• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't more people use Prepaid Wireless in America?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al-ibn Kermit

Aren't most people on family plans? That makes the per line cost more like around $40-$50.

For example on Sprint with 4 lines and 15% employer discount (which is pretty normal), you would be paying $45 per line and for that you get unlimited mobile to mobile minutes and unlimited data. Plus you get the phones for the subsidized price. So you're paying about $5-$10 more per line than a comparable pre-paid plan but over 24 months, that might still be cheaper than buying the phone unlocked. So it's a little harder to say whether it's worth it if you're getting multiple lines.

It makes no sense to get a contract if you're only getting one line though. Not unless you really, really care about mobile data speeds or phone choice, which most people don't. Especially now that you can get the iPhone and several decent Android phones on pre-paid plans.

so yeah, remember when Straight Talk said they were getting the LG Optimus 2x?

they decided to can that idea. http://reserve.straighttalkandroid.com/ now has no info on the Optimus 2x

Break into the world of Android™-powered phones with the Venture. This 3G & Wi-Fi capable smartphone gives you access to over 400,000 apps in Android Market™. It also features a 2.8" touchscreen, QWERTY keyboard, and a 2.0MP camera & camcorder.

$99.99 on 03/15/2012

SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Android 2.3 with access to Android Market™
  • Screen Size: 2.8" Touchscreen
  • 2MP Camera, LED FLash
  • Camcorder
  • Wifi, GPS & Wireless Web
  • Speakerphone
  • Bluetooth® 3.0
  • Internal Memory: 512MB RAM
  • Expandable Memory: up to 32GB
  • 2GB SD Card included
  • QWERTY Keyboard
  • 600 MHz Processor
  • 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • TTY Support
  • HAC Rating: M3/T3
  • Wireless Emergency Alert Capable

DIMENSIONS:
  • Height: 4.7"
  • Width: 2.3"
  • Depth: 0.49"
  • 4.30 oz

AWgYY.jpg
7l6mU.jpg

who is this phone for? disgruntled ex blackberry/palm fans? maybe.

Javaman

People want the latest phones and will pay $300 + the 100 a month. They feel superior and more awesome than pre paid. That verizon, sprint, at&t, T-Mobile logo on their phones is a badge saying you are not poor and can afford to pay your high phone bill.

Rock a cricket, virgin mobile, boost mobile, metro pcs, ect ect, prepaid logo on your phone and you are considered a ghetto person with slow shitty service, and shops at walmart for clothes.

That's why.
Meh. I talk about how cheap my Virgin mobile service and walmart clothes are all the time. I guess it's different when you're older and don't give a shit what other people think.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I posted in here a few days back about how I was going to switch to MetroPCS, but have since nixed that idea. T-Mobile's $30 unlimited text/data/100 minutes plan is perfect for me since I don't talk on the phone much, and too good to pass up. I ordered a cheap-ass phone from Walmart with the necessary activation kit and will use that (so I can get off AT&T sooner) until I decide on a good 4G Android phone to get.

tino

Banned
I posted in here a few days back about how I was going to switch to MetroPCS, but have since nixed that idea. T-Mobile's $30 unlimited text/data/100 minutes plan is perfect for me since I don't talk on the phone much, and too good to pass up. I ordered a cheap-ass phone from Walmart with the necessary activation kit and will use that (so I can get off AT&T sooner) until I decide on a good 4G Android phone to get.

Just keep in mind you need a TMobile brand phone in order to get 3G/4G speed.

There is really no good phone to replace my HD2. The Sensation feel so plasticy and cheap compare to my metal HD2.

ascii42

Aren't most people on family plans? That makes the per line cost more like around $40-$50.

For example on Sprint with 4 lines and 15% employer discount (which is pretty normal), you would be paying $45 per line and for that you get unlimited mobile to mobile minutes and unlimited data. Plus you get the phones for the subsidized price. So you're paying about $5-$10 more per line than a comparable pre-paid plan but over 24 months, that might still be cheaper than buying the phone unlocked. So it's a little harder to say whether it's worth it if you're getting multiple lines.

It makes no sense to get a contract if you're only getting one line though. Not unless you really, really care about mobile data speeds or phone choice, which most people don't. Especially now that you can get the iPhone and several decent Android phones on pre-paid plans.
Yeah, I just pay for my line and data. If I wasn't on the family plan, I'd go with prepaid in a heartbeat.

curttard

Banned
It seems like the best deal would be an LG G2X for $205-215 on Cowboom or $150-200 on Craigslist, and then the T-Mobile $30/month unlimited text/data, 100 minutes talk plan. If you need more than 100 minutes of voice, Googlevoice + the unlimited data will take care of that.

Husker86

People want the latest phones and will pay $300 + the 100 a month. They feel superior and more awesome than pre paid. That verizon, sprint, at&t, T-Mobile logo on their phones is a badge saying you are not poor and can afford to pay your high phone bill.

Rock a cricket, virgin mobile, boost mobile, metro pcs, ect ect, prepaid logo on your phone and you are considered a ghetto person with slow shitty service, and shops at walmart for clothes.

That's why.

The fuck?

Because I want to use a Galaxy Nexus with LTE I'm an elitist prick (according to your description)?

I think you look down on contract phone users much more than you think they look down on you (what a ridiculous thought).

I hope I missed sarcasm.

I'd jump on a prepaid GSM carrier with a GSM Galaxy Nexus if the US had a good, nationwide GSM network.

neoemonk

Smartphones are awesome. I don't know what else to say.

Judging people by the products they use is incredibly shallow, and I think is a great natural filter for the kind of people I don't want to associate with.

Puddles

Banned

That's why.

WTF is this? I can't remember the last time I noticed the logo on someone's phone.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V on sale for $80 @ bestbuy.com .. but wait .. if you actually go and buy one in-store, you also get a $35 airtime card for FREE
I think... it's time for me to jump ship.
This along with the $35 a month plan is probably what I'm going to go with.
$0.10 per additional minute is already my rate and my average minutes are ~300-350.

Thanks a lot! Seems good. I'll miss buttons on my phone, but for that price and no contract I think it is hard to complain.

HTC One V coming to Virgin Mobile.

HTC-One-V.jpg

vs02-26_22-01-29d1020_gallery_post.jpg

Virgin Mobile will carry the HTC One V later this year, we've learned. One of three handsets introduced by HTC at Barcelona's Mobile World Congress late last month, the One V is a 1GHz-powered, Android 4.0-based handset sporting a 3.7-inch, WVGA display, 512MB/4GB of RAM/ROM, and skinned with Sense 4.0. The One V will join other Androids on Virgin such as the recently-announced Venture and upcoming Chaser and LG Optimus Elite (also headed to Sprint).

Virgin is expected to offer the five-megapixel, Beats Audio-infused One V for under $200 when it arrives in late Spring.

http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-one-v-tipped-for-virgin-mobile-release?utm_source=feedburner

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Virgin Moblie on CDMA :\

I really don't mind paying the full unsubsidized cost of a phone like the iPhone. I just don't want to pay more than $50 a month to use it. If a prepaid service can offer me that then I'm all for that service. The closest to that is Straight Talk but I have to do more research into their service.

BigDug13

Here's a question that I have. Awhile back, I saw a way you can change some things in your jailbroken devices to allow an iPhone microsim to work in your iPad, allowing mobile Internet access but through the data plan you're already paying for on your iPhone.

Is there a way to do the opposite? Like use an iPad microsim in your jailbroken iPhone then pay for one month of ipad data usage for $25 which requires no contract.

Then for $25 per month, you have mobile internet access in your iPhone as well as iPad for $25 total. Use skype for voice and an app like textnow for texts, then you have a complete smartphone solution for $25 per month, cancelable anytime.

Is this possible?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I think... it's time for me to jump ship.
This along with the $35 a month plan is probably what I'm going to go with.
$0.10 per additional minute is already my rate and my average minutes are ~300-350.

Thanks a lot! Seems good. I'll miss buttons on my phone, but for that price and no contract I think it is hard to complain.
Ok so I passed this by some people and I looked at CNET.

