• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why cant MS match Sony in First Party abilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virex

Banned
I am still not sure why MS cant do the same with fist party titles as Sony can.
Sony has shown its actually possible as they have done it.
Last gen Sony tied they're studios to to make the best games they can
MS however with the XOX and Xbox One wen't bothered with that and kept making no exclusives of value with their hardware using DDR3 RAM and a pool of ESRAM to a pool of 12GB of GDDR5 RAM.
No problem with first party quality for the Sony.

And again this next gen we see Sony smashing MS on fist party games.

Is this just MS not caring about fist party? Or do they not have the technical ability like Sony to do it?
I realize Sony are the 1st party kings and have far more talent and knowedge than MS in this area, but surely its not at that level to get MS fist party going is it?

I mean, basically every PC game made is with graphics in mind. A new GPU comes out, the game plays on it. A new CPU comes out, it plays on it. Different card manufacturers, with different CU numbers and different clock speeds? Not a problem. Three different Pcs with different amount and types of RAM?
Not a problem. New game runs.

So what the fuck is going on GAF?

Redlancet

Banned
There is a lot of factors, but kinect ifs one of them, they fucked their devs, they lost a lot of talent who wasnt being replaced, and they always thing their thing is milking their well know ips, and thirds partys carry the rest, all worked on the first years of xbox 360,after the kinect it was a disaster

Bankai

Yeah I know, I thought about this too. I really think they have a different focus than Sony. Because they want to sell their service more than their hardware, I think multiplayer games are preferable to invest in. After all, they have a longer lifespan and might "hook" a player into the ecosystem. Therefor we see games like Bleeding Edge. With Series X we dó see more single player games being developed, which is awesome.

I think MS made REALLLLY bad decisions in the Don Mattrick days, securing the PS4's victory. Great franchises like Fable and the power of RARE were left in the dust or forced into weird multiplayer formats (which got cancelled after years of development). They just took the wrong turn, thought to know what was best for consumers and failed hard.

It takes time to develop great franchises and great games. PLaystation has been doing that forever with the best inhouse tech/studios in the world. It's gonna take a while for XBox to catch up.. although I don't think they're aiming for the same goal. Xbox seems satisfied to catch as many gamers as possible into their ecosystem Gamepass - no matter the hardware. But whether this approach will get us the killer exclusives.. I don't know - I hope so.

Kimahri

Banned
A couple of years ago, with the blood of Lionhead fresh on their hands, threads like this would make sense.

But now, after their acquisition spree which we a all (should) know we won't see the results of for another couple of years? It just looks silly. Sure, the games coming might suck, but they arguably have more AAA talent now than Sony does.

Sony is about to face a lot of competition in amount of high level games.

But it's still a ways off, and that's where Microsoft shit the bed, they did this too late. They should have ramped up earlier, or you know, not shut down quality teams, and they would have had a good lineup ready for the first year of next gen.

Sony smashing Sony? Way too early to tell. I don't find many of their announced first party games all that exciting. Of their first party games I'll probably play Ratchet and Demon's Souls. I find Microsoft's announced games more interesting tbh.

Because they are american lead. There it works just to spam buzzwords and claim they are the best.

So they dont need good games, just simple halo/forza/gears is enough.

Rest of the world aint so gullible.

So, the answer is: overly confident without real merits to back it up leads into repeating same mistakes: relying on simpler games engineered for American taste, like pop-tards.

martino

tenor.gif

most "power house" of sony only come to fuitition to offer recognize quality during ps3 era (and more recent acquisition/ founded studio later)
MS did a low effort at beginning and stopped and only decided to start rebuilding half this gen.
you will have to wait (I'm not even sure half this gen will be enough) for them to match that if it's their objective.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I love Halo, Gears, Forza. I probably played God of War and Last of Us once and never got any reason to boot up again.

While MS first party is where I got lot of my multiplayer fix.

that’s exactly it. I love Sony first party games, but I play Halo MCC with 5 good multiplayers (I left out halo 4) almost every night and for hours at a time. It’s such a joy to play!

Add in Forza, flight sim, gears of war, Sea of theives, Forza Horizon and the occasional Perfect Dark with friends, and that’s why I lean Xbox. It’s been a better experience with friends.

Ar¢tos

I think they still expect 3rd parties to carry the console. While Sony has been showing great graphics running on actual dev kits, MS seems to expect that having the most powerful console for 3rd parties to be enough.
They haven't even bothered to show their most important title with the best graphics possible running on actual hardware, instead they showed it running on what seemed like a 5 year old Netbook speced pc, with the message "we will fix it later"™®©.

Maybe that will change now that Sony is gobbling up 3rd party deals, but it might be too late to affect the PS5 momentum.

cormack12

Gold Member
They really damaged their long term plans and made no strides to correct them. At the moment they are making the right 'kind' of acquisitions but they still have to bear fruit.

Sucker Punch were competent, but they only really became prominent by leading off this generation with I:SS. Now they look to have a Tier 1 IP and have grown as a studio. Games like Sly and Infamous were really complementary games that formed part of a larger library. Guerilla Games were always artistically very competent but put out solid but unspectacular FPS - eventually they got a shot at Horizon and also look to have built a new IP with legs. Just as Uncharted looks on its way out. They've allowed their studio's to grow and become better. MS studio's have pressure now to deliver on their attempts to immediately put out new flagship IPs and also repair the older franchises. It's a lot to ask in a short space of time. The steps that have been made recently really needed to be made as soon as Mattrick was chucked out. I don't know why they've only been allowed to follow this strategy in the last two years - I still think there's a naivety that they can just buy a studio and put out a software title that will be well received. They were aso too quick to throw the baby out with the bathwater in certain circumstances like Quantum break and Alan Wake - it's very hard to get a read on expectations. They also haven't just adopted the trend of third person cinematic games to have some like for like titles (given their popularity).

I was excited with some of the games showed at the MS show but we still need to see these guys produce something as a studio. I think Sony have also learned from Microsoft with the Xbox release. They saw Microsoft try to rely on XBL brand loyalty and how they basically screwed up the '3rd party machine' title they had. I think that's why there are rumours of the exclusivity. Sony don't want to adopt them, they just want that moniker to remain during launch and a little beyond.

cireza

Is MS doing bad in terms of first party ? I see games like Sea of Thieves, Halo, Grounded, Forza, Gears or Minecraft actually making very high sales numbers.

Every single game you release does not have to sell 20 millions copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom