• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I can't enjoy the ending of Naruto (big spoilers here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rambis

Banned
Scratching my head at people acting like Hinata did fuck all for Naruto before jumping in front of Pain and as if Sakura never cared.

I reread the manga like a year ago, but even that wasn't necessary to recall the fact Sakura begins changing her mind about Naruto almost as soon as they're put on the same team together. By chapter 40 she's willing to withdraw the team from the Chūnin Exams in order to preserve Naruto's dream of becoming Hokage - something that's undoubtedly would have pissed Sasuke off. She consistently showed and actual caring for Naruto's wellbeing and just importantly his dreams. When she found out about Kurama she cried for him. When she then found out Akatsuki would be coming for Naruto she was distressed and feared for him. When Naruto went 4 Tails and turned berserk she ran straight at him knowing he was in pain and how much danger she was putting herself in and promising to save Sasuke for him. When Jiraiya died she was concerned how he felt even though she didn't like how he talked to Tsunade upon finding out.

There are more examples aside from those on the top of my head. Point is Sakura was one of the people there for Naruto once she got to know him.

What does Hinata have on that? She never once showed any interest in his dream. She admired him but never approached him when he was alone, only once he had already surrounded himself with people who cared about him - openly and outwardly - and even then she waited until he was inches away from death to do something.

I honestly don't understand the admiration for Hinata. I get she's more likeable than Sakura but that doesn't mean she's a better fit for Naruto than her or the best female character - I don't think that's remotely close at all.
She cared for him yes but he was clearly still friend zone. She was going to withdraw from the Chuunin exams because she didnt think Naruto was wise enough to pass on his own. I do get your point that her attitude softened on him but remember she was ready to leave Naruto and the rest of the leaf at the drop of a hat for Sasuke.

As far as Hinata, she definitely cared for Naruto and his dreams. I don't see how you could argue that. She liked Naruto so much that she adopted his creed and way of life. She rooted for Naruto in the last round over her own cousin and teammate. Even gave him healing ointment after fighting Kiba. While Sakura was scared stiff in the Pain invasion, Hinata was risking her life for Naruto. When Naruto was about to fold against Obito it was Hinata that slapped some sense into him and gave him his strength. Her whole character was basically liking Naruto.

Sakura mostly just cried and depended on Naruto/Kakashi. "Once in a lifetime request. Please save sasuke" in part 1. During the pain arc? Her big scene was hitting her knees and crying for Naruto after pain wrecked the village. Kage Summit arc? Again if it wasnt for Naruto/Kakashi she wouldve died. Hinata in her interactions supported Naruto far more than she ever needed him.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I love the setting,characters, and I love his art, but ultimately Kishimoto is not a great writer.

Amazing - Togashi

Really Great - Horikoshi

Average - Kishimoto

Huh - Kubo Tite

I put Toriyama on a different scale called Toriyama Forgot. He's too much of a progenitor to place him on a scale. I haven't read enough of One Piece to give my opinion on Oda. I hear it's great, I'm just wondering how the fuck it has been going so long.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You need to fix that. I always find it amusing when people find the time to read Bleach and Naruto, yet they managed to skip over One Piece lol

I actually only watched the anime. Finished the Skypeia arc awhile aback which was good, hadn't watched anything past that.

LotusHD

Banned
I actually only watched the anime. Finished the Skypeia arc awhile aback which was good, hadn't watched anything past that.

Well read or watch, it's all the same to me. Watched like 500+ episodes of One Piece before I started to read the manga myself. I still keep up with the anime though.

But yea, get on that.

She cared for him yes but he was clearly still friend zone. She was going to withdraw from the Chuunin exams because she didnt think Naruto was wise enough to pass on his own. I do get your point that her attitude softened on him but remember she was ready to leave Naruto and the rest of the leaf at the drop of a hat for Sasuke.

I don't think it matters if Naruto was in the friendzone or not. Sakura grew to care for him in a short amount of time, and unlike Hinata, she cared about him openly. More importantly, there was steady development and foreshadowing that she was beginning to have feelings for Naruto, which Kishimoto illustrated through Sai, Yamato and the data books (I thought this was BS but I actually looked up translations online, google is your friend).

As for the the Chuunin Exam, yeah, she didn't think Naruto was going to pass because the questions were incredibly difficult and Naruto wasn't exactly academically gifted so based on that information at hand she showed selflessness and caring in her willingness to pull out the entire team for Naruto's sake. That's what you should be focusing on, not that she rightfully didn't think Naruto was smart enough, because he clearly wasn't.

Regarding her leaving with Sasuke - no, she wasn't ready to leave on the drop of a hat. She argued and begged and was desperate.

As far as Hinata, she definitely cared for Naruto and his dreams. I don't see how you could argue that. She liked Naruto so much that she adopted his creed and way of life. She rooted for Naruto in the last round over her own cousin and teammate. Even gave him healing ointment after fighting Kiba. While Sakura was scared stiff in the Pain invasion, Hinata was risking her life for Naruto. When Naruto was about to fold against Obito it was Hinata that slapped some sense into him and gave him his strength. Her whole character was basically liking Naruto.

When did Hinata ever express interest in Naruto's dreams? I don't recall a single instance in any of her appearances in the manga where she showed that. Not a one.

Hinata's feelings towards Naruto were inherently based on admiration first and foremost. Kishimoto would have served the character by leaving it at that then forcing a poorly written romance, though granted, the majority of relationships in Naruto were poorly done. But I digress. Hinata never cared for Naruto as an individual, only in relation to how he mattered to her.

Sakura mostly just cried and depended on Naruto/Kakashi. "Once in a lifetime request. Please save sasuke" in part 1. During the pain arc? Her big scene was hitting her knees and crying for Naruto after pain wrecked the village. Kage Summit arc? Again if it wasnt for Naruto/Kakashi she wouldve died. Hinata in her interactions supported Naruto far more than she ever needed him.

Sakura was saving lives on the sideline, i.e. doing her job as a medic. She also had numerous big moments, some of which I mentioned in the post you've quoted.

What support are you talking about? Naruto barely spoke to Hinata. He never needed her, never thought about her, or even considered her as anything more than a friend. Keep in mind Hinata appeared in like 20 out of 700 chapters. Her interactions with Naruto were few and inconsequential aside from the one time she jumped in front of Pain and later when Neji died.

Out of the two, Sakura was far and away the more open, meaningful and consistent source of support for Naruto.

rambis

Banned
I don't think it matters if Naruto was in the friendzone or not. Sakura grew to care for him in a short amount of time, and unlike Hinata, she cared about him openly. More importantly, there was steady development and foreshadowing that she was beginning to have feelings for Naruto, which Kishimoto illustrated through Sai, Yamato and the data books (I thought this was BS but I actually looked up translations online, google is your friend).

As for the the Chuunin Exam, yeah, she didn't think Naruto was going to pass because the questions were incredibly difficult and Naruto wasn't exactly academically gifted so based on that information at hand she showed selflessness and caring in her willingness to pull out the entire team for Naruto's sake. That's what you should be focusing on, not that she rightfully didn't think Naruto was smart enough, because he clearly wasn't.

Regarding her leaving with Sasuke - no, she wasn't ready to leave on the drop of a hat. She argued and begged and was desperate.

When did Hinata ever express interest in Naruto's dreams? I don't recall a single instance in any of her appearances in the manga where she showed that. Not a one.

Hinata's feelings towards Naruto were inherently based on admiration first and foremost. Kishimoto would have served the character by leaving it at that then forcing a poorly written romance, though granted, the majority of relationships in Naruto were poorly done. But I digress. Hinata never cared for Naruto as an individual, only in relation to how he mattered to her.

Sakura was saving lives on the sideline, i.e. doing her job as a medic. She also had numerous big moments, some of which I mentioned in the post you've quoted.

What support are you talking about? Naruto barely spoke to Hinata. He never needed her, never thought about her, or even considered her as anything more than a friend. Keep in mind Hinata appeared in like 20 out of 700 chapters. Her interactions with Naruto were few and inconsequential aside from the one time she jumped in front of Pain and later when Neji died.

Out of the two, Sakura was far and away the more open, meaningful and consistent source of support for Naruto.
Yeah we're done here. You probably could've saved yourself a bump if this is what you were gonna come back with.

.JayZii

Banned
The fact that he's constantly out on years-long away missions should say it all. Sakura's life is a bummer. She trained with a Hokage to become this skilled, powerful ninja and then opted to become an emotionally and physically neglected housewife.

Naru/Hina is GOAT couple.

Both Sakura and Sasuke could have ended up alone for all I care.

Only post that matters. :)

I can't believe someone in here argued that Hinata didn't care for Naruto, or his dreams. What!? She believed in him as much as anyone. Feeding off of her feelings for him and how much she believed in him, and his ability to achieve his dreams, made her want to be that much better. I can't believe someone can watch her fight against Neji, the Naruto vs Neji fight, or the six paths of pain fight and claim Hinata doesn't care about Naruto.

Yeah we're done here. You probably could've saved yourself a bump if this is what you were gonna come back with.

This is hilarious coming from you when all it takes is reading the last couple of pages back to see the same disingenuous and misinformed nonsense you tried shovelling with others that called you on your lack of familiarity. I gave you the benefit of the doubt half expecting it, but you weaselling out is a surprise, albeit not an unpleasant one as it's fucking pairings we're talking about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom