• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I can't enjoy the ending of Naruto (big spoilers here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope,
Nanao is one along with Ichika (Rukia and Renji's daughter)
That's the thing, must have skipped Nanao, Soul Society was never really explored. Far as I can tell the bulk of the shinigami was supposed to be picked up from the outside where the souls wander and I don't recall they were supposed to live real lives there either. They are souls after all not soulhumans.

The last arc was kind of hilarious in that the level of power-ups that Naruto and Sasuke kept getting were so increasingly drastic and ludicrious.

Naruto almost kills himself taking out Kakuzu with the combination of his entire team helping. Soon after that, he beats all 6 bodies of Pain simultaneously despite the fact that Pain beat THE ENTIRE VILLAGE simultaneously because of a training he spent like 10 days on.

At that point it just ramps absurdly over and over. He gets the Fox power forcibly (in like a couple of weeks) which is enough for him to beat up the LEGENDARY RAIKAGE who is buffed with Infinite Chakra, by himself. He also beats several other kage buffed with the same power-up. Then he beats up Madara Uchiha, who buffed himself with the ultimate power, then beats up the progenitor of the ninja race (granted he gets help from Sasuke there), but at the end of the series, Naruto and Sasuke are almost literally Gods to the point that nobody could ever plausibly defeat them in combat, either in the current ninja world or even throughout the entire history of humanity, because he proved it.

Like, at least in Dragon Ball, you could speculate there's literal deities that could beat Goku in a fight.

At least Naruto trained a couple days for it, Sasuke just found random eye power ups so he could keep up.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why does Naruto's kids have his whiskers? I thought that was part of the sealing technique used to put the Nine-Tailed Fox into him. That shit ain't genetic.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At least Naruto trained a couple days for it, Sasuke just found random eye power ups so he could keep up.

Saying Naruto earned is a huge stretch. He earned it about as much as Sasuke did. At least Sasuke had to actually beat a guy in a fight to get the Mangekyo. Naruto sat on a waterfall for a week.

Why does Naruto's kids have his whiskers? I thought that was part of the sealing technique used to put the Nine-Tailed Fox into him. That shit ain't genetic.

Kurama's influence on Naruto's genes, I suppose. Also, gross, it probably means Kurama was watching when they were conceived. Gross.

Kyuur

There are a lot of things wrong with the ending of Naruto but I wouldn't say the ending ships are one of them.

Ray Down

Banned

It's just a hold over of Naruto design, don't think about it to much.

That or Naruto is so ingrain with Karama that his spawn can have some traits of him.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't it? When Naruto was born but before he got the fox he had them.

Naruto's mother had the Fox in her at the time. You can just hand-wave it by saying that affects the genetic makeup of the kid or something.

Saying Naruto earned is a huge stretch. He earned it about as much as Sasuke did. At least Sasuke had to actually beat a guy in a fight to get the Mangekyo. Naruto sat on a waterfall for a week.
I mean that's cliché super training right there. Sasuke didn't have to beat Itachi at all, Itachi didn't want to win and even prepared to bring him his eyes for even further BS power ups.

Exodust

Banned
Naruto and Sasuke were each others first kiss, and 90% of the series is Naruto trying to win back Sasuke. You can't convince me that Naruto/Sasuke wasn't the true end game.

Sakura and Sasuke are in an abusive relationship

I think its brave that they portray that, that sometimes the girl willingly stays with the abusive husband.

Ganhyun

It really is amazing how much power Naruto got in Shippuden. I got as far as him and the 9 tails deciding to work together to beat the big bad guy and then it started doing flashbacks to Itachi, so I stopped. The flashback episodes really bugged me in the original too, so I'll wait until I can watch more of the main story before moving on. Or did they put the rest of the plot in movies instead?

Ralemont

not me
I gave up on Sakura's character when she tried manipulating Naruto by coming onto him. It was clear then that Kishimoto had no fucking clue what he was doing with her, and so I was bitterly unsurprised when he unwittingly justified the toxic dependency of abusive relationships by insisting Sakura's love for Sasuke was worthy. Just a disgusting character all around.

I still remember a thread title from back in my Naruto forum days and it turned out to be totally on point: "Haruno Sakura: The weed mistaken for a flower"

Ray Down

Banned
I gave up on Sakura's character when she tried manipulating Naruto by coming onto him. It was clear then that Kishimoto had no fucking clue what he was doing with her, and so I was bitterly unsurprised when he unwittingly justified the toxic dependency of abusive relationships by insisting Sakura's love for Sasuke was worthy. Just a disgusting character all around.

I still remember a thread title from back in my Naruto forum days and it turned out to be totally on point: "Haruno Sakura: The weed mistaken for a flower"

Such an awesome title.

The premise of this thread speaks to me.

SakuSasu sucks and NaruHina is about as plain as cardboard. Everyone should've either ended with some one else or alone.

Zoe

That's the thing, must have skipped Nanao, Soul Society was never really explored. Far as I can tell the bulk of the shinigami was supposed to be picked up from the outside where the souls wander and I don't recall they were supposed to live real lives there either. They are souls after all not soulhumans.

The simple way to look at is if you need to eat, then you can function as a living human would. The various clans are there by birth, not by death.

kiguel182

Never finished Naruto but it was obvious this was the end goal. The characters are terrible anyway.

All this talk about "the real enemy" almost makes me curious to see it to the end. Is the anime done with?

I enjoyed some moments of Naruto but it peaked at the exams easily. Or maybe I was just young and dumb.

Ray Down

Banned
Never finished Naruto but it was obvious this was the end goal. The characters are terrible anyway.

All this talk about "the real enemy" almost makes me curious to see it to the end. Is the anime done with?

I enjoyed some moments of Naruto but it peaked at the exams easily. Or maybe I was just young and dumb.
Anime isn't done, it's animating side novel material that takes place after the final battle.

But the final battle is at least.

Ray Down

Banned

D6l8fu1.gif

pizzacat

Banned
Yeah I said that a lot
Its a cliche and the series even addresses it as a cliche by showing the past but like it makes sense

Hope Sakura likes getting beaten I guess or Naruto likes the fact that he married someone who stalked him and obsessed over him

You hated it because Sasuke/Sakura is absolute garbage, OP. Naruto and Hinata, sure whatever. I didn't like Hinata because I typically hate characters like her and Naruto's sudden jump to having feelings for her was lame (he should have written in a lot more moments to show development for this on his side, not just hers) but at least it wasn't offensive. She's ultimately a nice girl and cares about him a lot.

That other horseshit however, had none of that. I had hoped (and I'm sure many others did also) that Sakura would realize that Sasuke is a dick WHO TRIED TO KILL HER and be over that nonsense, showing growth as a character. She didn't have to end up with Naruto, just not be pathetic enough to keep going for Sasuke. Unfortunately, she was that pathetic and had zero growth whatsoever. And just like with Naruto's pendulum swing to being all in for Hina, we're supposed to buy that Sauce suddenly loves her. Nope.

It's one of the worst pairings I've ever seen in anything, let alone a manga. I can't even enjoy the fact that Sarada is actually super adorable because I know who spawned her.

Yeah I said that a lot
Its a cliche and the series even addresses it as a cliche by showing the past but like it makes sense

Hope Sakura likes getting beaten I guess or Naruto likes the fact that he married someone who stalked him and obsessed over him

Personally Id rather go for the kinky thirsty girl than the masochistic tsundere girl. Hinata>>>>>Sakura. Easily.

Sakura and Sasuke are in an abusive relationship

I think its brave that they portray that, that sometimes the girl willingly stays with the abusive husband.

That's certainly one way to look at it...

For real though. i don't usually get invested in "shipping" at all but when i read Sasuke stabbing Sakura near the end i literally said "What The Fuck" out loud...

As a long time follower, it was a terrible ending.
Also, people don't know that Luffy won't care about romance even at the end when he becomes pirate king
or die :(

Veldin

All of the characters went to shit in Part 2, including Naruto himself. It's no surprise to me that the author's idea of romance was hideous in the end as well. Around the Pain arc I just fuckin' gave up and started hate-reading it.

mrmickfran

It was like "Girls like bad boys" taken to the absolute extreme.

Before the timeskip, she had absolutely no reason to like him. He was a complete douche. I can buy the whole "Oooh, he's cute" thing, but what reason did she have to actually declare that she loved him? Nothing

And then there's the timeskip. Sasuke almost killed her, her friends and was an actual wanted man in her country. You'd think she would be more mature and see the error of her ways but nope, she wants to marry him.

Naruto dodged a bullet by going with Hinata. Sakura's an idiot.

captainpat

And then there's the timeskip. Sasuke almost killed her, her friends and was an actual wanted man in her country. You'd think she would be more mature and see the error of her ways but nope, she wants to marry him.

Tbf you say largely the same thing about Naruto. The dude let Karui beat the shit of him for Sasuke

Tbf you say largely the same thing about Naruto. The dude let Karui beat the shit of him for Sasuke
Naruto became a shittier character because of Sasuke too. All throughout Shippuden it was "I wonder what Sasuke is up to..", "I'm going to bring him back no matter what!" or how Naruto said he will die WITH Sasuke instead of just outright saying he will kill him to protect his village and loved ones. It's so stupid.
It pisses me off how almost everyone was obssessed with this man.

The final arc of Naruto was so fucking bad.

I did feel a little bittersweet after reading the final issue though. Nostalgia more than anything. I started reading that manga when I was like 14 years old.

Ralemont

not me

This is true, but whereas Naruto's obsession fits into his larger character theme of not giving up on people and turning them back onto the path, Sakura's obsession submarines her character development.

Put in another way, Naruto wants to bring Sasuke back for reasons larger than Sasuke, Sakura wants to do it because of a childhood crush. Sakura deciding to kill Sasuke for reasons bigger than herself is when it seems she might become something as a character (the whole scene of Sai truthbombing her is wonderful), then almost immediately we get the "confession" a shitty fight and she's back to pining after him.

Toki767

I wonder if Sasuke and Sakura basically just had a one night stand or something at one point.

Never really seemed like Sasuke stayed in the village much after the final battle.

RedBoot

To some extent I think the point of Naruto (and Sakura's) obsession with "saving" Sasuke was to end the cycle of failed trios (Kakashi/Rin/Obito, Jiraya/Tsunade/Orochimaru), at least as far as literary themes go. Doesn't make it any less dumb.

Also, people don't know that Luffy won't care about romance even at the end when he becomes pirate king
or die :(

My own secret baseless insane theory is that Luffy
and Hancock had a kid over the timeskip, Goku style, and it will be revealed at the end of the series or during an epilogue. It wouldn't be the first time Luffy omitted important information, after all, and would have some value to the story (solving why Hancock suddenly isn't getting ill because Luffy is gone, would parallel Ace's past a bit). Not going to happen, of course.

SaniOYOYOY

This is also why One Piece is a terrible series. Oda has failed on every level to even attempt romantic relationships between characters. Sad!

hey the eventual dragon and luffy's mom back story will bring everyone to tears i swear..

goda plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom