• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are people down on Smart Glass?

mbmonk

I'm not big on the idea of SmartGlass for gaming.
I LOVE the idea of SmartGlass for other forms of entertainment.

Specifically...

Live sports - I want to have stats show up of certain players seamlessly after big plays, being able to select from multiple camera angles right on my tablet and to fling them over to my television to switch shots.

If someone is up to bat, I want to see streaks, his batting average, what he did last time he faced that pitcher, etc.

If I'm watching a NASCAR event, I want to see a seamlessly updating grid of all the racers from overhead and being able to switch to dozens of car cams or to listen in to their pit crews.

If I'm watching the NFL, I want to see the play that was last called, check out replays at an instant or switch between games on my TV just by tapping them off a score grid.

I also love the application for other types of programming like reality TV (switching between multiple Big Brother cams would be easier this way than through my laptop), award shows and the news.

Could care less about SmartGlass application with gaming as of right now.

Really cool ideas. Though I doubt NFL coaching staffs are going to let their playcalls be made public right after the play is finished. It might put them in a strategic disadvantage. :)

Eusis

So whats with all the negativity?
To be honest, I really only hate how they sold the thing. Right off the bat they spin it not simply as a way to augment games, but so your tablet and phones don't have to lay idle while you play your games, as if you absolutely had to make use of all gadgets all the time, made worse because it honestly does seem as if a lot of people may feel that way with how much they play with their phones. Torn from that presentation and looked at objectively however it's just fine: you can look up information on TV shows if you happened to accidentally lose track of something, get confused, or wanted a refresher on each character was one that may not have stuck out much in your mind suddenly did something noteworthy (or you took a hiatus from a serial series and need a refresher), and similar applies to games along with the potential touch pad options that might be really good for some games, like inventory management in an RPG.

Some might also be angry about imitating Wii U, but this is undoubtedly scaled back from what that could do, but retains some of the core aspects of why that tablet control could prove to be very useful.

EDIT: Oh, looking over prior posts shows me one person better hit why it bothered me:
I f you know why the Trey Parker's joke was funny, you know why people are down on SmartGlass.

It's because it's a huge embracing and endorsement of the ridiculous amount of screen-based overstimulation we suffer from nowadays with the ubiquity of net-connected smart devices. Doesn't anyone want to just sit the fuck down and watch the goddamned episode of Game of Thrones?

Donnie

I think Smartglass is really a smart (sorry) idea. It basically takes the best of Wii U, but makes it device agnostic. It'd be superb to have my inventory, radar, map, IR vision etc. on my phone or tablet while I play. One with a quality screen and non-clunky form factor.

Whether it's a success boils down to a few things

- will they cater also iOS and Android? For devs to use it, it will need to have a broad installed base. WP is amazing, but many people haven't even heard of it.

- will they have a simple transparent API and UI framework? One that takes the content and intelligently scales it to different screen sizes, resolutions and aspect ratios. This is by far the most laborous task, but will pay back handsomely.

- will the phone/tablet stay on without going to sleep all the time? And will it be super fast / automatic to start Smartglass? Removing annoyance is a key thing

Overall, it could really undo Wii U competitive advantage.

Having a tablet next to you with inventory ect on it which you have to put your controller down to use is far more clunky. Its also not capable of doing a lot of the things you can do with the WiiU controller, like rendering different views of the game on the controller.

LQX

It did not pike my interest buy I actually trust MS to come through on their claims based on how XBox.com works so fluidly with the 360 console it self.

The control you have over your 360 via the web is a very underrated feature of the 360.

freddy

Banned
It will appeal to people who like to show off gadgets and cool informative stuff. The kind of people you have to tell to just chill and enjoy the show.

Donnie

And if it enables devs to port easier between WiiU and 360, using SG as an substitute for the WiiU controller screen?

I think any attempt to use it as a replacement for the WiiU controller in a WiiU port will lead to a poor experience. On one side you have a controller with sticks, buttons and touch screen all in one, everything accessible at the same time. On the other side you have a controller with sticks and buttons AND another separate touch screen controller with no buttons/sticks, you need to put one down to access the other. Maybe if you sit there holding your controller with the tablet on your knees and use your chin to access the touch screen you can make it work in a similar way, but it wouldn't work well :D Smart Glass is useful for some of the social aspects that WiiU can bring, and in a limited way for gaming (making it easier to enter custom stuff info the game like plays in an American Football game or drawing stuff ect) but not for most aspects of gaming IMO.

Raide

What? They showed off Smart Glass functionality in Halo 4 at the conference.

