• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why aren't you an eSports prodigy?

ironmang

Of any of the major games with big prize pools, there's thousands of players that are borderline pro but only like 50 make the big money. It's like asking why aren't you on the PGA Tour?

Knightime_X

hvw0TDw.jpg

mxbison

I don't know.

I was unbeatable at International Track & Field PS2 and rank #1 in the community created Mirrors Edge level from Little Big Planet.

Neither made it to the big eSports stage though.

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, even if I were good enough to be just that, it would suck the fun out of it for me.

I couldn't even imagine spending 1000's of hours playing a single game each day, every day for years. That ended after my World of Warcraft days.

Humdinger

I'm way too old, and I was never that good at videogames anyway (the twitch reflex stuff, I mean). Plus, I would never want to spend so much time honing my skills on one particular game. I just don't care that much. I'm not that competitive. I'm also not someone who is going to focus for so long, so intensely, on one particular, very narrow (and frankly rather meaningless) interest/activity. Just not me.

Last edited:
Seems easy - free money for being good at games. Why aren't you making bank gaf?

I've seen loads of gaffers complete rock hard games, is it an ability thing? Age thing? Do you think your ceiling is that high or you're just a single player pretender?

Darksydephil proved you don't even need to have ability or skill and can still make 108,000 a year to waste on phone gambling and two cats, one of being his paid wife he flew in on a plane that he has specifically got to cook him healthy food because he has no time, his own words.

DaGwaphics

Just never got gud at it.

When someone says a game is 8hrs I know that game is 12-16hrs for me. It's a benefit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Aesius

I desperately wanted to be a “pro” Age of Empires 2 player back in the day (over 20 years ago).

But I was in high school and had homework and some semblance of a social life.

I ended up switching to a less competitive RTS and dominated it for a while. Won a few tournaments, got a few prizes, but even that was stressful despite the easier competition.

Then I got a girlfriend and my competitive gaming days were over.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i rather be a twitch streamer and plays any game i wanted, instead of "stuck" at playing the same few games in my whole life, thats just suck.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Was on a semi pro team in the H2 MLG days and was in some Hollywood Halo videos. Good times, but looking back, it wasn't worth the time I put into it.
I had a friend in HS who spent 7-8 hours a day playing H2. He captured all his footage and he went to MLG games. That’s all he played. I met a few Halo pros from Nebraska. I went to a couple tournaments. It never clicked with me. It was cool to play.

I enjoy far too many games to stick to one. I like learning how to play games. I can’t devote 8 hours a day to play.

I also don’t really care. I don’t go onto esports websites and watch other players. It’s weird to be honest. It’s like a part of gaming that has none of my interests. I did like Evo for a while, but the FGC isn’t as good as it was when UMvC3 and SFIV were popular. It isn’t fun to watch. It’s not like I hate the games. I plan on playing SFVI, but I don’t try to participate in anything competitive outside a ranked match every other day. I’d rather play the arcade mode.

I also stopped watching Twitch. I watched it when it became Twitch, aka Justin.tv. I watched some of the people who are still around today. It just isn’t my thing. If something cool happens there’s YouTube or something. I’d rather devote that time playing the games I want to play.

kiphalfton

I've never been good at video games.

Pretty much this. I'm way better than somebody just getting into gaming. As I'd hope, having beats dozens upon dozens of games.

However, I'm also likely worse than most people who have played the same number of games I have.

OZ9000

Banned
I'm shit at multiplayer games. 13 years ago I was quite good at MW2 but now I'm lucky if I can get a single kill in a COD match.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Even if I had the interest, the time, the dedication, I’d still be an old man for the field.
That alone is enough to make you unpopular with the audience.

I’m an old filthy casul at this point, and that’s OK. More games to enjoy, no pressure, no worries about performance. See, the real reason games are easier these days is they have to cater to people like me, who grew up with gaming and never let it go. It’s the same for devs too.

The closest I got was Rocket League. I was fairly fucking good and bet some pros in my time but eventually where others kept improving I stagnated.

Who knows why that happened? Probably because I wasn't trying to become pro I just played when I wanted but didn't practice on improving at specific things.

Anyway eventually I stopped playing and while i was still the highest rank you could be I was a long way off the pro players.

Also games aren't fun if your are actively training like it's a job.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

If it was around when I was a kid I proobably would be, also being from a backwash small town when I was trying to be good at games it was hard to get a variety of people to practice against.

Top Bottom