No wireless tethering is harsh. No Flash is harsh. 600Mhz I heard is not great for video playback?

If I'm getting a no contract phone I can use with Virgin Mobile I need:
Tethering
Ability to watch Flash streams (Twitch.TV)
Ability to watch those streams well

*Additionally, how would one go about activating a used CDMA phone?

Any help is appreciated. Price is a big point for me as well.

Ok so I passed this by some people and I looked at CNET.

No wireless tethering is harsh. No Flash is harsh. 600Mhz I heard is not great for video playback?

If I'm getting a no contract phone I can use with Virgin Mobile I need:
Tethering
Ability to watch Flash streams (Twitch.TV)
Ability to watch those streams well

Nothing else really matters to me.

Any help is appreciated. Price is a big point for me as well.

your only option sounds like it would be the Triumph as the other VM phones are all based on the ARMv6 spec which doesn't have Flash support. you'd have to root it to tether, but it can be done. you can tether on the LG Virgin Mobile phones without rooting with FoxFi, but ... no flash, so no twitch.tv support. i know there are modded versions of Flash that will run on the older ARM chipsets, but i have no idea if they'll work for Twitch.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
your only option sounds like it would be the Triumph as the other VM phones are all based on the ARMv6 spec which doesn't have Flash support. you'd have to root it to tether, but it can be done. you can tether on the LG Virgin Mobile phones without rooting with FoxFi, but ... no flash, so no twitch.tv support. i know there are modded versions of Flash that will run on the older ARM chipsets, but i have no idea if they'll work for Twitch.
I'm not 100% positive here so I just want to make sure.
A stock Triumph will let me watch Twitch and can tether?

I saw that the Optimus did not have support, then looked at the Slider, then price wise the Triumph was not much more, for better specs.

Do you know about buying used CDMA phones? Thanks a lot.

I'm not 100% positive here so I just want to make sure.
A stock Triumph will let me watch Twitch and can tether?

I saw that the Optimus did not have support, then looked at the Slider, then price wise the Triumph was not much more, for better specs.

Do you know about buying used CDMA phones? Thanks a lot.

no, stock Triumph won't tether over WiFi, it doesn't work with FoxFi.

you have to root it to WiFi tether, or you can USB or BT tether without rooting.

rooting it is easy, GingerBreak is pretty much a '1 click' solution.

the Triumph does support Flash though, unlike the other VM phones. watching Twitch streams will work, though the battery won't last more than a couple of hours if you're streaming video.

as far as buying used CDMA phones goes, all i know is you have to make sure the ESN isn't banned.

And pretty much only TMobile or a few Symbian phone have that frequency.

Galaxy Nexus!!! International version...

and AT&T Galaxy Note, with h4x.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
no, stock Triumph won't tether over WiFi, it doesn't work with FoxFi.

you have to root it to WiFi tether, or you can USB or BT tether without rooting.

rooting it is easy, GingerBreak is pretty much a '1 click' solution.

the Triumph does support Flash though, unlike the other VM phones. watching Twitch streams will work, though the battery won't last more than a couple of hours if you're streaming video.

as far as buying used CDMA phones goes, all i know is you have to make sure the ESN isn't banned.
Many thanks.

Several months since I purchased my Intercept and it's still going strong.

Use it primarily to check email, twitter, IRC, and recently downloaded the Kindle app and have been reading a bunch of Kindle books on it. I find I'm reading, synchronizing, and racing against myself on my Kindle when I get home. Trying to get deeper into books by reading more pages on either device.

It's like a score chase in a video game, only I give a shit about reading. :p

It's shit for gaming, but IMO all smartphones are shit for gaming. This is why I have a PSP and DS. ^_^

Javaman

Several months since I purchased my Intercept and it's still going strong.

Use it primarily to check email, twitter, IRC, and recently downloaded the Kindle app and have been reading a bunch of Kindle books on it. I find I'm reading, synchronizing, and racing against myself on my Kindle when I get home. Trying to get deeper into books by reading more pages on either device.

It's like a score chase in a video game, only I give a shit about reading. :p

It's shit for gaming, but IMO all smartphones are shit for gaming. This is why I have a PSP and DS. ^_^
I'm glad yours is working well but mine was a complete dog. Even after constantly using an app killer program and eventually restoring to factory conditions and using it with very few apps installed it ran like shit. The touch screen barely registered taps and scrolling through web pages was a pita due to the spotty screen clicking on stuff as you scrolled past. I had it for a painful year but have since recently upgraded to the LG slider and hadn't had any issues. It's MUCH more snappy. My only complaint is the top row of the keyboard combines numbers and the qwert keys. The intercept keyboard was much better. Also it's missing the intercept's mini thumb scroller.

awm8604

Banned
I don't get the obsession with paying so much for the new phones. I picked up 2 Palm Pixi's for $40 each last year, and for me and my girlfriend combined it's about $20/month through Page Plus. She has a 2,000 text plan, I use Google Voice because I send maybe 50 texts a month, and we both use the apps and smartphone stuff over Wi-Fi only, which is pretty much everywhere we go.

masud

Banned
People dont like shitty phones and getting roaming charges for leaving their town? And lol at prepaid 'unlimited' data. I used 40 GB last month on my granfathered unlimited plan with VZW. Virgin would send assassins to my house if I tried that shit with them.

I'm glad yours is working well but mine was a complete dog. Even after constantly using an app killer program and eventually restoring to factory conditions and using it with very few apps installed it ran like shit. The touch screen barely registered taps and scrolling through web pages was a pita due to the spotty screen clicking on stuff as you scrolled past. I had it for a painful year but have since recently upgraded to the LG slider and hadn't had any issues. It's MUCH more snappy. My only complaint is the top row of the keyboard combines numbers and the qwert keys. The intercept keyboard was much better. Also it's missing the intercept's mini thumb scroller.

Oh, it's entirely based upon usage.

I've owned an iPhone, Droid, Droid2 and presently the Intercept and they've all been complete and utter shit for browsing the web IMO. Unless I'm connected to a WAP to get reliable speeds, data transfer was slow and if I wanted to say - browse GAF while pinching one off, the pages would never load before I deployed so use has just conditioned me to not browse the web unless I'm absolutely fucking desperate.

It misses inputs on my unlock screen and is pokey when scrolling, but given what I paid for it and what I pay monthly after the AIDST&T and Verizon con jobs?

I don't mind.

In general I find touch screens fucking awful with missed inputs, accidental inputs, etc. Which is why I love android phones with keyboards.

I'm keeping an eye out for the LG Optimus Slider available on Virgin Mobile to drop in price. Fortunately I'm not so hard up to play Angry Birds in Space that it's a pressing matter.

IRC, Kindle, and Twitter are all perfectly adequate.

Mudita

Neo Member
I switched to the $35 Virgin Mobile plan last month with the LG Optimus. I was an 8 year ATT customer. The phone is nice, my first smart phone, so it's basically magic to me. I just hit my minute limit and had to top up for the remainder of the month so next month I will be a little more careful with the minutes. So far I am happy as a clam!

yeah, the Slider definitely performs better, but the issues you had with the Intercept sounds like you had a defective unit. also, don't use task killers on Android.

People dont like shitty phones and getting roaming charges for leaving their town? And lol at prepaid 'unlimited' data. I used 40 GB last month on my granfathered unlimited plan with VZW. Virgin would send assassins to my house if I tried that shit with them.

Virgin Mobile (and most prepaids in general) don't have roaming charges... they just don't let you roam.

Oh, it's entirely based upon usage.

I've owned an iPhone, Droid, Droid2 and presently the Intercept and they've all been complete and utter shit for browsing the web IMO. Unless I'm connected to a WAP to get reliable speeds, data transfer was slow and if I wanted to say - browse GAF while pinching one off, the pages would never load before I deployed so use has just conditioned me to not browse the web unless I'm absolutely fucking desperate.

It misses inputs on my unlock screen and is pokey when scrolling, but given what I paid for it and what I pay monthly after the AIDST&T and Verizon con jobs?

I don't mind.

In general I find touch screens fucking awful with missed inputs, accidental inputs, etc. Which is why I love android phones with keyboards.

I'm keeping an eye out for the LG Optimus Slider available on Virgin Mobile to drop in price. Fortunately I'm not so hard up to play Angry Birds in Space that it's a pressing matter.

IRC, Kindle, and Twitter are all perfectly adequate.

you missed that sweeeeet $80 black friday deal?

I switched to the $35 Virgin Mobile plan last month with the LG Optimus. I was an 8 year ATT customer. The phone is nice, my first smart phone, so it's basically magic to me. I just hit my minute limit and had to top up for the remainder of the month so next month I will be a little more careful with the minutes. So far I am happy as a clam!

have you thought about using a Google Voice app like GrooVe IP, Spare Phone or Talkatone to supplement your minutes usage when you have a Wifi signal? (or you can use them with 3G, but it's sub-optimal)

border

Most prepaids are on a nationwide network -- why would you be roaming outside of your hometown?

And if your typical data usage is 40GB, I susupect Verizon has some nasty surprises for you in the future.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I just use straight talk from walmart. They're just pre-payed cards. $35 I have 1000 minutes and texts, for $45 everything is unlimited no matter where I am. I can call anywhere in the U.S. and Canada, it's been pretty good so far.

I thought the straight talk 45 card was just nation wide..does it work calling to canada without more money?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
So, I was pretty excited by this thread and ready to pull the trigger. I looked at the coverage map, and Austin looks okay, but some of the areas surrounding the city were huge "no coverage" areas.
No problem, right? A little roaming never killed me.
...but some cursory research is telling me that Virgin Mobile won't even let you roam.No roaming allowed.
The fuck?
Man... and I was excited. I don't think I can accept the possibility of being attacked and murdered by rednecks outside of austin on the way to some gig with no access to 911.

:(

So, I was pretty excited by this thread and ready to pull the trigger. I looked at the coverage map, and Austin looks okay, but some of the areas surrounding the city were huge "no coverage" areas.
No problem, right? A little roaming never killed me.
...but some cursory research is telling me that Virgin Mobile won't even let you roam.No roaming allowed.
The fuck?
Man... and I was excited. I don't think I can accept the possibility of being attacked and murdered by rednecks outside of austin on the way to some gig with no access to 911.

:(

actually, 911 has a special exemption and a 911 call will go thru on the nearest tower compatible with the phone, regardless of any roaming rules. you don't even need a cellphone with an active line of service to call 911.

Fox Mulder

I was making a goof, but that's good to know. My point, is that I can't deal with having no roaming available.

yeah, I looked at cheaper options like Virgin Mobile or Tmobile, but they have spotty coverage around here. I don't really like paying $70 a month for Verizon, but their network is the best in my area. I'm looking to move back to Charlotte soon, so I assume it'll be a different situation there.

NomarTyme

Ok the straighttalk got me interested! So if I got a unlocked At&t phone I can use At&t 4g speed or Tmobile HSPA+ ?

NVM I found my answer through google! the answers is At&t will work on my phone! woot!

LG Optimus Elite coming to Virgin Mobile

While it's no surprise that both Sprint and its prepaid brand, Virgin Mobile, will soon be carrying the Google Wallet-endowed LG Optimus Elite, a pair of new renders reveals that they will look quite different from the Optimus Net NFC we had originally anticipated. Specs-wise, we're still anticipating the two handsets to offer mid-range features -- save for their near field communication capabilities -- on the order of 800Mhz processors, 3.2-inch HVGA displays, and five-megapixel cameras with flash.

Naturally Sprint's Elite (codename: Gelato) will be the cheaper of the bunch, although even Virgin's model shouldn't fetch much more than $100. Look for the Sprint version to hit rather soon, followed by Virgin's in early May.

reVx0.jpg

Shame that the Sprint ID crap has mades it's way on to Virgin Mobile now.

I was with Verizon for awhile paying $75. Switched to Virgin mobile and now paying $35 with unlimited txt, minutes and web (throttle after 2gb over).
Got an ok phone LG Optimus V but other than that service is good. No throttle or 3G just drops like verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom