• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I'm still excited for The Evil Within!

saher

Banned
Something about the gifs remind me of RE6, its probably the crosshair.

Are these from the 12 minutes video?

Good to know. The bolded in particular was news to me. It's kinda interesting in retrospect, that my all-time favorite RE game, the second one, was something he wasn't directly involved in.

Yeah, but the game he did create and direct, RE1, was basically copied to make every classic style RE game. And the other game he created and directed, RE 4, was and is still (somewhat poorly) being copied to this day.

Melchiah

Yeah, but the game he did create and direct, RE1, was basically copied to make every classic style RE game. And the other game he created and directed, RE 4, was and is still (somewhat poorly) being copied to this day.

RE2 did everything better though. I've never been a fan of RE4's and its followers' move from horror to action. Not to mention, that RE4's story and characters were ridiculous, even by RE standards. Come to think of it, there seems to be a common element in the games he has directed, a lacking story and goofy dialogue. He does know how to craft good gameplay though.

RE2 did everything better though. I've never been a fan of RE4's and its followers' move from horror to action. Not to mention, that RE4's story and characters were ridiculous, even by RE standards. Come to think of it, there seems to be a common element in the games he has directed, a lacking story and goofy dialogue. He does know how to craft good gameplay though.

Wasn't RE4's story intentionally corny? Not due to terrible localizations like the original games. But yes, the story was fairly terrible, especially when it had the enemies and locations to have a lot of room to build up something special.

Loved the game though despite it.

Journalists playing a "timed" demo wondering why it's action heavy and not a long, drawn out atmospheric story driven experience. Then they complain that the game is a misstep

I thought judging a full game off a demo was over with last gen.

I can't wait for this game.

Had fun with every Mikami game (good review and bad)

Even though it's multi console, this game might push me enough to leap into next gen

Mikami helped with RE2. Didn't he scrap Kamiya's first run at the game because it wasn't any fun.

Melchiah

Wasn't RE4's story intentionally corny? Not due to terrible localizations like the original games. But yes, the story was fairly terrible, especially when it had the enemies and locations to have a lot of room to build up something special.

Loved the game though despite it.

Possibly, but it didn't do any favors for the atmosphere. I remember the radio conversations with Salazar being particularly jarring. I loved the Regenerators, and the accompanying music in the area, though.

Mikami helped with RE2. Didn't he scrap Kamiya's first run at the game because it wasn't any fun.

Do you mean the famous RE1.5 version?

News Bot

Banned

It was Noboru Sugimura who suggested starting over from scratch. Mikami agreed and made it happen, but he didn't give the order. That was Yoshiki Okamoto.

Mikami did suggest scrapping BIO4 and making a new game, but he didn't make the decision. He actually had to go around each individual staff member, convince them, then ask Yoshiki Okamoto to scrap it.

Creatively, he wasn't very involved between 1997-2003. FLAGSHIP had more creative control over the series during that time.

It was intentionally corny to an extent. The localization intentionally just rolled with it and inserted a lot more of the humor to make it even more goofy. Everything else is pretty much just bad writing on Mikami's part. It's not his forte.

Some screens from the last trailer:

zt45qlE.jpg

61Jn3iR.jpg

xei74PU.jpg

J9lh7ek.jpg

s4UzJGv.jpg

IeAffbm.jpg

WSN05tJ.jpg

32xOhCW.jpg

89domPM.jpg

Z6d8mAx.jpg

c1mjfsC.jpg

v4dTAtb.jpg

G9zu1D7.jpg

x7p25tn.jpg

eMfLiLw.jpg

rp3daAo.jpg

funkypie

Banned
I hope you can move around more freely like the classic RE games. for example, the mansion you can explore it to an extent and do things in different order. Hope it is not a corridor.

How did I miss Polygon article !!, Tango Gameworks seems like a great place, I seriously hope that The Evil Within succeeds greatly, and they are able to expand.

Between the sci-fi open world "survival adventure" Noah to the vampire hunting action game starring a man and a woman attached by a chain Zwei, they seem to have great concepts, I want to play them, I would love if the old concept of Zwei gets revived as a SP game, a Vampire Hunting game -no Co-Op- would be so awesome.

I also hope Mikami's vision for Tango studio works out, not sure if Bethesda would let him do anything other than The Evil Within sequels if it is successful.

==========================

I'm getting The Evil Within day one anyway, even with bad reviews, I'll go out and buy it.

Yes and then REmake improved upon everything even more. It's easier to build upon existing concepts than to create brand new ones. Mikami has done both.

Top Bottom