• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I can't enjoy the ending of Naruto (big spoilers here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mawile

Banned
Naruto went downhill with Shippuden, but it went REALLY downhill after the Pain arc. Itachi should've never been revived, Sasuke kept changing personalities left and right "Oh, I'm crazy!" "Oh, wait, I'm not crazy, I'm normal!", Sakura being the most passive and obsessed towards an abusive dude was disgusting, Obito Uchiha being the most ass pull thing to introduce to the story, Obito's fight with them him not using MOST of powers that would've easily stopped them all, and the most biggest hype killer of all time...

The villain they hyped from the get go, Madara, was literally just filler for a villain with no build up or any real thought process into it and they put in some dumb Adam and Eve forbidden fruit to the mix to explain Chakra which had me scratching my head big time. It felt like Kishi was M. Night Shyamalan with all these ridiculous plot twists and they added up so much over time the story was ruined for it in my book.

Nightbird

I'm very happy that Naruto ended up with Hinata. That girl was probably the only one in the entire series that put in work for her beloved.

Sakura is shit. She's a good healer, and thats about it with her good attributes.

the fact that Sasuke, Orichimaru, and fucking Kabuto somehow all got pardons for the shit they did have and will always leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Saskue/Sakura was the 2nd worst ship only beaten by sasuke/karin as at least Sakura had a little bit more character than the complete slave that Karin was.

Yado

I don't think it's abusive at all tbh. Fighting/killing is a way of life for these characters, it's what they're trained to do since childhood. Our real-world reactions to violence isn't applicable in the narutoverse.

I don't think it's abusive at all tbh. Fighting/killing is a way of life for these characters, it's what they're trained to do since childhood. Our real-world reactions to violence isn't applicable in the narutoverse.
I don't think Naruto himself has ever killed anyone. I can't really think of anyone.

LotusHD

Banned

That doesn't make it okay. I mean hell, both Sasuke and Sakura got called out several times on their effect on one another. Furthermore, their classmates all seem to be in much healthier relationships.

---

In hindsight, Ino's cool in my book. Had a crush, but bailed when she realized Sasuke was no good.

Sesha

Because the ending was the shit cherry on top of a double shit sundae with extra frosting. Kishimoto is a hack, pure and simple.

Yado

That doesn't make it okay. I mean hell, both Sasuke and Sakura got called out several times on their effect on one another. Furthermore, their classmates all seem to be in much healthier relationships.

---

In hindsight, Ino's cool in my book. Had a crush, but bailed when she realized Sasuke was no good.

They're trained killers. Sakura and Naruto chose to follow Sasuke and he retaliated as a result, that's not an abusive relationship, it's characters who decided to fight someone to get their point across. Furthermore, Naruto has gone to greater lengths to retrieve Sasuke, has lost more as a result and he STILL worships the ground Sasuke walks on, I think people only see it as abusive because Sakura is a female. I doubt any of the characters in the narutoverse give a shit about Sasuke's actions, the only people holding onto this are the readers.

I will never forgive Sakura for saying she loved Naruto just so he would stop chasing Sasuke to bring him back. Bitch deserves all the abuse she got and can stay with the L of having Sasuke as a lover.

Naruto x Hinata all the way. Romance is super shitty in Naruto and only Minato and Kushina had somewhat of a good romance.

Mawile

Banned

Sasuke wanting to kill the only people that showed him affection no matter what is indeed abusive.

BenjiGAF

Really? Because other than the obvious sexualized designs for some female characters (not all), Naruto has a pretty wide cast of strong female characters, many of whom are not just there to be gawked at or to be romantic pursuits to male characters.

Idk, I fell off the series during Jump Monthly's timeskip shenanigans. I didn't see like half of the actual series, all my stuff is based off the original run (Start-end of Chunin Exams) and bits and pieces of Shippuden. I am probably pretty off-base in my observations, just the impression I got.

The weird thing is apparently he based Sakura off his wife.

So homeboy wants a divorce, then?

LotusHD

Banned
They're trained killers. Sakura and Naruto chose to follow Sasuke and he retaliated as a result, that's not an abusive relationship, it's characters who decided to fight someone to get their point across. Furthermore, Naruto has gone to greater lengths to retrieve Sasuke, has lost more as a result and he STILL worships the ground Sasuke walks on, I think people only see it as abusive because Sakura is a female. I doubt any of the characters in the narutoverse give a shit about Sasuke's actions, the only people holding onto this are the readers.

Nah, we know it's unhealthy on all sides. Naruto not knowing when to give the fuck up. Sakura not knowing when to give up. She's not completely blameless herself either, as she had tried to manipulate him several times in an attempt to get him to stay. But yea, the thread is focusing on Sakura/Sasuke ruining the story for OP, so that's what we're focusing on. If anything, I appreciated Sasuke's blunt honesty for the majority of the story. He told them to fuck off several times, yet they never did. Treated them like shit all the time. At least you could see his friendship with Naruto. But Sakura? Nah...

Realistically it's weird as fuck that he ended up with her, that Sakura never once thought she was too good for him, but that's a mediocre story for ya. Just because it's in a universe populated by ninja doesn't really change that imo, but whatever.

Goldboy

Honestly, Shikamaru x Temari is the only pairing I liked at the end of Naruto. I also love how we still have no idea who Metal Lee's mom is, lol.

Ogodei

I meant
in the bedroom lol

It gets weirder when you find out in Super that Goku
doesn't know what kissing is, after having two kids.

Not a romantic guy, just goes straight for it. Either that or Chichi just got him hammered drunk both times.

The 5 Kage arc almost got me to drop the manga, all 3 mains went completely off the deep end

I never lost so much respect for a character after Naruto hyperventilated. Sakura pussied out when trying to kill Sasuke after she manipulated her friends, and Sasuke went full crazy.

Mizuki didn't survive that shit he got. I don't give a shit what anyone says, dude got beaten to death by clones

I still don't understand how Naruto managed to beat a Chunin in the beginning of the series and then was weak as hell right after that. Mizuki must have cheated in the exams.

Mawile

Banned
The 5 Kage arc almost got me to drop the manga, all 3 mains went completely off the deep end

I never lost so much respect for a character after Naruto hyperventilated. Sakura pussied out when trying to kill Sasuke after she manipulated her friends, and Sasuke went full crazy.

I get the other stuff, but what's wrong with him hyperventilating? Dude went through a ton of shit around then.

rambis

Banned
290da10970b32473fb2dc44c0819a632.jpg
:p
Lol this is hilarious.

But as far as OP, Kishi said he didnt really have time for romance. The story had grown too convoluted and he was given a deadline to finish the series at 700.

I don't really agree that they were a random pairing though. Despite pissing him off to all ends not realizing that Naruto and him are basically the same and you cant pick on somebody about being an orphan to another orphan, Sakura is one of the few Sasuke ever showed any kind of companionship or gratitude to in Part 1. The other being Naruto. Elsewise it was his character to only care about himself and his ultimate goal.

Part 2 is a bit more complicated. He did try to kill her the first couple times in the limited interaction they had but I thought it was made clear via Itachi that Sasuke was unstable mentally and could be manipulated. He was basically this way until he met the Hokage. Fast forward to the war and the two clearly had a moment when she saved him from Kaguya's hax. Thats really all it takes for romance in a shonen.

BenjiGAF

I still don't understand how Naruto managed to beat a Chunin in the beginning of the series and then was weak as hell right after that. Mizuki must have cheated in the exams.

Cheating was half the point, and you know Mizuki is gonna be all over that as a concept.

As for Naruto...i got nothing.

rambis

Banned
I get the other stuff, but what's wrong with him hyperventilating? Dude went through a ton of shit around then.
Right. Finding out all the dark shit about his beloved village. Finding out Sasuke had basically passed the point of no return and that Sakura was planning to kill him.

Thats probably the best arc in the series personally and got me hyped for Sasuke vs Naruto more than anything else in the series. Really hate that Kishi couldnt capitalize on that hype right away and decided to do the war arc.

Naruto/Hinata is serviceable. I just wanted them together because Hinata was adorable in that Pain invasion arc, and because Naruto could do so much better than Sakura. I was surprised Hinata actually "won" though.

However, their relationship is barren as fuck. I dunno if the gaiden or some other spin-off thing puts more detail in it. All I know is that Naruto really only remembered she existed (despite everything) in a shitty movie that rushed the fuck out of their romance.

That's pretty much my stance as well. I was never fond of the pairing and I feel like people overlook how shallow it was because of all the "Hinata's Best!Girl" crap, but it was at least not offensive like Sakura and Sasuke actually becoming a couple.

If anything, if Kishimoto had to pair up Sakura with some, it shouldv'e been Rock Lee.

are you kidding me, this dude has Sasuke's nuts so far down his throat he hyperventilates at the revelation his friends have had enough of Sasuke's shit, like you just saw this dude try to murder Sakura. And this coming right after he let those Cloud guys beat the shit out of him and then he makes a fool of himself bowing to the Raikage. His obsession with Sasuke was turned up to 100. It all goes back to Kishi's failure of building up Naruto and Sasuke's relationship before Sasuke ran away.

Only thing I really like about Sasuke is that he too felt genuinely confused why those two stalkers keep coming for him, guy fully admits he's a shit heel and tells them to fuck off b

That's pretty much my stance as well. I was never fond of the pairing and I feel like people overlook how shallow it was because of all the "Hinata's Best!Girl" crap, but it was at least not offensive like Sakura and Sasuke actually becoming a couple.

If anything, if Kishimoto had to pair up Sakura with some, it shouldv'e been Rock Lee.

Rock Lee getting with Sakura would have been some "nice guy" fantasy crap. She's too shallow to go for him.

I still can't say I understand all this love Hinata gets. I really don't think she's anything special

She was the only person who didn't treat Naruto like garbage when they were all growing up. She didn't know how to be his friend due to crippling shyness, but she always rooted for him and was nice when she could work up the courage. She gets major points from me for not being an asshole.

Also, she took on an opponent that outclassed her by orders of magnitude because she cared about him. Those're some brass balls.

P.S. How is the Boruto stuff? Any good or meh?

She was the only person who didn't treat Naruto like garbage when they were all growing up. She didn't know how to be his friend due to crippling shyness, but she always rooted for him and was nice when she could work up the courage. She gets major points from me for not being an asshole.

Also, she took on an opponent that outclassed her by orders of magnitude because she cared about him. Those're some brass balls.

P.S. How is the Boruto stuff? Any good or meh?

She fought her cousin because Naruto inspired her IIRC. That a fuck up like Naruto never gave up, and in her life growing up ostracized, she was well...inspired by Naruto overcoming all the hate he got.

Hinata is GOAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom