• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I'm still excited for The Evil Within!

rXZwbUC.png

The Evil Within (known also as Psycho Break in Japan) is a new survival horror game being developed for all current gen consoles [Xbox One, PS4, and PC] while also being developed for the prior gen. [PS3, Xbox 360] This is Tango Works first jump into the gaming world, and the creator of all this is the one, the only Shinji Mikami. Now take a good hard look at this guy because he has been around the gaming industry for awhile and has done a lot of great games previously. If somehow you don’t have any clue who this man is, let me just name drop a few titles that I'm sure you’re familiar with and the roles he had for those titles.

6XyT3jal.jpg

Resident Evil - Director/Producer
Resident Evil 2 - Producer
Resident Evil 3 - Producer
Resident Evil CV - Producer
REmake - Director
Resident Evil 4 - Director
Devil May Cry - Executive producer
Dino Crisis - Director/Producer
Vanquish - Director
God Hand - Director

The list goes on, but these are probably the more notable releases you know of. Yet as you can see from this list alone, the titles he has directed have found a huge following and most have had positive reception with critics and gamers alike. The one extreme caveat to that being God Hand which was slammed in reviews, yet players have continue to enjoy and appreciate to this day and considered a cult hit.

I7pKwWEl.jpg

This leads up to Mikami’s new studio Tango Gameworks with Bethesda taking over for their publishing duties. Back in April of 2012, the Project Zwei was revealed and that Shinji Mikami was attached as the director. Now if we look back at the list of games I already jotted down, particularly the ones he has had a director position in, you can see why this title would have my curiosity. Fast forward to cryptic videos leading up to April 15th, 2013 which officially announced the new title The Evil Within and that this was going to be a survival horror game by the master himself, now you have my attention!

ubvGjMm.jpg

The Evil Withins story is rather unknown but of course in typical horror fashion, this is probably for the best. Yet there is little information that we do know. You play as Detective Sebastian Castellanos (what a name) and you get called to the scene of a pretty violent scene in what appears to be a hospital or psych ward. You encounter a deadly looking character; you’re knocked out, and then find yourself in a nightmare world you must fight to survive. Game play primarily consists of third person shooting, stealth mechanics, and one would hope for either puzzle solving or item management. Most folks seem to think it looks very comparable to Resident Evil 4, and considering the source, that makes perfect sense. Granted this looks much darker than anything RE4 threw at us. Some of the locations and enemies that they have showcased so far look absolutely scary. Boxhead specifically looks quite intimidating. So fast forward to today, and after a recent showing at PAX, there have been some complaints and worries that The Evil Within might not be so great, that perhaps there will be little to fear. Personally I think it’s all a bit too soon to be calling the game a masterpiece or a failure. One of the main reasons I’m truly excited for this title is not only because of Shinji Mikami’s previous works, but from a quote that was in an interview Edge magazine did with him.

He stated:
“Not much has changed when it comes to instilling terror in the player,” Mikami says. “But people have got used to the tropes of horror and they know what’s coming next, so in that sense it is harder to make them afraid.”

iWnREDLOiD7Ej.gif

iwfdZdWWACogF.gif

I find this quote both interesting and fascinating because from what a lot of folks have seen, the game seems to be sticking to tropes of horror in a lot of ways and some folks are disappointed because of that. Now perhaps this is just due to the limited amount we have been shown of the game so far. I mean you want to invoke a sense of dread in people with what you’re showing before the release, and you always want to showcase exactly why people should be interested in your game. Yet at the same time you don’t want to give to many things away. You want to keep that fear, excitement, and dread inducing moments of panic fresh for people, unspoiled if you will. It reminds me of back before Resident Evil 4 was released. We had seen quite a bit of Resident Evil 4 before the game was released, or so we had thought. There was honestly so much more content, surprises, and overall amazing moments in that game that we had no idea even existed from the videos we had seen until we actually played it and now RE4 is heralded as one of the best games of all time and rightly so. Its game play is highly refined, the pacing is perfect, and it combines intense action with horror overtones that work extremely well together. Yet can lighting strike twice though? Will The Evil Within become one of the best survival horror games of all time? Only time will tell, but I will leave you with another quote from Edge, and let you decide.

“The scariest parts will be when you encounter enemies that cannot be killed with a gun,” Mikami grins. “Even if you shoot them they won’t die, so you’ll have to run or use a trap to beat them. That should be fun – and also scary.”

We only have a few more months till the release but I'm damn excited still. With Mikami's history of games and his utmost appreciation for the horror genre, I can't contain my excitment. While recently there has been a flood of indie horror games, especially games where you play the defensless victim who can only run away in terror (see Outlast, Amnesia, etc). The Evil Within looks to contain moments like this along with being able to combat the evil creatures that are attacking you. Here's to hoping it's his best work yet and a great new addition to the action horror genre that I feel is extremely lacking today.

v1oz

I'm still looking forward. But I think they've increased the action since the erlier demos we've seen of this.

Raptor

This is a sure buy for me ever since I watched that gameplay in where ther emain character made some headshots and the blood and sounds were delicious.

I will buy this instead of Diablo 3 on August for sure.

So far there doesnt look like enough evolution in gameplay from RE4. I need to play it of-course, but based on videos it doesn't look like much has changed.
I loved RE4's gameplay in 2005, dealt with it for RE5 in 2008 and loathed it with Shadows of the Damned in 2011.

Looks like a step back after Vanguish, a game that 100% made you feel fully in control of your character and have him move how he should in that situation.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm still in day one, I'm most concerned about the technical presentation though, idTech is already ass, and apparently this was barely maintaining 30fps in the recent showing. Very very concerning to me.

Ryuuga

Banned
I'll judge the game on the merits of the game itself and not the names attached to it. You'll most likely find I said the same thing in the PAX demo thread, that still remains true today, tomorrow and even after release.

So far there doesnt look like enough evolution in gameplay from RE4. I need to play it of-course, but based on videos it doesn't look like much has changed.
I loved RE4's gameplay in 2005, dealt with it for RE5 in 2008 and loathed it with Shadows of the Damned in 2011.

Looks like a step back after Vanguish, a game that 100% made you feel fully in control of your character and have him move how he should in that situation.

I get this, but I also think that could possible take away from the horror feelings if your able to dart around. It's hard to explain but it's one of the reasons why I loved the limited camera angles and tank controls of the previous RE games. I feel they actualy added to the horror feeling. Granted that is a topic for another thread all together because folks seem to either fall on one side or another.

Raptor

I'm still in day one, I'm most concerned about the technical presentation though, idTech is already ass, and apparently this was barely maintaining 30fps in the recent showing. Very very concerning to me.

For Wolfenstein TNO the engine can't do anything else than 60fps and this game can't mantain 30fps?

How weird.

I am extremely excited for the game. The PAX reactions bummed me out, but ultimately the reactions felt more like people were dropped in an out of context moment + the fact that maybe since it's a horror game, it won't do well in a 15 minute span. From the videos that i saw, it looks delicious, so i have faith in the project.

Endo Punk

I'm on a blackout for this game. Can't wait to play it, if the reviews don't tank my expectations I will definitely get it day 1. I'm not saying Mikami can't do wrong but it's very exciting to see his return to survival horror.

What's kinda funny is that the title The Evil Within is so similar to Resident Evil, when you stop and think about it.

“The scariest parts will be when you encounter enemies that cannot be killed with a gun,” Mikami grins. “Even if you shoot them they won’t die, so you’ll have to run or use a trap to beat them. That should be fun – and also scary.”

That scares the shit out of me just thinking about it.

May I be directed to the media that paints this game as shit?

Probably in refernece to the pax east trailer, and yeah... visually the game doesn't have the same wow factor RE4 had back in the day, that's for sure.

I'm on a blackout for this game. Can't wait to play it, if the reviews don't tank my expectations I will definitely get it day 1. I'm not saying Mikami can't do wrong but it's very exciting to see his return to survival horror.

Yep, the last trailer watched was around Pax and I really, really don't want to watch anything else. I'm going to try resisting as much as possible.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
b..bu....but the previews said it will be shit! D:

eXistor

Yeah I still have high hopes for this myself and I think the game will be appreciated by the right people. I'm afraid that won't translate to sales though.

Yeah I still have high hopes for this myself and I think the game will be appreciated by the right people. I'm afraid that won't translate to sales though.

This is the truly scary thought. Seeing as we get so little horror games of this nature as it is.

Can't wait to play this.

RE6 has a nice evolution of the RE4 combat system, and it's probably one of the best in a TPS.

DedValve

Banned
My expectations for this is either Re4-2 or remake 2. I won't be disappointed if it fails as I'm not deeply invested in the series but that's what I want out if it.

I have this pre-ordered and fully paid for PS4. Started to have thoughts of maybe transferring that money to Evolve after the poor PAX reactions - but i'm still undecided.

Andrew.

Banned
Been very much looking forward to it. I love August releases. I doubt I'll be disappointed as Mikami has never let me down.

Ertai

In Mikami we trust, i'll still pick this up day 1 regardless of the negative feedback this game got recently. Enjoyed the footage so far, pretty excited for this!

It's still my most-wanted game of the year. Last trailer got me really pumped...don't think I'll be viewing any more footage until it comes out.

I swear I remember reading a staff list of those working on the project around the time Evil Within was initially announced. I remember it saying something along the lines of Ikumi Nakamura handling it as (first time) Game Director with Shinji Mikami in an Executive/Chief Directing position. Sadly, The Tango Gameworks site is a little weird to navigate, and I can't seem to find the specific page that I originally read. However, the "Real Tango" comic that they have on the site does continue to name Ikumi Nakamura as "Game Director" and Shinji Mikami as "Lead Pun-ishing Director".

Now I don't fully know the extent of the difference in positions between a director and a chief director in the game industry to be specific, but could Ikumi Nakamura have been given a role with more creative input? Many others have been quick to jump onto the thought that Mikami has full directing control ala Resident Evil 4 and God Hand. I just can't shake the feeling that he's in more of a supervising/team managing role with some design influences bleeding into Nakamura's direction. Could all just be speculation, I dunno.

StuBurns

Banned
I swear I remember reading a staff list of those working on the project around the time Evil Within was initially announced. I remember it saying something along the lines of Ikumi Nakamura handling it as (first time) Game Director with Shinji Mikami in an Executive/Chief Directing position. Sadly, The Tango Gameworks site is a little weird to navigate, and I can't seem to find the specific page that I originally read. However, the "Real Tango" comic that they have on the site does continue to name Ikumi Nakamura as "Game Director" and Shinji Mikami as "Lead Pun-ishing Director".

Now I don't fully know the extent of the difference in positions between a director and a chief director in the game industry to be specific, but could Ikumi Nakamura have been given a role with more creative input? Many others have been quick to jump onto the thought that Mikami has full directing control ala Resident Evil 4 and God Hand. I just can't shake the feeling that he's in more of a supervising/team managing role with some design influences bleeding into Nakamura's direction. Could all just be speculation, I dunno.
She was the director of Zwei, with Mikami being the Exec Director, but TEW isn't that game.

Not sure I saw anything I didn't like.

To me it looks kinda rough, especially compared to stuff like The Last of Us. That may be setting the bar too high, though. I just think about how amazing RE4 looked when it debuted and that trailer almost looks like Evil Within could be in the same engine.

-MD-

I'm still very excited for it, it's my most anticipated game right now for 2014. If it ends up being RE4-2 I'll probably wait until it hits $5, I'll plop down the $60 if it ends up being a good, real survival horror game though.

More REmake, less RE4 please. Hope the PC version is good.

-MD-

What do you mean by "step back"? You couldn't in a million years take Vanquish's controls and make a scary game out of it.

I thought TEW was Zwei? Zwei was the codename for it. And Ikumi Nakamura is supposed to be the director of The Evil Within.

I'm 99.9999% sure Zwei is The Evil Within.

StuBurns

Banned
I thought TEW was Zwei? Zwei was the codename for it. And Ikumi Nakamura is supposed to be the director of The Evil Within.
Well, it became TEW, but it was clearly very different:

Zwei was to be a vampire hunting action game starring a man and a woman attached by a chain. It was a cooperative game, with part of the gimmick being if someone played alone, they'd control both characters simultaneously with one following the other.
http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

Gaz_RB

Cool OP, OP.

I have my doubts about the game, however. RE4 is my favorite game, and I've loved Mikami's other work, but something just feels off about this game. Animations seem a bit stiff, and the gunplay doesn't seem to be as satisfying as RE4. Also, I hate the crosshair for some reason. I hope they let us turn it off like in RE6. I haven't played the game yet though, so these are just video based impressions. I won't make a decision one way or another until reviews come out or I've got some hands on time with the game.

Looks decidedly creepy though.

Zwei is TEW, and Mikami is the director.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2014/2/20/5425802/shinji-mikami-the-evil-within

With Bethesda in the picture, Tango left Noah behind and started in on a new Mikami-directed triple-A project code-named Zwei — the German word for "two." That name wasn't a coincidence. Zwei was to be a vampire hunting action game starring a man and a woman attached by a chain. It was a cooperative game, with part of the gimmick being if someone played alone, they'd control both characters simultaneously with one following the other.

As time went on, Zwei evolved into a single-player horror game — what Mikami would later call "pure survival horror" — set partially in a mental hospital.
While still under development, The Evil Within is scheduled for release on PlayStation 3 and 4, Xbox 360 and One and PC on August 26.

Mikami gives multiple reasons for the switch, saying he heard feedback that vampires hadn't been popular, and that team members pushed him to make a more traditional horror game. He also jokes that id Software's Creative Director Matt Hooper told him that if Mikami wasn't going to make another survival horror game, then Hooper would do it instead. (In 2008, Hooper spoke publicly about a canceled id survival horror game called Darkness, which coincidentally was the same code name Grasshopper used for Shadows of the Damned.)

Mikami was back where he started, in the director's chair on a horror game.

In April 2013, Bethesda and Tango revealed the game as The Evil Within. Where franchises like Resident Evil and Dead Space have pushed further into the action side of the horror genre in recent years, Tango's game leans more toward survival. Scares over firefights. For Mikami, that's what makes it different than what he's done in recent years.

dolabla

I've always been excited about this game since it was announced. Those previews didn't change my view on the game. What I've seen so far looks good.

Top Bottom