• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do we still care about 60FPS?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why do we still talk about 60FPS all the time? I was trying to optimize a game on my PC to get from 55FPS to a steady 60FPS when I realized that I have a VRR display so why do I care specifically about a framerate that is irrelevant now? Why 60 and not 55 or 65? Majority on this forum have OLED displays that no doubt have VRR so why are we so fixated on an arbitrary figure?

PeteBull

If u dont see/feel difference dont do it, bro, i feel it right away so cant be helped, i rather take res/settings cut, turn on dlss but get that stable 60 no matter what, unless in cinematics, then w/e, but in any game that requires faster reaction time(so not turn based strategy/rpg) that stable 60 is minimum that it feels comfortable/smooth to me.

Topher

Gold Member
7j1iox.jpg

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
1. VRR aims to eliminate tearing. It won't make your 40fps game look like it's 60fps

2. 60fps is really the point where many start seeing diminishing returns but that's not the case for everyone. I can usually appreciate the difference up to 120fps. Beyond that, I can't really tell

3. Not everyone has a VRR display and not every game supports it

T4keD0wN

1. Different people, different displays, If your display works fine at 55 go ahead and enjoy it.
2. More choice > less choice
3. Youd get better response times at higher frequency.
4. Most displays VRR range doesnt go below 48.
5. Each displays performs differently at different refresh rates. You might have to change overdrive settings to achieve good response times.
6. You wont be able to use Black frame insertion at low refresh rates.
7. lower frametimes are better.

My monitor for example doesnt work properly at anything below 80hz. I paid extra for elmb sync so i want to use it, i am not going to change monitor settings when some game has a stupid fps limit.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Its matters for high action games and fps. It was ok not caring on PS4, but paying next gen consoles to still keep on the 30fps is moronic imo.

Banned
Why do we still talk about 60FPS all the time? I was trying to optimize a game on my PC to get from 55FPS to a steady 60FPS when I realized that I have a VRR display so why do I care specifically about a framerate that is irrelevant now? Why 60 and not 55 or 65? Majority on this forum have OLED displays that no doubt have VRR so why are we so fixated on an arbitrary figure?

because most people don't have VRR screens yet.

in a perfect world where every TV has VRR and 120hz, 60fps would indeed be completely arbitrary, but sadly that's not where we are yet.

in a perfect world no game would have a framerate lock and would just rely on VRR and an equivalent feature to Nvidia's FastSync

Last edited:
Tbh I'm content with a 40fps/120hz mode in most games other than FPS, platformers and racing games. Really wish every dev would give us this option in their games if 60fps is not doable.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

I'd be perfectly happy with games built around 45-50fps, but VRR displays aren't that common yet so for now 60fps is the realistic target I guess.

Because it's good to have goals. Having a PC that can run the latest and greatest at 60fps means you have made it in life, and no number antagonistic laughing emojis on Neogaf can take that away from me.

A fixed 60fps standard is better than developers slippery sloping their way back down to 30fps.

And even 50fps is a noticeable difference which feels significantly worse and weird compared to 60.
Exactly. I think 60fps could could be some sweetspot for most. Sure higher framerate like 90fps is better but not that much better than 30fps to 60fps which is a significant improvement for most people.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Imagine thinking 30fps is better than 60fps+. Just kill me lol

I can not handle this bs. I'm sorry :messenger_unamused:
I'm not saying I want 30 FPS, but for people with VRR displays which is the majority on this forum why do we still care about 60FPS specifically? Why is that the bar that we can't go below and don't care if we go above?

Fbh

Because most people, specially on console, still use 60hz displays with no VRR.
Which means:
- Developers will continue to use 30 and 60 fps as an industry standard because a majority of their customers will play their games on a 60hz display
- 60 Fps is universally seen as a nice sweet spot because it will look good regardless of what type of display you have (60hz, 120hz, with or without VRR, etc)

Guilty_AI

Its just a metric. If you can run the game at a stable 40/50/55/69/whatever without feeling troubled so be it.

Even without VRR you can still run games fine with V-sync off, as long as you don't mind screen tearing.

Last edited:
with vrr, yup - 60fps is mostly an arbitrary number.

but 60fps is still a performance target because:
a) it's generally enough frames to make things feel pretty smooth
b) 60hz is the standard legacy refresh rate, so it's for people who dont have vrr

if everyone had vrr... a locked 57fps? sure, no problem.
locked 64 fps? good to go.
(only issue is low fps + oled vrr = flicker)

Kataploom

Gold Member
1. It's visually pleasing... Yes, framerate is graphics too for many of us

2. You can still notice the raise of input lag when the game goes below 60 if you're playing at above 70 more or less... It's specially noticable in fast paced games, slower games I can ignore it, specially if I lock framerates to 60, which reduced the noticeability... Some games I'll enjoy better at 70+ fps like Ghostwire Tokyo, which I'm currently playing

3. Cause motion resolution helps a lot with reactions, you'll have way more information at better framerates, doesn't matter to most people but if you got good enough reflexes you can take advantage of it

4. Because it looks pretty... Actually I see 30 fps games ugly, animations look stiff, you cannot appreciate the animation curve over the transformation properly, which makes the animations look wrong all over the place

Top Bottom