• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I can't enjoy the ending of Naruto (big spoilers here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzumaki Goku

Naruto definitely needs a remake. The first part not so much, just complete it a bit more with missions between the zabuza and chuunin exam arcs so naruto and sasuke's friendship seems real (and not the retcon-fest it ended up being).
But Shipuuden? dear lord, just demolish it and build it from scratch.

I know I'm alone in this, but I wished naruto was divided into three parts.

Naruto: same as before.
Naruto Shipuuden: same as before but ends at Pain Arc, more focus on character interactions (tenten exists btw), fights are less about power level.
Naruto Taisen: the great war is its own part of the manga. This is definitely the weakest part, and the one it needs to be remade the most.

I agree.

rambis

Banned
Man I loved the original series back in the day and it sucks to see that Shippuden totally falls apart. I watched like 50 episodes of it and it was never as good as the original despite some good character designs...

I could never be bothered to watch the rest considering how much there is, and how not that great all of it is...

Sakura loving Sasuke for no reason forever sounds ridiculous. Naruto and Hinata sounds like a terrible couple because Hinata is a terrible, uninteresting character who never developed to overcome timidity and take meaningful action. Now of course that may change in Shippuden but like I said haven't seen it.

Hopefully Shippuden is redone someday in a condensed form with meaningful story points. Instead we get Boruto. lol
How can you say this if you never watched it? Its false, she basically saves Naruto twice. At one point having more balls than he did.

rambis

Banned
How is that disputed? He was dying. Being in the middle of getting powers is not the same as actually having powers
Disputed that it was Sakura that saved him and not the Sage/Obito. Its been said that nobody can do anything for a Jin without a tailed beast so im wondering how much she actually did. Naruto woke fully healed with God powers. Sakura likely had nothing to do with that. Obito/So6p did far more.

Uzumaki Goku

Disputed that it was Sakura that saved him and not the Sage/Obito. Its been said that nobody can do anything for a Jin without a tailed beast so im wondering how much she actually did. Naruto woke fully healed with God powers. Sakura likely had nothing to do with that. Obito/So6p did far more.

She kept him alive long enough for them to save him

Disputed that it was Sakura that saved him and not the Sage. Its been said that nobody can do anything for a Jin without a tailed beast so im wondering how much she actually did.
Sakura kept him alive long enough for him to get Six Paths power. That's it.

You're not alone OP if we sum up endings that suck, Naruto is a big contender for one of the most disappointing and contrived. I mean fucking Boruto is just a clone of Naruto
(haha pun cause he spent his whole life making clones, now he makes a biological one haha
nothing more and nothing less I read Gaiden and I was done with the series. Only took fucking 15 years on top of that.

Burbeting

Banned
In the first case, we see Naruto going on and on about how important Sasuke is to him, while a lot of other characters (including Sasuke himself) tell Naruto to leave Sasuke alone.

In the second case we see that Sakura is wildly infatuated with Sasuke, but nothing about their relationship could constitute as mutual love. Nobody else in the story ever refers to them as lovers or a couple.

In first case Sasuke keeps telling how Naruto is his best friend, starting from the end of Part 1. But prior to that in part 1 the two of them seems to tolerate each other at best.

For second case, the mutual love is supposedly blossoming in the ending. Yes time-skips and all, but it still felt awfully tacky.

CronoShot

I thought it was perfect.

Naruto got together with the one person his own age that actually cared for him (albeit from a distance) before he started to become awesome. And she even threw herself at an unbeatable enemy just on the off chance she could save his life.

Sakura and Sasuke are both terrible, terrible people. They deserve each other.

rambis

Banned
You're not alone OP if we sum up endings that suck, Naruto is a big contender for one of the most disappointing and contrived. I mean fucking Boruto is just a clone of Naruto
(haha pun cause he spent his whole life making clones, now he makes a biological one haha
nothing more and nothing less I read Gaiden and I was done with the series. Only took fucking 15 years on top of that.
Other than looks they really arent alike at all.

Uzumaki Goku

Naruto got together with the one person his own age that actually cared for him (albeit from a distance) before he started to become awesome. And she even threw herself at an unbeatable enemy just on the off chance she could save his life.

I still don't get how people say that. His first bond was with Sasuke

rambis

Banned
That's a really fucked up analogy.
How is that not spot on? Gaara and his sand the driver and ambulance, Sakura with the defibulator. The most they can both do is try to preserve him until they can make it to the doctor.

In first case Sasuke keeps telling how Naruto is his best friend, starting from the end of Part 1. But prior to that in part 1 the two of them seems to tolerate each other at best.

For second case, the mutual love is supposedly blossoming in the ending. Yes time-skips and all, but it still felt awfully tacky.
They were infactuated with each other. They would spend all night training with each other, rooted for each other at the chunins, risking their lives to protect each other. I thought it was a great rivalryship. They were never buddy-buddy but thats not in either of their characters in the first place.

PaulBizkit

Well, naruto ending with hinata (as undeveloped as it was) is one of the few things that were actually given a closure. There are a lot of sub plots that were forgotten.

What bothers me, is that, cannonically, Hinata managed to get Naruto YEARS AFTER he became the hero of konoha and child of profecy and save the world twice. It's like Hinata is the groupie that got lucky...
They should have hooked up after the Pain fight, at the latest. Picture this, hinata wakes up after being defeated by Pain and goes after naruto because "I got a bad feeling about this", naruto kills Pain and returns. On his way back, he finds her, talk about them feels and then they happily return to their devastated village. Fixed.

Naruto NEVER acknowledging hinata's sacrifice was the most uncanny thing ever. I cant believe how long this manga is, and the characters never sit down to talk (this applies for all the characters).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My memory of naruto is not entirely ruined since I read everything until Pain and then stopped reading forever. When the end finally came, the week before I read the last 20 chapters (naruto and sasuke are friends again, team 7 is reformed and they are fighting against kaguya) and enjoyed the glorious triumph of the naruhina shippers.

But I digress... The thing is, I didn't know naruto became THAT powerful. Who defeated Obito then? Kakashi?

Naruto.

Then Obito turned face before he died - Naruto has his half of Kurama removed from his body and starts to die, but then Obito gets the other half from Minato and gives it to Naruto. Naruto actually gets more powerful at the end of the series because he gets both halves of Kurama.

ExVicis

Nami and Luffy is going to be a thing at the end. I feel very positive about this.

His first bonds were with Iruka and Hiruzen.

His relationship with Sasuke was a rivalry that Kishimoto randomly turned into a deep friendship when no one was looking.
It turned into a friendship when the plot needed it to.

Honestly Naruto going after Sasuke is fine, but not for the reasons of "brotherhood" and "friendship". Should have been more like a "Fuck you how dare you?" and then beating the shit out of him and throwing him in Ninja jail or whatever.

Then again I'm not that familiar with Shippuden, I watched enough of it to know it wasn't for me and abandoned the series before Hinata's confession even.

How is that not spot on? Gaara and his sand the driver and ambulance, Sakura with the defibulator. The most they can both do is try to preserve him until they can make it to the doctor.
Well, you're trying to minimize what they did, what EMS people do, and you got the wrong physician as they were headed toward Minato, and even if it was Obito they were headed towards, he's partly responsible for Naruto dying, it's like going to your attempted murderer's accomplice for medical help, and they only got lucky that Obito took back control over his body from Black Zetsu long enough to save Naruto. That's all just fucked up.

I wished Kishi would have developed Naruto and Gaara's friendship more. Naruto had more in common with Gaara than Sasuke. Not to mention a better rivalry fight.

rambis

Banned
Well, you're trying to minimize what they did, what EMS people do, and you got the wrong physician as they were headed toward Minato, and even if it was Obito they were headed towards, he's partly responsible for Naruto dying, it's like going to your attempted murderer's accomplice for medical help, and they only got lucky that Obito took back control over his body from Black Zetsu long enough to save Naruto. That's all just fucked up.
Eh its not minimizing anything. It was very clear Naruto was going to die without the Kyuubi. Saying Sakura "saved his life" is minimizing and occluding the fact that she was powerless to save him. If I needed a life saving heart transplant, while Im grateful to the EMS that kept me alive Im acknowledging the doctor as the one who saved my life because without his specific set of knowledge and practice I would be dead regardless of what the EMS did.

Also I never said they were going to Obito.

I wished Kishi would have developed Naruto and Gaara's friendship more. Naruto had more in common with Gaara than Sasuke. Not to mention a better rivalry fight.
I agree they had more in common but VOTE1 is maybe the best fight in the series. Only part I liked about Gaara/Naruto was watching Sasuke realize how outclassed he was.

I thought there relationship was fine. One of the few that really got fleshed out.

Cheerilee

I think the early part of the series did an okay job of establishing that Sasuke is a Batman-style "my parents are dead" brooding edgelord, while Naruto is an annoying loser. Naruto hates Sasuke for being much cooler than him, while Sasuke hates everyone, with Naruto being particularly annoying due to the obvious shots he takes at Sasuke.

Placed on the same team, they fight with each other, they become rivals, and they slowly develop a kind of friendship with each other. IIRC, there was at least one point in the Zabuza fight where Sasuke selflessly took a hit for Naruto, even though that was strategically a bad move. Naruto similarly softened on Sasuke, even though they remained rivals.

But then Itachi showed up in the Leaf Village and humiliated Sasuke, and reminded him that his parents were dead, and made Sasuke think "WTF am I doing playing around with being friends with these people and trying to be happy? I'm supposed to hate everyone" which turned Sasuke against his team and made him join Orochimaru, as he was convinced that evil was a faster route to getting stronger.

For both Sasuke and Naruto, their friendship (such as it was) was the first friendship they had ever experienced. Sasuke decided to throw that away, Naruto refused. Bearing in mind that Naruto's "ninja way" is that he will never back down, never surrender, and that when Sasuke first left, Naruto foolishly promised to Sakura that he would bring Sasuke back and force him to change his mind. It's pretty ridiculous that Naruto stuck to that stubbornness for so many years, and it should've destroyed Naruto's naivete when he failed to stop Sasuke from leaving.

Eh its not minimizing anything. It was very clear Naruto was going to die without the Kyuubi. Saying Sakura "saved his life" is minimizing and occluding the fact that she was powerless to save him. If I needed a life saving heart transplant, while Im grateful to the EMS that kept me alive Im acknowledging the doctor as the one who saved my life because without his specific set of knowledge and practice I would be dead regardless of what the EMS did.

Also I never said they were going to Obito.
You are absolutely minimizing what she did. Literally pumping his heart with her bare hands. Yknow that specific set of knowledge and practise that kept him alive long enough for the tailed beast fix.

Like you keep jumping around. First you want to credit it all to the Sage, then you want to credit it to mostly Obito. It's really messed up. Seems like it bothers you that Sakura had involvement at all.

rambis

Banned
You are absolutely minimizing what she did. Literally pumping his heart with her bare hands. Yknow that specific set of knowledge and practise that kept him alive long enough for the tailed beast fix.

Like you keep jumping around. First you want to credit it all to the Sage, then you want to credit it to mostly Obito. It's really messed up. Seems like it bothers you that Sakura had involvement at all.
In the real world thats equivalent to giving him a defibulator. I cant stress it enough that there were multiple medics on the battlefield who couldve done that. Only thing that could save Naruto was a bijuu. If anybody saved his life its the one who gave him the bijuu.

I dont know what you mean by jumping around either. When did I give all the credit to anybody? I said it was disputed because the communities still argue about this shit and the author hasnt clarified. I don't really care about Sakura, by Kishis own admission she's a mostly worthless character that he didnt really know what to do with. But in this particular instance, she was ancillary to saving Naruto and I don't see how thats up for debate.

His first bonds were with Iruka and Hiruzen.

His relationship with Sasuke was a rivalry that Kishimoto randomly turned into a deep friendship when no one was looking.

Thank you. Hell, even if we go among people his own age, Naruto was way more friendly with guys like Shikamaru and Rock Lee by the time the Naruto Sasuke fight happened

rambis

Banned
I think the early part of the series did an okay job of establishing that Sasuke is a Batman-style "my parents are dead" brooding edgelord, while Naruto is an annoying loser. Naruto hates Sasuke for being much cooler than him, while Sasuke hates everyone, with Naruto being particularly annoying due to the obvious shots he takes at Sasuke.

Placed on the same team, they fight with each other, they become rivals, and they slowly develop a kind of friendship with each other. IIRC, there was at least one point in the Zabuza fight where Sasuke selflessly took a hit for Naruto, even though that was strategically a bad move. Naruto similarly softened on Sasuke, even though they remained rivals.

But then Itachi showed up in the Leaf Village and humiliated Sasuke, and reminded him that his parents were dead, and made Sasuke think "WTF am I doing playing around with being friends with these people and trying to be happy? I'm supposed to hate everyone" which turned Sasuke against his team and made him join Orochimaru, as he was convinced that evil was a faster route to getting stronger.

For both Sasuke and Naruto, their friendship (such as it was) was the first friendship they had ever experienced
. Sasuke decided to throw that away, Naruto refused. Bearing in mind that Naruto's "ninja way" is that he will never back down, never surrender, and that when Sasuke first left, Naruto foolishly promised to Sakura that he would bring Sasuke back and force him to change his mind. It's pretty ridiculous that Naruto stuck to that stubbornness for so many years, and it should've destroyed Naruto's naivete when he failed to stop Sasuke from leaving.
I agree with everything here. Outside of his family who were dead by chapt1, Naruto and to a lesser extent Sakura were the only ones that Sasuke ever had kinship with despite his character of only caring for himself and his goals. For Naruto, Sasuke was the first one to ever acknowlege his strength. Sasuke being the top of the class and Naruto's secret goal, this meant everything possible to him. He was finally on the path to becoming strong.

People saying there was nothing between them are grossly misrepresnting the story. Sasuke had thrown his life and goals on the line for Naruto and Sakura mulitple times. Against Haku, against the Sound ninja, against Oro, against Gaara. It was only after the Gaara fight that he realized Naruto was far beyond him and he grew jealous, starting the defection plot.

I agree. That was seriously one of the biggest things that made zero sense to me. Why the hell would Sakura want to be with him after all of the shit that he put her through and did to not only her but her friends and village.

It makes no sense and I will never understand it as something more than he ran out of pairs to put together.

LowSignal

It was a series that went on to long and like any series that go on to long they spiral to mediocrity. I truly enjoyed Naruto until it got to
Baruto
and all the eye rolling stories that exist with it. DBZ and Bleach suffered the same fate.

Tcab96

I understand Sasuke being a terrible person, but why Sakura? While useless and a potentially bad character, I don't see how she's a terrible person.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Your not wrong OP. Sasuke and Sakura as a relationship is one of the absolute worst relationships in my history of reading manga, and i've read a lot.

Naruto and Hinata are not much better. But atleast they are not sending blatantly abusive signals towards each other, they just didn't have anything in the series that even signaled anything more than Hinata being a non existent character outside of her romance thus a half hearted movie had to be created to make up something and cater to the fans.

If Kishi says he planned it from the start, he's even worse than he would be otherwise.

rambis

Banned
I agree. That was seriously one of the biggest things that made zero sense to me. Why the hell would Sakura want to be with him after all of the shit that he put her through and did to not only her but her friends and village.

It makes no sense and I will never understand it as something more than he ran out of pairs to put together.
Women run back to abusive relationships everyday because of "love". Its not like its unheard of. Sakura's introduction to the series was basically" hi my name is Sakura and I like Sasuke". Its not suprising that she would still like him after his turn around. Its not like she stood for all the bullshit. She did try to con Naruto into giving up and killing Sasuke herself.

Inuhanyou

Women run back to abusive relationships everyday because of "love". Its not like its unheard of. Sakura's introduction to the series was basically" hi my name is Sakura and I like Sasuke". Its not suprising that she would still like him after his turn around. Its not like she stood for all the bullshit. She did try to con Naruto into giving up and killing Sasuke herself.

I think people are trying to rationalize Kishimoto's bad writing in context of itself when it doesn't have to be that way. Junko Takeuchi herself and even Kishimoto's wife apparently were not happy with how things went but Kishimoto and his staff pushed forward anyways.

We can just say that its shitty to have a girl set up to grow from her experiences and be someone special just regress right afterward and become nothing in particular.

It tells not a single iota of a positive message. Just keep loving abusive characters and maybe they will love you back secretly if you pray hard enough

Verelios

I agree with everything here. Outside of his family who were dead by chapt1, Naruto and to a lesser extent Sakura were the only ones that Sasuke ever had kinship with despite his character of only caring for himself and his goals. For Naruto, Sasuke was the first one to ever acknowlege his strength. Sasuke being the top of the class and Naruto's secret goal, this meant everything possible to him. He was finally on the path to becoming strong.

People saying there was nothing between them are grossly misrepresnting the story. Sasuke had thrown his life and goals on the line for Naruto and Sakura mulitple times. Against Haku, against the Sound ninja, against Oro, against Gaara. It was only after the Gaara fight that he realized Naruto was far beyond him and he grew jealous, starting the defection plot.
I'm kinda hesitant to agree because (retcon!) Kishi added a lot of montages and flashbacks that were basically Naruto hanging around and messing with Shika/Kiba/Cho, with the caveat being that afterwards they left/had a caring family to go back to and he didn't. Which is like, other than the rivalry, the only other thing Naruto shared with Sasuke and not them. But continuity right?

aBarreras

I'm kinda hesitant to agree because (retcon!) Kishi added a lot of montages and flashbacks that were basically Naruto hanging around and messing with Shika/Kiba/Cho, with the caveat being that afterwards they left/had a caring family to go back to and he didn't. Which is like, other than the rivalry, the only other thing Naruto shared with Sasuke and not them. But continuity right?

how that affects cotinuity exactly?

In the real world thats equivalent to giving him a defibulator. I cant stress it enough that there were multiple medics on the battlefield who couldve done that. Only thing that could save Naruto was a bijuu. If anybody saved his life its the one who gave him the bijuu.
For a fantasy world with advanced technology, defibrillation isn't such a foreign concept where they couldn't have just sought out a lightning user on the battlefield. Any medical ninja wasn't there, she was. Why is it difficult for you to accept that she helped kept him alive?

I dont know what you mean by jumping around either. When did I give all the credit to anybody? I said it was disputed because the communities still argue about this shit and the author hasnt clarified. I don't really care about Sakura, by Kishis own admission she's a mostly worthless character that he didnt really know what to do with. But in this particular instance, she was ancillary to saving Naruto and I don't see how thats up for debate
Communities argue about a lot of shit. Why bring it up to pointlessly argue about a fact of what happened in the manga. I don't particularly like Sakura either but I'm not about to go out of my way to take away from her limited manga feats. There are better ways to dunk on her.

Verelios

how that affects cotinuity exactly?
?

In the beginning of the story it's said no one played with Naruto because he was the village leper. Hell, no one really talks to him if they don't need to aside from Iruka. 500 chapters later, welcome contradiction.

Sesha

Kishimoto saying he didn't have time to focus on romance translates to he didn't care about focusing on romance. He had time, lots of it, since he spent a lot of time on arbitrary nonsense and plot cul-de-sacs.

