• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people drink juice?

pramod

Banned
From the way I see it you are ingesting a ton of unhealthy sugar for a minimal dose of Vitamin C and A, which you can get from many other sources without the sugar and you're getting none of the numerous other advantages of just eating a regular fruit like the fiber content.

So why is juice so popular? I can understand drinking it just because you are thirsty and needing something to drink, but juice as a "healthy" drink doesn't make much sense to me. I've pretty stopped drinking juice or smoothies these days and just eat regular fruit.

Last edited:
Fruit = good, so fruit juice = good

That's what a lot of people think, probably. Otherwise, yeah, it tastes good. If taste didn't matter we'd all be drinking the healthiest thing of all: water.

120v

lot of it is how we're raised. how many of us didn't grow up with juice boxes, sunny D, ect

but yeah it's laughably unhealthy. i'm amazed how many people i talk to who've lost a lot of weight told me "oh, yeah, i just quit drinking juice"

Grinchy

Banned
People who drink orange juice with their breakfast should just chomp on an orange in between bites of food.

Last edited:

It's Jeff

Banned
My nephew and niece are picky eaters. My sister in law gives the two of them juice because they won't drink anything else - getting any milk in them is like pounding golf tees underneath their fingernails.

You get a little older, have a rough day and you reach for something you liked as a kid and you feel better. Prefer the Hostess cupcake myself when life is unfair, but I think there's a kernel of truth to it.

luxsol

My nephew and niece are picky eaters. My sister in law gives the two of them juice because they won't drink anything else - getting any milk in them is like pounding golf tees underneath their fingernails.
So how much juice does your sister drink?

My own nephews pretty much only like shit because of what their parents drink/eat.
It's extremely noticeable with my sister's kids, because her first kid loves just about everything, because my sister used to eat way more healthily. With her second kid, she was pretty much eating only junk food by then.
So my nephew (first kid) has no problem eating fish, drinking tea, and eating all his vegetables. My niece only eats cheese and drinks soda.
There's only a two year difference between them, so you can see what those few years did in establishing their likes into their teenage years.

Also, juice is delicious. That's why people drink it.
Personally, i water it way down by like a third with melted ice or just water. Same with soda. Shit is way too sugary.

It's Jeff

Banned
So how much juice does your sister drink?

My own nephews pretty much only like shit because of what their parents drink/eat.
It's extremely noticeable with my sister's kids, because her first kid loves just about everything, because my sister used to eat way more healthily. With her second kid, she was pretty much eating only junk food by then.
So my nephew (first kid) has no problem eating fish, drinking tea, and eating all his vegetables. My niece only eats cheese and drinks soda.
There's only a two year difference between them, so you can see what those few years did in establishing their likes into their teenage years.

Also, juice is delicious. That's why people drink it.
Personally, i water it way down by like a third with melted ice or just water. Same with soda. Shit is way too sugary.

Hard to say. She's one of those types that always gets the healthy stuff when she's out with other people - but those Dairy Queen Dilly Bars in her freezer aren't eating themselves. I think you're making a great point about modeling good eating behaviors as a parent. My parents smoked cigarettes, I followed right along. Can't imagine diet is any different.

Kamina

Golden Boy
It tastes good and sugar is addicting.
Paired with the human weekness to not being able to stop doing what is bad for you because it is enjoyable.

Last edited:

Corrik

From the way I see it you are ingesting a ton of unhealthy sugar for a minimal dose of Vitamin C and A, which you can get from many other sources without the sugar and you're getting none of the numerous other advantages of just eating a regular fruit like the fiber content.

So why is juice so popular? I can understand drinking it just because you are thirsty and needing something to drink, but juice as a "healthy" drink doesn't make much sense to me. I've pretty stopped drinking juice or smoothies these days and just eat regular fruit.
It does give you vitamins and minerals you may not get otherwise. However, it really is not good for you either at the end of the day.

DiscoJer

Why eat fruit? Why not just drink water and take vitamins?

Heck, for that matter, why ever sit down? Just stand up all the time, it's much healthier.

longdi

Banned
There is fresh pure fruit juice and there is canned "juice". The first is refreshing, healthy and helps me to shit daily.

The later is worthless and no better than soda.

WaterAstro

Fruit juice is better than nothing if you don't eat fruit, but I agree that eating fruit is better because of the fiber.

lol at vitamins. Useless junk that drug companies tells you that it can replace fruit.

Airola

It's a good and tasty way to drink water.

Whenever I've been able to lose weight I have only stopped eating candy and reduced the amount of pizza I eat but I have continued drinking juice the way I've been drinking before so I feel like juice doesn't have that effect on me. It probably also helps that I don't drink coffee or tea at all. Juice is my thing.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
there's alot more in fruit than vitamins, water, sugar, fibre, and minerals.

lil puff

Remember Little Huggies? Came in a little plastic jug shaped like a bottle, left a nasty metallic aftertaste. Disgusting.

And Kool-Aid. Good times!

I rarely drink juice anymore. Drink of choice is hot water with lemon.

That's why I dilute my water in the evening with a range of plant based extracts and ethanol and call it "beer"

I just drink a variety of teas, but then I don't drink alcohol.

There are plenty of teas with better unique nutritional value than juice, especially once you take the sugar and loss of pulp into account.

Water, teas, and a rare diet soft drink give plenty of variety for drinks.

betrayal

Banned
People are drinking juice because of marketing. Quite simple. There is virtually no real reason to ever drink juice. Overweight itself could be halfed, if people would stop consuming calories with their drinks. Simple solutions are not always applicable. But this topic, it really is simple and comes with a simple solution.

Send all juice over to the people in world who are starving. You solve two major problems in the world. Malnutrition and overweight.

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
Remember Little Huggies? Came in a little plastic jug shaped like a bottle, left a nasty metallic aftertaste. Disgusting.

And Kool-Aid. Good times!

I rarely drink juice anymore. Drink of choice is hot water with lemon.

I remember those from Cub Scouts. My mom would never buy them for home, cause too much sugar. No soda either...until I got addicted to Mountain Dew as a teenager.

People drink Juice because it's better than Soda and Water gets old very quickly.

About once a month I go for some Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. It's so good and "slices" through the morning gunk in your mouth so beautifully.

BANGS

Banned
I try to get the "no sugar added" juice when possible. It's still way too sweet and delicious...

llien

It's tasty.
While you should avoid it, if trying to lose weight, it is as "unhealthy" as eating fruits.

lil puff

I remember those from Cub Scouts. My mom would never buy them for home, cause too much sugar. No soda either...until I got addicted to Mountain Dew as a teenager.

About once a month I go for some Ruby Red Grapefruit juice. It's so good and "slices" through the morning gunk in your mouth so beautifully.
Cub Scouts, yup. Me too! And after football practices.

Now that you mention Grapefruit Juice, I now want some. It is actually quite refreshing in the morning, and does not seem as bad as most juices. Same with Cranberry, but not the Ocean Spray shit.

Because I'm too hardcore for vegetable juice,
I just had some V8 today and that shit tastes nasty. It's like drinking a much more liquid version tomato sauce. I have no why would they come up with that and I'll just stick with the more sugary fruit juice.

Kadayi

Banned
I don't drink juice very often simply because of the sugar content, but I am partial to cold-pressed apple juice from the fridge as that is outright delicious.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Yeah my teeth wont allow me to drink that crap anymore ....shit is trash I'd avoid all juice but prune

just blend some fruit

camelCase

Teenage version of me likes "Joose"

but yea like many said it's the marketing etc and it's terrible for you. In HS someone I know who was getting into football and before their first ever practice they ate a gigantic serving of cocopuffs and grape juice, and someone else on the team told me he was having diarrhea the entire time.

Cato

Banned
I try to get the "no sugar added" juice when possible. It's still way too sweet and delicious...

Jesus Christ. Those labels always makes me crack up.
As if fruit juice needs extra sugar added. They already contain the same or more sugar than even coca cola :)
(EDIT: I missed this, you mean there are actual fruit juices with extra sugar added? Jesus christ. That is madness.)

Apple juice : 10g sugar per 100g serving
Cola: 9g sugar per 100g serving
Orange Juice: 8g sugar per 100g serving.

But the winner is Grape Juice: 14g sugar per 100g serving, i.e. contains ~50% MORE sugar than cola.

I think the only reason why people drink juice, and think that juice is healthy is because marketing.
Something that has the same sugar content as coca cola is never healthy for you.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
I mean, not all juice is sugar laden, dude.

True, but Orange and Apple juice which is what most people drink (just see how much of the shelf space in the juice section at your supermarket is dedicated to these two fruit juices for proof)
contains an insane amount of sugar. Basically the same amount of sugar than just drinking Coca Cola instead.

Fnord

I stopped drinking fruit juice when I stooped and thought about how many pieces of fruit it would take to get a glassful of juice and then asking myself whether I would eat that many pieces of fruit in one sitting. I don't need that many calories from liquid.

It's Jeff

Banned
I stopped drinking fruit juice when I stooped and thought about how many pieces of fruit it would take to get a glassful of juice and then asking myself whether I would eat that many pieces of fruit in one sitting. I don't need that many calories from liquid.

It's a lot. I can't remember the name of it, but there's a documentary on Netflix I watched about a heavy fellow that lost weight and felt better after juicing, so I bought a nice juicer. I made fresh apple juice which is goddamn delicious but it was four to five apples for a single cup.

Top Bottom