• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more people use Prepaid Wireless in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I have a Cricket non-contractual phone. Unlimited minutes, texting and bad web browsing (on my phone at least). Downside is the CS treats you like crap, the store people treat you like crap, you cannot upgrade your phone unless you pay full price and if you can't pay on time, they turn you off right away - no extensions or grace periods.

I have a Cricket non-contractual phone. Unlimited minutes, texting and bad web browsing (on my phone at least). Downside is the CS treats you like crap, the store people treat you like crap, you cannot upgrade your phone unless you pay full price and if you can't pay on time, they turn you off right away - no extensions or grace periods.

that bolded part is how every prepaid carrier works.

Milly79

Not sure what you're talking about. First time a CS rep called me they told me if you notified them you could get a 7 day extension for $20 odd dollars.

tino

Banned
TMobile is a stupid company. Even back in the $2.99 web2go add-on days there were a lot of back doors to get around the data block. I am complelled to telll a TMo Prepaid story. I have never told this story before but here it goes. Back in the beginning of this year. I used an Android'd HD2 to run on T-Mobile to go. Since its a genuine TMo HD2 I get none of the MEID data blockage stuff for other TMo brand android phones.

I used the $1.5 unlimted web pass alot since a 24-hour period data pass basically let me use the web for almost 2 days if you time it right. And I was in no hurry to change to different prepaid carrier since $1.5 per day is pretty cheap. T-Mobile prepaid also has another back door that works. If you have a iPhone, or non-TMo Android phone, you can use a moderfied version of Opera Mini to get online for free. If you want to know the detail there is a thread on Howardforum/TMo Prepaid subforum. Since that thread has been sticky'd for years I get the impression that TMobile really don't care about you getting their 2G-speed port 80 data connection for free.

Anyway, I was using the Opera Mini back door and the $1.5 day pass on and off for my mobile data needs since the beginning of the year. Then one day in May, all of the sudden, I got unlimted data for free, for my TMo Prepaid account. This just happened. I have never seen anybody else report it. I didn't understand why it happen but it just happened. I got 3G speed unlimited data, worked on both my HD2 and flashed ATT Galaxy Tab. I was too affrid to jinx it so I never mentioned it to anyone online.

Anyway, I got the free ride up until T-Mobile changed its daypass to $2/$3 a day and changed the whole prepaid web portal. I got 4-5 months of free lunch out of it. It was so awesome! That's one of the reason I didn't sign up for Virgin Mobile's cheap $25 plan. Now that the free lunch is over, I have to start looking into Virgin Mobile again.

The reason that prompted me to tell this story is that it happened again today. I worked over time yesterday so I switched to the $3 day pass yesterday morning and switched back to Pay-As-You-Go last night 11pm. And what do you know. I checked my phone today the browsers are still all working. TMo thinks I am on PAYG and yet all my port 80 connections are working. I can't use apps like ebay, stocks or markets but hey beggers can't be choosers. Let's see how long this port 80 free lunch will last this time around.

Boost Mobile, ranked Highest in Customer Service Performance and Purchase Experience among Non-Contract Wireless Providers by J.D. Power and Associates1, and LG Mobile today announced the upcoming release of the sleek and stylish Android™ smartphone, LG Marquee™. LG Marquee, previously available only with a two-year contract, will now be paired with Boost Mobile’s award-winning, no-contract $55 Android Monthly Unlimited plan with Shrinkage, which includes unlimited nationwide talk, text messaging, Web, email and calls to 411.

LG Marquee, previously available only with a two-year contract, will now be paired with Boost Mobile's award-winning, no-contract $55 Android Monthly Unlimited plan with Shrinkage. This ultra-thin smartphone is only 0.36 inches thick, yet it packs an aggressive list of features that quickly make other no-contract Android phones last year’s news. The LG Marquee features an impressive 4-inch clear and bright 700-nit NOVA display. The 5-megapixel rear-facing camera and the 2-megapixel front-facing camera offer maximum versatility in creating and sharing photos or videos with family and friends. Equipped with a 1GHz processor and 4GB of internal storage, LG Marquee makes downloading, posting, commenting, watching and playing faster and easier than ever.

“We are thrilled to partner with LG to add one of the best-kept secrets in the Android smartphone category to Boost Mobile’s device family,” said Andre Smith, vice president-Boost Mobile. “The LG Marquee demonstrates the growing evolution of no-contract device options and pairs perfectly with Boost Mobile’s award-winning monthly plans where the longer you stay, the less you pay.”
LG Marquee features include:

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Android 2.3 with access to Android Market™
  • 4-inch clear and bright 700-nit NOVA touchscreen
  • Easy Access to Gmail™ and Google Talk™
  • 5MP rear-facing camera with 3x zoom and 720p video capability
  • 2MP front-facing camera
  • Wifi, GPS & Wireless Web
  • 1GHz Processor
  • 4GB of internal storage
  • Supports microSD® cards up to 32GB
  • Voice mail, caller ID, call waiting and three-way calling
  • Stereo Bluetooth® technology
  • Speakerphone with voice-activated dialing

DIMENSIONS:
  • Height: 4.80 " (122 mm)
  • Width: 2.52 " (64 mm)
  • Depth: 0.36 " (9 mm)
  • 3.95 oz (112 g)

lqJo6.png

Optimus 2x!

Walmart not playing!

also... Virgin Mobile data throttling details.

How will it work?
Starting March 23, 2012, if you use over 2.5GB of data in a month on your Beyond Talk Plan:
• Data speeds may be reduced to 256Kbps or below for the rest of your month.
• If data speeds are reduced, they will return to normal as soon as your next plan month starts.
• If you'd rather not wait for your new month to start, you can restart your plan immediately through My Account.

Kagami

Can I switch prepaid phones just by buying a new phone and switching out the sim card? or do i have to deactivate/reactivate?
Assuming you're using a phone that uses sim cards, and the new phone you're buying is from the same carrier or unlocked and with the right radio bands for data.

I got an AT&T GoPhone sim with a Nokia 2323 Classic a few years ago, and since then I've used it in a bunch of other phones; currently in a Samsung Galaxy Note.

tino

Banned
Got the Walmart $30 monthly 4G plan today.

What a pain to setup. Doing it online doesn't work. I had to call T-Mobile and the chick walk me through. She also asked for my activation numbers so obviously she did something to those numbers. So with her on the phone, I did the exact same activation steps over the tmobile.com and it worked.

On top of that, Walmart doesn't have the $30 refill card. So I had to buy the refill pin online. And with these kind of pin you have to in the middle of the activation process, call a 800 number to refill it. You can't copy and paste the pin over the website. So stupid. I start to think TMo intentionally make the activation so hard to prevent most of the population to get this plan.

I also had to buy a $30 phone. I took out the sim and it work fine on the HD2.

I also ported my number from Page+ to TMobile, and then to google. Now I can use my number with the $30 Walmart plan.

border

Why did you port your number to T-Mobile and then to Google?

Would T-Mobile not let you port a number to the new plan?

tino

Banned
Why did you port your number to T-Mobile and then to Google?

Would T-Mobile not let you port a number to the new plan?

Google only allow port in from 4 major carriers, so I have to port my number to T-Mo first before I port it to google.

The Walmart plan only allow new number. The only work around is setup the new plan first and then do a port-in. Or port your number to google.

Claude

Catalina's bitch
I've been using a LG Rumor Touch from Virgin Mobile for the past year and it's the first phone I haven't replaced yet. The lag is noticeably bad at moments, especially on websites. It's mostly used for texting though, so yay me.

Korey

Man, I really want to switch to a smartphone. The problem is that it's hard leaving my $15 a month prepaid plan on T-Mobile with my trusty Razr that has unlimited text and 10c/min voice.

So far, the cheapest options are:

1) Boost Mobile Pay As You Go plan - cheapest plan is $55/mo for Android Monthly Unlimited <- how is this even considered cheap?

2) Virgin Mobile - cheapest plan is $35/mo

Are there any other options like these?

Blackhead

Redarse
Man, I really want to switch to a smartphone. The problem is that it's hard leaving my $15 a month prepaid plan on T-Mobile with my trusty Razr that has unlimited text and 10c/min voice.

1) Boost Mobile Pay As You Go plan - cheapest plan is $55/mo for Android Monthly Unlimited <- how is this even considered cheap?

USA - Pay as you go sim with data Wiki

Korey

PagePlus is a decent option for people who want prepaid on Verizon's network, provided you have a phone to bring over. Currently I'm on a $12/mo plan with basic talk/text options. You could always buy a phone like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004IPAC10/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and bring it over (although you'd want a better plan with some decent data rates).

Hmm, that's even cheaper than Tmo.

Does anyone know if my Razr will work on PagePlus? The Razr uses a standard sim card.

Zolf

Does anyone know if my Razr will work on PagePlus? The Razr uses a standard sim card.

I don't think so, since a TMobile Razr would be GSM. PagePlus is on Verizon's CDMA network so that would be a no go.

tino

Banned

Only Verizon phones (excluding iPhone and official Verizon prepaid phones) There are a million options on ebay. You can get a Verizon Xperia Play $100 bucks cheaper than the ATT version.

border

Simple Mobile is $40/month for unlimited voice/text/3G. I believe they are piggybacking off of T-Mobile's network, so if you're happy with TMo then you'll be happy with them.

rozay

Banned
Red Pocket is pretty good as well, and they use at&t's network so you can bring whatever GSM phone you want.

border

$40 at Red Pocket only gets you 10MB of web data -- outrageous. The only reason to use them would be if you absolutely have to be on AT&T's network (can't unlock your phone).

StraightTalk would be the best option if you want AT&T, but getting a non-approved smartphone to work on it is a huge hassle. You have to buy one of their branded phones for like $150 and use the Sim card from it.....they will not sell or provide you with a basic Sim.

I am actually on AT&T GoPhone with my iPhone. It's a pretty great deal if you are not a heavy user, since your texts, minutes, and data roll over from month to month. You also don't have to unlock your iPhone or anything.

The major "problem" is that data speeds are throttled on almost any prepaid service, but it hasn't really bothered me. Web-browsing is still pretty speedy.

So after MUCH procrastination I've finally made it into an AT&T store and purchased a SIM card for the purpose of turning my 3GS into a GoPhone. Trouble is there's so much outdated information on the web right now that I'm not sure what exactly to do. I don't want to fuck this up, so if someone could walk me through what I need to do, it'd be much appreciated.

For example, would the $50/unlimited plan be possible for my phone? If so, would there be any catches?

Retrocide

$40 at Red Pocket only gets you 10MB of web data -- outrageous. The only reason to use them would be if you absolutely have to be on AT&T's network (can't unlock your phone).

StraightTalk would be the best option if you want AT&T, but getting a non-approved smartphone to work on it is a huge hassle. You have to buy one of their branded phones for like $150 and use the Sim card from it.....they will not sell or provide you with a basic Sim.

I am actually on AT&T GoPhone with my iPhone. It's a pretty great deal if you are not a heavy user, since your texts, minutes, and data roll over from month to month. You also don't have to unlock your iPhone or anything.

The major "problem" is that data speeds are throttled on almost any prepaid service, but it hasn't really bothered me. Web-browsing is still pretty speedy.

Are you sure about straight talk not working with certain smart phones? It seems they now sell sim cards for AT&T and T-mobile phones, both mini and micro sims
http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims
Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Kagami

So after MUCH procrastination I've finally made it into an AT&T store and purchased a SIM card for the purpose of turning my 3GS into a GoPhone. Trouble is there's so much outdated information on the web right now that I'm not sure what exactly to do. I don't want to fuck this up, so if someone could walk me through what I need to do, it'd be much appreciated.
You can activate a SIM with GoPhone service from the website.
https://www.wireless.att.com/GoPhoneWeb/goPhoneLanding.do?method=activatePayGo

The main GoPhone account management site is here
https://www.paygonline.com/

For example, would the $50/unlimited plan be possible for my phone? If so, would there be any catches?
The $50 plan is the only one where there's a significant difference between the smartphone and non-smartphone versions. The non-smartphone version has unlimited data in addition to unlimtied text and voice. The smartphone version is unlimited text and voice only, with data paid for at the same rate as every other plan.

I see a bunch of people on online forums using the non-smartphone $50 plan with a smartphone, though AT&T seems to catch them occasionally.
I don't have any personal experience with trying that; I use the officially supported Smartphone 10¢/Minute plan, which with the way I barely use the phone off wi-fi costs about $10/month.

Angry Fork

I'm thinking of getting LG Marquee with boost mobile because I don't like contracts. I don't want to sign up for a 2 year thing right out the gate. What do you guys think of the phone? I've never had a smartphone before I'm not the high maintenance type when it comes to them, it'll likely amaze me just by being an android smartphone and having those capabilities.

Are all android phones compatible with all apps or do people often change/upgrade the OS on their own? I have a bunch of android articles from lifehacker saved so when I get a phone I can play with it but I don't know if it's compatible with everything like say a Galaxy S2 is. I was thinking of getting Galaxy S2 with 2 year tmobile plan but their plans are like 60$ and up which is too much for me. Boost mobile is 55 and goes down every 6 months without the absolute need to continue like a contract.

edit - I see it seems to freeze a lot and be overall weak based on online reviews, contracts are so damn expensive though =(

tino

Banned
I suggest two forums for you to do research. 1, the Boost Mobile subforum on howardforums, for any x model on y carrier questions. 2, the Marquee subforum on xda. It will tell you how flexible the phone is if you ever decide to hack it. If it doesn't have a forum or a dedicated thread on xda, you likely wont get any community support.

Got the Walmart $30 monthly 4G plan today.

What a pain to setup. Doing it online doesn't work. I had to call T-Mobile and the chick walk me through. She also asked for my activation numbers so obviously she did something to those numbers. So with her on the phone, I did the exact same activation steps over the tmobile.com and it worked.

On top of that, Walmart doesn't have the $30 refill card. So I had to buy the refill pin online. And with these kind of pin you have to in the middle of the activation process, call a 800 number to refill it. You can't copy and paste the pin over the website. So stupid. I start to think TMo intentionally make the activation so hard to prevent most of the population to get this plan.

I also had to buy a $30 phone. I took out the sim and it work fine on the HD2.

I also ported my number from Page+ to TMobile, and then to google. Now I can use my number with the $30 Walmart plan.
? I agree calling the 800 number is stupid but I had no problem setting it up. I did mine completely online with no problem at the end of january.

Also, for other prepaid carriers is it possible to get see a better coverage map than the little like 300x200 picture of the US? Part of the reason I'll never use them is I can't actually find the coverage in my area until I buy it.

notsol337

marked forever
I'm thinking of getting LG Marquee with boost mobile because I don't like contracts. I don't want to sign up for a 2 year thing right out the gate. What do you guys think of the phone? I've never had a smartphone before I'm not the high maintenance type when it comes to them, it'll likely amaze me just by being an android smartphone and having those capabilities.

Are all android phones compatible with all apps or do people often change/upgrade the OS on their own? I have a bunch of android articles from lifehacker saved so when I get a phone I can play with it but I don't know if it's compatible with everything like say a Galaxy S2 is. I was thinking of getting Galaxy S2 with 2 year tmobile plan but their plans are like 60$ and up which is too much for me. Boost mobile is 55 and goes down every 6 months without the absolute need to continue like a contract.

edit - I see it seems to freeze a lot and be overall weak based on online reviews, contracts are so damn expensive though =(

Look into the ZTE Warp. I've sold a bunch of those, and they're pretty quick.

aristotle

After being with AT&T for 3 years, using a non-smartphone, and getting charged $80(!!) a month for service that wasn't unlimited, I jumped onto StraightTalk. I got myself the $130 Samsung Galaxy Precedent. @$45 a month for unlimited everything, I made the right choice. I have no issues whatsoever with it at all.

The only downside is the relatively "old" OS. It's not bad, but meh. At least the xda community seems to be kind of active in getting new versions on it running. I think they're up to Greenbread right. I haven't tried to root the phone yet, but that's mostly because this is my first smartphone and I don't want to break anything.

Regular high monthly payments for something that should be cheap is idiotic. I'm ashamed it took me so long, but at least now I have a really good phone. Plus Swype is badass.

Angry Fork

Is it possible for a Galaxy S2 to be hacked to use boost mobile service? Is it illegal? Or would boost recognize it's not a supported phone?

edit - And now I realize virgin mobile is apparently similar to boost but with better smartphones. THERE'S SO MUCH TO LEARN =( I feel old/stupid not knowing about phones/carriers. I don't know whether virgin or boost would be better.

Also what do people mean when they say boost/virgin smartphones are entry-level android? Like what does Galaxy S2 do in terms of apps/functionality that the other droid phones can't?

tino

Banned
Is it possible for a Galaxy S2 to be hacked to use boost mobile service? Is it illegal? Or would boost recognize it's not a supported phone?

edit - And now I realize virgin mobile is apparently similar to boost but with better smartphones. THERE'S SO MUCH TO LEARN =( I feel old/stupid not knowing about phones/carriers. I don't know whether virgin or boost would be better.

Also what do people mean when they say boost/virgin smartphones are entry-level android? Like what does Galaxy S2 do in terms of apps/functionality that the other droid phones can't?

It's illegal to discuss ESN hacking in the US. Trust me its not worth your effort. I tried to activate an EVO 4G. Too difficult and it didn't work anyway.

Just get the TMobile SGSII and the Wartmart $30 plan.

But if you have to eat the forbidden fruit, get a turnkey version on ebay.

border

It's illegal to discuss ESN hacking in the US. .

It's illegal to merely discuss ESN hacking? Why? Under what law?

I'm not doubting, I'm just curious.

Are you sure about straight talk not working with certain smart phones? It seems they now sell sim cards for AT&T and T-mobile phones, both mini and micro sims
http://www.straighttalk.com/ShopSims
Unless I'm reading it wrong.

Only in the past couple weeks has Straight Talk started selling sim cards directly. I'm not sure why they weren't always doing it.

They are now probably the best option for anyone wanting to use an iPhone on prepaid. No unlocks or jailbreaks necessary, and unlimited calls/texts/data.

you can get the Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch working on Boost, but you have to clone the ESN and some other data of another Boost Mobile phone (illegal) to get it to work. it takes some time and patience and attention to detail.

Virgin and Boost are both owned by Sprint. Boost has a monthly unlimited plan with 'shrinkage' where bill goes down $5 every 6 months for 1st 18 months you continue service while Virgin has several plans with unlimited text/data and a set amount of minutes and an unlimited plan. as far as better smartphones, the LG Marquee is the best phone on Boost and it's better than any Virgin Mobile phone!

people call them entry level because they are typically popular mid-range (not actually entry level lol) phones instead of high end phones. as far as functionality goes, the high end phones usually have things like more RAM and ROM space, HDMI out, front cameras, dual core processors, etc... but the gap is closing. one funny thing is the lower end phones usually (but not always) have the microSD slot is a much easier to access place!

It's illegal to discuss ESN hacking in the US. Trust me its not worth your effort. I tried to activate an EVO 4G. Too difficult and it didn't work anyway.

Just get the TMobile SGSII and the Wartmart $30 plan.

But if you have to eat the forbidden fruit, get a turnkey version on ebay.

cloning ESN is illegal, but discussing it isn't. most reputable tinkering sites ban discussion of ESN cloning though. the ones that don't often refer to it as 'ESN repairing' instead. but yeah, your method is a lot easier than cloning.

the LG G2x is coming to Straight Talk (Walmart's service) soon!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think I'm finally gonna ditch AT&T and go prepaid &#8212; I need to cut down on spending and it's not worth it to me to pay $80+ monthly for a phone that I pretty much only use as a web browser. I have a few months left on my contract, but the termination fee will only end up being about the cost of a month's bill.

I still plan on shopping around a bit, but my tentative plan is to go with MetroPCS ($40/month, including fees, unlimited talk/text/web) and get the just-released LG Connect 4G:
The Android powered handset is running Android 2.3 Gingerbread, features a 4-inch screen, a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, 1GB of RAM, front-facing camera for video chat, rear-facing 5-megapixel camera, 720p video capabilities, and, of course, supports 4G LTE connectivity.

As far as prepaid carrier phones go, it seems pretty solid and early reviews are positive. I'm hesitant to drop $320 on a phone right now, but since I usually stick with them for a few years, maybe it'll be a good investment. 4G isn't a huge selling point for me, as I know MetroPCS's network isn't exactly the fastest around, but their non-4G phones are pretty underwhelming.

Virgin Mobile with a Triumph would probably be my second choice... Anyone have any advice or experience with MetroPCS?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
With my current phone holding about 8 hours of charge and being 'dumb' along with volume cut in half it's really pressuring me to upgrade.

I'd probably be looking at a similar plan.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
People want the latest phones and will pay $300 + the 100 a month. They feel superior and more awesome than pre paid. That verizon, sprint, at&t, T-Mobile logo on their phones is a badge saying you are not poor and can afford to pay your high phone bill.

Rock a cricket, virgin mobile, boost mobile, metro pcs, ect ect, prepaid logo on your phone and you are considered a ghetto person with slow shitty service, and shops at walmart for clothes.

That's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom