• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more people use Prepaid Wireless in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So my phone finally is on its last legs. It won't ring or vibrate on incoming messages or calls anymore. Ordered a Triumph. going to go with the $35/mo Virgin plan. Hope it does twitch ok.
how can they continue to release devices that have worse specs than the Triumph?
That's what I was looking at.
I feel educated!

On the flipside if I actually start using my smartphone as a smart phone I'll probably step up to a Samsung Galaxy S II which seems to be available used for ~$300 and pickup a straight talk plan for $45 a month. That sound like a good idea?

To keep it as the flagship and go for the people who are ok with midrange

yeah but they have too many phones with near the same specs already and the Triumph has some issues (like reception and GPS) that affect that flagship status!

soemthing like the LG Marquee is the same price on boost, similar specs, but much better build quality and reliability.

Ok so I passed this by some people and I looked at CNET.

No wireless tethering is harsh. No Flash is harsh. 600Mhz I heard is not great for video playback?

If I'm getting a no contract phone I can use with Virgin Mobile I need:
Tethering
Ability to watch Flash streams (Twitch.TV)
Ability to watch those streams well

*Additionally, how would one go about activating a used CDMA phone?

Any help is appreciated. Price is a big point for me as well.

I just wanted to say that the Official Twitch.TV app is now out for Android

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Battery life is not great right now, doesn't seem to make it though the whole day (Triumph).
Any tips?

I already set brightness to minimum. After I root it, should I put on any power sacings apps or something?

Battery life is not great right now, doesn't seem to make it though the whole day (Triumph).
Any tips?

I already set brightness to minimum. After I root it, should I put on any power sacings apps or something?

Make sure to turn off background Anto-Sync in settings. My battery on my LG Optimus didn't even last a day with that setting turned on.

Any tips?

the first few days, you'll be using your new toy a lot more often than later. see if the battery is still not lasting all day in a week...

HTC EVO V 4G: An EVO 3D for Virgin Mobile

We've learned from a reliable source that Virgin Mobile will begin carrying the nearly year-old HTC EVO 3D later this year, offering it up as the HTC EVO V 4G. Tipped to be available in both grey as well as the plum shade once exclusive to Best Buy, the rebranded EVO 3D will join the recently-revealed HTC One V on Virgin, creating quite a compelling portfolio of HTC Android devices on the prepaid carrier.

Despite getting somewhat long in the tooth, the EVO 3D still offers a very attractive feature set. Besides being one of only two auto-stereoscopic (glasses-free) 3D handsets available in the US, it is also capable of 3D still and video capture thanks to a pair of five-megapixel cameras. With its qHD resolution and dual-core 1.2GHz processor, the phone still holds its own against many modern mid-range and even some high-end devices. Also remaining from the Sprint EVO will be 4G hotspot tethering capabilities.

No word yet on either price nor release date.

I'm not sure about their "reliable source", but if this is true it is good news.

wario

man, i bet straighttalk and simplemoble are getting tons of new activations in the new couple weeks with the $399 galaxy nexus.

border

Just a heads up:

AT&T will no longer let you buy data packages unless you are on a plan with a monthly rate minimum ($25/month). If you have a smartphone, DO NOT add any money to your balance until you comprehend this and are okay with its implications. For many users this will mean that you end up paying 2X-3X more for your phone. The impact it has on you largely depends on how much data you use.

This is pretty terrible compared to the deal they previously had. I think AT&T has forgotten that their prepaid customers ARE not on a 2-year contract. They can't just treat us like dirt and expect to keep collecting our money.

I'm probably going to look into T-Mobile's $30/month 100min+Unlimited Data plan if I can get my iPhone 4 unlocked.....if I can't do that then I guess I'm stuck using H20 or StraightTalk.

I think all this means that there is now NO Pay-As-You-Go plan on any United States carrier.....at least not any plans that offer data packages.

Fox Mulder

oh goddamn, I'm gonna have to bite on that google nexus.

Tmobile has a black hole in their coverage here, so I'll have to look into straight talk.

Kagami

Just a heads up:

AT&T will no longer let you buy data packages unless you are on a plan with a monthly rate minimum ($25/month). If you have a smartphone, DO NOT add any money to your balance until you comprehend this and are okay with its implications. For many users this will mean that you end up paying 2X-3X more for your phone. The impact it has on you largely depends on how much data you use.

This is pretty terrible compared to the deal they previously had. I think AT&T has forgotten that their prepaid customers ARE not on a 2-year contract. They can't just treat us like dirt and expect to keep collecting our money.

I'm probably going to look into T-Mobile's $30/month 100min+Unlimited Data plan if I can get my iPhone 4 unlocked.....if I can't do that then I guess I'm stuck using H20 or StraightTalk.

I think all this means that there is now NO Pay-As-You-Go plan on any United States carrier.....at least not any plans that offer data packages.
Welp, there goes the point of being on AT&T.
At the moment it's still showing me able to buy data packages, though.
Wonder if it simply hasn't kicked in yet or if they've grandfathered the old plans.
I see they've increased the megabytes-per-dollar considerably on the data packages.

border

It looks like you can still buy data Feature Packages, but you can't. Next to each selectionThere is the "!" logo that indicates a conflict, and if you try and click on it you'll be told that customers must be on their $25/month or $50/month plan to purchase a data package.

The upside is that now you get 1GB for $25, whereas you used to only get 500MB for $25. You also get unlimited texting, rather than paying $5/200SMS or $10/1000SMS. I think you can still roll-over your unused data if you reload with smaller packages.

It's by no means a terrible deal, but a pretty sharp increase for those of us that could load up $50 and go for 2-3 months without ever having to reload again. Now it's basically $25 a month for minutes/messages and at my usage rate probably about $7-8/month for data. So $32-35 per month is not terrible, and certainly better than a contract plan. For contract customers, AT&T charges $20 just for unlimited texts....you don't even get minutes with that.

It annoys me that I'm paying for a lot of minutes and messages I won't use, but there aren't a lot of cheaper options for iPhone users. I can switch to T-Mobile's 100 minutes + Unlimited Data plan, but then I'd be dealing with 2G speeds. I'm tempted to switch just on principle, but I don't like having to jailbreak/unlock my phone. I've got a month to decide either way, as I have to use up the rest of my AT&T balance.

Kagami

It looks like you can still buy data Feature Packages, but you can't. Next to each selectionThere is the "!" logo that indicates a conflic
Yeah, for some reason the "!" isn't on my data packages. (Smartphone 10cents/minute plan)

lGwiv.png

Tested it
16fBW.png

border

I don't know what to say then -- either they changed it in the last 12-18 hours or you completely lucked out on some kind of glitch. I could not buy a data package at all.

During this morning's Q1 earnings call, Sprint CEO Dan Hesse announced that Virgin Mobile and Boost Mobile -- two prepaid names it manages -- both will have Wimax devices later this year.
http://www.androidcentral.com/boost-mobile-virgin-mobile-getting-wimax-devices

fuel to the fire of Virgin getting the EVO 3D and Boost getting something awesome too...

also

A new text message is currently being sent out to Virgin Mobile USA customers with what may be an in important announcement if you're looking towards picking up a new device from them anytime soon.
VMFreeMsg Starting 5/27/12, new smartphones will be subject to current plan rates. This will apply if you switch phones. Go to http://msg4u.us/src for info.
New smartphones are any phones launching in May 2012 and thereafter.
http://www.androidcentral.com/virgi...athered-plan-options-new-smartphone-purchases

more fuel to the fire of Virgin getting the EVO 3D...

this is not a joke. i swear.

VERIZON WIRELESS ANNOUNCES NEW PREPAID PLANS

Unlimited Talk, Text and 1 GB of Data Smartphone Plan for $80 per Month

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. - Verizon Wireless today announced the availability of a new prepaid plan beginning May 1, offering unlimited talk and text messaging, as well as 1 GB of data for $80 per month. This monthly plan, available on the prepaid Samsung Illusion™, provides customers with an affordable, flexible option to take advantage of the nation’s largest, most reliable 3G network without the commitment of an annual contract. The Samsung Illusion prepaid package will be available in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online at www.verizonwireless.com for $169.99. In the coming weeks, the Samsung Illusion prepaid will also be available at Best Buy®, Target®, RadioShack and Walmart.

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Android 2.3, Gingerbread
  • User Interface–Android 2.3 + Touchwiz
  • Display
  • 3.5” 320 x 480 HVGA touch screen display
  • Unique, curved glass display
  • 3.0MP camera with camcorder
  • HTML Browser with Adobe Flash
  • Wi–Fi Capable (802.11 a/b/g/n) and Wi–Fi Direct Available
  • Gmail, Google Talk, YouTube™, Google Search, Google Maps, Latitude, Places, Navigation, Android Market, Books
  • Next Generation Messaging –Group Text
  • Speech to Text Feature
  • Mobile IM
  • Visual Voice Mail Capable
  • DLNA via AllShare–share photos, videos and music with other DLNA compatible devices
  • Widgets (Accuweather.com, Analog clock, Digital clock, Dual clock, Program Monitor)
  • QuickOffice
  • Bluetooth® v3.0 HS
  • 3G Mobile Hotspot Capable (Supports up to 5 devices)
  • 2GB internal memory (actual formatted capacity is less)
  • 2GB pre–installed microSD™ card in device
  • Supports up to 32GB microSD card (sold separately)
  • GPS/E911
  • TTY Compatible
  • Hearing Aid Compatibility = M4

DIMENSIONS:
  • Height: 4.51"
  • Width: 2.37"
  • Depth: 0.47"
  • 4.02 oz

S5DDW.jpg

tino

Banned
Lol, same price as Sprint's unlimited plan, minus the unlimited data. Amazing they get away with this.

Verizon don't want to do prepaid business, they think it is bottom feeder with no profit. This is more lip service they are paying. They leave the actual prepaid service to Sprint and TMobile.

Is there a prepaid service that has a plan where the minutes don't expire AND has free incoming calls?

does any US wireless carrier (prepaid or postpaid) offer free incoming calls period?

as far as minutes not expiring, they always expire, some just have longer expiration dates, like some offer a year if you buy a big bundle of prepaid minutes.

beat

does any US wireless carrier (prepaid or postpaid) offer free incoming calls period?

as far as minutes not expiring, they always expire, some just have longer expiration dates, like some offer a year if you buy a big bundle of prepaid minutes.
T-mobile's minutes last a year if you get to gold status ($100 worth of minutes bought, I think) and whatever minutes you have roll over for another year with any purchase of new minutes.

I talk 30 min/month or less, but data matters to me, so I picked a different T-mobile plan: $30/month for 5 GB of data, unlimited texting (I think), and 100 min/month. No voice minute rollover. (and I use a GSM Galaxy Nexus I bought in Canada.)

Javaman

A bit of good news, foxfi works like a champ to enable teathering on my Virgin mobile LG slider. I rarely use it but it comes in handy at times.

HTC EVO V 4G: An EVO 3D for Virgin Mobile

I'm not sure about their "reliable source", but if this is true it is good news.

confirmed!

Virgin Mobile USA Introduces 4G with No-Contract Plans Starting as Low as $35 per Month

First 4G smartphone on Beyond Talk is the HTC EVO™ V 4G, part of the award-winning EVO family

WARREN, N.J., May 08, 2012 – Virgin Mobile USA continues to demonstrate how it’s answering to A Higher Calling with the speed of 4G, by offering customers who prefer a no-contract option the fully loaded HTC EVO™ V 4G on Virgin Mobile Beyond Talk monthly plans. The data-centric offers start at $35 per month for unlimited data and messaging. HTC EVO V 4G will be available for $299.99 beginning May 31.

Virgin Mobile USA Introduces 4G Speed with the HTC EVO V

As Sir Richard Branson states in his video manifesto for A Higher Calling, “Why pay for minutes when it’s unlimited data you really want?” Now customers will be able to enjoy unlimited 4G data where available and messaging on an iconic Android™-powered device, all for just $35/month. Virgin Mobile USA was recently “Highest Ranked Customer Service Performance among Non-Contract Wireless Providers” by J.D. Power and Associates.

“‘Higher Calling’ means we continue to look for ways to give our customers the best products possible at a great price, and we know our hyper-connected Beyond Talk customers will appreciate the real affordability paired with the innovative technology of the HTC EVO,” said Jeff Auman, vice president for Virgin Mobile USA. “You just can’t beat the value of EVO V 4G with plans starting at just $35 per month.”

The HTC EVO™ V 4G will operate on Sprint’s 3G and 4G (WiMAX) network and be available beginning on May 31 at VirginMobileUSA.com. It will then be available in June at major retailers and at select independent dealers nationwide.

Going Beyond Talk

The HTC EVO V 4G strengthens Virgin Mobile USA’s Android-powered smartphone lineup by adding such features as Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich and HTC Sense 3.6 user interface.

Proving that customers don’t have to sacrifice technology to choose a prepaid smartphone that keeps them connected, HTC EVO V 4G specifications also include:
  • Mobile hotspot capability - Connect up to five Wi-Fi devices
  • 5MP camera with video and 3D HD imaging, and 1.3MP front-facing camera
  • 4.3-inch qHD touchscreen
  • 1730mAh battery (up to six hours of talk time)
  • 1GB RAM/4GB ROM
  • External micro SD memory card slot up to 32GB (8GB card included)
  • HDMI and Bluetooth-capable

HTC EVO V 4G customers will enjoy Virgin Mobile USA Beyond Talk plans starting at just $35 a month for 300 minutes of voice with unlimited messaging and data. And the mobile hotspot on the HTC EVO V 4G can be added for this device on any Beyond Talk plan for an additional $15 per month.

Sprint 4G (WiMAX) is currently available to 120 million people in 71 markets across the country with average upload speeds of between 3-6 Mbps, with bursts of more than 10 Mbps.

5iT1Y.jpg

also, i see a Visual Voicemail app on the home screen... it looks exactly like the Sprint app logo, only in Red/Black instead of Yellow/Blue...

Boost got screwed!

Boost Mobile Pairs the Speed of 4G and Android Monthly Unlimited for as Low as $40 with HTC EVO Design 4G

IRIVINE, Calif., – May 2, 2012 – Boost Mobile, ranked Highest in Purchase Experience among Non-Contract Wireless Providers by J.D. Power and Associates, today announced the May 31 release of HTC EVO Design 4G™, a member of the award-winning EVO family. This robust Android smartphone will operate on Sprint’s 3G and 4G (WiMAX) networks, bringing 4G speeds to Boost Mobile customers in 71 markets across the country with average upload speeds between 3-6 Mbps with bursts of more than 10 Mbps.

This will be the first device that pairs the speed of 4G with the value of Boost Mobile’s award-winning, no-contract $55 Android Monthly Unlimited plan with Shrinking Payments. For every six on-time payments, the cost of Boost Mobile’s Monthly Unlimited plan shrinks by $5, eventually getting down to as low as $40 a month for unlimited nationwide talk, text messaging, Web, email and calls to 411. Payments do not need to be consecutive to qualify for the next savings milestone.

HTC EVO Design 4G will be available on May 31 for $299.99 (excluding taxes) at Boost Mobile’s exclusive retail stores, select independent wireless dealer locations nationwide and at www.boostmobile.com with free shipping. It will be available in June at Best Buy, Radio Shack and Walmart.

“We are telling our customers to ‘Be Heard’ and not sacrifice technology or speed for value,” said Andre Smith, vice president-Boost Mobile. “HTC EVO Design is a strong match with Boost’s $55 Monthly Unlimited plan enabling our customers to enjoy the features of this robust device. With our shrinking monthly plans, customers will be able to enjoy an unlimited experience on an EVO device for as low as $40 a month – an industry first.”

Launching as a no-contract exclusive with Boost Mobile, HTC EVO Design 4G boasts many of the “must-have” features of its post-paid predecessors, including a 4-inch qHD capacitive touchscreen display, while sporting a slim, pocket-friendly aluminum unibody design. HTC EVO Design 4G combines the acclaimed HTC Sense™ experience with Android™ 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. Additional features include:
  • 1.2GHz processor
  • 5MP rear-facing camera/camcorder with flash and HD video recording and 1.3MP front-facing camera for video chat
  • Stereo Bluetooth
  • Visual Voicemail
  • Wi-Fi hotspot capable
  • External memory slot for up to 32GB (2GB card included.)

For the first time on Boost Mobile, this device will include Visual Voicemail, powered by Smith Micro. At no additional cost, users can listen to messages in their order of preference and manage them with a simple tap of the screen.

This is also the first Boost Mobile device enabled with built-in mobile hotspot functionality allowing up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices to share the 3G or 4G experience on the go with a laptop, camera, music player, game unit, video player, or any other Wi-Fi enabled device. Use of this feature requires an additional fee of $10 per month.

Later this year, in order to provide the best value and customer experience, Boost Mobile will move to reduce 3G/4G data speeds to 3G speeds of 256kbps when a customer’s data usage exceeds 2.5GB in a month. Customers who go over the 2.5GB threshold may experience slower page loads, file downloads and streaming media. Data speeds will restore to full 3G/4G speeds when a customer’s new monthly plan begins.

Boost Mobile will continue to provide unlimited data access without a contract, usage cap, overage or activation fees. Based on recent usage patterns, approximately 95 percent of Boost Mobile customers use less than 2.5GB of data usage per month and will not experience any difference in their experience. Boost Mobile is committed to ensuring an unlimited robust data experience and intends to maintain 3G data speeds of 256 Kbps even after surpassing 2.5GB in a given month.

ethBN.png

also, Visual Voicemail confirmed! at least for Boost...

tino

Banned
Sprint basically repackage the SERO plan as boost Mobile/virgin mobile and then pull the $10 extra trick again.

is it possible to dump the sense and go with stock ICS on virgin?

The news article on the verge says it has the 3d camera, but no 3d capable screen.

no idea if the bootloaders will unlockable via HTC, but surely there will be less official means...

all the other articles mention it has a 3D screen, seems to only be the Verge that says otherwise?

Sprint basically repackage the SERO plan as boost Mobile/virgin mobile and then pull the $10 extra trick again.

SERO has roaming, mobile to mobile, nights and weekends, etc though...

LG Optimus Elite coming to Virgin Mobile

reVx0.jpg

Shame that the Sprint ID crap has mades it's way on to Virgin Mobile now.

aaaannndddd....

This great-looking device is loaded with powerful features. Experience Android™ on a large 3.5" screen, tap to pay with Google Wallet™, and choose from hundreds of thousands of apps in Google Play™. All that, combined with Unlimited Data & Messaging, puts the Optimus Elite™ a cut above the common smartphone.

$149.99 on 05/15/2012

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Android 2.3 with access to Google Play Store™
  • Screen Size: 2.8" Touchscreen
  • NFC Tags & Google Wallet
  • Gmail™, Google Talk™, Google+ & Google™ Search
  • Picture Messaging
  • Places, Email & Memo
  • Voice Actions for Android
  • MP3 Media Player, Calculator & Calendar
  • 5MP Camera, LED FLash
  • Camcorder
  • EVDO Rev A and Wi-Fi Capable
  • Speakerphone
  • Bluetooth® 3.0
  • Internal Memory: 512MB / 4GB ROM
  • Expandable Memory: up to 32GB
  • 2GB SD Card included
  • QWERTY Keyboard
  • 800 MHz Processor
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • HAC Rating: M4/T4
  • Wireless Emergency Alert Capable

DIMENSIONS:
  • Height: 4.5"
  • Width: 2.47"
  • Depth: 0.39"
  • 4.25 oz

and how did i not spot that Voicemail app in the promo pic before now?

Blackhead

Redarse
Pay-per-unit appears to go MIA on AT&T for some iPhone users

Erica Sadun said:
In April, AT&T ended a policy of offering data feature packs to its lowest end Pay as You Go plans (specifically, the $1/day and the $0.10/minute plans). At that time, TUAW was told by an AT&T spokesperson that customers on those plans could still pay a pay-per-unit (PPU) rate for data, approximately a penny for 5Kb, if I have my numbers right.

Although most users would not welcome paying $1536 for a 750MB movie, PPU data would allow them to at least check their email on the go, albeit at a more expensive rate than they'd been used to.

Yesterday, TUAW started hearing that users were unable to access PPU data on their handsets. We are unsure if this is because users need to update their configuration profiles or if the PPU system itself is experiencing difficulties.

I personally tested on my 3GS handset with both 3G and Edge access (10c/minute GP01 plan) and was unable to access the Internet at all.

TUAW has contacted AT&T and asked for them to look into the matter. If and when they reply, I will update this post.
*smh*

border

Sucks for AT&T GoPhone, but who is really buying a smartphone just to check e-mail on the go?

PPU data was way too risky anyway. What happens if the Wifi signal you're using cuts out for 30 seconds and your phone switches to 3G when you're opening a web page or watching a video stream? All of a sudden you've just paid $10 for viewing a single web page. To be even remotely safe you'd have to be frequently toggling your data connection on and off. Just sounds like a big hassle.

I think I'm probably sticking with AT&T even after this whole debacle. Nothing else is cheaper besides T-Mobile, but I'm not interested in getting my iPhone stuck at 2G speed forever.

rozay

Banned
Sucks for AT&T GoPhone, but who is really buying a smartphone just to check e-mail on the go?

PPU data was way too risky anyway. What happens if the Wifi signal you're using cuts out for 30 seconds and your phone switches to 3G when you're opening a web page or watching a video stream? All of a sudden you've just paid $10 for viewing a single web page. To be even remotely safe you'd have to be frequently toggling your data connection on and off. Just sounds like a big hassle.

I think I'm probably sticking with AT&T even after this whole debacle. Nothing else is cheaper besides T-Mobile, but I'm not interested in getting my iPhone stuck at 2G speed forever.
isn't T-Mobile planning to switch their 1900mhz spectrum from 2G to 3G? You would get their high speeds in areas they've enabled it.

that starts on the 27th though, while this phone ships on the 15th... you may be able to have your cake and eat it too!

Could you give some details? A friend of mine is looking to upgrade from his Samsung Intercept and has the grandfathered rate. If he orders the EVO V before the 27th, will he be able to keep the old rate?

border

isn't T-Mobile planning to switch their 1900mhz spectrum from 2G to 3G? You would get their high speeds in areas they've enabled it.

From what I gather that switchover isn't going to happen for quite some time....T-Mobile claims by the end of 2012, but even that seems like too long to wait. My only fear is that they might kill the $30 Unlimited Data plan when the switchover actually occurs. I suppose we'll see.

Could you give some details? A friend of mine is looking to upgrade from his Samsung Intercept and has the grandfathered rate. If he orders the EVO V before the 27th, will he be able to keep the old rate?

it doesn't matter when you order. since it's prepaid, it would have to be activated before then... which won't happen since they won't be shipped by then.

tino

Banned
From what I gather that switchover isn't going to happen for quite some time....T-Mobile claims by the end of 2012, but even that seems like too long to wait. My only fear is that they might kill the $30 Unlimited Data plan when the switchover actually occurs. I suppose we'll see.

They just announce the cheap tablet data plans. I doubt they will kill the Walmart plan.

it doesn't matter when you order. since it's prepaid, it would have to be activated before then... which won't happen since they won't be shipped by then.

Just to be clear, if he activates the phone before the 27th he'll keep the old rate, but that's impossible because the phone isn't being sold until the 31st? So it is indeed impossible to keep the grandfathered rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom