• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Final Fantasy VI get so much love?

Pureauthor said:
I dunno... if a game is only good relative to a certain time period, I'd say that prevents it from being a truly amazing game overall, wouldn't it?

Something like, say, Tetris is timeless.
If a game is amazing right now, I'm not gonna wait 10 years to see if it's still amazing.

LiK

jstevenson said:
The opening sequence of the game and the first 5 hours are absolutely incredible. The way it followed people, the better graphics giving us more emotion and more detailed characters, the story and interaction, the music!!!!

The way it created a very linear RPG, as well as a very open-ended one.

FFVI did SO SO much right. Still my favorite cast and most memorable cast of characters in a Final Fantasy game.

i didn't know you're a FF fan *hi5*

Aeana

I probably wouldn't like it as much if I played it for the first time today. My tastes have changed to the point that I really don't like nonlinearity anymore. I think I would hate the world of ruin. I don't have issues when I replay it since I have an order I do stuff in and I'm very familiar... but yeah.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cause I waited so long for it, looking at the tiny screenshots in the magazines.

I had played FFIV a lot from a friend's borrowed copy which made me a FF fan. Then I finally got the game. I started playing one Friday evening, around 5pm, and didn't stop playing until like 3am (got to the part where you must prepare to fight Kefka with your whole group).

Got up the next morning at 7am, and continued playing all day. I felt really immersed in this game like no other games I had played before.

Good times:)

The interesting thing is that for me, one of my favorite parts was when you get to see the villain win and blow up the world. Far too often stories took a saccharin turn, I genuinely wasn't expecting that when I first saw it.

And the game had some real heart to it, for what it was.

Special shout out for the music, which is something you'll see mentioned a lot here, I'm sure.

Also, why do you yearn to live, knowing all things must die?

Kefka. Badass.

SomeDude

Banned
This page does a great job explaining why the game is so great: http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/2008/04/1-years-of-final-fantasy-vi/

Like many console RPGs, FFVI revolves around the accumulation of weapons and experience, along with interaction with NPCs, but it was the first to include substantial plot complexity and character development, paving the way for Final Fantasy to become a huge franchise. The game blends story, music, dialogue, interactivity, and artwork in a way that inspired millions and still holds a strong following. Final Fantasy VI is widely considered one of the best RPGs ever made.

Instead of most swords & sorcery stories which occur in a stereotypical medieval or fantasy setting, FFVI occurs in a steampunk background similar to the late Second Industrial Revolution, with electricity, railroads, factories, robotics, and airships. The world in the game is culturally sophisticated, with art galleries, opera houses, and auctions. The story is set 1000 years after a catastrophic war, the War of the Magi. Prior to the war, mankind had similar levels of technology to the present, and it is implied that it took civilization 1000 years to recover from its self-destructive actions. The primary goal of the protagonists in the story is to avert a repeat of this same war.

My only issue with this game really, is with Kefka.

Maybe it was a case of hype backlash [I think I heard about how great Kefka was prior to playing it], or maybe it was because I found the huge cast of characters much more interesting than him, but I always felt that he was kinda lacking, despite him "succeeding" in his plans. I'll give him credit for getting along with his plans than most villains, but even so, it didn't really impress me for some reason by the time it happened. I was a lot more concerned what was going to happen to the main party than anything. Perhaps I found him to a bit... I dunno, over the top? Honestly, he felt like more like a sideboss at times more than anything.

It's not like I need massive development to enjoy my villains or anything, but eh.

I didn't really enjoy the game much when I first played it but I think if I replayed it now I might enjoy it more, considering that I know what it was I really enjoyed about the game.

...I still prefer FFV though.

Shirokun said:
Well, I won't answer your initial question because you seem to understand what it is people like about it.

As for your frustrations with the "fetch-quest" second half, I can't really agree. First off, you can actually(IIRC) go to the final level once you retrieve the air-ship, so you don't actually have to get all of the characters if you choose not to(or if you let some of them die).

Secondly, the second half is not some giant retread of the game. The
world was drastically altered
, and it's reflected as such. There's some really great stuff to be had, some nice levels, and some really good character development. If you feel like it's a chore, then so be it, but it sounds like you've made an assumption about the final half of the game without giving it a fair swing.

The funny thing is that I grew up playing games early enough that I was in my teens when it came out (and my dad bought it for me for my birthday), I loved it, I still like it, but it's worn thin on me over the years.

It is by no means a bad game, but I don't enjoy the WoR nearly as much as I do the WoB. The past few times I've tried to play through the game again, SNES, GBA, PSX, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I would get to the WoR and just couldn't deal with the tedium of going through a bunch of overly long dungeons for characters I had little to no attachment to. Terra/Tina, Sabin/Mash, Celes and Edgar were the only characters I ever kept in my party whenever I had access to them until WoR, then I had to hunt down the rest to stand any chance of going through the final dungeon unless I went overboard with leveling and building stats for Celes, Edgar and Setzer.

Long story, short: anyone having played any of the more to the point FF games (FFIV, FFIX to an extent, FFVII) already before playing VI likely won't enjoy it as much as when we first played it when it was released. It has gotten stale over time and suffers from too many veggies in the soup.

Psi

Pureauthor said:
I dunno... if a game is only good relative to a certain time period, I'd say that prevents it from being a truly amazing game overall, wouldn't it?

Something like, say, Tetris is timeless.

Well I would say that games like Baldur's Gate or the original Resident Evil have mechanics that have aged poorly but are still amazing games. Tetris is timeless because it is extremely basic.

ghibli99 said:
I disagree. I beat it for the first time in 2003, and it still ranks at the top of the FF heap.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Wrong. I played the PS1 version in 2001, fell in love within minutes.

But imagine playing it during the SNES era as opposed to the industry today. I can't imagine having the same experience as I did when I played it when it first came out compared to today. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I understand why many people would refer to FFVI as a great classic--it was a great game, after all.

What I *don't* understand is how they can level the same amount of compliment to Chrono Trigger.

Just my opinion, of course.

For me, it was a solid experience. It had a lot of interesting characters with unique mechanics (Sabin with his fighting game style command inputs for Blitzes was probably the most unique for me), it was long, the story was cool, and the magic learning mechanic was neat. I loved hunting the dragons in the world of ruin, loved figuring out the cult tower, etc. I was in the habit of maxing out all the party members magic rosters, so everyone knew every spell.. I'd played through at least 3 times in my day, even after encountering bugs that got me stuck after 6+ hours and needing to reset my save to start entirely over...

However, I find that I don't personally place it upon the pedestal that others seem to have reserved for it. I'd probably put it in the top half or so of FF games, but even nostalgia can't raise it to the top for me.

Not every game is meant to be loved by everyone?

It's Ok for the OP to not like the game.

But many people disagree with him... and that's OK.

The world moves on.

I had the gba version and couldn't get past the first fight with the fighter dude and you had to put in this street fighter esque button sequence...

so yeah....up until that part it was a good game..but fuck if I know what I'm supposed to do there.

GhaleonQ

Characters: Final Fantasy VI is not a Japanese kids animated show. It has no obligation to have 1 brash leader, 1 goofy joker, 1 uptight disciplinarian, and 1 peaceful caretaker. Ensemble casts and austere characters are well-established forms that don't really need justification.

Encounter rate: ?

World Of Ruin: You should have at least checked to see if it's a fetch quest. It isn't. It's also incredibly innovative.

You basically dislike most of what makes the game interesting. It's fine to like really good traditional stuff (Chrono Trigger), but it's not like Final Fantasy VI is some avant garde half-successful experiment. It just innovates extraordinarily well. Everyone should be able to handle that level of creativity, so I'd say it's bad that you gave up without trying it. You ought to try it again, because it's not so obtuse to prevent anyone from "getting it."

PokéKong

It's one of the greatest JRPGs ever made, but there's really not much to it. It has a lot of memorable moments, but mostly for me it's the music, the Espers, the world ends halfway through the game, and most of all, the monster sprites:

19%20-%20Atma%20Weapon.gif
14%20-%20Number%20128-1.gif

Enuo.gif
11%20-%20Ultros.gif

Behemoth.gif
Hoover.gif

FFVI-lastboss_us.gif

Solune said:
Professor Beef, as a regular of many fighting game threads I thought you a better man than this!

FFVI is one of the pinnacles of RPGs in general. Best FF soundtrack ever, incredible environments for it's time and has aged well. And it does a good job fleshing out alot of the character's stories. Highlights are Aria de Mezzo Carattere, Figaro brothers, I could go on but really it's just a fantastic game. Tastes may differ but if you see it mentioned often, there's a reason for it.

Now when people mention FFVIII as their favorite game, I have to stifle a laugh.

Bingo

My only problem with the game is towards the very, very end of it. Everyone starts learning everything. I personally don't think my fighters should be throwing Cure and Ultima spells around. In that regard I thought FFX got it right - some flexibility, but actually getting characters to do stuff like that is more difficult.

The soundtrack is fantastic, the characters are well-fleshed out and memorable. It is kind of like DQ4 - since there is less of a main protagonist, you care more about the other characters' stories. The difficulty is about right. Each character has unique strengths and weaknesses (until the end game when the Espers start making people more interchangeable).

The bad guy winning and the Celes/Cid fish thing (which the OP hated...), the opera house scene and music - lot of memorable moments and parts of the game.

Boogiepop

Easily the best FF game, loved how the characters actually FEEL different, something they seem to have been breeding out of FF games (haven't played XIII, but good god, it hardly mattered at all which character you were using in XII). And I say this not having played it till the GBA version came out.
Though I'd say in general it could use a visual overhaul one way or another, as a number of the scenes felt unfortunately stiffer than they should have due to the sprites, IIRC.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
NotebookJ2 said:
My only issue with this game really, is with Kefka.

Maybe it was a case of hype backlash [I think I heard about how great Kefka was prior to playing it], or maybe it was because I found the huge cast of characters much more interesting than him, but I always felt that he was kinda lacking, despite him "succeeding" in his plans. I'll give him credit for getting along with his plans than most villains, but even so, it didn't really impress me for some reason by the time it happened. I was a lot more concerned what was going to happen to the main party than anything. Perhaps I found him to a bit... I dunno, over the top? Honestly, he felt like more like a sideboss at times more than anything.

It's not like I need massive development to enjoy my villains or anything, but eh.

I didn't really enjoy the game much when I first played it but I think if I replayed it now I might enjoy it more, considering that I know what it was I really enjoyed about the game.

...I still prefer FFV though.
Really? I found Kefka's simplicity very attractive. I've gotten so tired of horribly overwrought villains with complex ideologies and tormented backstories and possibilities of redemption who transform into giant techno-angel things for the final battle alone. Having a main villain who was just sadistically insane, who knows exactly what he wants, and who actually gets it was awesome.

snesfreak

Banned
Because it's an amazing game and the last truly good Final Fantasy game on the best console ever.
/completelunbiasedopinion
It's been mentioned already but you don't actually have to get all the characters back, I always do when I play it though. The music's amazing, the ending is one of the best ever.
Other posters have said it better than I can.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Knux-Future said:
I had the gba version and couldn't get past the first fight with the fighter dude and you had to put in this street fighter esque button sequence...

so yeah....up until that part it was a good game..but fuck if I know what I'm supposed to do there.

I couldn't get past that fight either, had to get a friend of mine to do it for me :lol

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh Beef, you just opened a can of worms. :lol
Aw, it's alright if you don't like it. You're still cool with me.

Before I proceed, I played FFVI when I was 15-16 with a SNES copy, and it was way after it was released and after I had played every other FF up to FFX... and it's one of my favourite FFs tied with FFIX, FFV and FFX-2. (Tactics and XII are excluded for now.)

-Music is one of the best soundtracks Uematsu ever composed. The entire Opera scene, Dancing Mad, Serpent's Trench, Coin Song and The Magic House are among my favourites on the OST (with even more I haven't even mentioned).

-Characterization was well done, particularly during the World of Ruin portion of the game, where getting characters back and doing their sidequests open up more chapters into their individual stories.

-Kefka is one of the best villains I've encountered (after Luca Blight, of course). He got what he wanted. He wanted to see the world burn and hear hundreds scream in unison. Also, he had some of the best Woolsey lines in the game (including hate x 10).

-The dungeon designs were fun and the puzzles were fun to go through. The environments were lush and green when they had to be. Zozo was rainy and dreary, emphasizing its focus as a town without rules. Overall the backgrounds, character art and enemy art were very well done. The spritework as well--wasn't this the first time Square used one expressive sprite for both battle and field?

-YOU CAN SUPLEX A TRAIN.

worldrevolution said:
It's also a game where your family dies, or your lover dies, or where you even try to commit suicide. These kind of ideas and themes just aren't in your everyday game, especially not treated so maturely like they are in FF6, and especially not in that age of gaming.
This as well.

Edit: I found the encounter rate to be very reasonable, btw. There have been some games I've played where I got an encounter every 2-3 steps, so FFVI was refreshing.

Willy105 said:
I would call it (alongside FFIX and FFV) as the definitive Final Fantasy.
Fixed for me, personally. :)

I forget a lot of the specifics of the story and much of the gameplay mechanics, but the atmosphere was off the charts, the game was unforgettable. The vaguely steampunk aesthetic, the melancholy music, the finely detailed pixel art that leaves just enough to the imagination, tasteful use of color, the ornate enemy sprites... it's such a beautiful game.

Forgot to say it has the best final dungeon out of any jrpgs I have ever played.

3 parties of four taking down a madman hiding in a huge tower.
I still can't believe nothing has topped that since 1994...

Kagari said:
Oh boy, here we go... keep it clean, folks.
That's not what I wanted to see when I checked for replies. :lol

Psi said:
That's the problem. A game like FFVI needs to be experienced during its time to fully appreciate it. In the SNES days it was glorious.
I don't believe that. I didn't play Chrono Trigger until years after its release, and I still think it's fantastic.

Big One said:
Why would you complain about the amount of party members when you haven't even gotten them all yet?
If you're talking about how I didn't get Gogo/yeti guy, those were the only ones I was missing. Not to mention that I put barely any time into leveling Setzer at all, so he was more of a burden to me once I was able to get moving. I would've rather the game chop the playable roster in half.

Pureauthor said:
And the gameplay... I don't remember anything about the gameplay system that stood out as particularly fantastic.

Also the Opera scene didn't do anything for me.
I liked the Esper system, but it made having such a huge roster a bit pointless.

And I only remember the opera because of Ultros. :3

DrForester said:
Lets start with your fourteen characters bit.

I'd argue that those 14 characters (minus a few like Gogo, Umaro and Mog) are all far more developed characters than most of the characters in other Final Fantasy games. They all have well written backgrounds and motivations that fit within the world the game takes place. They all fit, no one seems unnecessary or out of place within the game.

Next, the music. The music is just fantastic. It's not light heated it really establishes that this is a pretty bleak world, especially the world of run theme.

The villain. It's not some emo guy with mommy issues. he's a lot like the Joker in that he just wants to cause chaos. He's not looking to create a new world order, he just wants everything to die. Much like the Joker, it works very well.

Also had a great magic mechanic where everyone could learn magic if you wanted.
I have no problems with how (most) of the cast was developed. I'd agree with you (and the others) about the music, but the only pieces I can recall clearly are the battle tracks. It has been a year though.

As for your villain critique, I don't have a single bad thing to say about Kefka or how he was written. I thought he was hilarious at the right times, and downright monstrous when the time called for it. He was a great villain. It almost sounds like you're making me sound like I don't prefer him, but I could be looking into your comment too deeply.

DragonKnight said:
If you don't like RPGs with well fleshed out party members then Chrono Cross is the game for you.
Oh you.

tearsofash

Vanish + X-zone, opera, kefka, world of ruin, amazing airships, Esper lore, shadow, ghost train, ultros, and the veldt lopped onto each other made this game memorable enough for me when I first played it on PSone (skipped the snes version because I hated the cover art, yeah I was a shallow kid).

Doubt I'd have the patience to run through it again but I really enjoyed it when I first played it.

Deadly

The music was great. I enjoyed the characters. Awesome villain. Shadow. Going from World of Balance to World of Ruin (yeah I know FFVII did that too). And I rather enjoy the battle system (equip an esper to learn it's skills)

Two themes I still remember since I first played it maybe what 10 years ago?
Terra's Theme
Searching for Friends

Krowley

I'm replaying this again for the first time in many many years. I've had a bit of trouble re-adjusting to certain old-school elements, but I haven't made it deep enough to really assess the game yet.

Right now, the story is in a bit of a lull (right before the opera scene) and I know I've got a ton of game left to play. So far, it's still really fun, but it's not totally blowing my mind like it once did, or at least not quite as frequently as it once did. I think that may change a little bit later.

Psi

Professor Beef said:
I don't believe that. I didn't play Chrono Trigger until years after its release, and I still think it's fantastic.

That's because Chrono Trigger exists on an entirely different plane of existence that few JRPGs have had glimpses of.

Davidion

Everyone here has said all that needs to be said about the game, but I'll add one more thing. It's not just the fantastic soundtrack, solid battle system, memorable characters, epic setups, or even the fact that all of it is done beautifully under the limitations of the time better than so many experiences that come after with better technology. What makes it all click is how it's all weaved together and framed within the overwhelming theme of the struggle to put back together something broken. It's elegant, simple, and so subtle that you'll seldomly hear people describing it as such, yet it's undeniable.

Is it flawless? No. But there's a reason why it's loved as much as it is.

Also, train suplex, T-rex suplex.

As a poor, Genesis-only-owning kid I was so damn jealous of SNES owners back in the day. FFIII(VI) looked like a painting come to life compared to say Phantasy Star IV. I think PSIV was under-rated at the time, mainly because it came out around the same time. I don't know why I was a Sega fanboy at the time. I would drool over FFII and FFIII screen shots. People sometimes forget that JRPG's were still kind of niche back then, so only the absolute best of the best, genre defining ones like FFVI were localized.

Top Bottom