That was the Waypoint stuff right? I was more thinking of some actual use of the SmartGlass that is bound to the game. Like what the Wii-U is trying to do with inventories/maps etc. The YouTube link earlier shows some map usage, which is pretty cool. Makes me think of WoW and having a Raid Guide to help people through encounters. :D

nel e nel

I wouldn't say I'm down on it, but I usually have my laptop open to IMDB/wikipedia whenever I'm watching a movie or series to look up stuff on my own already.

sangreal

I thought the feature to display info about the actors on the screen was pretty neat. My girl and I are constantly on our phones/tablets checking IMDB on lazy movie days. Considered making a thread about smart glass, actually. The trackpad feature is nice too, especially for web browsing on IE (not that I'm likely to use the browser).

I already prefer watching HBO shows in a similar manner (HBO Go). If I could watch the show on my TV and get the sidebar features on my tablet/phone that would be ace

When a developer like Peter Molyduex is questioning the need for your tech, you know you done goofed.

Peter M. is also the same guy saying traditional methods of gaming are boring and that he could never again develop a game using such method and that kinect is the future and what gamers really want in games....

MisterHero

The support will be there but MS will have to pay for it.

After what they showed for Kinect I doubt anyone really wants to develop for it in the longrun, as a secondary game device. Why did it have to have the Xbox brand again?

MajorPain

Are you actually serious?

YES!

This smartglass took up most of there conference they did not show any new franchises that interest me. The tech looks cool but I would not use it in anyway to control my games just give me my controller with buttons and analog sticks I can feel.

E3 is suppose to be the biggest gaming conference in the industry and Microsoft is changing that. They even threw in at the end of the conference some crap about Windows 8 I don't care. Also if I want to go on the internet I will go on my computer.

mbmonk

It can't be a real substitute though and any attempt to use it like that will lead to a poor experience. You have a controller with sticks, buttons and touch screen in one vs a controller with sticks and buttons AND another separate touch screen controller with no buttons/sticks. Maybe if you sit there holding your controller with the tablet on your knees and use your chin to access the touch screen you can make it work in a similar way, but you'd look like a right idiot :D Smart Glass is useful for some of the social aspects that WiiU can bring, but not for the gaming stuff.

Also how would developers handle that SG runs on smart phones as well as tablets. The size of smartphone displays are going to be smaller in size than a tablet. So either the devs have to shrink down the touch interface to fit on a phone. Or disable the use of phones and only support tablets ( who's displays sizes vary as well. ). Am I over-thinking this?

Maybe it sets up the software platform the for Xbox 720, but I am not sure it will be extremely useful for WiiU-> 360 ports.

nel e nel

YES!

This smartglass took up most of there conference they did not show any new franchises that interest me. The tech looks cool but I would not use it in anyway to control my games just give me my controller with buttons and analog sticks I can feel.

E3 is suppose to be the biggest gaming conference in the industry and Microsoft is changing that. They even threw in at the end of the conference some crap about Windows 8 I don't care. Also if I want to go on the internet I will go on my computer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the Electronic Entertainment Expo, not the Gaming Expo. There are lots of non-video game forms of electronic entertainment, no?

sangreal

Also how would developers handle that SG runs on smart phones as well as tablets. The size of smartphone displays are going to be smaller in size than a tablet. So either the devs have to shrink down the touch interface to fit on a phone. Or disable the use of phones and only support tablets ( who's displays sizes vary as well. ). Am I over-thinking this?

Maybe it sets up the software platform the for Xbox 720, but I am not sure it will be extremely useful for wiiU-> 360 ports.

you're over thinking it. resolution matters more than display size. developers similarly dont care if you play on a 15" LCD or 60"

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the Electronic Entertainment Expo, not the Gaming Expo. There are lots of non-video game forms of electronic entertainment, no?

You're not wrong, and people forget the fuck out of this.

Dabanton

YES!

Then what does intrest you? I hear this complaint and people never say exactly what it is they're looking for.

I see plenty of games for this year for the 360 that I'm interested in getting both first and third party.

sangreal

Its also not capable of doing a lot of the things you can do with the WiiU controller, like rendering different views of the game on the controller.

Not sure what you mean by this. They demonstrated a 3rd person game which on the smart glass phone was rendered as an overhead live map. While that's a boring example, how is it different than rendering any other different view?

nel e nel

You're not wrong, and people forget the fuck out of this.

I was listening to the Joystiq podcast over the weekend, and they did this fun little Q&A where a couple of the team who had never been to E3 asked one of the older writers questions on what to expect. One of the topics they touched on was all the non video game stuff that never makes it to the site, and just how much of it there was. I'd really like to see more of the off-the-wall peripherals and other stuff that is on offer there. Where can one find this stuff?Engadget? Gizmodo?

I think that project Smart Glass looks awesome. It's the only addition to the 360 that I'm interested in. I doubt it'll launch with great awesome features, but at least MS is being honest about it... In the Verge interview, the guy did not say it had anything that it won't have, unlike when Kinect/Natal was revealed and it promised all of this stuff that was never ever feasible.

According to Engadget's time stamps Smart Glass took up 15 minutes of the ~two hours.

I'm curious why anyone would think that Smart Glass is meant to perform primary gaming tasks when almost everything about it would imply secondary tasks, like a map, server browser, clan/team chat window, or fluff (like in AC2 with the history of landmarks) due to the cross-platform compatibility.

I'd also like to live in this magic world where everything I watch is Game of Thrones-quality TV, and I'm never forced to watch Criminal Minds, Real Housewives of <City>, or any other show/movie that doesn't need my undivided attention yet still requires some attention so that I can interact with my partner.
I was listening to the Joystiq podcast over the weekend, and they did this fun little Q&A where a couple of the team who had never been to E3 asked one of the older writers questions on what to expect. One of the topics they touched on was all the non video game stuff that never makes it to the site, and just how much of it there was. I'd really like to see more of the off-the-wall peripherals and other stuff that is on offer there. Where can one find this stuff?Engadget? Gizmodo?
I don't know if E3 still has this but articles used to pop up about a week after the show covering the "Kentia Hall", which was the dumping ground for vendors with few funds (and where a lot of meetings would be held). Mostly it would be companies that do packaging or disc pressing or whatnot but you'd also get some really baffling stuff like obviously misguided stabs at VR or, my personal all-time favorite memory, a hunting game with a plastic rifle (this is before these were common) that had a d-pad for walking around as you hunted violent animals in a Build engine level. Eagles would attack your face in waves.

MajorPain

Then what does intrest you? I hear this complaint and people never say exactly what it is they're looking for.

I see plenty of games for this year for the 360 that I'm interested in getting both first and third party.

I want to see games esspecially new franchises geared towards the hardcore gamer. I don't care as much about the gimmicks (smartglass) type stuff although it may be cool I want more games.

Also I don't want a new halo or call of duty every year as much as I love these games I would like to see some new franchises.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I'm not excited but i'm most certainly not down on it.

As a sports gamer. I'd welcome a tablet in my lap that I could make subs on, change formations, call for highly specific off ball runs/cuts, and set other team strategy settings.

These are things that require me to pause the game and dig through menus or use some kind of uncomfortable/inefficient control scheme to use.

Gorki247

Serious question. Why do people think that something like Rayman WiiU would not be possible on Smartglass?

MS have already shown off a similar concept using Kinect Adventures and WP7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHJOeqir56I

The user on the phone can see the game as it appears on the TV and interact with it, helping or hindering the main player.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I forgot about the madden demo, plus the IE demo. So you can also have some input going back to the 360.

Assuming most devs will only use the wiiU gamepad as a mini map or similar, this could easily duplicate that.

Raide

Serious question. Why do people think that something like Rayman WiiU would not be possible on Smartglass?

MS have already shown off a similar concept using Kinect Adventures and WP7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHJOeqir56I

The user on the phone can see the game as it appears on the TV and interact with it, helping or hindering the main player.

Maybe its down to the fact "If SmartGlass can do that, it makes the Wii-U seem slightly redundant." Don't discount MS. They keep coming up with crazy stuff and they have enough cash to pump into it to make it work. Kinect is the prime example. While not massive, it made them some solid money. SmartGlass is a free App, so how that pans out will be interesting.

RSLAEV

Because it's an interesting concept that won't be properly supported-it's a waste of resources like Move and Kinect.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
Because it's an interesting concept that won't be properly supported-it's a waste of resources like Move and Kinect.

Not quite the same to me, most people already have a device that works with SG, they don't have to go out and buy anything extra.

U2NUMB

I am excited for the potential. I can see a company like Bethesda outputting an update for smart glass and Skyrim ..

Say on your tablet or phone you have the map of Skyim.. without having to open the menu you could tap anywhere on it to fast travel and it just goes.. There is something very cool to having your device in real time interact with the game. Is it essential? Hell no... but potentially very cool!

Best part about it is that it requires nothing new to buy so I am all for devs being creative with it.

It has potential to be massive. I guess this, like Kinect, is another concept that is being tested for next-gen on the 360.

Bgamer90

Banned
Say on your tablet or phone you have the map of Skyim.. without having to open the menu you could tap anywhere on it to fast travel and it just goes.. There is something very cool to having your device in real time interact with the game.

Another cool idea.

Someone should make a "smartglass brainstorming" thread. :)

MajorPain

See what you wrote there? That's in addition to games. K thanx bye.

Taken from wikipedia:

The phrase interactive entertainment[1] also known as video games refers to the business of producing and distributing products and services, or the products and services, of which the entertainment value (or outcomes) can be influenced by users through direct feedback.

The Link

jagowar

The verge also put up a better demo.... http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/7/3069364/xbox-360-ie9-smartglass-video-preview-e3

In this one you get a much better sense of how the interaction happens and the guy demoing had alot more knowledge about how it will work and what kind of things they are planning.... also interesting to show how the app scaled down between tablet and phone and how they can customize the experience for phone and tablet separately.

I know this won't happen with launch but I would be excited if there was a remoteplay like feature to it (but instead of needing vita+ps3 it would be my phone/tablet). Where we could do "boring" things remotely in a mobile experience and have that transfer back to the real game..... getting gold in fable, scanning planets in mass effect, customizing cars in forza, etc. Take the things out of games that make them mundane and let me do it from my phone/tablet and when I am away from my house.

Donnie

you're over thinking it. resolution matters more than display size. developers similarly dont care if you play on a 15" LCD or 60"

A 15" screen is one thing, a 3" or 4" screen is another. Designing a game on that kind of screen requires certain concessions or they can become unusable. Say you put a map and various overlays on the tablet. Those might be perfectly accessible on a 10" screen and maybe even a 7", but take it down to 3" or so and things will get very cluttered/compressed. Perhaps they could make it configurable so you can choose what's on the second screen to avoid this kind of thing, but its not ideal having so many varying screen sizes.

Not sure what you mean by this. They demonstrated a 3rd person game which on the smart glass phone was rendered as an overhead live map. While that's a boring example, how is it different than rendering any other different view?

Are you talking about the game in this video?

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/7/3069364/xbox-360-ie9-smartglass-video-preview-e3

Because that's just a simple 2D map of the dungeon that's been downloaded onto the phone with the players position being updated every second or so. What I'm talking about is the ability to show a different full detail 3D view of a game your playing on the console at 30/60fps.

StevieP

Banned

There is a delay on Wi-Fi with TCP/IP overhead. Wii U is using multiple streaming technologies to do it lag-free at 60hz (or 30hz with 2 tablets).

a.wd

I don't understand why people aren't more crazy about this as an accessory, as a way of interacting with other media, hell as a way of accessing the browser?

They are cross platform, cross technology just awesome and if they get it right they would be able to use it as a real interactive platform...sounds freaking awesome...

Here's another hands on video with a bit more info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-kzJV9MxWYs#

Another thing to think about: The person using the SG device doesn't have to be the same as the person playing on the console. You could have your friend playing along with you helping you in god knows how many ways depending on the game.

Also: Who said the device had to be in the same room, city, country as the person playing on the console? Imagine playing alongside a family member or friend remotely. You don't necessarily need to see what's on the console screen. Think about it.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't know if many of you guys are Disney fans, but Disney's already started doing this with their Blu-rays with a feature called "Second Screen". I tried it and it's dumb as hell. You can't concentrate on the movie at all. I can't see this being interesting to anyone other than people who have ADD.

But yeah people calling this innovative, it isn't.

I'm not down on the idea, but if they start skimping out on some parts of the game because using a tablet/smartphone/toaster will give the best experience, I'm going to flip my lid. I don't want to have to use my smartphone to get the most out of a game. I want to sit down and play my game, with everything there, IN MY CONSOLE.

I can see how it could work. I just don't see the need to hook up every single device with a screen to my 360. If my 360 comes alive and tries to kill me, it will have friends. I don't want to take that chance. In all seriousness, hooking up my tablet, smartphone, laptop, computer and other appliances to my 360 seems utterly pointless.

Tyrax

Kinda wish I had smartglass in lost oddesey for all the onscreen text. Or even for something like mass effect 1 or skyrim for inventory management.

for non-gaming, it a lot easier for me to type on a tablet than it is on an onscreen keyboard. So I am optimistic.

Don't really understand the neogaf hate, I think it has potential.

Top Bottom