• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why can I heal my enemies in Final Fantasy?

Sheroking

1) Undead enemies take damage by being healed. Some are killed outright by Phoenix Down.

2) When you and your enemies both have reflect on, you can heal your enemy to heal your party with magic.

Sakura

It's pretty awesome apart from the voice acting, which is typically terrible. Those CG cutscenes man, fucking hell.

Yea the voice acting is absolute rubbish in FFX. I actually quit playing the game as a kid after that laughing scene.
Fortunately it was much improved in XII.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
If you can't, you'll hear complains about why you can't heal your enemies in a RPG game

barit

Healing spells hurt undead. It's D&D 101. :p

This. It was a time where Final Fantasy stands for secrets, RPG tactic, endgame content and pure fun with crazy combination. That is all gone now :( Now you have super Waifus that wins the game by pressing X repeatedly. Ugh

His voice never bothered me. I'm also a person that wouldn't describe Raiden from MGS2 as whiny, so I guess I tolerate or enjoy voices other people don't like.

EDIT: Knew it, the same person voices both characters.

Well, I really enjoy Quinton Flynn's voice.

James Arnold Taylor voices Tidus. Quinton Flynn is in the game though, as Issaru. Strangely enough, it's one of his deeper voiced characters. Never had a problem with the voice acting outse of some places but apparently voice direction was all over the place.

OT: wait til you get to
Yunalesca
where having your party in zombie status actually helps.

MormaPope

Banned
James Arnold Taylor voices Tidus. Quinton Flynn is in the game though, as Issaru. Strangely enough, it's one of his deeper voiced characters. Never had a problem with the voice acting outse of some places but apparently voice direction was all over the place.

OT: wait til you get to
Yunalesca
where having your party in zombie status actually helps.

You're right, must've misread something.

Still like Tidus's voice and the voice actors performance.

Durante

Reflect shenanigans are fun in early FFs.

A better question is how come enemies can't heal themselves?

You'd think they would have learned by now they should carry a phoenix down.
The first time an enemy used a resurrect scroll on another one in Divinity: Original Sin I was flabbergasted.

MormaPope

Banned
Reflect shenanigans are fun in early FFs.

The first time an enemy used a resurrect scroll on another one in Divinity: Original Sin I was flabbergasted.

On a different but sorta related note, I'm still waiting for a game where enemies can run out of ammo.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Stuff like this - and the strategy that comes with it - is what makes games like Final Fantasy so great imo :)

Almighty

On a different but sorta related note, I'm still waiting for a game where enemies can run out of ammo.

Well if we want to go way back I am pretty sure the enemies in Fallout 1 and 2 can run out of ammo. It has been a while so I might be misremembering. It is something I think more games should do, especially turn based games.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
1) Undead enemies take damage by being healed. Some are killed outright by Phoenix Down.

2) When you and your enemies both have reflect on, you can heal your enemy to heal your party with magic.

This is awesome haha, I'll be trying this when I finally play through my copy of FF X/X-2 HD

Also when you are "Confused" your healers often heal enemies too as well as hurt fellow party member, that and the whole undead issue is why it is in many JRPG's.

Which is the best way to level up your party in FF2, what a broken game
From what I understand a number of attacks are fixed % of HP so all having grinded HP does is makes you take more damage from these and then you need to spend more potions/MP recovering this damage. Also Maria will probably die a lot more as her HP is a lot lower.

But what about how will I survive bosses withouth 2000HP etc, on the whole these are not very strong.

It is stupid how everyone hates the game for something you don't need to do (hit each other for hours until at 2000HP).

Morfeo

At least the enemies in most rpgs do run out of mp (in FF3 on the NES i think it was, its even the best strat on one of the bosses to just drain his mp as fast as you can if I remember correctly).

Morfeo

Which is the best way to level up your party in FF2, what a broken game

It is not broken if you dont let it be. If you just play through it regularly, use the abilities that fit best and take normal damage, you will level up appropriately for the challenge it offers. At least that was how I beat it back in the day.

Edit: ops sorry for the double post, meant to double quote.

Attacking allies also has it's own use. You can use it to bring an ally around from confusion, although eventually you will become too powerful for an ally to survive your attacks, but it's handy in the earlier stages.

I think The Last of Us actually does this? At least I remember enemies running away from me after a long gun fight.

Turns them undead and heals them. It does damage instead.

Don't read this spoiler if you don't want an easy game. I warned ya.

The final boss is susceptible to this trick.

can you chuck a phoenix down at him for an instant ko? I remember doing that to gi natak(sp?) in ff7, it was awesome

MechaX

OP, at least there is no Final Fantasy equivalent of a confused Yukari using Diaharan on final form Nyx in Persona 3.

That is a moment where I would seriously be asking "WHYYYYYY."

Hystzen

think ff8 had a zombie status that would make your group abide by those rules.

It also boosted vitality in FF8 being zombie status. Using junction system to make you absorb elements to heal yourself while under zombie a good trick.

Perfect Zell set up is zombie, haste, berserk and sometimes protect. He will heal when enemies use fire etc you can clean up every boss with just Zell if know bosses moves ahead

Orayn

Same reason you can target your own side with offensive spells, use items in weird ways, etc.

When you stop players from making choices that can potentially go poorly, you also stop them from being creative and coming up with novel solutions to the challenges they're presented with.

Zaku

Strategy. son.

The undead don't like heaing, and that Elixer you've got will do a fine job of knocking them down a peg or 9999.

Dr. Buni

It's pretty awesome apart from the voice acting, which is typically terrible. Those CG cutscenes man, fucking hell.
The CGs are really good, but the absurd amount of CGs and dialogues is what put me off of the game. I plan to finish it someday, though, because I liked some of the characters.

khaaan

I have to say, I know why they do it but I don't know if I like that there's only ever really one time in a Final Fantasy game where you can actually put that functionality to use.

DMiz

Isn't there a way to turn on some targeting window in FFX? I know you could definitely do it in VII, VIII, and IX; if you're having trouble making a consistent targeting choice, that window basically reduces any chance of mistake.

But FFX is using CTB, anyway. You have an infinite amount of time to carefully make your inputs.

Lothar

Banned

The voice acting and cutscenes are great. It's the gameplay that could have been better. It gets very repetitive fighting the same monster types over and over, using the same strategies each time.

Koren

So I started playing Final Fantasy X HD last night, and in the process of fighting a mini boss (
Giant Jellyfish after beating Sin on the boat
), I accidentally healed the fucker with one of my potions while trying to heal one of my characters.

Just....Why? Why is this even possible? Is it Square just trolling me, or does this serve some sort of narrative purpose? Not to mention being able to attack my own teammates by accident, which happened once.
Just some suggestions:

- healing (especially relife) hurts zombified enemies in many JRPG, including FF (and you can even inflict the zomby status yourself) First time I noticed this in FF was in the SNES FF Mystic Quest, the four forms of the final boss can be killed in three healing "attacks". There's several enemy/bosses in FFX that allow the use of this trick, just think about it ^_^

- sometimes healing your allies bring a boss answer (such as a powerful attack)... casting reflect on the enemy and casting heal on them heals your allies instead without triggering an enemy action against that

- the previous case is even more interesting if the enemy is casting reflect on YOUR team, casting heal on an enemy becomes the only way to heal your own team

- keeping an enemy alive can be useful, for example when killing an enemy makes another more powerful/deadly, which happens in FF...

- sometimes you want to get an overkill on an enemy, and healing it can avoid a "cheap" kill you don't want (such as when you have a berserk ally or one you can't controll)

- you sometimes want to loot some items (such as stealing rare items), and when the enemy loose life (for example because of counter), you'll want to heal it to make the fight longer. You can even want to re-life it to be able to kill him several times in the same battle. It also work for blue magic, sometimes it takes time to see an enemy using a specific attack.

That's just 6 reasons... there's probably others. It's REALLY handy.

I'll add that in many Disgaea, healing is often one of the most (if not THE most) effective offensive spell, because healing effect can be inverted, and it ignores defense (even if it's nerfed with respect to the other spells, at the end, it's still far more powerful).

Attacking allies, too, is really useful. Besides removing some status (sleeping, confusion, etc., depending on the RPG), it can be the best healing solution. Just try equipping an armor that absorb an element and use a weapon with that element on it... A friend of mine managed a low-level FF XII this way (thing lvl 1-3 when you finish the game). The idea is that guns don't use MP, are not based on ATK, so they can restore an insane LOT of HP even using a low-level character.

kick51

Banned
Just....Why? Why is this even possible? Is it Square just trolling me, or does this serve some sort of narrative purpose? Not to mention being able to attack my own teammates by accident, which happened once.

It almost sounds like you're blaming the devs for your own bad decisions (well, your perceived bad decisions...both serve major roles)

Some FFs actually have a Healing Staff item, which has high "attack" points but only heals the target rather than inflicts damage.

Squalor

lawd.png

We have a JRPG virgin over here.

Krejlooc

Banned
Also, can't you cast reflect on a teammate, and then attack them with spells to hurt enemies with reflect?

Yup, this is an awesome tactic. Cast reflect on your party, then use an attack or spell that targets multiple characters and attack your party. Depending on the final fantasy game, doing this will turn one attack into either three or four attacks back at the enemy. Especially brutal in ATB FF games because that's 3 or 4 instant attacks without waiting.

I have to say, I know why they do it but I don't know if I like that there's only ever really one time in a Final Fantasy game where you can actually put that functionality to use.
I vaguely recall doing it to keep an enemy alive when trying to learn an enemy skill. Enemy was probably confused and hurting itself.

Top Bottom