The series should have been about Naruto and the other hosts in general. Naruto didn't even give them a second thought throughout the series even after how much he agonized and raged over Gaara's fate and the discrimination they both faced. You'd think that would be something that would set the stage for the rest of the series considering all the time that was spent on developing Gaara and the whole concept of demons and hosts.

rambis

Banned
I think people are trying to rationalize Kishimoto's bad writing in context of itself when it doesn't have to be that way. Junko Takeuchi herself and even Kishimoto's wife apparently were not happy with how things went but Kishimoto and his staff pushed forward anyways.

We can just say that its shitty to have a girl set up to grow from her experiences and be someone special just regress right afterward and become nothing in particular.

It tells not a single iota of a positive message. Just keep loving abusive characters and maybe they will love you back secretly if you pray hard enough
Sakura wasnt ever meant to be a character of focus which is mostly why she lacked development. Kishi admits that she was supposed to be on the level of Kiba and Shikamaru. She mostly only got panel time by default. Even then she still didnt stick threw all of his bullshit.

But as far as their relationship, its not like he was only abusive to her.
p_00011.jpg

Sasuke cared for both of them. Ready to risk his life several times. It wasnt "love" but again thats not in Sasuke's character.

Sesha

Sasuke telling Naruto to save Sakura once holds little weight against everything that happened since.

?

In the beginning of the story it's said no one played with Naruto because he was the village leper. Hell, no one really talks to him if they don't need to aside from Iruka. 500 chapters later, welcome contradiction.

You mean pariah, not leper.

Verelios

Sasuke telling Naruto to save Sakura once holds little weight against everything that happened since.

You mean pariah, not leper.
Well, yeah, sure, both aren't going to get visitors. Bottom line is he was supposed to be treated as someone 'hated' village wide.

cordy

Banned
Yeah...

We all know Sasuke/Sakura is shit and Naruto/Sakura would make much more sense and is better. No offense to Hinata and all but eh idk she just never seemed like Naruto's equal, the same with Sakura with Sasuke. With Naruto/Sakura though idk, there was a certain level of "ok, I respect you now and we've changed from the past" type of thing. Naruto and Sakura's relationship has changed constantly from chapter one to the end of the series. Sakura and Sasuke though, man it really made her character worse. Again, no offense to Hinata but it's like her and Sakura's whole characters revolved around these dudes rather than how they were in other parts of the series. I miss the Hinata who fought Neji who was more than "that girl who likes Naruto", I miss the Sakura who was about becoming a better version of herself, I miss that shit.

Idk, Naruto had a lot of shitty problems with it, that was just one of them. We could go for years talking about all the problems the series had.

Inuhanyou

Sakura wasnt ever meant to be a character of focus which is mostly why she lacked development. Kishi admits that she was supposed to be on the level of Kiba and Shikamaru. She mostly only got panel time by default. Even then she still didnt stick threw all of his bullshit.

But as far as their relationship, its not like he was only abusive to her.
p_00011.jpg

Sasuke cared for both of them. Ready to risk his life several times. It wasnt "love" but again thats not in Sasuke's character.

What her intent was means nothing to what she ended up being, which was the 'heroine' of the franchise who got to stick around for the final battle . In that sense, its even worse because she got screentime and ended up being pointless as a character outside of her disgusting one sided attraction that was retconned in like the last 2 chapters.

Sasuke considering her a friend or thinking of her as a close comrade at one point in the same vein as naruto also doesn't excuse his treatment of her for the entirety of the series outside of those one or two instances where he ever focused on her to begin with, especially in comparison to her almost singular focus on him at the cost of her own character development, especially for some throw away romance which was never developed in the first place.

It can't be rationalized.

Especially when Kishimoto says things like 'i put in narusaku moments as red herrings HAHAHA!" no kishi, you being who wrote the story are not clever enough to pretend that can you have red herrings for plot points you didn't even properly develop to fake out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom