• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 So expensive?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I just bought a jewel case DVD bargain version for 10€.

EDIT: heh, that's not even the right game

Tarazet

That's Dark Alliance II, not Baldur's Gate II. You need to learn your PC RPGs a little better. I made a killing buying loads of that game at Sears for $25 and selling them on Amazon for prices similar to what you see there.

I like Dark Alliance! It's no Baldur's Gate but both games are great console Diablo clones. I'm a little surprised the second one is so rare.

BG:DA2 dev: "Yes, we have that ultra cool water effect!"
They actually said that.

Anyway, Dark Alliance is so boring. Is there a decent hack&slash game? Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows was absolute crap and so are the other ones too.

GhaleonEB

Rocky_Balboa said:
They actually said that.

Anyway, Dark Alliance is so boring. Is there a decent hack&slash game? Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows was absolute crap and so are the other ones too.
I really enjoyed both DA games, the second one much, much more so.

GhaleonEB said:
I really enjoyed both DA games, the second one much, much more so.

Really? I never played the first one, but the second one was so spiritless. It wasn't fun at all. While playing it, I was hoping it to be shorter and shorter. Just hacking and slashing...

Rocky_Balboa said:
They actually said that.

Champions of Norrath: Realms of EverQuest and Champions: Return to Arms. They are from Snowblind, the developer of the first BG: DA.

GhaleonEB

Rocky_Balboa said:
Really? I never played the first one, but the second one was so spiritless. It wasn't fun at all. While playing it, I was hoping it to be shorter and shorter. Just hacking and slashing...
Well, it is a hack and slash game... :)

The first game was very limited in the way you could customize your character and weapons; you didn't level often, and towards the end had to save up points from multiple levels just to do one incremental improvement to your character. There was NO weapon creation at all.

I love being able to customize and create new weapons, many of which had surprise effects. It gave a purpose to the gold and I was always saving up for stuff, unikie the first game. Your character was way more customizable, through combos and other moves. Many of the optional dungeons and areas both repopulated and changed over time (new tunnels dug out, new areas opened), and each character had a custom quest only they could do.

All of which is no big deal if you don't like the gameplay, but I loved it. It's a hack'n'slash. And with two players it's really fun, IMO.

GhaleonEB said:
All of which is no big deal if you don't like the gameplay, but I loved it. It's a hack'n'slash. And with two players it's really fun, IMO.

I agree. At start it was pretty fun, especially the co-op, but after a while it got very repetitive. Maybe I'm spoiled by my memories with Guardian Heroes and other older hack&slash games. Damn, I want to play Guardian Heroes again. :)

GhaleonEB

Rocky_Balboa said:
I agree. At start it was pretty fun, especially the co-op, but after a while it got very repetitive. Maybe I'm spoiled by my memories with Guardian Heroes and other older hack&slash games. Damn, I want to play Guardian Heroes again. :)
Okay, if you're going to compare ANY hack and slash game to Guardian Heroes then they will all look bad. :lol You're right, though. I was playing my Saturn for a few months before I bought the 360 and gave Guardian Heroes some quality time. Such a brilliant, fun game. My big criticism with the Dark Alliance games is that they feel a bit sterile and soulless. GH nailed the gamplay but it also had this great, branching story and an undercurrent of gonzo lunacy (Nando!) running through it. I'm not sure that will ever be topped for sheer joy of diving into a giant throng of guys.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I'm playing this game right now. Very fun. A hundred times better than those shit Champions of Norrath and Untold Legends games. Those games suck.

But yea, ultimately they're just mindless fun to be sure. It had a very small printing and sold like ass, that's why it's pricey.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Chris_C said:
So no one knows why it's so pricey then?

Because Interplay is gone so no more copies are being produced, and those that are left are priced high by the empty shell of Interplay in hopes of making some money.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
BGDA2 slaughters the original, Champions of Norrath, and the Untold Legend atrocities, IMHO.

I think I'll restart that game soon.

Chris_C

Schafer said:
Because Interplay is gone so no more copies are being produced, and those that are left are priced high by the empty shell of Interplay in hopes of making some money.

Thanks, I figured as much. PS. What are the chances SquareEnix will go out of business so my copy of Dragon Quest VIII will be worth $100, pretty good?

ram

Mejilan said:
BGDA2 slaughters the original, Champions of Norrath, and the Untold Legend atrocities, IMHO.

I think I'll restart that game soon.

you gotta be kidding :lol BGDA2 is the worst of the snowblind engine hack and slay games.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I've played all 4 of them, and while none are goty material I'd strongly disagree. BG:DA2 is the most fun. I wish it would have had online like Champions, but that online was pretty broken anyway.

I didn't even freaking realize that Champions of Norrath wasn't some lame tie-in with the other PS2 online versions (what with one of the worst box arts ever), or that it got such respectable scores from publications. I think I'm gonna go pick this up later - I enjoy hack-n-slash games (but mostly, I think, because my expectations going in are always really low).

Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes was pretty good too. It was fun as hell when I played it with two friends(until they did some cheatcodes and ran riot over everything).

And dammit now I'm reminded of my times as a Diablo 2 nut. I think over the course of my D2 career I had gotten 15 characters past level 90. I literally had to snap my installation discs in half just to get myself quit.(Did the same thing with Halo 1 for PC as well since I was averaging close to five hours a day..freaking insane)

I'll give Dark Alliance 2 a look though. I already played through Dark Alliance 1 and Champions of Norrath(great games though I missed jumping in Norrath) and I'm a sucker for anything with phat loot.

Ugh...

Anyone with a PStwo had problems getting their system to recognize the game (Champions of Norrath)? I've gone through three copies (in good condition) and my system won't recognize any of them. Plugged my old PS2 in (that won't read anything, no matter how well the laster is cleaned) and instead of giving me the pink "insert PSX or PS2 format disc" screen it just gives me the regular old "disc read error." I think that means the system at least recognizes the game. Seems a very strange thing to have happen, and hopefully one of my ****ing friends will answer their phones soon so I can actually play this and see if it really is my PStwo (which still reads PSX games that look like someone took a knife to them, old CD PS2 games with blue back, etc).

Tarazet

Schafer said:

I've seen quite a few copies for $30 at Circuit City, and for $25 at Sears. It may be that their wholesale price for independents is really high, but it's more likely that most customers are walking into EB Games asking about the game, being told it has been discontinued, and proceeding to pay a premium on Amazon rather than look for the game at other retail outlets.

Az987

all good things
Yea its like 30 $ or 20$ in stores but its so expensive because its out of print and those people are just trying to rip you off. Its not that rare in stores so my advice is to look around

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My Arms Your Hearse said:
Ugh...

Anyone with a PStwo had problems getting their system to recognize the game (Champions of Norrath)? I've gone through three copies (in good condition) and my system won't recognize any of them. Plugged my old PS2 in (that won't read anything, no matter how well the laster is cleaned) and instead of giving me the pink "insert PSX or PS2 format disc" screen it just gives me the regular old "disc read error." I think that means the system at least recognizes the game. Seems a very strange thing to have happen, and hopefully one of my ****ing friends will answer their phones soon so I can actually play this and see if it really is my PStwo (which still reads PSX games that look like someone took a knife to them, old CD PS2 games with blue back, etc).

I've got a coworker with a slimline PS2 and he claims to not be able to load any DVD9 game. *shrugs*

Top Bottom