• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you love Hideo Kojima? (A Confessions Thread)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I can't stand him or his rabid fans who constantly praise him as some kind of gaming god.

The guy is an egomaniacal hack and if he disappeared from the video game industry it would be no big loss.

Kojima has made some great games, but I think he's overrated these days. He's gone Hollyweird over the last few years.

One thing that changed is he gradually lost an "anime" feel to his games.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, for as much they are "movie like" are also very, very anime, this only gets more obvious when you go further back to games like Policenauts and Snatcher.

But over the years his games have had more of a "western" feel with some of the Japanese sensibility lost.

Jon Neu

Banned
One thing that changed is he gradually lost an "anime" feel to his games.

Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, for as much they are "movie like" are also very, very anime, this only gets more obvious when you go further back to games like Policenauts and Snatcher.

But over the years his games have had more of a "western" feel with some of the Japanese sensibility lost.

Despite that, the trailers of Death Stranding feel pretty Evangelionish to me.

AlexxKidd

I'll share my reasons first:
  1. He's handsome
  2. He's cool
  3. He's hardworking
  4. He makes good games
  5. Scratch that, he makes great games.
  6. I love him

Glad to see you return from your ban in top form. Cheers my friend.

giphy.gif

flacopol

when I need to plug the joystick in the second port on my play station 1..... and read my saves , that 4 wall

Also I hope some day he makes Silent hill... or maybe death strand is silent hill ....

I don't.

He is a terrible writer who fails at even the most basic, rudimentary level when it comes to storytelling.

Anything he's done that even remotely approaches half decent as far as writing is concerned isn't even written solely by him, and it's gotten worse and worse over the years without someone to keep his pretentious bullshit in check.

Last edited:
Thats your opinion, and thats your good right but i strongly disagree with you,. Also a lot of gamers do, even a lot of developers who have seen his work firsthand.

They are all praising what he doing with Dead Stranding.

rəddəM

I don't.™
First thought, conceptualized, created, designed and directed by Hideo Kojima®.
Hideo Kojima® by Hideo Kojima®.
But I don't hate him either.
Edit: By Hideo Kojima®.

Last edited:
Thats your opinion, and thats your good right but i strongly disagree with you,. Also a lot of gamers do, even a lot of developers who have seen his work firsthand.

They are all praising what he doing with Dead Stranding.
People being praised doesn't mean anything about the quality of their work.

Critics gave FFXV an average metacritic of about 81% and MGS5 an average metacritic of about 93%, but they're still absolutely dreadful, unfinished, poorly constructed games.

"People agree with my personal opinion" does not make your opinion (or even mine) any more valid. Praise and popularity has absolutely no correlation with quality.

If you want to argue for the quality of his work, I'm more than happy to engage with you in that discussion, but what other people think means literally nothing in regards to whether his work is good or not.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I don't. The only games he's known for are Metal Gear. The only Metal Gear game I've been able to play through was Metal Gear Solid 3, and I felt like it had way too many cutscenes that were way too long.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I don't necessarily LOVE Kojima...but I don't hate him. I enjoy his games and I honestly feel his spectacle is unique and interesting. You appreciate it for what it is because it's rare in the industry. You have people the likes of Itagaki (of Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive fame), Jaffe and Randy Pitchford who are very vocal with the public but none of them embody the mystery that Kojima does.

So yea, Kojima's ok in my book. I think he very talented...don't know what some of you are smokin.

Mochilador

I appreciate his work on the MGS series but I don't think he's a god or everything that he makes is perfection.
I don't even care about Death Stranding.

thelodius

Banned
He is literally a genius on par with the likes of Shakespeare, Mozart and Leonardo da Vinci. He is the visionary of our generation.

Ding_Dong007

Neo Member
I'll share my reasons first:
  1. He's handsome
  2. He's cool
  3. He's hardworking
  4. He makes good games
  5. Scratch that, he makes great games.
  6. I love him
I like him because he explores the medium. He pushes boundaries and messes with it in ways you wouldn't expect and that no one else really does.
If you give him a stealth game he doesn't just say "right, sneak about don't get spotted". He makes thinks "wouldn't it be cool if..."
I think many enjoy how much of a maverick Kojima is, and how nothing seems to be able to stand in the way of his rampant creativity. Konami thought they were doing him over, but in the end he's the one still chuckling away.

Nymphae

Banned
Honestly the guy hasn't even been on my radar since like.....MGS4? Hasn't wowed me with anything since then. I love what he did with MGS 1-3, and 4 is ok I guess.

Banned
his games aren't afraid to be games, which is weird considering how much of a movie nut he is.

the MGS series was always proud to be video games. hell even the characters ingame tell you to press the "crouch button"... you have to switch controller ports to beat a boss... you had to look up a frequency on the damn box... in MGS4 the characters acknowledge they are running on a PS3

nowadays so many developers seem to be ashamed that they make videogames, the most disgusting example was when some dipshit from the God of War 4 team said their game doesn't have a "video game script" but instead has a "real script".

if I was the intervier I would have asked him why his ass even bothers making games then if video game scrips are seemingly beneath him and to gtfo!

Last edited:
People being praised doesn't mean anything about the quality of their work.

Critics gave FFXV an average metacritic of about 81% and MGS5 an average metacritic of about 93%, but they're still absolutely dreadful, unfinished, poorly constructed games.

"People agree with my personal opinion" does not make your opinion (or even mine) any more valid. Praise and popularity has absolutely no correlation with quality.

If you want to argue for the quality of his work, I'm more than happy to engage with you in that discussion, but what other people think means literally nothing in regards to whether his work is good or not.

Than whe have nothing to discus, you have your opinion, and i have mine. I disagree with you, you disagree with me. Whe can go on and on but there are no signs that whe will agree with eachother.

I i think he is a genius, you dont, end of story. 😉

Why do I love him? Because he loves me. Unconditionally. Warts and all. And I do have a lot of warts, mostly of the genital variety, and sometimes they ooze... But I'll save that for another thread.

Top Bottom