• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does Tekken 7 look like shit?

thelastword

Banned
Are we there yet OP?

tekken6_02.jpg

I've been waiting since that E3 trailer prior to PS3's launch...…..That's since 2006....

Btw: Namco was the most bombastic for visuals from third party in the PS2 days, I would put them next to Sony's first party for visuals back then.....Remember that grass field in Tekken 5, you remember the water and clothing in Tekken 4 and some of the physics elements, or even Tekken Tag Tournament or how about Tekken 3 on PS1......I have not seen visuals as great from Namco since we entered the HD era, they were kings in the non-hd era for visuals......Soul Calibur on DC and Soul Blade on PS1 including the Tekken games mentioned are still some of the most impressive games on the PS1, PS2, DC era....

MK11 is proof that you can have a graphically detailed game with all bells and whistles and keep the gameplay at 60 fps. So this excuse "oh we want it to be 60fps", its 2 characters max on the map,m with barely destructible terrain unless you count the low poly ground debris that just disappears after it breaks. As Im getting older now I see how certain people approach their games for example teh japanese. Most of the time they make over complicated menus with triple confirming your choice, having 5 windows to reach the most basic command etc. And also going for this low res option because they still think this is the PS3 era.

Seems its not xboner x enhanced, so it is just running natively at 720p. Glad I didn't install it, I almost did yesterday when I was binging on game pass.

As for why the game runs like ass, necessitating such resolutions, it's because it is probably the studios first foray with unreal engine 4. Noobs just threw all the shinies on without knowing what they were doing. The visuals do not justify the performance sacrifices.

Last edited:
It's not just the resolution thats bad either. They downgraded the ambient occlusion and depth of field during intros and outros.

Last edited:

Froschi

I really don't care about the resolution as long as the game plays fine. Which it does.

What really pisses me off though is that each round takes about 30 seconds to load (on a regular Xbox One). I still can't wrap my head around the fact that someone in the Tekken 7 dev team saw that and said "Yeah, that's okay. It's four to five times longer than in any other game of the series but people are going to love it. It's the gift of time, after all!"

Dante83

Banned
What I find surprising is how many people never gave namco shit about abandoning the xbox one x enhancements. I have it on the X, and it looks horrible on my 4K TV. The load times are bad as well. I am guessing the game didn't sell enough on the X for namco to care, and not many people voiced out their opinions on it.

nkarafo

Even on a PC the game still looks like it has the same Japanime dolls fighting with the same animations in the same backgrounds. Japanese 3D fighting games are stuck in the early 00's arcades presentation.

MK11 seems like the only one that looks like a current gen fighting game, though even that has some very stiff animations. Apparently you can't have a realistic moving fighting game without removing all the fun from it.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
MK11 is proof that you can have a graphically detailed game with all bells and whistles and keep the gameplay at 60 fps. So this excuse "oh we want it to be 60fps", its 2 characters max on the map,m with barely destructible terrain unless you count the low poly ground debris that just disappears after it breaks. As Im getting older now I see how certain people approach their games for example teh japanese. Most of the time they make over complicated menus with triple confirming your choice, having 5 windows to reach the most basic command etc. And also going for this low res option because they still think this is the PS3 era.

Lol I love both games but LOL at comparing Tekken 7 to MK11

Tekken 7 is so far ahead, it's not even funny

They went for low res because it has to work on Xbox One. They didnt bother patching it, because I assume sales were low af.

Last edited:
I think one of the reasons 2d fighters generally look better than 3d is possibly because 3d fighters seem more difficult, complicated and costly to develop. I could be totally wrong, but that could be one reason why 3d fighters are so rare nowadays as well.

Then again, I’m sure the budget for the NRS fighters is probably much higher than Tekken 7 and SC6 combined as well. Seems like most fighters now are developed with a shoestring budget unfortunately.

They went for low res because it has to work on Xbox One. They didnt bother patching it, because I assume sales were low af.

Im not really sure what you are trying to say here. Did I compare gameplay or the amount of graphics you can put into a fighting game without compromising 60fps? Also, MK11 came out on the Xbox too...if MK11 can work flawleslly on the ONE, why is T7 struggling? T7 doesnt need a patch, it looked outdated even on day one. No 4K patch can fix that, they just went with the arcade machine mentality without utilising the power of the consoles.

Aggelos

I don't think they went the extra mile in regards to PS4Pro and Xbox One X - both for Tekken 7 and SC6. I think the same goes for Ace Combat 7, into the bargain.

For this gen, and talking about Namco games, you should be thankful if you can get a steady (non-dynamic) 1080p out of PS4Pro and Xbox One X.
They don't seem to have pushed the envelope far enough, since the advent of PS4Pro and Xbox One X in the market.

Last edited:

cireza

On One X play Dead or Alive 6, game is gorgeous and loading times are super short. Team Ninja has a great development team, and yes Soul Calibur and Tekken are ugly af, and Tekken has horrible loading times. Who wants to support this shit honestly ?

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned

It is like battle of shit with turd, while crap, dung are cheering on.

The whole fighting game genre didn't evolve since Tekken 3 era. Not only they didn't evolve but they actually regressed. Tekken 3 had interesting single player content where you earned new fighters and CGIs by finishing each person arcade mode, earn ball mode, tekken force etc. Tekken 7 ? Nah we esports or something now, don't need anything that some costumes for real money.

Meanwhile arc systems introduced literally 3D intro 2D games, story mode for every game with actual stories, acting, really expensive training mode teaching you aspects of combat from newb to pro. It felt like like spending 60$ for fighting game was worth it. And that was just Guilty Gear. There is Blazblue which is totaly new 2D fighting game which have separate story, really expensive story mode plenty of new interesting characters etc. And now they make DBZ games which are again completely new thing with their own mechanics.

Even nintendo which makes smash for just casuals knows how to make proper single player game where there is something to do in game other than just fighting 1vs1.

In last 2 decades (yes 2 decades) it feels like there is arcsys/nintendo and dinosaurs like Tekken who only trive because people who got into them 20 years ago still live. I really wish that Tekken devs would just start new series and rework everything from ground up. I really want to barf when i see jin doing same exact same spin flying kick since Tekken 3 released 22 years ago.

And MK since we are talking about it actually did more than Tekken and rest on gameplay aspect. They at least tried something new with each version. But they stil lhave dinosaur mentality and they just can't get away from those clunky animations because "people got used to them". They should cleanly redo all animations and be done with it.

MDSLKTR

Tekken 7 on pc shines, wouldn't touch the console versions with a stick. You know what looks like shit on any platform tho? Soul calibur 6. It's like it was made somewhere in Harada's basement.

People forget that Tekken 7 is really a 2014/2015 game with minor visual improvements. So of course it's going to look old in some aspects.

What I find surprising is how many people never gave namco shit about abandoning the xbox one x enhancements. I have it on the X, and it looks horrible on my 4K TV. The load times are bad as well. I am guessing the game didn't sell enough on the X for namco to care, and not many people voiced out their opinions on it.
I was wondering the same thing. Was thinking I was the only one who cared. Like why aren't picketing and marching. Harada said something about the unreal enginebeing to hard to update to get it running at 4k, but I'm sure he could get it running at 1080p with improved graphics.

GymWolf

All 3d fighting games looks a gen behind except maybe mk11.

Yeah even ufc3 is barely better than fight night champions on old gen.

Strange because they have to only render 2 pg and a location, never understood why they are not the best looking game out there.

All 3d fighting games looks a gen behind except maybe mk11.

Yeah even ufc3 is barely better than fight night champions on old gen.

Strange because they have to only render 2 pg and a location, never understood why they are not the best looking game out there.
Because fight night made money. Who the fuck bought the ea ufc games?

Aggelos

For 2019's Ace Combat 7, base Xbox One runs at 720p, whereas base PS4 972p.
PS4Pro and Xbox One X top out at 1080p
Can't be helped with Namco games....

PC comes to the rescue, though...

Last edited:
Namco, scrap that old ass engine and hire new motion capture martial artists. Make a new generation Tekken that will blow our asses out. You can do this. The engine will be 30 FKING YEARS OLD SOON!

Last edited:

Helios

Nah, I don't want hyper realism in Tekken game or any Fighting for that matter and animation in MK 11 really, really bad in my opinion, I don't want any fighting to be anything like MK11.
Since when does MK have hyper realism?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Since when does MK have hyper realism?
I’m mostly talking the visuals and I personally don’t want to see realistic visuals in games like Tekken or Soulcalibur, they also very fun to watch in EVO or other tournament matches because there is nice follow to their animations while MK11’s in-game animation is stiff and really awkward.

Aidah

It came out before One X, and they didn't bother enhancing it for X after it came out just like many other games.

SC6 is enhanced for X.

Last edited:
Top Bottom