• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Microsoft win over the hearts of gamers like Sony and Nintendo did?

Some of the responses in this thread are...odd. I’ll throw in my 2 cents though.

I’ll preface this with saying I loved the Xbox, and I still go back to watch the G4 Icons video on it because it’s inception is weird but amazing. I also have tons of nostalgia for the early 2000s. I didn’t get a 360 until the Slim came out because since I had to choose (we did not have money growing up) and I was only ever going to choose the console with MGS4 coming. I loved my 360 though. I have lots of fun memories and I miss it and so. I have always gravitated towards PlayStation as Ps1 was my first console so I kept it going.

Microsoft built up a lot of goodwill during the first two generations. 360 was huge in the states and most people I knew had one. That being said the last few years of the console were terrible: No games, and tons of Kinect bullshit. I think that’s a good reason why PS3 was able to catch up (and I believe sell more WW) by the end. They kept games coming.

Queue the Xbox One. They fucked that launch up pretty badly. $100 more then PS4, forced Kinect, TV TV TV, and lots of arrogance with DRM. that Presentation hurt them badly, even after they reversed the decision people didn’t know and seemed to have already made their choice. PlayStation has pulled all the right choices. When it comes to games, Xbox One has great games but not quite on the level of PS this gen. That being said, they are making good strides. Gamepass is good value for certain people, the new consoles are great, X is amazing value (though obviously born as a attempt to shake “resolution gate”), and they seem to be investing in games which is good.

While I don’t think it makes a huge difference I do think play anywhere makes a bit of a difference with the hardcore crowd and for me I won’t buy the next Xbox most likely because I could get a new PC and still play the games I love (I love Halo, Forza horizon, and Gears).

I’m curious to see how the next generation plays out though. I hope Microsoft has good stuff coming.

tr1p1ex

You forgot to mentioned both 360 and PS3 sold about the same amount of units, where PS3 dropped from 150 million to something like 87 million (whatever Sony said a week ago was there final ship out numbers). Also, Wii beat both.

Arguing unit sales is like a PC gamer saying a GPU from 5 years ago selling millions of units is better than a more powerful 4 year old chip that has sold less, and a 3 year old GPU that has sold ever fewer units.

You missed the pt. The pt was Sony was majorly ingrained into the gaming world before MS came along. That was the pt of showing the massive sales of the PS1 and PS2. REad for meaning. Resist being triggered by sales numbers in a post.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

No Xbox has sold as bad the worst Nintendo platform either. Just saying.

Just saying what though? The pt was Nintendo and Sony have gotten their tentacles farther into more gamers because of much bigger successes than MS has ever achieved. Nintendo might have flopped with the hardware value of the Wii U. Sony had a bad era with the $600 PS3. In Sony's case they did their best to get costs quickly down and took losses on it for a long time. Nintendo reacted differently to the Wii debacle and cut its lifespan short and didn't discount it much. Instead they came out with a sequel 4 yrs later and released a lot of Wii U ports. And it's been a success. NIntendo also had the 3ds during the Wii U era so in terms of overall reach into the gaming world Nintendo was still reaching quite far into it with its 80 million sales of 3ds and 13 million Wii U.

It is natural for a company that hasn't seen as big of successes as the 2 other companies in the space to appear to get less attention/respect/love from gamers.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Quite simple; after ten years of winning over hearts and minds then they went viciously for wallets and deception. Kinect was a complete backfire that only the most hardcore nutjob MS fans thought was good. They lied in all their presentations and against the wishes of true fans, tried ramming kinect 2 down our throats. The end of Kinect was inevitable.

But, instead of being humble and saying "our bad" like sony did, they tripled down with tv tv tv, water coolers and teh power of teh cloud.

Who could give Microsoft their mind when MS lie so much? Who could give them their heart when Microsoft are hell bent on breaking it by, ignoring the desires and wants of their fanbase?

They haven't changed either. Xbox one x is another flim flam, a sham and a rouse to win people over. Its only the most powerful console because its a brand new console.

This. Everything about the "xbox comeback" story is predicated on hyperbole, fantasy, or looking at xbox exclusively in a vacuum. Sales are DOWN 33 percent and revenue only grew 5 percent in their last quarter, thats not good. And the so called industry insiders and experts say MS is rebounding from the 2013 launch mess. Now theyre going to dominate next gen because of literally pie in the sky cloud gaming, play anywhere and a few has been or never was great studios got added? I wasnt aware the bros who take their controller everywhere with them in a fanny pack and happen to only live in 5G areas were such a huge untapped demographic.

And for the record, xbox never "sold" 84 million or whatever. There were not 84 million individual 360 owners. The 360 sales were inflated by people buying multiple boxes because of RROD. If i had to guess the real sales were somewhere between 60-70 million, but thats just tales from my ass.

Last edited:
And for the record, xbox never "sold" 84 million or whatever. There were not 84 million individual 360 owners. The 360 sales were inflated by people buying multiple boxes because of RROD. If i had to guess the real sales were somewhere between 60-70 million, but thats just tales from my ass.

At one point Microsoft stopped quoting sold numbers and started quoting shipped numbers, even though Nintendo and Sony kept on giving out the sold number of units.

Microsoft have been lying for decades. Their only saving grace was OG xbox and the first five years of the 360. Scummy company.

Ten_Fold

Xbox 360 was the best system imo from 05-09, they were the best place to play any game online, they had shooters, first to get the new COD map packs when cod4/mw2 were at the top, halo 3 was pretty damn fun, gears trilogy was really good, they had some jrpgs that was mostly good, I had no reason to even play the ps3, it was just kinda there, BUT once they shift the focus from gamers to the really casual audience with Kinect and the shit show that was the Xbox one launch they kinda messed up. All they needs is GAMES no media crap we want GAMES!!!

Dabaus

Banned
Xbox 360 was the best system imo from 05-09, they were the best place to play any game online, they had shooters, first to get the new COD map packs when cod4/mw2 were at the top, halo 3 was pretty damn fun, gears trilogy was really good, they had some jrpgs that was mostly good, I had no reason to even play the ps3, it was just kinda there, BUT once they shift the focus from gamers to the really casual audience with Kinect and the shit show that was the Xbox one launch they kinda messed up. All they needs is GAMES no media crap we want GAMES!!!
This a good summary imo about what made the 360 at that time great but I wonder if they could ever recreate that success? It seems like they sort of lucked into halo being what it was at the time and Sony being mia for 2 years effected the Japanese market in a bad way. I think gears 5 will review well but I can’t see it being the franchise it once was ever again.

I think a lot of what made the 360 great in the long run was just a lot of good luck. Sony being mia, halo, cod becoming the phenomenon that it is, and gears being the hot new ip just seems like a confluence of events that probably couldn’t happen again. But then again who the hell knows?

Celcius

°Temp. member
IMO the original Xbox was amazing and the Xbox 360 was great too. The Xbox One was what lost them a lot of ground.

That being said the last few years of the console were terrible: No games, and tons of Kinect bullshit.

One highlight of the final years of the 360 was Gears of War: Judgement though.

Which I know was controversial and not everyone liked, but personally I really dug it.

They did.
Then Xbox One TV-DRM shitshow happened.
I was an hardcore Xbox 360 fan (ans still fan actually).

I revisited the 360 for the first time in 6 years all summer long in 2017 and had a blast, a lot of great memories.

Top Bottom