• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Criterion making Burnout 5 instead of Black 2?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Not that anything is wrong with a 5th entry in the Burnout series, but why isn't Criterion making a sequel to Black for next-gen systems?

The original Black had slick graphics, yet the entire game was wasted on rudimentary and flawed (hit detection, anyone?) gameplay. Black could have been made an established franchise, and had Criterion fixed the flaws, reworked the gameplay, and made a badass mulitplayer mode from the ground up n a sequel, then Black 2 could have been a total kickass experience.

I guess with the glut of FPSs on the horizon (like Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, Resistance: Fall of Man, etc.), the need to quelch the FPS trigger-finger will be wholefully satisfied. Criterion really should consider expanding the Black name down the road for X360 and PS3. I'd really like to see what Criterion can do with a modified Black engine running on X360 and PS3 hardware.....especially taking advantage of its insane particle-effect system.

Oh yeah, I'd like a deep story for Black 2 as well. :)

Wollan

The top Criterion guy is handling 7 projects atm and the Black team is working hard on an unannounced game in the states.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
...because the game simply wasn't that good. High quality FPS titles could be done on previous generation hardware and they simply didn't get the job done with Black. It was a beautiful game, but the gameplay mechanics were weak.

Perhaps they can give it another try later, but Burnout is what they do best and a true next-gen Burnout is a must.

Sean

Banned
Anyone have the NPD sales data for Black? I thought the sales were underwhelming.

I'd rather Criterion focus on making Burnout the best it can be. Black was a big disappointment IMO.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Wait, are you basically asking why Criterion wouldn't make Black 2 when all they'd have to do to make the game good is completely rework it from the ground up (aside from the graphics, I guess), while Burnout 5 would just have to be another evolution of the series? I think the answer should be self-evident.

Wollan

I had a very good time with my play through of Black. The action and weapons are top notch.
In retro respect the ai is very basic though, it's functional but the ai in Killzone was more ambitious(but way more glitchy). Killzone is still the PS2 fps that feels the most 'next gen' on the hardware(movements, ai..etc) but Black was much better made as it didn't have any flaws, glitches, bugs..etc. It's kinda hard to explain but the scope felt less than KZ.

Hmmmm. Black actually seems to have sold better than I thought. So I would guess development costs?

EA probably also wants to turn Burnout into a yearly franchise, like NFS.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
trancejeremy said:
EA probably also wants to turn Burnout into a yearly franchise, like NFS.

I don't know if you can put it on EA, there was only a year between Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge, and going back further people forget that there was only a year between Burnout and Burnout 2. It was only Burnout 2 to Burnout 3 that was a 2 year deal.

Sean said:
Anyone have the NPD sales data for Black? I thought the sales were underwhelming.

I'd rather Criterion focus on making Burnout the best it can be. Black was a big disappointment IMO.

PS2 410k
XBX 236k

Black was underrated. It was a great game that provided an adrenaline rush through old-school FPS sensibilities. It was a nice stroll down memory lane, back to a time when an FPS didnt need realism, tactics, advanced AI, or anything of that nature to be fun, just great level design, constant pressure from wave after wave of foes, and bunch of really nice guns to kill **** with. It was over far too quickly, and a multiplayer mode would have been nice, but Ive gone back to replay it many times over. Aside from Darkwatch, its at the top of the 'FPSes that need a sequel' file.

black_13

Banned
yeah I think it had potential. And while at it just get rid of the boring ass outdoor jungle levels. Those were terrible. I want lots more in door/street level environments.

Gigglepoo

Kumiko Nikaido said:
I guess with the glut of FPSs on the horizon (like Gears of War

Gear of War isn't a FPS :)

But I'm sure there will be Black 2 in a year or so. I mean, the first was really fun, why not see what can come from it?

dslgunstar said:
Black was underrated. It was a great game that provided an adrenaline rush through old-school FPS sensibilities. It was a nice stroll down memory lane, back to a time when an FPS didnt need realism, tactics, advanced AI, or anything of that nature to be fun, just great level design, constant pressure from wave after wave of foes, and bunch of really nice guns to kill **** with. It was over far too quickly, and a multiplayer mode would have been nice, but Ive gone back to replay it many times over. Aside from Darkwatch, its at the top of the 'FPSes that need a sequel' file.

haha all that "gun fetish" in black had an effect on me :D

kenta

Has no PEINS
Alex Ward confirmed that Black was the first game in a trilogy before it even came out, so hang in there

I thought Black was neat and saw room for improvement, I'm anxious to see what they turn the series into

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Because they announced Burnout 5 means to you they can't possibly work on (an)other game(s)? :)

I thought Black was very boring run-of-the-mill gameplay. Cool effects and sounds though!

guise

Black got boring after about 2 hours. At least burnout took a few games in the series before it bored me.

Still, ENOUGH OF THE GODDAMN SEQUELS.

dslgunstar said:

Have you played Serious Sam? That was old school done right. Black did look shiny, and sounded great, but turned to shit as soon as the bullet left the barrel.

As for the original question, someone mentioned that *all* they need to do to make a new Black is remake everything (assuming new graphics for nextgen console). Burnout needs new courses, new music, and some new gimmick addition and I'd probably get it.

X26

Banned
kenta said:
Alex Ward confirmed that Black was the first game in a trilogy before it even came out, so hang in there

In that case, it was doomed from the start

see also: Advent Rising, Too Human

Top Bottom