• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why did Microsoft show so many Series X/PC only games at their stream? What happened to no exclusives?

ManaByte

State of Decay 3
Forza
Everwild
Avowed
Hellblade 2
The Medium
Fable

All of those said Series X/PC only. The cross-gen stuff listed Xbox One at the end of the trailer.

How did this happen? For months we've been hearing how the Series X would have no exclusives and everything is cross-gen.

SamFo

State of Decay 3
Forza
Everwild
Avowed
Hellblade 2
The Medium
Fable

All of those said Series X/PC only. The cross-gen stuff listed Xbox One at the end of the trailer.

How did this happen? For months we've been hearing how the Series X would have no exclusives and everything is cross-gen.
I thought this was pretty strange too!
Probably won't be seeing any of these games any time soon.

Also - Sack Aaron Greenberg

beni12

Neo Member
Everwild & Avowed are listed for xbox one as well, i think it's possible that everything on that list except The Medium (a third party game) is coming to xbox one.

Last edited:

Rikoi

They showed Fable? They “announced“ Fable. We saw nothing of the game.

Microsoft “announced” games that look to be years away with cinematic trailers that focused on the story and gave no details on the gameplay.
I would say that anything that didn't have a release date is 2022/2023 material (at least).
I'm kinda disappointed at these console presentations that present games that will come out far in the future when they are advertising to sell a console in a couple months.

Three

State of Decay 3
Forza
Everwild
Avowed
Hellblade 2
The Medium
Fable

Because I bet most of those games take more than 2 years to release if what they showed of them is anything to go by. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Im soo happy Forza is only XSX and pc. The One would held the game soo much back, like no dynamic tod, no new physics, The environment, .... Also the games that where XSX and PC only where the games that looked good while the others looked just average (even if they had high frame rate).

jakinov

State of Decay 3
Forza
Everwild
Avowed
Hellblade 2
The Medium
Fable

They never said there would be no exclusives forever. They said the games coming out the first two years will be released on both. Most of the games are about 2 years in development so will likely come out in 3 years. The recent statement has been that they aren't going to make a game exclusive just to sell new consoles, the quote was something along the lines of not making things exclusive because they want people to buy their new console at a certain time (i.e. right away). Which means if a game could work on Xbox One they aren't going to block it just because they want to sell more Xboxes. They also said that they let developers decide if they want to support Xbox One.

DryvBy

State of Decay 3
Forza
Everwild
Avowed
Hellblade 2
The Medium
Fable

Because those probably won't be coming out any time soon .

ManaByte

Microsoft “announced” games that look to be years away with cinematic trailers that focused on the story and gave no details on the gameplay.
Those are going to be 2022 games I would guess and by that time the Xbox One generation is EOL.
Because I bet most of those games take more than 2 years to release if what they showed of them is anything to go by. 🤷‍♂️
They never said there would be no exclusives forever. They said the games coming out the first two years will be released on both. Most of the games are about 2 years in development so will likely come out in 3 years. The recent statement has been that they aren't going to make a game exclusive just to sell new consoles, the quote was something along the lines of not making things exclusive because they want people to buy their new console at a certain time (i.e. right away). Which means if a game could work on Xbox One they aren't going to block it just because they want to sell more Xboxes. They also said that they let developers decide if they want to support Xbox One.
Because those probably won't be coming out any time soon .

Remind me how many times Sony showed games that were 3 or 4 years away at E3.

Ellery

I am too lazy to go through it right now, why would it be important?

Nothing in my post implied anything negative, but rather a realistic reason for why those games are Xbox Series X and PC exclusive and not Xbox One.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I don’t care what Sony did in the past, look at what Sony is doing now.
They are murdering the Xbox in terms of hype. That’s how disappointed I am with the XSX launch lineup.

Dramos

Don't forget the possibility that Microsoft/Xbox Studios can cancel them (i.e. Scalebound, Fable Legends, Black Tusk Studio's initial game, etc.)

jakinov

Well they showed Last of Us 2 in 2016 at PSX. They showed Final Fantasy 7 in 2015. They showed last guardian a very long time before it released. They showed Dreams before E3 at their initial showcase event before the launch of the console in 2013 (I think). Ghosts of Tshumia was first shown in 2017. Then there's a bunch of stuff they showed that are ~2 years away from when they released like God of War, Horizon, etc.

Journey

Banned
Don't forget the possibility that Microsoft/Xbox Studios can cancel them (i.e. Scalebound, Fable Legends, Black Tusk Studio's initial game, etc.)

Fable will be canceled... you heard it hear first folks, thank you Gaf, never change!

Last edited:

JasonVA

Maybe they just wanted to shovel a bunch of medicore games out to say that they have something?

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
You could take a giant liquid shit in the middle of the street that would be more entertaining than this so called showcase.

Raimond

Everwild is coming to Xbox One I am sure. Rest are not.
Are you sure? I just rewatched the stream and it was one of the games that didn't list Xbox one at the bottom.

I feel lied to since I thought all games through 2022 were coming to Xbox one, series x and PC. Now if it comes in 2023, then that's fair. But I don't think it is.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Are you sure? I just rewatched the stream and it was one of the games that didn't list Xbox one at the bottom.

I feel lied to since I thought all games through 2022 were coming to Xbox one, series x and PC. Now if it comes in 2023, then that's fair. But I don't think it is.
They said Xbox One in X019.

Kerotan

What did the berg do?

MS PR apart from fooling their fans into thinking they're going to return to their former glory for the last decade has been a shit show. The messaging is all over the place it gives you a headache.

Sony talk when they need to and don't blabber constantly looking for extra sound bites.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Because they can't confirm that they'll be ready in the next two years.

teezzy

Banned
Microsoft's biggest downfall again this generation is going to be just how confusing their overall messaging is in terms of what their goals overall.

Their emphasis on GamePass and XCloud should've been made super apparent as that's what they're trying to sell even moreso than this partifular console SKU.

If nerds on GAF can't figure out exactly what they're doing, then Lord help the general consumer. Xbox needs a Hail Mary pass very fucking badly at this point.

quest

Not Banned from OT
People can't read or listen they said 2 years not forever lol. The concern troll was a nice of you.

Microsoft's biggest downfall again this generation is going to be just how confusing their overall messaging is in terms of what their goals overall.

Their emphasis on GamePass and XCloud should've been made super apparent as that's what they're trying to sell even moreso than this partifular console SKU.

If nerds on GAF can't figure out exactly what they're doing, then Lord help the general consumer. Xbox needs a Hail Mary pass very fucking badly at this point.
You mean people pretending to be ignorant to troll at this point. It has been clear there would be cross generation as transition or grace period 2 years Booty said it first.

Last edited:

Reindeer

As far as Epic says, UE5 is coming out in the 2nd half of next year. Development will shift to UE5 when it becomes available for commercial use, not now.
You didn't watch the conference, did you? Ninja Theory explicitly said that it's being developed on UE5.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vawn

Banned
The no Series X exclusives was for the first two years. Games like Fable and Avowed were clearly years off as they showed little more than a "we're making this game" trailer.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
They never said no XSX exclusives. It's really not hard to understand. The leave no Xbox behind initiative is because of Game Pass. They need to gradually move over to next gen so they do not lose subs.

Bkdk

If there’s exclusives I’d rather it to be on the pc, Big budget pc exclusives like flight and AOE4 are so rare, less console exclusives is great, I always prefer to play games with more customizable options. Sony has less consoles exclusives as well, horizon 2 will likely be on the PC.

Though I agree with this (and the PR department as a whole), I think Phil and the team deserves critique as well. Greenberg is being told what to communicate, and this is a shit show that starts further up than him.

Top Bottom