• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't extra PS3 controllers come with USB cables?

Jonnyram said:
That's not generous. The first thing you see when you turn the machine on is "Please connect a controller with the USB cable and press the PS button". But yeah, I now have one cable for three devices.

Don't you have any USB cables from other devices? (MP3 players, digicams) I use the one from my digicam with the PSP.

The Faceless Master said:
you must be buying the wrong printers...

so buying a charge cable and battery pak is worse than buying another controller when the battery dies?
I worked retail for a few years and printers specifically don't come with cables so the store can make more money.
It was always fun taking out the electonic gun that was tied to the store's system getting the info on an HP printer:
Price..................$299.99
Cost to store.......$275
then walking over a couple isles and hitting the cables:
Price..................$29.99
Cost to store.......$0.75

Raistlin

Wait ... so it is confirmed that you can only put sound out of 1 output type?

That does suck balls.

Sony is going to need to make a firmware update for this (if possible) ... or it is not going to work with a lot of peoples' systems.

I'm in the group of people that have an HDMI TV ... but do not as yet have a receiver/pre-pro that supports HDMI audio. I'm guessing that that is a rather large segment of the gaming community.

If I want the ability to chose between playing games with just my TV's sound (late night, etc.) ... and my home theater ...

... I'm going to have to use the XMB to manually change the audio output each time!?!?

LAME ... :(

john tv

Farore said:
When you say "AV MULTI cable"... are you talking about regular composite cables?
Sorry, that's a special cable that (I think) is only compatible with Sony televisions. And maybe in Japan only?

medrew

speculawyer said:
Because you don't need one for each controller!

Do the math: Charge_time < 3 X Battery_Play_Time

Ahh, I assume the biggest problem arises when you are playing multi-player at your house and more than one controller starts to have its battery run down. I don't think hot-swapping the usb cable in order to keep a charge for the controllers during games is going to be much fun :(

To answer this thread's original question (in my opinion), it's because USB cables cost more money for Sony. And a lot of consumer electronics these days do not include the proper cables so that cable manufacturers can continue to rape the public with the outrageous prices of USB, component, HDMI, Ethernet, etc. cables. They figure that the public is already used to this disgusting trend, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they didn't include a USB cable with each and every controller when they've already given all PS3 owners one.

Or, it could probably be because Sony doesn't want us charging multiple controllers at the same time because the PS3 would overheat and blow up or something. I'm guessing it's the first reason I came up with.

With that said, yeah, it's pretty dumb that a $50 controller doesn't come with it's own USB cable. But is it really that big of a deal? Nope, not really. Like most people on this thread, I've already got a spare one from my digital camera (that I also use for my PSP). Also, if you've got enough money to drop on a PS3 and extra controllers, buying USB cables (if you REALLY need them that badly) shouldn't be a big problem.

This is yet another reason for people to bitch and whine though. That's what people on the internet seem to do best, especially when it comes to bashing PS3.

Tieno

Crackerman16 said:
With that said, yeah, it's pretty dumb that a $50 controller doesn't come with it's own USB cable. But is it really that big of a deal? Nope, not really. Like most people on this thread, I've already got a spare one from my digital camera (that I also use for my PSP). Also, if you've got enough money to drop on a PS3 and extra controllers, buying USB cables (if you REALLY need them that badly) shouldn't be a big problem.
I see this argument often brought up in other debates like microtransactions and increasing price of games....ugh, I can't stand it. There's always that 'you can pay a little more, no big deal, it's not much'....That stuff adds up over time, you know.

Gantz

Banned
It's a ****ing usb cable. It costs like 2 cents to make. BTW every printer I have bought came with a USB cable.

I feel this is the way of the world for this generation, as it seems all three hardware makers have a "plan" for us all...

Sad but true...there's ALWAYS something else you have to buy.

Top Bottom