maybe have they can let the user choose what item(s) they want to control in a level before starting the level. If it's more than one, have the user be able to scroll through different items on their smartglass device... maybe make the item that they need to use be the only one that's shown and have the other items be faded or blackened out so that it doesn't get confusing.

im interested in seeing possibly synergy between smart glass and windows 8. With some integrated functionality, with the os and the app, it could be really cool

Bgamer90

Banned

While I agree that it doesn't do everything that the Wii U tablet is able to do... only 10%? Really? I wouldn't say that especially when you are basing things on the really basic/obvious features that they showed. On top of that it takes some steam away from the Wii U since I don't need to buy a tablet and/or system to have similar features in my games (even if they may not be as in depth). For example, in a game like Madden, the game will more than likely let users create plays and/or pick plays with the wii U tablet. That can transfer over pretty well to a smartphone or tablet. So if a user that's a big Madden fan was thinking about getting a Wii U to have that functionality, smartglass would more than likely make them second guess, especially since it would more than likely be cheaper for them to use the feature (assuming that they already have a smarthphone or tablet).

We'll see.

I'm already pumped to hear that Watch_Dogs will use it (since the game looks great already).

Reminds me of how 2 years ago everybody thought we'd be navigating the 360 with Kinect's motion and voice controls. Yet here we are 24 months later looking for yet another convoluted input method.

I actually do navigate the 360 dashboard via voice control and use voice control when watching media on the 360.

Also, in terms of smartglass, I don't really care how it will work with the dashboard. I'm more so interested in seeing how it will create co-op features in games, how it will let me connect to my games when I'm away from my console, how it will help reduce time going through menus in the UI of games, and how (or if) it will give me in depth real-time content when I watch sporting events on the xbox.

Bgamer90

Banned
Amen. The whole thing reminds me of Kinect: it was conceived as a product before it was conceived of as a useful device. Game application seems asinine. The fact that I'd have to juggle a controller and a tablet absolutely kills it.

Again, I think people are going overboard in terms of "juggling". Pretty sure that most game makers that decide to use it will know not to have it so that people will have to go back and forth from their smartglass device to their controller during actual gameplay.

border

While I agree that it doesn't do everything that the Wii U tablet is able to do... only 10%? Really? I wouldn't say that especially when you are basing things on the really basic/obvious features that they showed.
Considering the way Kinect worked out, I wouldn't expect functionality to be expanded greatly beyond what they have already shown. I don't expect it to be anything like the UPad where you can play a real, complete 3D game in real time, on a video feed beamed to the pad. There already seems to be a little lag just using the pad to navigate on a map. Whether or not the UPad has 90% more functionality or 70% more functionality is perhaps splitting hairs -- the point is that, as of now, it does a whole lot more than SmartGlass.
For example, in a game like Madden, the game will more than likely let users create plays and/or pick plays with the wii U tablet. That can transfer over pretty well to a smartphone or tablet.
Why would you switch over to the tablet to pick a play, then switch back to a controller to run the play? There's already a way to secretly pick your play in local multiplayer, and for single player and online multiplayer there's no need to hide your play choice.

Designing plays on the fly would be a new option, but probably one of limited appeal. How many Madden players use custom plays that often?

I actually do navigate the 360 dashboard via voice control and use voice control when watching media on the dashboard
That's fine, but the remote/controller still ended up being the better navigation option, since a button press or two is faster than saying "Xbox", waiting for words to highlight, speakig your selection, and then waiting the moment it takes for the system to recognize your words.

3phemeral

I wasn't able to read every single post in this thread, but I'm seriously doubtful about the extent in which SmartGlass can be used concerning full-blown interactivity with the game. Menu/Map/Stats will probably be 90% of the implementation, but even with that kinect demo with two additional players controlling the dodge balls, it came off super laggy.

This in conjunction with consistency of internet connection and internet speed, there's no direct communication from the console to the peripheral device, so that should severely limit the amount of data streamed. I'm sure response time will improve, but that presentation with just the map loading took longer than I would be willing to accept is tolerable.

Bgamer90

Banned
Why would you switch over to the tablet to pick a play, then switch back to a controller to run the play? There's already a way to secretly pick your play in local multiplayer...

Not fully.

...and for single player and online multiplayer there's no need to hide your play choice.

Of course. The example was (obviously) for head to head offline play.

Designing plays on the fly would be a new option, but probably one of limited appeal. How many Madden players use custom plays that often?

It was a feature in previous maddens and it seems like it will be making a comeback for the wii U and Smartglass based on what I've seen & heard.

That's fine, but the remote/controller still ended up being the better navigation option, since a button press or two is faster than saying "Xbox", waiting for words to highlight, speakig your selection, and then waiting the moment it takes for the system to recognize your words.

Not really that cut and dry. There are positives and negatives. Voice is much better for searching items (in comparison to having to scroll down a lot or enter in a title/name) or for when the controller shuts off by itself when watching media (since you can just say whatever you want the media playing to do instead of having to wait for the controller to turn back on and then do it).

It's a gimmick plain and simple

Easy to say about anything new that's different from the norm.

Raistlin

wtf? The core SmartGlass features are a combination of things they already offered before Wii U even existed. The main selling point here is that it's all under one umbrella, has a robust API for devs, and will be available on all major smartphone/tablet OS's.

Is SmartGlass the new Kinect?

Microsoft's SmartGlass initiative aims to enrich the entertainment offerings on Xbox with an informative, context-sensitive "surface," spread across compatible tablets and smartphones. Phil Spencer, Corporate VP of Microsoft Studios, tells me you can expect SmartGlass support from all of the company's games after the feature becomes available this fall.

"It just makes so much sense for a developer who wants to supply, maybe not time-critical information, like 'that enemy is getting ready to shoot you,' but information that augments what's happening on screen," Spencer says. He used last year's Halo Waypoint Atlas app, which offered multiplayer GPS tracking, as an example of how SmartGlass features could share additional game information without hampering the moment-to-moment gameplay. "And then you're even going to see situations like with Ascend, where there's actually gameplay that happens on the phone, even when you're away from your television and that interacts back with the online game that's happening. So I think you'll see information sharing, context sharing while you're in the room, with video and with games, as well as gameplay happening in more distributed environments."
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/09/expect-smartglass-support-in-every-microsoft-studios-game-going/

Gaspode_T

SmartGlass is something that would never happen without Don Mattrick, not many executives would greenlight something running on iOS and Android but he is one of them...he is Canadian, so that is where part of it is coming from! "Let us all be friends, drink tea and eat maple cookies while we take your moneys from your Netflix viewing experience."

The fact that there is a big thread about Wii U netflix support and it is somehow thought of as a radically different thing that SmartGlass blows my mind...it is all about tech converging, access to data...Google is making freaking goggles with a HUD for crying out loud.

JaggedSac

MS should have APIs that expose data to SmartGlass that third party app developers can write applications against. For example, an RPG developer could expose inventory data across a SmartGlass pipe and that is all they do. Maybe an app developer(you, me, anybody) could create an app that used this data somehow. Perhaps a recipe app that would show you what things you can create based on what inventory you have or what quests you can complete based on that.

Perhaps a first person shooter that exposes match data after a match is over. An app developer could use this information to provide more detailed aggregate statistics for players. Some heat maps or suggestions of strategies.

Basically, just have game devs provide simple data, and let app developers create apps based on that data. This would probably place less burden on game devs and would make it more likely they throw stuff in there for SmartGlass. Then let the community come up with cool stuff for it.

border

Not really that cut and dry. There are positives and negatives. Voice is much better for searching items (in comparison to having to scroll down a lot or enter in a title/name) or for when the controller shuts off by itself when watching media (since you can just say whatever you want the media playing to do instead of having to wait for the controller to turn back on and then do it).

Search is where voice comes in handy. Too bad none of the apps actually seem to support voice search.

I'd think scrolling through lists is not particularly great with voice control. A long Netflix queue would just have you saying "Next" again and again and again. I can't imagine it's very precise for rewind/fast-forward either.

My experience with Kinect was that we used motion controls for menus for like a day, voice controls for about a week, and went back to the remote after that. I'll still use voice if I need to pause and can't find the remote or something like that though.

An IR remote solves the problem of the controller shutting off during media playback. Always on, and near infinite battery life. Introducing a tablet once again returns you to having to wait every time your remote control "wakes up".

lucius

I have 3 iOS devices that I would love to be able to use with 360 and games, I am skeptical how well it will be implemented in the end. I hope it turns out great I don't expect it to be as useful as Wii U and the gamepad. But it is positive that maybe Next Box will have this built in better into system. It would be funny if it did end up working really well on 360 and we got same features as many 3rd party Wii U games on it.

Top Bottom