• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is Game Freak so incompetent?

JoeM86

I don't like all the extreme positions many have taken here (Joe on one side, and Pie and Beans on the other, to take two examples).

But.

I played Pokémon X and yeah, it was a bit disappointing on a technical side. They have high-polygons models? Then, they should have sacrified a bit the looking in battles and give a proper framerate and a propert worldmap.

What is a "proper" world map?

What is a "proper" world map?

A world-map that is not composed of highly frequent repetition of the same tiles; that it doesn't have such a striking variety of different camera angles and style (much more homogeneous); and doesn't have such a low quality of textures and patterns.

Sometimes it does make wonder why did they use so many polygons on Pokémon models. At least the Pokémon look pretty much pretty much perfect when viewed in battle...

12K polygons on a model...in what ballpark would such a model be considered in terms of home console generation terms?

The regular overworld sections of the Pokémon games do leave something to be desired, but they also look like how it looked like back in the Game Boy Advance days, except in polygonal 3D (not stereoscopic 3D for the most part, mind you). I suspect the art style choice is intentional. The fact that the style choice occasionally makes for an underwhelming look might be a mixed bag.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Yeah the framrate is a little janky but, Jesus , those Pokémon models look AMAZING!

Hard to believe that's running on the 3ds.

Although this is coming from the guy who thinks Perfect Dark is one of the best fps games ever and that ran at about 3fps.

Wow. I don't play the Pokemon games at all, but didn't know things were this bad. I wouldn't expect something like this from Nintendo or anyone so closely affiliated with Nintendo. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, a little surprised that these games are coming so soon after the last Pokemon games.

Wow. I don't play the Pokemon games at all, but didn't know things were this bad. I wouldn't expect something like this from Nintendo or anyone so closely affiliated with Nintendo. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, a little surprised that these games are coming so soon after the last Pokemon games.

Don´t take those rediculous posts at face value. It does not run at 15 fps
in 2D

sd28821

whilst i can agree that they need to sort out the frame rate most other things seem to be concious design choices .

Sometimes it does make wonder why did they use so many polygons on Pokémon models. At least the Pokémon look pretty much pretty much perfect when viewed in battle...

12K polygons on a model...in what ballpark would such a model be considered in terms of home console generation terms?

The regular overworld sections of the Pokémon games do leave something to be desired, but they also look like how it looked like back in the Game Boy Advance days, except in polygonal 3D (not stereoscopic 3D for the most part, mind you). I suspect the art style choice is intentional. The fact that the style choice occasionally makes for an underwhelming look might be a mixed bag.
Around 360/PS3.

Polygons aside, Pokémon models are wonderfully animated in X and Y:

archeops.gif
sigilyph.gif
tauros.gif

JoeM86

They created the models in advance, that's why Pokédex 3D Pro was made...to show them off. They made the models to be a standard across the Pokémon games, with different styling used if necessary.

These models were used in Pokédex 3D Pro with their semi-"realistic"aesthetic, X & Y with the Sugimori aesthetic and down-polygon'd/textured in the recent Dungeon game.

3DS can handle them, so they thought why not? Plus with this many polygons, the Pokémon can move more fluidly and awesomely

A world-map that is not composed of highly frequent repetition of the same tiles; that it doesn't have such a striking variety of different camera angles and style (much more homogeneous); and doesn't have such a low quality of textures and patterns.

It's an intentional style choice. They aren't "low quality", they are specifically simple. Pokémon is not meant to be a huge realistic game.

With Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, they are even more intentionally going for it to match the style of the game they're remaking.

Pokémon has a style that they have adopted, and they intend to keep it. You may not like that, and that's fine, but to call it lazy, poor quality and calling the developers incompetent because of that, that's a bit much.

gerudoman

It's very difficult for the industry to meet high consumer expectations.

3D for 3DS for everything at a solid 30-60fps.
1080p and 60fps for consoles.

Yeah, what's with those gamers and their ridiculously high demands? It's not like they're going to pay for developers' work.

I don't like all the extreme positions many have taken here (Joe on one side, and Pie and Beans on the other, to take two examples).

But.

I played Pokémon X and yeah, it was a bit disappointing on a technical side. They have high-polygons models? Then, they should have sacrified a bit the looking in battles and give a proper framerate and a propert worldmap.

Still doesn't change the fact that people who kept claiming those other games were pushing more polys with higher framerates were factually wrong. At least as far as battles go

That has nothing to do with competency. It's a design decision. You may not like it, but it has nothing to do with competency.

They also like to stay true to the originals in the first part of the game with remakes. For example, FireRed & LeafGreen even blocked you from evolving Pokémon into ones that weren't in the original 151.

That was a horrible idea too, why do you think they didn't keep that restriction in HGSS?

Keyouta

At least they don't have to make new models for the Pokémon going forward, excluding the ones being introduced in each new generation. Can't wait to see how Pokémon will look like on Nintendo's next handheld, with a nice 480 or 720p screen.

Famassu

I hate 3d it's such a dumb gimmick anyway.
I can never understand this line of thinking. 3D is not a "dumb gimmick", that's like calling higher framerate a dumb gimmick. I don't see how anyone can even argue that adding depth to what you are seeing is a bad thing. Yeah, 3DS' way of doing it is not perfect and 3D works better for some games than others, but 3D itself is an awesome addition and I'm sad that Sony, for example, is not pushing it more with PS4 like they did with PS3. Whatever Nintendo's next handheld is after new 3DS, I hope they don't abandon 3D, especially now that they have mostly fixed it with N3DS.

Raziel

I was considering making a thread for this a week or so ago, but didn't think it was worth it.

Pokémon's art seems a little bit - I dunno - bland?

I mean, it was fair game during the GB and GBA era where hardware limitations forced a certain kind of art style.

ZvWr5AQ.gif

QGY4x9d.jpg

But then we start moving into more powerful systems like the DS. An opportunity to add some variety to that strict tile-based overworld, right?

Hold on, what's this?

pokemon-hg-screenshot1.png

13946_4b85c0cfb327b.jpg

Is that the exact same thing, just in 2.5D?

Maybe with the 3DS...

Pok%C3%A9mon_X_and_Y_screenshot_13.jpg

Ma2P6aU.png

Of course not. Because what do you expect by this point?

With games like Rayman and Rune Factory pushing the boundaries of 2D with gorgeous hand-painted art, it kills me to see Game Freak - for the most part - doing the same thing artistically that they were doing 15 years ago, and using an added dimension (or half) as an excuse for it.

I really wish you made that thread. The series comprises one of the saddest and ugliest visual evolutions I've seen unfold. They're just as incompetent for not hiring new artists as much as programmers.

When i read the Title, i thought gamefreak was like the Game Genie or Game Shark cheats. Ah memories. I wish the pokemon games would have more 3D and better frame rate too.

I can never understand this line of thinking. 3D is not a "dumb gimmick", that's like calling higher framerate a dumb gimmick. I don't see how anyone can even argue that adding depth to what you are seeing is a bad thing. Yeah, 3DS' way of doing it is not perfect and 3D works better for some games than others, but 3D itself is an awesome addition and I'm sad that Sony, for example, is not pushing it more with PS4 like they did with PS3. Whatever Nintendo's next handheld is after new 3DS, I hope they don't abandon 3D, especially now that they have mostly fixed it with N3DS.

3D was a dumb gimmick in the 80s, and it's still a dumb gimmick now.

Why is Game Freak so incompetent?

The question should be why do its fans continue to support this incompetence?

This question can really be expanded to include the rest of Nintendo's ecosystem.

A company is only as good as their consumers demand them to be and so far it seems like Nintendo fans are content with seeing Nintendo rest at the bottom of the industry's boots.

I don't know in what universe a person can compare a basic stability-related feature like framerate to something gimmicky and unnecessary like 3D.

They're completely different kinds of things.

3D is a dumb gimmick, always was and always will be, AR and VR are infinitely superior. And lol at comparing framerate to 3D.

Top Bottom