• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why F-Zero X is better than GX

Green_Eyes

Season 1 Fake Laugh GIF by Living Single

bender

What time is it?
GX is the only game that ever made me feel like a weak, pathetic, foul, puny, insignificant, worthless, futile, inconsequential, wretched, sterile, meaningless, trivial, good-for-nothing human. I don't know how you skin tubes live with yourselves.

chriskun

I definitely agree with the OP. For me X is just the fun arcade racer that F-zero is supposed to be and the multiplayer was a blast. GX was way too fucking hard, it didnt make any sense. I love hard games, but that shit was just absurd.

robor

While I respect your perspective - the GX clip you are referring to (I think) is that crazy one with the dude doing the snaking to skip thru the tracks.
Ive finished all courses in GX on all difficulties (it was NOT easy) and I never used snaking - didnt even know it existed.
Finished the old fashioned way.
I might have had to kill a rival during the run with the spin attack or side attack - but thats part of the gameplay too.

Right, snaking is a form of memorization at the highest level of play. That's what I meant by calling it "pure memorization". It doesn't simply start at that level though, GX suffers from the ground up with this very problem. Playing it the "old-fashioned way" still puts the player through the grueling process of memorizing the tracks in order to win. The speed of the cars surpasses any intuitive response the player needs to overcome any obstacle of any given track punishing any high ranking past the finish line.

Look GX is a very difficult game - one of the most difficult in gaming history by my estimation - but its not unfair.
Its that classic Sega arcade racing game design - from Daytona to Sega Rally - those are not easy games either.
F-Zero GX's difficulty is a big part of why its so revered.

The degree of fairness is a matter of subjectivity, but that is largely irrelevant. The problem with GX's difficulty is that it is obtrusive. It might have worked with Daytona and Sega Rally, but the folly of amalgamating those styles of intensive racing didn't gel with the overall ethos of F-Zero (despite Amusement Vision seeming like a sensible fit for the franchise). In my case, this is a massive detriment to the series contrary to those who revere this absurd and misplaced difficulty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom