• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Activison put a Sierra website up?

mkenyon

Banned
Wait, tribes ascend is no more? It cannot be played? Haven't seen anything of this in the media or elsewhere at all.

I imagine Hi Rez would gladly sell the IP, SMITE is theie big earner now and TA was dropped like a hot potato as soon as the beta was well received. Problem is I don't see anyone including Activision/Blizzard thinking it's worth buying.

This will be something else.
There are still private servers, but yeah. The game is dead and will be receiving no more support from Hi Rez.

Komo

Banned
I adore that new logo!
It's so refreshing to see something like that among the sea of samey, simplistic garbage

Is this real life, this is really happening, why of all studios would they bring back sierra though considering they were shut for bad sales.
Funny me and my mate were talking about this studio last week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Starsiege_Tribes_3.jpg

PLEASE

If you want digital re-releases of the old Tribes games, you'll need to talk to Hi-Rez Studios.

CTLance

I suspect I will not like what I'll be seeing, but the potential resurrection of the Sierra Online of old is such a nice possibility that I cannot help but cheer from the sidelines.

Actiblizz, don't you dare fuck this up.

Nokterian

My prediction:

Sierra will be Activision's "Non-AAA" sub label. All the games that are weird, niche, arty, experiments that push gaming forward just a little bit, ressurections of old IPs, and new IP's that Activision deem not worthy of $500 million in advertising over 10 years, will be published under The big rock. A glorious golden age of gaming follows.

The likely reality:

Mobile ports, one or two Mediocre new games, a couple of remakes, and a 3D nextgen King's Quest Reboot that's overhyped but tanks horribly.

I hate being a pessimist.

Got the same feeling, because Activision has suits working there and need to keep there shareholders happy. I am very very optimistic with this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I just associate Sierra with Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest and Quest for Glory.

So you can imagine how cautiously optimistic I am right now.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't know if Sierra owns the IP but if somebody doesn't make a SWAT 5 in the near future I'm going to complain about it on the internet. Seriously, Swat 4 was an AMAZING game, completly overlooked but sooo good.

Bring it, I'm all for Sierra style games to make a return. Drop the point and click but keep the sense of adventure and worlds.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Y'all know that this is probably going to be some mobile thing, right? Cause that's how this works everytime.....

Corpekata

Banned
People expecting something like Crash are likely to be disappointed. While Sierra did have a hand with them, the brand is largely known for their older games. Bringing the label back makes sense for titles heavily associated with the brand like the Quest games, while a Crash reboot would not really benefit all that much from it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Whoa. I'm intrigued...

Next week's going to be pretty interesting.

Guerrilla

Finally. I was thinking I was alone to wait for this.
I did not play too much at Phantasmagoria 2 but I really like the first 1.

I'm in for this too. played through 1 and 2 and really liked them back in the day. However I think we are still a very small group ;)

Sharkiller

Some things I found in the code:
  • PSN, XBOX, Others, profile.network, profile.ghosts, profile.ghostsSeasonPass (???
  • Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • Age checkers for > 18 years old
  • 20 languages support
  • Code to send data to: 'score card research DOT com/p?c1=2&c2=14880931' that is marked as spam/malware/virus in WOT.
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery

El_Chino

• PSN, XBOX, Others, profile.network, profile.ghosts, profile.ghostsSeasonPass (???
  • Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • 20 languages support
  • Code to send data to: 'score card research DOT com/p?c1=2&c2=14880931' that is marked as spam/malware/virus in WOT.
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery
I guess maybe it won't be mobile.

• Preorders
  • Retailer selectors
  • Code for Countdowns
  • 20 languages support
  • Discussion pagination
  • Image gallery
Whatthefuck.gif

I have no idea what to think of any of this...but I'm excited

jimi_dini

HD Remaster this, pretty please

2b249f1710fe391c9884cea1b4915e20.gif

The original supported Hi-Res animated portraits (the Windows 3.11 copy) and it's easy to play that version nowadays, because ScummVM supports it.

dumetON.jpg

All the original artists + programmers + Sierra itself are gone for years. They would fuck it up anyway.

Interesting. They could be bringing Sierra back to do niche games like what ubisoft do with the Ubi art engine ala valiant hearts/child of light.

Either that or Activision have given them the chance to bring crash Bandicoot back.

Either of those situations I will gladly take! :p

Almighty

Yeah while part of me wants to squeal like a little girl at the thought of getting Quest for Glory HD remakes or hell even new QfGs or any other classic titles I know it is just a pipe dream. It will be interesting to see what Activision is planning, but I am expecting the worse.

Acosta

Activision, jealous of EA and Origin, decides to do the same and create Sierra, an exciting portal to buy and share your experience with hot Activision games like Call of Duty and, mmm, Skylanders! (neither Destiny or Blizzard games be included). Please be excited.

Raytow

Activision, jealous of EA and Origin, decides to do the same and create Sierra, an exciting portal to buy and share your experience with hot Activision games like Call of Duty and, mmm, Skylanders! (neither Destiny or Blizzard games be included). Please be excited.
This is probably the answer, not expecting anything good out of this.

Phear

Sierra is god tier. We had gaming magazine in Germany for like 8-10 DM (4-5 Euro) with 2 Sierra Games every month. I loved almost every single game. I'm very excited for their return.

As for wishes, i'd like some next gen Lode Runner.

gschmidl

I'd be laughing at all the jokes here if they weren't so possible, if not probable.

How about Incredible Machine but with consumable machine part microtransactions?

More seriously, Activision's Infocom iOS app is pretty good and not exploitative, so I have a tiny, tiny bit of hope here that waits to be crushed.

mo60

I highly doubt whatever is revealed will be a game announcement.It will still be something gaming related anyway.

Top Bottom