• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people drink juice?

flagdaddy

My nephew and niece are picky eaters. My sister in law gives the two of them juice because they won't drink anything else - getting any milk in them is like pounding golf tees underneath their fingernails.

What about chocolate milk? Maybe try that and gradually reducing the amount of chocolate syrup / powder added until they’re conditioned enough for regular milk

Same with juice. Gradually dilute it with more and more water until they’re okay with water

Also I’m not a parent so I have no idea if either of those would really work

It's Jeff

Banned
What about chocolate milk? Maybe try that and gradually reducing the amount of chocolate syrup / powder added until they’re conditioned enough for regular milk

Same with juice. Gradually dilute it with more and more water until they’re okay with water

Also I’m not a parent so I have no idea if either of those would really work

No, that makes sense. I don't want to armchair quarterback my brother's kids. All things considered I'm sure I'd be a lousy parent.

foxdvd

Combination of taste...mistaken idea it is healthy...and the fact we are brainwashed as kids to drink it...

Nikodemos

The only fruit juice I drink on a semi-regular basis is fresh pomegranate juice I squeeze myself using one of those bar-style cast iron vice presses.

It's pretty much the only way I consume pomegranates, since they are annoyingly difficult to clean and I get red splats all over the kitchen whenever I try.

-Minsc-

Rarely have juice any more. Hardly get enough fruit either. At some point I switched over to mainly water. Sometimes I try to justify getting juice but I just can't.

So are we going to quantify what juices we are complaining about people drinking? there are a lot of terrible ones that use Apple Juice and sugar as filler, but some juices aren't actually bad for you.

My nephew and niece are picky eaters. My sister in law gives the two of them juice because they won't drink anything else - getting any milk in them is like pounding golf tees underneath their fingernails.

You get a little older, have a rough day and you reach for something you liked as a kid and you feel better. Prefer the Hostess cupcake myself when life is unfair, but I think there's a kernel of truth to it.
Milk is actually not better for anyone and we shouldn't be drinking it, it's not made for us to consume.

The only fruit juice I drink on a semi-regular basis is fresh pomegranate juice I squeeze myself using one of those bar-style cast iron vice presses.

It's pretty much the only way I consume pomegranates, since they are annoyingly difficult to clean and I get red splats all over the kitchen whenever I try.
I'm sure you've been asked, but do you try the trusted method of slicing it in half and then shaking it under water so all the florets come out? Or are you talking about de-seeding the florets themselves?

hivsteak

Apple Juice. Pour in glass. Stick in freezer until it is mostly frozen. Enjoy.

Anything that isn't water is a nice treat. I hate coffee and energy drinks. Soda and milk are good, but I avoid at all costs.

mekes

I’m on/off with juices and smoothies but I primarily do it for the appearance benefits. They get rid of my blemishes and make my skin and general appearance in my face at least, look much better. The longest I had them for was a month or so which was a few years back. I got 2 compliments on my skin from strangers which had never happened before.

JimboJones

Tastes nice also most juice come in low suger varieties.

Milk is actually not better for anyone and we shouldn't be drinking it, it's not made for us to consume.

I'm always confused by this line of reasoning, what is made us to consume?
It's just a source of protein,carbs and fats that we can drink, I mean unless your lactose intolerant then yeah avoid it but if your tolerant and you like the taste then drink up, nothing wrong with it.

It's Jeff

Banned
So are we going to quantify what juices we are complaining about people drinking? there are a lot of terrible ones that use Apple Juice and sugar as filler, but some juices aren't actually bad for you.

I'm sure you've been asked, but do you try the trusted method of slicing it in half and then shaking it under water so all the florets come out? Or are you talking about de-seeding the florets themselves?

Are you talking about cow's milk? I mean there is still milk sugar but you get protein, calcium, and fat in return... unless there's something else I'm missing about milk.

Are you talking about cow's milk? I mean there is still milk sugar but you get protein, calcium, and fat in return... unless there's something else I'm missing about milk.
Tastes nice also most juice come in low suger varieties.
I'm always confused by this line of reasoning, what is made us to consume?
It's just a source of protein,carbs and fats that we can drink, I mean unless your lactose intolerant then yeah avoid it but if your tolerant and you like the taste then drink up, nothing wrong with it.
Generally speaking, the milk created by any mammal is made specifically for that mammal. There are different tolerances of consuming another species milk, of course, but tis is one of the main reasons for lactose intolerance. Most of us are just more capable of processing the lactose.

The amount of protein is reasonable for volume of milk, but there are better sources of calcium than milk. We also don't absorb most of the calcium we get from milk, so it's kind of a waste. My statement was more that we extol the virtues of milk while condemning juices.

I do love me some cheese, though.

waxer

Is it strange that I don't really like eating most fruit. So I normally throw in a blender with a bit of water and sometimes spirulina.
So it's no worse than eating the fruit themselves and tastes about a billion times better than concentrate based bought juice imo.
Mostly I just stick to water unless drinking alcohol with dinner with guests.

JimboJones

Generally speaking, the milk created by any mammal is made specifically for that mammal. There are different tolerances of consuming another species milk, of course, but tis is one of the main reasons for lactose intolerance. Most of us are just more capable of processing the lactose.

The amount of protein is reasonable for volume of milk, but there are better sources of calcium than milk. We also don't absorb most of the calcium we get from milk, so it's kind of a waste. My statement was more that we extol the virtues of milk while condemning juices.

I do love me some cheese, though.

I get ya on the nonsense being pushed by the dairy industry, the health benefits are definitly questionable on the calcium front.
There is obviously a whole industry pushing it so there is definitely gonna be some exaggerations when promoting their products.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I started drinking a bit of unsweetened OJ again lately on doctor’s advice because I’m on this pain medication that has some unpleasant side effects.

Juice helps with the flow.

Just like anything. Fine in moderation.

thelawof4

There is nothing wrong with juice if it's directly pressed from the actual fruit and without any additives whatsoever. But even then it seems not healthy to drink a whole bottle of most juices.

Also went though a juice fad, until I realised I was getting like 2000 calories a week for nothing, better to just buy a bag of salad and a few fruits.

Codes 208

Because how else will I become Super Vegeta?

Push ups? Check.
Sit ups? Check.
Drink plenty of juice? Also check.

Top Bottom