• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more people use Prepaid Wireless in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
You have to buy a $500 phone upfront. And your phone is useless in another network. Americans don't pay $500 for a phone.

clav

I've still got the $25 Virgin Mobile plan, but the LG Rumor Touch I'm using is garbage. Hopefully I'll be able to switch over to Republic Wireless for $19/month once they get to my beta wave.

Republic Wireless has kind of been dragging their feet in terms of adding subscribers and making software improvements for their handset(s).

Hopefully, they will get their act together by the end of the year.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
so Voyager Mobile actually launched last week, after that debacle during their original launch date...

Good, good. Anything to put heat on the big 3. Their pricing structures versus all of the amazing Prepaid options are ridiculous and once these things take hold, if the contract players don't start adjusting, they are going to bleed tens of millions of customers.

Soybean

You have to buy a $500 phone upfront. And your phone is useless in another network. Americans don't pay $500 for a phone.
Is it any more useless than a locked phone on any other carrier? Depending on your needs that large upfront cost could get made up in monthly savings rather quickly.

tino

Banned
Is it any more useless than a locked phone on any other carrier? Depending on your needs that large upfront cost could get made up in monthly savings rather quickly.

If you unlock an att iphone, you can use it in the rest of the world and on Tmobile. You can't unlock a CDMA phone. Why dont use just buy an att iphone and use it on Straight Talk?

Possibly a dumb question, but how do I choose the best contract-free carrier for my area in terms of coverage and call quality? Say I want to choose Virgin or Boost - which one is the best for my area?

Possibly a dumb question, but how do I choose the best contract-free carrier for my area in terms of coverage and call quality? Say I want to choose Virgin or Boost - which one is the best for my area?

check coverage maps. ask people. check the return policy of the carrier. it's usually 14-31 days and there may be restocking fees involved.

numble

If you unlock an att iphone, you can use it in the rest of the world and on Tmobile. You can't unlock a CDMA phone. Why dont use just buy an att iphone and use it on Straight Talk?
What? IPhones are CDMA+GSM phones. Sprint iPhones initially came GSM SIM-unlocked (now after 60 days of service). China Telecom CDMA iPhones are GSM SIM unlocked.

tino

Banned
What? IPhones are CDMA+GSM phones. Sprint iPhones initially came GSM SIM-unlocked (now after 60 days of service). China Telecom CDMA iPhones are GSM SIM unlocked.

Can you actually use the Sprint iPhone as a GSM phone? Do you need to sim unlock it and does it run on ATT 3G? This is a serious question. I know it won't work on TMo 3G (but neither does the ATT version).

numble

Can you actually use the Sprint iPhone as a GSM phone? Do you need to sim unlock it and does it run on ATT and more importantly TMobile 3G? This is a serious question.
They've always run on TMobile 2G, I guess TMobile says that some places are getting refarmed to support 3G for iPhone, so it depends on the city:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356522

Sprint iPhones initially came SIM-unlocked. I think you need to now call them and they will unlock it if you say you're traveling internationally. I'm not sure if it's 60 days. I know a lot of Chinese people were buying them at launch to sell in China:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163545/sprint.html

Lkr

Are you talking about the walmart plan? Yeah you can. As long as it's prepaid, you can use callingmart refill card. Just buy the $30 refill card.

They give out promotion discount before every holiday. I usually go here to check discount code. For example, they have 5% discount right now until June 5th.

All non-tmobile phone will only run on 2G speed (for now). You should either buy the unlocked Galaxy Nexus or buy a cheap TMobile MyTouch 4G or Sidekick 4G on ebay. It's a hardware limitation.

i went to the callingmart website but i can't find a refill for the $30/mo with 100min/unlimited text/5GB data :s

quaere

Just find out the carrier behind the brand.

Verizon
AT&T
Sprint
T-Mobile
Cricket
MetroPCS
US Cellular

These are the only actual networks of any relevance in the US. There are others, but they are extremely small. Any prepaid provider actually uses one of the above. Virgin and Boost are both Sprint.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
i went to the callingmart website but i can't find a refill for the $30/mo with 100min/unlimited text/5GB data :s
tino already told you what to do, but believe me, it doesn't make a difference what the plan or the refill card is called. You just need to load $30 into your account; the method (pre-paid card, credit card payment, whatever) is irrelevant.

This is the one you want: http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=265

Just select the $30 version. I buy this one every month for use with that plan with no issues whatsoever.

rozay

Banned
iPhone 4S are all dual mode CDMA/GSM phones so this isn't a really valid argument.

Wait, how are they selling the iPhone 4 if there was never a sprint version? Is this not running on CDMA?

Lkr

tino already told you what to do, but believe me, it doesn't make a difference what the plan or the refill card is called. You just need to load $30 into your account; the method (pre-paid card, credit card payment, whatever) is irrelevant.

This is the one you want: http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=265

Just select the $30 version. I buy this one every month for use with that plan with no issues whatsoever.

ohhh gotcha. i really didn't understand what was meant when i first read it

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

numble

iPhone 4S are all dual mode CDMA/GSM phones so this isn't a really valid argument.

Wait, how are they selling the iPhone 4 if there was never a sprint version? Is this not running on CDMA?

Sprint and Verizon now sell the iPhone 4 for $99 on contract. The free on-contract iPhone 3GS is exclusive to AT&T.

Lnza6.png

rando14

Yeah I'm kinda in the same boat. Checked in at local Radio Shack, they don't have it.

Still debating whether to upgrade to the Evo and dish out $300 and switch to the $35 plan, or to jump to Tmobile and dish out $400 for a Nexus and $30 plan.

Lkr

Yeah, a lot of the aspects of this plan can be a bit confusing. I would check out this thread on Slickdeals if you need more info — it was pretty helpful to me before I switched from AT&T, and it's still pretty active: http://slickdeals.net/f/3377172-T-M...t-5GB-Data-100-Voice-Mins-New-Activation-Only

coverage seems to be pretty good where i live. i assume the https issue has been fixed since android phones work fine now? i wish i could unlock my old sony ericsson so i could at least test the coverage in my area though to be sure

tino

Banned
They've always run on TMobile 2G, I guess TMobile says that some places are getting refarmed to support 3G for iPhone, so it depends on the city:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1356522

Sprint iPhones initially came SIM-unlocked. I think you need to now call them and they will unlock it if you say you're traveling internationally. I'm not sure if it's 60 days. I know a lot of Chinese people were buying them at launch to sell in China:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1163545/sprint.html

OK to review all the iPhone on prepaid options for US cheapass:

Best all around
Straight Talk + ATT 3GS/s/4s
$45 unlimited talk data; easy out of contact unlock method with 1 call to ATT.

Best for low voice user
Walmart TMo + unlocked ATT iPhones
$30 5GB data +100 min. You only get edge speed (for now)

Best for low data user
Page Plus + Verizon iPhones
0.04/min + 0.004/kb (or something equally hilarious, just pretend their data don't exist)

New option:
Crikey + CDMA iPhone
$55 unlimited.
I have major reservation on this option. My reason is that sim unlocking an iPhone is a fucking dark art, you can't rely on it. Unless Crikey come out and say you can request sim unlock to use the GSM radio after a few months I would no recommend it.

I don't even know if the CDMA iPhone is hardware identical to the GSM one. Even if it is, Apple can still turn it into a CDMA phone via iTunes. I upgrade my wife's 3GS and the unofficial sim unlock was gone. You can't rely on any unofficial sim unlock method.

vatstep

coverage seems to be pretty good where i live. i assume the https issue has been fixed since android phones work fine now? i wish i could unlock my old sony ericsson so i could at least test the coverage in my area though to be sure
Yeah, the https issue was only for, like, the first day the plan was available. Also, as for testing, I bought an $18 Nokia dumbphone from Walmart.com and activated the plan using that. Once I knew T-Mobile was good in my area, I bought a new phone and just popped that SIM into it.

Lkr

Yeah, the https issue was only for, like, the first day the plan was available. Also, as for testing, I bought an $18 Nokia dumbphone from Walmart.com and activated the plan using that. Once I knew T-Mobile was good in my area, I bought a new phone and just popped that SIM into it.

what phone are you using? i'll probably end up settling for the galaxy nexus despite the high price

Kagami

OK to review all the iPhone on prepaid options for US cheapass:

Best all around
Straight Talk + ATT 3GS/s/4s
$45 unlimited talk data; easy out of contact unlock method with 1 call to ATT.

Best for low voice user
Walmart TMo + unlocked ATT iPhones
$30 5GB data +100 min. You only get edge speed (for now)

Best for low data user
Page Plus + Verizon iPhones
0.04/min + 0.004/kb (or something equally hilarious, just pretend their data don't exist)

New option:
Crikey + CDMA iPhone
$55 unlimited.
I have major reservation on this option. My reason is that sim unlocking an iPhone is a fucking dark art, you can't rely on it. Unless Crikey come out and say you can request sim unlock to use the GSM radio after a few months I would no recommend it.

I don't even know if the CDMA iPhone is hardware identical to the GSM one. Even if it is, Apple can still turn it into a CDMA phone via iTunes. I upgrade my wife's 3GS and the unofficial sim unlock was gone. You can't rely on any unofficial sim unlock method.

AT&T GoPhone
$25 250 minutes/unlimited text or $50 for unlimited voice/unlimited text.
Data must be purchased separately.
Data packages: $5/50MB, $15/200MB, $25/1GB

Data packages are not specifically monthly; you can add them to your "data balance" at any time. Data expires in 30 days, but the data balance is preserved if you buy any package within 30 days of the previous package purchase. So you can for example buy the $25/1GB package once, then buy the $5 one every 30 days to preserve the leftover.

For low-data (when off wi-fi) users it can be a cheap option that gives 3G speeds at around Tmobile price ($25 + $5 w/data rollover = $30/month), with 2.5 times the voice minutes and AT&T coverage area.
Maybe compare with Page Plus, value-wise?

AT&T also has a 10cents/minute, no monthly cost, no mobile data allowed plan for wi-fi-only users.

rando14

Holy shit -- iPhone with unlimited data for $30/month! And it's on the Verizon network, isn't it?

I would be all over this if you could take a secondhand iPhone over to their network, rather than pony up $400-500 for a new handset. It's a shame none of the cheap GSM prepaid services are supporting the iPhone.

Sprint network.

tino

Banned
Holy shit -- iPhone with unlimited data for $30/month! And it's on the Verizon network, isn't it?

I would be all over this if you could take a secondhand iPhone over to their network, rather than pony up $400-500 for a new handset. It's a shame none of the cheap GSM prepaid services are supporting the iPhone.

Try to read a few posts up and you will learn how to use used iPhone on cheap prepaid networks.

border

Try to read a few posts up and you will learn how to use used iPhone on cheap prepaid networks.

The only cheap GSM provider that supports an iPhone at 3G speed is StraightTalk, but they are 50% more expensive than Virgin. It's hard to call AT&T GoPhone cheap when the price for a single GB of data is $25.

Lkr

does cricket really only have two plans? i'm looking for a cheap texting only type service where i can send/receive 100 texts a month on a phone for a family member, but it seems like their minimum is $25/month and i need minutes

I'm looking at switching to Tmobile prepaid but have a few questions. Right now the only thing keeping me from switching is that my gf has an Iphone 4s and we do facetime and Imessage quite a bit. I can get around facetime using different apps but is there an alternative to imsg? She gets pretty bad reception where she is at but has wifi so imsg has worked out great.

Is there any way an android user can text an iphone user and have that go through data on both ends?

MiniKelly

I'm looking at switching to Tmobile prepaid but have a few questions.

Is there any way an android user can text an iphone user and have that go through data on both ends?

Yes. My wife and I use Google voice to text each other.
You can install Google voice app or have Google text message forward to your email.

Branduil

My current piece-of-junk GoPhone is dying on me, so I need a new phone.

I don't use my phone a lot, but I need it to be reliable. Web browsing and apps would be a plus, but the main thing is that it's cheap, reliable, and prepaid. Any suggestions?

My current piece-of-junk GoPhone is dying on me, so I need a new phone.

I don't use my phone a lot, but I need it to be reliable. Web browsing and apps would be a plus, but the main thing is that it's cheap, reliable, and prepaid. Any suggestions?

well, if you want to stick with AT&T's GoPhone service, the LG Thrive is an old, but inexpensive and solid Android device. don't expect to play Temple Run on it, and Flash isn't supported (not officially by Adobe anyway) but you can get your twitter and facebook on.

numble

New option:
Crikey + CDMA iPhone
$55 unlimited.

Cricket says SIM is unlocked for international use:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-06-17/pegoraro-iphone-cricket-virgin/55619450/1

Virgin Mobile has the HTC One V ($199.99), Apple iPhone 4 ($549.99) and Apple iPhone 4S ($649.99) up on their website now.

the iPhones also have free overnight shipping if you order by 11AM on Friday.
i guess if you order today, you'll get it tomorrow, but i have no idea what that means if you order on a Friday... will they do Saturday delivery or something?!

This smartphone has a lightning-quick 1-GHz processor and is powered by Android™ 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) so you can surf, stream, share and download faster than ever. Everything you hear on your phone - from music and videos to games and YouTube - is rich and authentic with Beats Audio™.

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) with access to Google Play™ Store
  • Screen Size: 3.7" Super LCD 2 Touchscreen
  • Resolution: 800 x 480 (WVGA)
  • 5MP Camera with Auto Focus, Smart LED flash, and BSI sensor (for better low-light captures)
  • 720p HD video recording
  • Dedicated imaging chip
  • Capture a photo in the midst of recording HD video
  • Continuous shooting mode captures multiple snapshots
  • Gmail™, Google Talk™, Google+
  • Google Maps™, Google™ Search, Google Latitude™
  • Places, Email, Memo, Calendar
  • Voice Actions for Android
  • MP3 Media Player
  • Calculator
  • Wifi, GPS & Wireless Web
  • Speakerphone
  • Bluetooth® 3.0
  • Internal Memory: 512MB RAM / 4GB ROM
  • Expandable Memory: up to 32GB
  • 1GHzMHz Processor
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • TTY Support
  • HAC Rating: M4/T4
  • Wireless Emergency Alert Capable

DIMENSIONS:
  • Height: 4.7"
  • Width: 2.35"
  • Depth: 0.36"
  • 4.25 oz
ORHzr.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Good to know the option of getting a $650 phone is there for me :lol

All I use my phone for is basically GPS, GAF, and on rare occasions streaming video(games).

What would you guys recommend for a tourist visiting for 3 weeks?
I'm just looking to use some data to find motels and whatnot while on the road.
So I do need to have coverage outside of cities.

that's a tough one... i guess one of T-Mobile's prepaid plans would be best, but you won't get 3G data if your phone doesn't support T-Mobile's frequency bands. an AT&T based Straight Talk sim would be great, but i don't think they're sold in stores and have to be bought online. AT&T prepaid plans sold directly by them are more costly, but they're available in-store. this is all assuming that you're planning to just use your GSM phone and get a local SIM in the USA.

$30 Tmobile Plan, 5GB

Probably the cheapest option for you. Don't have to worry about overages and paying outrageous rates for data. Coverage may be an issue, but Tmobile seems to have fair coverage around main roads/highways. You can even use your own GSM device (unlocked of course, and you'd probably be stuck on EDGE due to their uncommon 3G frequencies). Anything else is either CDMA (have to buy the phone) or you'd need to order the sim online and have it delivered. If you're not against buying a handset you can buy a cheap Android Virgin Mobile handset. The Venture is crap, but its only $80 and you'd only be using it for 3 weeks, so it'd probably do fine. AT&T Gophone is another option but it's at least $50 for 1GB of data.

^What the faceless master said pretty much.

that's a tough one... i guess one of T-Mobile's prepaid plans would be best, but you won't get 3G data if your phone doesn't support T-Mobile's frequency bands. an AT&T based Straight Talk sim would be great, but i don't think they're sold in stores and have to be bought online. AT&T prepaid plans sold directly by them are more costly, but they're available in-store. this is all assuming that you're planning to just use your GSM phone and get a local SIM in the USA.

Don't all modern phones support T-Mobile's frequency bands? I do know that my phone supports the gsm bands that are used the USA. Ordering something only is not a problem, I'm visiting a friend who currently lives in in the USA and has an home adress :).
And getting a sim and putting it in my phone and tethering it to a laptop is what I'm planning to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom